Cumulative upkeep (Black) (At the beginning of your upkeep, put an age counter on this permanent, then sacrifice it unless you pay its upkeep cost for each age counter on it.)
At the end of your turn, draw a card for each age counter on Phyrexian Etchings.
When Phyrexian Etchings is put into a graveyard from play, you lose 2 life for each age counter on it.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Phyrexian Etchings Discussion
1 week ago
This is Bean.
- Counterbalance (price for this on here is wrong, it's like $5 on tcgplayer. In fact, a lot of these prices are wrong)
- Frozen AEther
- Mana Maze
- Leyline of Anticipation
- Animate Dead
- Dance of the Dead
- Copy Enchantment
- Aura of Silence
- Arcane Laboratory
- Tainted Remedy
- Oblivion Ring
- Banishing Light
- Sphere of Safety
- Spirit of the Labyrinth
- Aegis of the Gods
- Eidolon of Rhetoric
- Supreme Verdict
- Rhystic Study
- Mystic Remora (Combos with Solemnity, as does any cumulative upkeep cards)
- Phyrexian Etchings
- Mind Harness
- Enlightened Tutor
- Dance of Many
- Pendrell Flux
- Vile Consumption
- Mana Web
- Praetor's Grasp
- Oppressive Rays
- Aqueous Form
- Suppression Field
- Future Sight + Sensei's Divining Top + Etherium Sculptor or Helm of Awakening = draw you whole deck
- Stasis Snare
- Temporal Isolation
- Spirit Mantle
- Starfield of Nyx
- Phyrexian Unlife (play this first) + Ad Nauseam = Draw your whole deck. Unlife says: you can't lose the game for having 0 or less life, and all damage to dealt to you when below 0 life is instead dealt in poison counters. Ad Naus doesn't deal damage to you, it's loss of life and so you can pay as much life as you want, draw your deck, and not gain any counters. Works fantastically with all the Propaganda/Sphere of Safety effects, if you run them. Worst case scenario, just put Solemnity out and you can't gain poison counters :D
More expensive options, or later upgrades to the deck:
- Show and Tell + Omniscience (can allow you to potentially cast any number of game ending combos, i.e. Enter the Infinite + Laboratory Maniac + draw)
- Serra's Sanctum
- Dark Depths (combos with Solemnity)
- Idyllic Tutor
- Runed Halo
- Greater Auramancy
- Bitterblossom + Contamination
- Leyline of the Void, can also combo with: Mindcrank + Bloodchief Ascension, infinite combo while it exiles opponents libraries since Leyline of the Void is out.
- Leyline of Sanctity
3 months ago
Also, needs more Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx. Also also, cut that Blue Sun's Zenith bs. That card is garbage and I'll fight anyone who disagrees. You have so many better options in black: Grim Haruspex, Dark Prophecy, Infernal Tribute for god's sake, Necropotence if you're a wanker, ffs Mentor of the Meek does work in a deck shitting out 2/2 zombies. Also, get rid of Rhystic Study for essentially the same reason. Don't play staples just because they're staples. Find ways to get those effects that synergize with your decks' strategies. It'll make your decks feel and play more uniquely which is doubly rewarding in that it is satisfying to have created something special, and it's less predictable and interruptible because you keep your opponents' off balance. Everyone is expecting Rhystic Study, nobody is expecting Phyrexian Etchings, or to have it Donated to them after you used it for 10 turns...
3 months ago
5 months ago
When Firebones675 said black draw, my mind, for some reason, jumped straight to Phyrexian Etchings, but I wouldn't really take the risk... Sigh... Too bad Yawgmoth's Bargain and Griselbrand are EDH banned... oh well...
5 months ago
ive tried the list without lili, but it sounds like youd rather go budget.
the obvious choices are more removal (id probably start with Murderous Cut or splash green for Abrupt Decay),
bobs, more nighthawks, or even Geralf's Messenger,
Kuon, Ogre Ascendant could be pretty sweet if Fatal Push becomes more dominant,
Underworld Connections and Phyrexian Etchings are both pretty sweet in decks like this that have more than enough mana,
tasigur and Gurmag Angler would also work great as there isnt anything else youre doing with your graveyard,
and even a kalitas or two would work well with all the deathtouch creatures.
i really like the sound of mainboard Fulminator Mages though,
especially since this deck has literally no game against tron
8 months ago
The problem that I have with Starfield is that if you can't one shot the table you leave yourself open to a board wipe ruining your day unless you have a replenish on hand, as I don't really have an issue closing the game it's not something I'd be looking at, at the moment.
I'm considering something like Phyrexian Etchings, but I should probably look at using the tutors more aggressively to search up necro.
8 months ago
there are a few card draw spells that I might suggest for this deck Carnage Altar, Damnable Pact, Dark Prophecy, Decree of Pain, Dregs of Sorrow, Erebos, God of the Dead, Fruit of the First Tree, Greed, Inheritance, Insist, Mind's Eye, Nantuko Cultivator, Necrologia,Symbiotic Deployment Phyrexian Etchings, Well of Discovery, Wretched Confluence
Now, all of these are not perfect, and some will probably be easily vetoed but they all can function as good card draw in your deck. Well, besides insist, but that card is just nice to have.
10 months ago
If you can, I'd recommend buying the 2014 Commander set - it's got a core of useful/strong elves.
You've got a lot of 1-off spells. I've found those to be less-useful in EDH, as they don't get you any card advantage, which is huge in EDH. Generally it's better to get more use from your spells than a 1-for-1. Examples:
- Bane of Progress not only boardwipes all artifacts and enchantments, but it also gives you a decent body to go along with it.
- Nullmage Shepherd is repeatable art/ench control, which is far better than a "cast it once and that's it" Naturalize (at least swap Naturalize for Tribute to the Wild).
- Creatures like Gilt-Leaf Winnower are a kill AND a body AND an Elf, whereas a Doom Blade is just a kill. If it dies, you can get it back and kill again. Hunter of Eyeblights is even more repeatable than the Winnower, especially if your meta has a good number of counters (doesn't have to be +1/+1, any sort of counters will do). Overseer of the Damned is a kill and a body and tokens.
Depending on your meta (mine has a ridiculous amount of graveyard recursion), I would recommend removing all "destroy" effects which do nothing else, replacing them with something more multipurpose, or at least exile/shuffle.
You've got the lifegain to support it, so i would HIGHLY recommend adding some of the strong life-for-cards enchantments. Dark Prophecy will work with tokens, and makes boardwipes a lot less bad.Phyrexian Etchings can get painful, but after three turns it becomes more efficient and more quick than Phyrexian Arena (1 card for two life, or 3 (1+2) cards for 4 life, or 6 (1+2+3) cards for 6 life, or 10 (1+2+3+4) cards for 8 life, etc). It doesn't matter if you have 100 life if you have no cards in hand - you're going to lose. Speaking of lifegain, something like Sanguine Bond makes it an offense as well as a defense.
I've had mixed feelings about Null Profusion and Recycle. If you have other draw effects, they can be ridiculously good, otherwise you can end up in a run of lands and draw nothing. Fortunately in EDH you've always got your commander to trigger the draw effects - if you get desperate, you can kill him to recast.
Decree of Pain is a wonderful boardwipe. I see a glaring lack of mass control here. If you have enough draw, a wipe is a lot more recoverable for you than other players, as elves make mana like nobody else. Something like Killing Wave allows you to make your lifegain work for you, and hurt your opponents. Combined with creatures like Blood Artist you can turn it into a win no matter what - either they die from the life loss keeping creatures alive or they die from the life loss when creatures die.
Sword of the Paruns and similar allow you to just win the game outright, given the right creature combo (ex: Elvish Archdruid and Ezuri, Renegade Leader). I'm not a fan of infinite combos, but a guy in my meta had that combo, and if he kept the pieces he would just win.
A lack of haste effects makes cards Elvish Archdruid and Priest of Titania significantly less effective. I would add both Swiftfoot Boots and Lightning Greaves, because otherwise you have to hope that nobody kills your creatures by the time it finally becomes your turn again. Similarly, effects like Vedalken Orrery and Yeva, Nature's Herald allow you to protect your creatures as long as possible - they can't die if they're in your hand.