Cumulative upkeep (Black) (At the beginning of your upkeep, put an age counter on this permanent, then sacrifice it unless you pay its upkeep cost for each age counter on it.)
At the end of your turn, draw a card for each age counter on Phyrexian Etchings.
When Phyrexian Etchings is put into a graveyard from play, you lose 2 life for each age counter on it.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Phyrexian Etchings Discussion
3 weeks ago
If you plan to go creature heavy, add more Bontu's Monument, and take advantage of the best color to draw cards, which prevent you from being ground out, by removal, the opponent having bigger creatures, or discard engines.
(Sign in Blood; Night's Whisper; Phyrexian Arena or more extreme stuff like Vampire Hexmage + Phyrexian Etchings, or go big/go home Null Profusion - which is suicidal if the opponent has discard, and is also too slow for modern)
Some good hate against the graveyards like Leyline of the Void/Nihil Spellbomb/Ravenous Trap.
Same is true about having ways do attack combo with stuff like Duress.
1 month ago
Phyrexian Etchings cumulative upkeep mana cost counts towards devotion, yes? If so, this is a genius deck.
1 month ago
I also think the deck needs more cheap card draw. Maybe a few more enchantments or artifacts for reusability, like Phyrexian Etchings.
2 months ago
This is Bean.
- Counterbalance (price for this on here is wrong, it's like $5 on tcgplayer. In fact, a lot of these prices are wrong)
- Frozen AEther
- Mana Maze
- Leyline of Anticipation
- Animate Dead
- Dance of the Dead
- Copy Enchantment
- Aura of Silence
- Arcane Laboratory
- Tainted Remedy
- Oblivion Ring
- Banishing Light
- Sphere of Safety
- Spirit of the Labyrinth
- Aegis of the Gods
- Eidolon of Rhetoric
- Supreme Verdict
- Rhystic Study
- Mystic Remora (Combos with Solemnity, as does any cumulative upkeep cards)
- Phyrexian Etchings
- Mind Harness
- Enlightened Tutor
- Dance of Many
- Pendrell Flux
- Vile Consumption
- Mana Web
- Praetor's Grasp
- Oppressive Rays
- Aqueous Form
- Suppression Field
- Future Sight + Sensei's Divining Top + Etherium Sculptor or Helm of Awakening = draw you whole deck
- Stasis Snare
- Temporal Isolation
- Spirit Mantle
- Starfield of Nyx
- Phyrexian Unlife (play this first) + Ad Nauseam = Draw your whole deck. Unlife says: you can't lose the game for having 0 or less life, and all damage to dealt to you when below 0 life is instead dealt in poison counters. Ad Naus doesn't deal damage to you, it's loss of life and so you can pay as much life as you want, draw your deck, and not gain any counters. Works fantastically with all the Propaganda/Sphere of Safety effects, if you run them. Worst case scenario, just put Solemnity out and you can't gain poison counters :D
More expensive options, or later upgrades to the deck:
- Show and Tell + Omniscience (can allow you to potentially cast any number of game ending combos, i.e. Enter the Infinite + Laboratory Maniac + draw)
- Serra's Sanctum
- Dark Depths (combos with Solemnity)
- Idyllic Tutor
- Runed Halo
- Greater Auramancy
- Bitterblossom + Contamination
- Leyline of the Void, can also combo with: Mindcrank + Bloodchief Ascension, infinite combo while it exiles opponents libraries since Leyline of the Void is out.
- Leyline of Sanctity
5 months ago
Also, needs more Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx. Also also, cut that Blue Sun's Zenith bs. That card is garbage and I'll fight anyone who disagrees. You have so many better options in black: Grim Haruspex, Dark Prophecy, Infernal Tribute for god's sake, Necropotence if you're a wanker, ffs Mentor of the Meek does work in a deck shitting out 2/2 zombies. Also, get rid of Rhystic Study for essentially the same reason. Don't play staples just because they're staples. Find ways to get those effects that synergize with your decks' strategies. It'll make your decks feel and play more uniquely which is doubly rewarding in that it is satisfying to have created something special, and it's less predictable and interruptible because you keep your opponents' off balance. Everyone is expecting Rhystic Study, nobody is expecting Phyrexian Etchings, or to have it Donated to them after you used it for 10 turns...
5 months ago
7 months ago
When Firebones675 said black draw, my mind, for some reason, jumped straight to Phyrexian Etchings, but I wouldn't really take the risk... Sigh... Too bad Yawgmoth's Bargain and Griselbrand are EDH banned... oh well...
7 months ago
ive tried the list without lili, but it sounds like youd rather go budget.
the obvious choices are more removal (id probably start with Murderous Cut or splash green for Abrupt Decay),
bobs, more nighthawks, or even Geralf's Messenger,
Kuon, Ogre Ascendant could be pretty sweet if Fatal Push becomes more dominant,
Underworld Connections and Phyrexian Etchings are both pretty sweet in decks like this that have more than enough mana,
tasigur and Gurmag Angler would also work great as there isnt anything else youre doing with your graveyard,
and even a kalitas or two would work well with all the deathtouch creatures.
i really like the sound of mainboard Fulminator Mages though,
especially since this deck has literally no game against tron