|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Rare|
|Magic 2015 (M15)||Rare|
|Modern Event Deck (MD1)||Rare|
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Rare|
|Ninth Edition (9ED)||Rare|
|Ninth Edition Foreign Black Border (9EDFBB)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Caves of Koilos
Add to your mana pool.
: Add or to your mana pool. Caves of Koilos deals 1 damage to you.
Caves of Koilos Discussion
14 hours ago
Hey, welcome to TappedOut :) Saw your forum topic asking for help. Very nice first deck. I'm here to give advice therefore I'm going to suggest a lot of upgrades. I hope this doesn't upset you as this is by no means a slight on your deck building.
Orzhov is a really hot guild right now for causal Commander because of Teysa Karlov. Tymna is one of the best Orzhov creatures in Commander, but to abuse her ability you want evasive creatures because they have to do combat damage to opponents to draw cards. Consider expanding on the theme of tokens, Spirit tokens (afterlife) and other flying tokens/creatures? Tokens are good with Teysa as well as Ravos since he's an anthem. Teysa gives tokens lifelink which is helpful to regain life after losing it to draw from Tymna.
Budget cards ($4 or less each) to consider adding:
- Caves of Koilos
- Tainted Field
- Reliquary Tower : staple land, no max hand size is helpful when playing and utilizing Tynma as well as Skullclamp.
- Luminarch Ascension : powerful card in multiplayer Commander since it looks at each opponent's end step. Repeatable source of 4/4 flying tokens is amazing.
- Doomed Traveler : combines with Skullclamp and Teysa to draw lots of cards.
- Tithe Taker : same as Traveler as well as makes it harder for your opponents to cast spells or activate abilities during your turn.
- Aven Mindcensor : staple white creature, tutors are a huge part of Commander this prevents your opponents from using them effectively. Flying helps with Tynma.
- Reveillark : staple white creature, combos with Karmic Guide and is very good with Teysa. Can reanimate Teysa/Tynma as well as creatures with afterlife. Good with recursion of Ravos.
- Karmic Guide : staple white creature, combos with Reveillark to reanimate lots of 2 or less power creatures. Good with recursion of Ravos.
- Spectral Procession
- Lingering Souls
- Blind Obedience : helps to clear away some blockers to do combat damage to opponents. Mana rocks are huge part of Commander and this prevents your opponents from using rocks the turn they play them. Extort is nice to gain some life and make opponents lose life.
- Spirit Bonds : repeatable way to make flying tokens.
- Edgewalker : Tymna and Ravos are Clerics this reduces their mana costs. Tymna costs only one mana and Ravos three mana. There's also a lot of other Clerics here.
- Pitiless Plunderer : creates treasures, very good with Teysa and a sac outlet. Works with tokens.
- Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim : sac outlet and repeatable exile. With Edgewalker she's free to cast.
- Soul Warden : gain life when creatures ETB (enter the battlefield) even opponents creatures, tokens ETB when they're created.
- Soul's Attendant : same as Warden.
- Sun Titan : staple white creature, reanimate any 3 or less permanent when ETB or attacks is great.
- Swords to Plowshares : staple white removal, exile is very helpful in Commander.
- Crush Contraband : exiling any two artifacts or enchantments at instant speed for four mana is good.
- Orzhov Signet : two drop mana rock.
Can add all these cards for about $25. All for less than one Demonic Tutor , haha :)
Cards to consider cutting:
- Orzhov Guildgate
- New Benalia
- Forge of Heroes
- Basilica Bell-Haunt
- Ghost Council of Orzhova
- Loyal Unicorn
- Necrotic Ooze
- Regal Bloodlord
- Skeletal Vampire
- Syndicate Guildmage
- Visara the Dreadful
- Butcher of Malakir
- Hero of Precinct One
- Pitiless Pontiff
- Perpetual Timepiece
- Blessing of Leeches
- Open the Graves
- Consecrate / Consume
- In Garruk's Wake
- Pull from Eternity
- Sorin, Grim Nemesis
Good luck with your deck.
5 days ago
Hey, if you like control and your meta is that much aggro then you probably want to play primary white for board wipes ( Day of Judgment , Supreme Verdict , Fumigate , etc.) and anti-aggro cards ( Blind Obedience , Authority of the Consuls , Ghostly Prison , Swords to Plowshares , etc.)
To help your $120 budget for the manabase you could can play Oloro as two primary colors (blue and white) and only splash black for him using some budget lands in the manabase ( Swamp , Command Tower , Exotic Orchard (if an opponent is playing black), Caves of Koilos , Sunken Hollow , Choked Estuary , etc.) and budget mana rocks ( Dimir Signet , Orzhov Signet , Fellwar Stone (if an opponent is playing black), Talisman of Dominance , Commander's Sphere , Chromatic Lantern , etc.)
1 week ago
1 week ago
Artful Dodge has value even when discarded. If possible, stay away from enchantments and favor artifacts - they stay on the field after your commander dies to a boardwipe. Gift of Immortality is good for bring back Chromium, the Mutable , since he costs 7 mana, then 9 mana, so you should be careful about his destruction. Command Tower and Caves of Koilos are some cheap lands you should consider.
1 week ago
1 week ago
Hey, an idea to consider is to use Aminatou, but play base white and blue, just splashing black only for her. This would simplify the manabase making it essentially a two color manabase with a few budget dual lands/mana rocks that can make black such as Command Tower , Caves of Koilos , Exotic Orchard , Sunken Hollow , Signets/Talismans, Fellwar Stone , Commander's Sphere and Chromatic Lantern .
Lavinia, Azorius Renegade and Aven Mindcensor are cards to consider to help against your Jodah opponent. Lavinia counters spells that are cast for free, she shuts down Omniscience. Her other ability stops your opponents from casting noncreature spells that are higher mana cost than the amount of lands that they control. Jodah's ability lets your opponent ignore normal mana costs of cards, but Lavinia stops this for noncreature cards because she looks at the actual mana cost of a card that's cast no matter what.
Mindcensor helps to even the playing field against your opponent's tutors. Instead of your opponent searching their entire library for a card they can only search the top four cards which is a big difference. This card stops Conflux. Against Jodah you want to try to keep him off the battlefield or shut him down when he's on the battlefield. Imprisoned in the Moon , Deep Freeze and Darksteel Mutation are enchantments that when Jodah is enchanted by one of them he loses his ability to change the mana cost of spells. They also don't kill Jodah this means that enchanted Jodah stays on the battlefield, but is useless for your opponent until he/she or another opponent can remove the enchantment. Since they're enchantments you can blink them with Aminatou and change what creature you enchant.
Another idea is if you want to make a completely new deck with a new Commander is consider Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow ? She's one of the strongest cards in the precon and is only two colors. A deck built around her however will be completely different than one with Aminatou. To make a deck from start to finish I think would be a very good learning experience for you.
2 weeks ago
You might consider putting some more ramp pieces to cast your 7+ mana spells: Hedron Archive and Gilded Lotus . // Caves of Koilos , Prairie Stream , Sunken Hollow , Underground River and Darkwater Catacombs are some cheap lands that fit Oloro.
2 weeks ago
Since most of your deck is green-white, Sungrass Prairie might be a good inclusion. You could take out Myriad Landscape for Krosan Verge , that can grab all 4 colors for you (e.g. Godless Shrine and Cinder Glade ). Blighted Woodland is ramp stapled on a land. Caves of Koilos and Llanowar Wastes are also cheap.
Caves of Koilos occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.09%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.1%
W/B (Orzhov): 1.62%
W/U/B (Esper): 0.86%
RBW (Mardu): 1.54%
BGW (Abzan, Junk): 3.15%