|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|From the Vault: Twenty||Mythic Rare|
|Duel Decks: Jace vs. Chandra||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Fact or Fiction
Reveal the top five cards of your library. An opponent separates those cards into two piles. Put one pile into your hand and the other into your graveyard.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Fact or Fiction Discussion
7 minutes ago
1 day ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!
5 days ago
Do you feel like you have enough targets for Skill Borrower? In the whole deck I'm counting fewer than 10 activated abilities it can copy. I'd rather have those cards in my hand to cast than sitting on top of my deck.
6 days ago
Oh, also, coreman, in my paper list, I've replaced a forest with Reliquary Tower and my Fact or Fiction with Diabolic Tutor. The third tutor makes a huge difference for me thus far in testing, and the Tower works well with Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur.
1 week ago
I love a good budget deck. You appear new to building EDH decks so forgive me if I come off as pedantic or tell you something you already know. You have no description so I have very little to go off--hint hint. I will keep budget in mind.
Well, since your commander is a little pricey, mana-wise, I would add more ramp. Sol Ring, Dimir Signet, maybe Mind Stone or Worn Powerstone. Card-draw is like pseudo-ramp so a few more card-draw engines would help you with your land drops. Phyrexian Arena isn't budget per se but it's an all-star card for EDH. Perhaps Fact or Fiction, Blue Sun's Zenith, or something similar.
I would add commander protection, unless you feel he is tertiary to the deck itself. Whispersilk Cloak is a no-brainer, and I'd add Swiftfoot Boots as well. Mask of Avacyn is a half-decent budget option. The rest tend to be pricey, a la Champion's Helm and Lightning Greaves.
2 weeks ago
Since this came from the M15 precon, ill assume this is budget(correct me if I'm wrong). The following suggestions will assume budget.
Baral, Chief of Compliance- pretty decent card here.
2 weeks ago
I would suggest the following extra cards:
- Diregraf Captain
- Rooftop Storm
- Diregraf Colossus
- Zombie Apocalypse
- Fleshbag Marauder
- Ancient Excavation
- Unbreathing Horde
- Forgotten Creation
- Corpse Harvester
- Graf Harvest
- Vengeful Dead
- Noxious Ghoul
- Liliana's Reaver
- Corpse Connoisseur
- Geralf's Mindcrusher
- Fact or Fiction
- Forbidden Alchemy
- Dark Salvation
Aim for at leist 35 lands I would suggest for now.
All options I posted are budget options. The more expensive cards I left ut for now.
3 weeks ago
Why no Epic Experiment? In a deck loaded with as many instants and sorceries as this, it finishes games, or at least always promises massive amounts of value.
Jace's Sanctum makes casting your spells cheaper, and you can scry away your topdeck for Melek if necessary.
Sphinx-Bone Wand helps burn away opponents faster, or functions as repeatable removal.
Reverberate is a powerful tool that gives you extra value, or counters an opponent's counterspell.
Ponder is a cantrip that fixes your topdeck; absolutely essential with Melek.
Izzet Signet ramps and fixes your mana. You are currently running zero mana rocks, which I think is a huge mistake.
Mystic Retrieval gives you insane value off a topdeck with Melek, and even more when you flashback it. You can't get much more value out of a single card.
Rite of Replication is an alternative wincon if you absolutely need creatures to win; say an opponent has hexproof and you can no longer burn them to death. You're going to need to find another way, and in a format swarming with gigantic value creatures, Replication is the way to go. Also a kicked Replication off the top sounds insane.
Mystical Tutor is your Demonic Tutor variant this deck desperately needs. Grabs whatever you need to stabilize, remove, counter, or straight-up win. Did I mention it also immediately puts the card on top for synergy with your commander?
Fact or Fiction is an incredible value card that often effectively draws you three cards at instant speed.
Mizzix's Mastery will finish games for you. After a long hard-fought EDH game, your graveyard will be full of instants and sorceries, all ready to copy and blast your opponents into dust.
Past in Flames is similar to Mizzix's Mastery, except you can choose which spells you want to cast, and Past in Flames itself has flashback.
In order to make this a competitive creatureless EDH deck, I strongly recommend the above suggestions, and including some more mana rocks to pay for the more expensive spells. If you're finding that you're continuing to lose games without getting these value cards, I suggest using creatures to supplement until you can acquire them.