|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic Game Night (GNT)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Zombie you control get +1/+1.
When Liliana's Mastery enters the battlefield, create two 2/2 black Zombie tokens.
Liliana's Mastery Discussion
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
Some cards to consider:
- Bojuka Bog : A must include in any black commander deck.
- Boneknitter : Utility, simple as that.
- Corpse Harvester : Out with the old, in with the new... and a swamp!
- Cryptbreaker : So much value in such a small package. Token generating, card draw, good in the early and late game... what is not to love about this card!
- Death Baron : A zombie lord with some extra punch Sure he doesn't get deathtouch himself, but all those 2/2 tokens that are now 3/3 deathtouch.
- Dread Summons : Ever seen those zombie movies with that big hoard that just keeps coming... that's this card. Gives you a bunch of tokens, and recursion bait for your commander.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead : Card title kind of says it all for this one. Obviously not the best in metas with wrath effects coming down every turn, but shines like a copper penny otherwise.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa : So take one creature, throw it under the bus, and get more...
- Grave Titan : Why this thing isn't a zombie I will never know. 6/6 for 6, deathtouch, and brings two friends with it AND when it attacks.
- Graveborn Muse : Card draw based on zombies, who is also a zombie!
- Infernal Caretaker : Mass recursion, either play them out, or discard them back for more effects.
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : Just an all around strong zombie planeswalker.
- Liliana's Mastery : Zombies + an anthem that won't be a big target for removal.
- Lord of the Undead : A low to the ground zombie lord with recursion on a stick.
- Noxious Ghoul : Sweeps out low toughness cards for things you're already doing. Just great value.
- Relentless Dead : A great early drop, and late game it serves as a sac target + recursion.
- Shepherd of Rot : Yes it hits you, but this can be such a major threat.
- Undead Warchief : Cheaper zombies, and bigger zombies. All in one convenient package.
- Awaken the Erstwhile : Disruption, plain and simple. Sure it hurts your hand too, but you are the one with all the zombie based anthems.
- Victim of Night : Doomblade 2.0, but hits black creatures.
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier : You'll have so many tokens kicking around to exploit that she's just a straight tutor, and if she ever hits the graveyard just use her again with Scarab God.
- Fleshbag Marauder : Hurts them a lot more than you, and enter the battlefield abilities are great with Scarab around.
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight : Solid 4/5 Menace for 4, got the extra 6 mana though and he brings friends who also have menace.
- Wonder : Flying zombies... yep, that's scary.
- Pull from Tomorrow : Nice draw on an instant with the added benefit to pitch something for Scarab to target.
- Price of Fame : Legendary killer + Surveil 2... love it.
- Sinister Sabotage : Counterspell + Surveil... love it too.
- Paradox Haze : You've got a couple effects that trigger on upkeep, why not double up?
- The deck currently seems to be going in two directions, you have a large zombie theme which I love, but you also have a minor mill theme which seems out of place.
- Advanced Stitchwing : Slow for what it gives, even on the bounce back it comes back tapped.
- Apprentice Necromancer : This is one I'm on the fence suggesting, it's a one use for one turn only.
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born : This guy is beast, but he works best in a deck build around him.
- Lamplighter of Selhoff : Slow, for his effect.
- Merciless Eternal : He's not bad, just a lot better things to include in the 3 cost bracket.
- Phenax, God of Deception : Love this guy, really do, but he's out of place here because he's a mill guy who loves big butts.
- Relentless Skaabs : This guy does everything you don't want as he hurts your graveyard in order to even hit play.
- Servant of Tymaret : Slow with high cost. In order to make the best use of him you have to be attacking, and if the way isn't clear that means a 3 mana tax just for 1 life on each opponent.
- Spiteful Returned : Don't hate it, but better things out there.
- Stitchwing Skaab : Suffers from the same as Advanced Stitchwing.
- Undead Alchemist : This guy can go either way, but the way I look at him is generally people have more cards in their decks than life, so it's easier to take out their life.
- Vindictive Lich : This guy is fun, though for his cost there is a lot more out there.
- Exotic Orchard : Risky unless you know your playgroup always has one of your colors, otherwise it's just a colorless and a swamp or island would be just as good.
- Leechridden Swamp : Slows you down for a minor effect.
- Path of Ancestry : Phenax is the only other god creature, so even if you keep him in it's very slow for the benefit it probably will never get the chance to give.
- Coat of Arms : I love this card, I really do, but it's a calculated risk and I find zombies are usually too slow of it. Run up against a goblin or elf deck and this will do more for your opponent.
- Mindcrank : This is another I'm on the fence with as it pairs really well with Scarab.
- Vanquisher's Banner : Good card, though you're not casting all those tokens so you're only getting a bit of a benefit from it.
- Liliana Vess : Good card, out of place in this deck unless you are going heavier into the mill.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited : Just completely out of place for zombie tribal.
- Glimpse the Unthinkable : One of those mill cards, it suffers as a one of.
- Rise from the Grave : Expensive for effect.
- Ruthless Disposal : This isn't bad in this deck, but compared to Morbid Slip for example it lacks that added shine.
- Curse of Disturbance : So much politics, this is VERY meta dependent as to if players fall for the bait.
- Quest for the Gravelord : This can work out, but more often then not stuff isn't dying fast enough or it just gets pinged with early removal.
- Search for Azcanta Flip: More at home in a non-creature strategy.
- Torment of Scarabs : Most people can play around this with not too much fuss, and it gives all the choice to them. I'd prefer some targeted removal.
1 month ago
I will preface this by saying black and zombies are my favorite color and tribe respectively but I have not played very much modern.
Vampire Sovereign is not a zombie, and the deck has enough endurance and recursion to not really need flyers or direct damage, and the sovereign is a bit expensive. Cryptbreaker results in more zombies and more cards in the graveyard, which is also more zombies, and will refill your hand if the game goes late or you are playing defensively. Alternatively, if you do want the lifesteal instead of being more focused on aggro, raydenkiller's suggestion of Gray Merchant of Asphodel (Gary for short) is good for the reasons he stated.
Foul-Tongue Shriek is cheaper than Sovereign's Bite and will often be better for closing out a game. The big downside is it is more restrictive in that it can only be cast effectively when you are attacking with multiple creatures.
Playing only Go for the Throat is risky if you end up playing against an artifact deck, so it could be wise to hedge into the other similar cards like Cast Down and Doom Blade . A great place for these kinds of cards is the sideboard, running 2x of Go for the Throat and Doom Blade in the both the mainboard and sideboard is an easy distribution which would be hard to go wrong with.
I don't know much about burn or how to fight it but in my experience control is beaten through hand attack and playing more aggressively. In deckbuilding you'd want to include cards like Duress in the sideboard (or Thoughtseize if you're made of money) and to make your mana curve lower. Zombies should have a better match against control than a lot of aggro/midrange decks because the creatures recurring from the graveyard makes their counters much worse.
Liliana, Untouched By Death is not the best option for a zombies deck. It isn't necessarily bad, it just isn't very impactful for its mana cost. A more focused effect like a creature or Liliana's Mastery is probably better.
I'd recommend doing some research into zombie decks in modern, seeing what cards they play and seeing if and how they fit into your deck.
I hope you do well with zombies!
1 month ago
You have a lot of sorceries. They're not necessarily bad, but they are taking up space where zombies could be. You can get rid of innocent blood (use fleshbag marauder instead), aether snap, twilight's call, life's finale
You don't really need vensor's journal or whispersilk cloak. You don't really have big creatures that do anything on combat damage to a player.
For instants I think tendrils of corruption, grasp of darkness, murder, go for the throat, and doom blade do well in mono black
And you got some jank creatures. What is that vulture? no. No dross hopper, no gangrenous zombies, no zombie brute, gutless ghoul is kind of crap, you have a lot of things with activated abilities and I just don't think you're going to be using them that much.
You also don't have card draw. You have a sign in blood and that's it really. Black has some good pay with life card draw cards.
You have the sanguine bond/exquisite blood combo, but your sanguine bond is completely useless. You don't gain any life except from vensor's journal and you don't have much card draw, so it's not going to do much.
Good zombie cards to add: Fleshbag Marauder (so good with mikaeus) Ghoulcaller Gisa Ghoulraiser Graf Harvest Grave Betrayal Grave Defiler Graveborn Muse Gravecrawler Infernal Caretaker josu vess Liliana's Mastery Lord of the Accursed Maalfeld Twins Necromancer's Stockpile Necromantic Selection Noosegraf Mob Open the Graves Grave Titan Liliana's Reaver Cadaver Imp Corpse Connoisseur Accursed Horde Archdemon of Unx cemetary recruitment Cryptbreaker Diregraf Colossus Doomed Dissenter Empty the Pits (is hilarious) Ever After Overseer of the Damned Plague Belcher Rakshasa Gravecaller Relentless Dead Risen Executioner Rot Hulk Shepherd of Rot Stir the Sands Zombie Infestation
I think I have some of these. You can have them if I do
4 months ago
In my opinion you can swap two swamps out for mana rocks, maybe a Charcoal Diamond and a Everflowing Chalice. I personally feel that Door of Destinies is terrible unless you're playing tribal with a low curve and a lot of creature spells (like elves). As an alternative you may want to consider Liliana's Mastery instead.
5 months ago
I would recommend the following cards, assuming you are going for a mono black tribal zombie deck
Death Baron - deathtouch is cool
Grave Titan - not a zombie himself, but a great generator of them
Lord of the Undead - Bump and graveyard return
Undead Warchief - Cheaper and more painful zombies
Diregraf Colossus - Speaks for itself
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed - Give's everything but humans you control undying (and is a zom)
Plague Belcher - Neat Lad
Call to the Grave - Probably never leaves the battlefield via sac, totally ruins opponents board presence until they can destroy it
Some Tribal necessities too:
Cavern of Souls - Though if money is tight don't even bother
That's all I can think of for now, let me know if you want more recommendations for cards to add. As for the cards you currently have, I would recommend the following:
Remove Liliana's Mastery - 5 Mana for a bump and zombie, seems to me like there are better options
5 months ago
Josu Vess, Lich Knight for one, she is just bad by herself shes just a 4 mana 4/5 with menace and her 10 mana cmc kick is meh and never gets activated
im not a big fan of Dark Salvation because its too underhelming and mana intensive for multiplayer, Endless Ranks of the Dead and Liliana's Mastery are also kinda a bit slow and lack impact for their cost, ranks whiffs a lot after board wipe and being an upkeep trigger makes it very slow
i agree with Forgotten Creation as its ability compliments varina's so damn well and is repeatable, you could also run more reanimator effects like Reanimate, Animate Dead, Necromancy and Stitch Together
5 months ago
Hey Nick123. I hate to tell you this, but you have this mislabeled. This would be legal in modern, but there are several cards (Cryptbreaker, Diregraf Colossus, Gravecrawler, Gray Merchant of Asphodel, Plague Belcher, Relentless Dead, Unbreathing Horde and Liliana's Mastery) that are illegal in standard. I do not know if you are wanting to play standard, or if this is just casual, but if you are looking to play standard, you will have to make quite a few changes. Either way have fun!
Liliana's Mastery occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%