|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Conspiracy: Take the Crown (CN2)||Rare|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Phyrexia vs. The Coalition (DDE)||Rare|
|Ninth Edition (9ED)||Rare|
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
At the beginning of your upkeep, you draw a card and you lose 1 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (39)||perrin515 , tragic_slip , ZombieFood , westdoorblowsnow , EliGjerdingen , Roadhog , xXThormentXx , voidruby , Crimson6 , Dr_Jay , KipIsKosher , Nemesis , Rez09 , mentor6 , Venser_the_Sojoner , bakunet , CastleSiege , Vasbear1 , Doom_of_Valyria , Swamy , vishnarg , Sparky41 , killstars , 7vennum7 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , LPrats , Azdranax , MattN7498 , mziter501 , hardhitta71194 , Justinaut , Benniator , Big-Foot , KillDatBUG , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , TheRealPeaches , Wolfebladeelite , , silvereh|
|Want (16)||demonicgrizzly , Turtlelover73 , Tiddilywinkus , xpsychovampx , Fergernuggets , Desol4tion , Malachy_ , RedMulligan , goodair , Va1mar , phoere , Xikitten123 , Nightdragon779 , vashaclarens , Bulldawg1310 , http404error|
Phyrexian Arena Discussion
9 hours ago
9 hours ago
10 hours ago
Where are you going to play this deck? If it's just for the kitchen table, have all the fun in the world.
If you want it to play against, say, the better class of budget decks, or even tier decks, you need to do rather a lot. Start by determining what your best case first four turns of a game would look like, specificall which cards you would have in hand and play during these turns. Then bump those cards up to four of each, and remove some of those, you wouldn't really want anyway.
Under all circumstances, you'll need more lands. At least 22 lands (but probably more). Otherwise you'll lose games to mana screw.
Decent budget-friendly cards to consider (since I believe this deck is supposed to be budget-friendly)
Gatekeeper of Malakir (removal AND a body, at a reasonable mana cost)
Victim of Night (pretty good removal)
Ob Nixilis Reignited (Mr. Control-demon, with both card draw and removal, best in a slow environment though)
Corrupt (a single copy, just for the killing blow)
Phyrexian Arena (a stable source of cards)
Mutilate (for the budget-minded control-player who wants to get rid of creatures)
Whip of Erebos (great with creatures that have ETB-abilities)
Desecration Demon (cheap, big, and with a drawback might occasionally be advantageous)
Pack Rat (for turning all your cards useful)
1 day ago
There is a lot going on in this list. I'm a little confused on the order of win cons... There is some +1/+1 counter strat, but also EBT bounce (which removes the counters). Then the life gain, which doesn't seem to have much of a payoff other than prolonging the game. Things like Sanguine Bond, Archangel of Thune or Phyrexian Arena would put your life gain to good use. Also because of the life gain, Anguished Unmaking feels like a better fit than Utter End. The board wipes are also curious... short of Restoration Angel or Archangel Avacyn Flip how would you save your side from the wraths? Wouldn't wraths put you just as behind (if not more) than your opponent, considering you spent time/resources putting on counters and leveling up?
2 days ago
Phyrexian Arena would be the first thing I could think of that could give you some card draw, also perhaps Ob Nixilis Reignited. If you want to get people upset with you you might also consider Contamination.
2 days ago
I wasn't actually planning on commenting, but then I saw the final part of your description and I figured if you're asking :P, here goes:
Grixis should be capitalised, as should If, the exclamation mark after comment should go after the brackets, typos doesn't need an apostrophe, and the full stop doesn't need to be there, so overall the sentence should read 'A deck inspired by another deck I found on the website as well as my love for Grixis. If you have any advice please leave a comment (that does include typos anywhere)!' (sentences in brackets aren't classified as seperate sentences). Also, since I'm leaving the comment, I may as well give some suggestions as well :)
I'd reccomend cutting a few extra turn cards and slower cards (Chainer's Edict doesn't seem to be adding too much to the deck) for an Inexorable Tide, some removal and definitely more lands - I'd say the minimum amount of lands for an edh deck would have to be 35, even with a lot of rocks. Also, Sorin Markov is definitely a must include in any EDH deck running black, Exsanguinate, Magister Sphinx and Worst Fears all in one 6-Drop! If you were looking for any inspiration (and considering I like to promote my own decks like a filthy upvote whore), you could always have a look at my deck here. It's a Grixis spellslinger deck but there's some just fairly decent Grixis cards in here, like a Phyrexian Arena or even just a Cruel Ultimatum, just for all around good cards :). Hope all this helped dude, gl with the deck!
3 days ago
Hey, I've never piloted a Kaalia deck, I have only played against her and from my experience, she gets the attention on the table most of the times and for good reason. People really know Kaalia. So I think that playing her has some key elements that could be improved.
Get her out fast fast fast.
In order to do that I'd replace these with basics and boost your speed since you're playing all those fetchlands.
- Akoum Refuge: ETB tapped, no good here.
- Vivid Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium: See above.
- Molten Slagheap: Too slow.
- Transguild Promenade: Just plain awful. Don't let this one fool you with it's "mana of any color", it's still awful.
- Opal Palace: You don't need the color fixing and the bonus counter won't do much difference as Kaalia's blows are not what you're aiming here.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth needs it's best friend Cabal Coffers, otherwise a fetchable basic swamp will do fine. Or maybe a dual one like Canyon Slough or Smoldering Marsh, which sometimes enter untappped.
Land Tax when you replace all the above for basics.
- Talisman of Indulgence or Fellwar Stone, mana rocks for
Kaalia has been around long time so people know how dangerous she can be.
- Darksteel Plate could be useful, specially against wraths but it doesn't do much against bouncing or exiling, which is why Whispersilk Cloak could be a better alternative, and can help you avoid combat damage as well.
- Mother of Runes will give her protection in response to whatever spot removal targetting her.
- Grand Abolisher helps you avoid getting Kaalia countered.
If Kaalia has died several times, what now.
As you probably know, she will get focused and sometimes you just can't protect her enough. You need alternatives when this happens.
- Karmic Guide can reanimate anything and it's an angel. Works well with Reya Dawnbringer.
- Sneak Attack is expensive but great, consider it. If not, Quicksilver Amulet is good too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation works awesome with the card above.
- Chancellor of the Annex could be given a try to slow down your opponents while you cast your big creatures. Also, if it's on your initial hand, bye-bye turn 1 Sol Rings.
Other things I noticed
- You lack card drawing. It's essential to have angels / demons / dragons on your hand on each of your attack phases. Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence. Watch out for Emrakuls on your meta with the latter. Some wheels could prove useful refilling your hand, though Wheel of Fortune is expensive, Winds of Change, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate and Dragon Mage are good alternatives.
- On the same issue as above, Sire Of Insanity and Malfegor aren't helping you with that.
- You have access to the best colors for removal. Ditch Soul Snare and Angelic Edict for the more versatile ones Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking or Utter End. Even Chaos Warp is a better alternative than the two I mentioned. Instant speed removal is crucial.
- Same as above with sweepers. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation are much better than Armageddon, because as it let's you a great advantage and all it also puts a huge target on your head, because you basically stop them from having fun at all. And in my experience, people tend to remember those who broke their lands, it's just the way it is. You don't need more hate, Kaalia will draw enough herself. On the borderline of this are Cataclysm and Rakdos the Defiler. The other Rakdos, Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a way better alternative. Imagine swinging with Kaalia, on her trigger putting RTR Rakdos, then on your second main you'll be able to cast a creature with it's cost reduced.
- You have 4 instants now (more coming in the future I hope) and 3 creatures with activated abilities requiring mana. Price of Glory punish your for using those. I know it will punish counterspells as well, but there are some alternatives for that that won't draw the hate on your head, as stated above.
- Lastly, I know I insisted a lot on avoid drawin unnecesary hate on you, but Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is another one to give some thought. People really love their ramping and tutoring. Though in this case I'm not saying you should remove him, just re-evaluate his inclusion.
I hope some of this suggestions help in any way.
3 days ago
Coward_Token, War Cadence and Brutal Hordechief are very different. I can't use Brutal Hordechief on other players' turns. I am only allowed to use it to aid myself, and this deck is not optimized for it. It also forces blocks, it does not make things unblockable. That means that I can't use it politically or as an Aikido play. It is just a heavy threat from me, and can never enhance other players' games. Very different cards. I considered it, and it doesn't fit, in my opinion.
NotEaster, Yawgmoth's Will is just a mass recursion for dramatic swing turns. Since my swings are mostly sorcery and instant based, I would consider Mizzix's Mastery. I have considered it myself in this list, but went for the broader card. Sometimes I consider the change anyway. If yours are not sorcery and instant based, consider something like Replenish (too expensive), or maybe Living Death. Depends on your list. You just want something to allow you to replay your big turns at a later time if they end up in your graveyard.
Phyrexian Arena is not too powerful, it is just not as swingy as I like. I run Necropotence, more powerful and more swingy. I advocate for Phyrexian Arena for card draw for those who don't run other, more subtle but more swingy, card draw.