Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
Spell mastery — If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, add to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (28)||bigc137 , NOGzFTW , Crimson6 , Ellyreia , KipIsKosher , Enivid , 2austin5 , Famicomania , thetechzombie , ibraJG84 , ironax , Justinaut , NobleSlay3r , Yawkcorb , Vasbear1 , lava_lava , LPrats , TheRealPeaches , saj0219 , miracle , jstn.mrrtt , Skydra2 , clayperce , Mortiferus_Rosa , KillDatBUG , mziter501 , Azdranax , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|
|Want (3)||Ariumlegion , ryuzaki32667 , chrishuffman95|
Dark Petition Discussion
1 week ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
1 month ago
@enpc thanks for the comment!
Interesting idea with Dark Petition since almost a quarter of the deck goes towards spell mastery. Will def consider it. I run Reclaim over Regrowth strictly for another Isochron Scepter target if need be.
Memnarch is crazy strong when paired with a lot of mana; but at the same time can be a dead card in hand or put a target on your back on the 'field. It's one of the three main wincons, treated similar to a Laboratory Maniac insta-win, but can still do work without infinite mana.
Aetherflux Reservoir again can win without infinites, but all the fetch/shock lands, mana rocks, and enchantments that cost life can hurtttt
1 month ago
Rune-Scarred Demon could easily be Dark Petition to help make it more castable. Memnarch seems bad (in general) but especially in this list. it's too expensive and you already have enough infinite mana outlets. You can also swap Reclaim out with Regrowth.
I also run a Dramatic Scepter Thrasios/Tymna build: Triton Weaver if you wanted to get any ideas.
1 month ago
1 month ago
Maybe more tutors + Angel's Grace to combo off of Near-Death experience.
Insidious Dreams might be a great set-up card for you if you can protect your top deck from manipulation. The usual tutors (expensive and inexpensive alike) might all have a role to play, too.
- Dimir Machinations to fetch Solemnity or Unlife, for example.
- Vampiric Tutor
- Grim Tutor
- Cruel Tutor
- Mastermind's Acquisition
- Dark Petition
- Liliana Vess
- Rune-Scarred Demon
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier
- Razaketh, the Foulblooded
- Enlightened Tutor
- Academy Rector
If you want to play pillow-fort or "Abzan Prison" (or "Junk Prison"), which might also be a good name for the deck, you really want to assemble your defense as quickly as possible, so the more prison effects and tutors the better. You might be able to cut down on some creatures that don't advance your plan. That is to say, play creatures that tax like either Thalia, or provide a Banisher Priest or Shriekmaw effect).
I love the white counter-spells, but you're not really sitting in the control seat in this deck because you want people to be unable to interact with you, so trim everything that doesn't make you invincible or remove a threat. Think cards like Anguished Unmaking and Hero's Downfall.
Have fun brewing!
1 month ago
May i suggest Dark Petition? It can tutor for any of your combo pieces and even helps you casting it the same turn.
2 months ago
So if you can't include "auto wins" (which is lame, but understandable), you're best playing a really flexible midrange deck.
Some includes I'd suggest:
-- razaketh, the foulblooded
-- Lightning Greaves are good
-- Silence time walks someone.
-- Bitter Ordeal is pretty brutal in your deck.
-- Lingering souls seems low value as a one-off.
-- Sensei's Top.
-- Smokestack is easy to mitigate for you but brutal on your opponents.
-- Meekstone seems good here.
2 months ago
Hey @hotshot14 thanks for your comment.
I have had Dark Petition in my IRL list for a bit but hadn't updated this page yet.
Buried alive would definitely be strong here but I don't know what I'd cut for it. I prefer graveyard-filling options that are cheaper or instant speed because it makes it easier to avoid graveyard hate like bojuka bog.
Wanderwine and Paradox engine, along with Bloodline Necromancer and Worldgorger Dragon, are cards I just personally dislike because they make it too easy to win the game outright. Similarly, I'm not interested in building a list that storms off as fast and consistently as possible. Most people I play EDH have decent decks, but nothing that's consistently winning through disruption on or before turn 5. More often they struggle to keep up with this deck as-is.
If you play in an especially high-powered meta this list would look a lot different. As you noted, it's a "fun list" first and foremost. I try to maintain a mix of busted powerful stuff and silly-synergy type stuff. I try to win the game, but not in a way that feels super easy to me personally.