|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Rogue
If an opponent would draw a card except the first one he or she draws in each of his or her draw steps, instead that player skips that draw and you draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (12)||bradyofportdetroit , rockleemyhero , redlegs_17 , failurechild88 , golgarigirl , pskinn01 , philktoken8998 , Tiddilywinkus , switchkill65 , Mousemke , kpral , TheRealPeaches|
Notion Thief Discussion
6 hours ago
Oddly enough its the Worldgorger Dragon combo that seems to be going off in Breya decks. First get it into the graveyard (Insert Dack Fayden, Entomb, Frantic Search, Buried Alive, Faithless Looting, Gamble, Wheel of Fortune & Windfall) Then animate it with Animate Dead, Dance of the Dead or Necromancy. With enough artifacts or lands that produce all of your colors. You can get all of the mana that you need and keep casting Breya/killing herself to kill everyone else. Also might help to throw in some tutors Lim-Dul's Vault, Mystical Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Demonic Tutor, & Merchant Scroll. Then lets make sure no one is going to interrupt you during the combo turn Dispel, Pyroblast, Pact of Negation, Silence, Swan Song. Also, Necropotence/Notion Thief.
2 days ago
I don't think the regular mill subtheme works super well; it's a really convoluted win con for EDH excepting infinite combos, and you don't have many cards that take advantage of the graveyards of other people. I think focusing on the infinite combo aspect harder will give you a more streamlined gameplan for sure, and the alternate win-con should probably be tokens with Oona.
To that end, here are some more great tutors to grab Navigator and your other pieces:
Plunge into Darkness <-- works amazingly with Oona tokens.
There are some better board control cards as well:
Faerie Macabre <-- for graveyard synergies, if those are prevelant
Mind Stone etc.
And some more combos/alt win con ideas:
Scion of Oona can let you swing for the win.
Capsize + infinite mana lets you bounce whatever you choose.
Not that all mill pieces aren't good; Altar of the Brood obviously mills out with infinite bounces, Sword of Body and Mind is just good value, Jace's Mindseeker can be nuts with other go-big decks, etc. But the cards that exist just to mill, like Keening Stone, Mirko Vosk, Szadek, Dimir Guildmage--cutting these for a more streamlined approach will help the deck function smoothly.
Of course, if you love the mill strategy, play what you love! But a better commander for that approach is probably Phenax himself.
1 week ago
Hi I love Descent into Madness I built a deck around him before use Kazandu Blademaster as your attacker every time you get a token he gets bigger. Mind's Eye Telepathy Teferi's Puzzle Box these cards let you go threw your deck fast add Notion Thief and Venser's Journal and your oponits will never have a hand but you will. Paradox Haze, Thrummingbird and Clockspinning will rack up counters on all of your stuff fast. All your missing is a fast land base. Hope this helps
1 week ago
Oof. I guess then Thrasios could kill you if he went infinite on draw with Notion Thief out. That's gross.
1 week ago
Praetor's Grasp is interesting. I feel like it is a stellar answer to Food Chain builds, and it hurts many different combo decks while also allowing you to see any anomalies in the build whilst searching.
Side thought: I was wondering the other day what makes Leo better than Notion Thief. Obviously, the cmc and the target abilities are major pros, but the pay-off from Thief seems astronomically better because the ability to draw a card still triggers (i.e. someone is playing a Padeem, Consul of Innovation, you get to draw an extra card). It would then operate as a pseudo Sphinx number 2 in a way.
1 week ago
Entrei, I originally had Temple Bell in the deck, but the problem is that it draws 1 card at a time, and gives opponents the chance to draw answers, if they're not tapped out. I agree on Guttersnipe, I'm gonna try out Jace's Archivist instead even though its a bit slow. I'm trying to stay away from things to protect Nekusar, since the enchantments are the primary win-cons and Nekusar is fairly easy to remove. Hive Mind is good, but I don't want another 6-drop in the deck. I'll test it out in place of MoM though.
moogleman94, Notion Thief is great with wheels since it'll leave everyone else with an empty hand, and you could easily chain wheels into a lab man win. But I agree that there are times that it shouldn't be played.
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
Thank you very much for the praise and the nice suggestions, nighthawk8!
Yes I agree and I am really trying to find the sweet spot between strong, flavourful and fun to play with this deck.
I'll comment on all of your suggestions below. Short version: I'll definitely try Smuggler's Copter, Umezawa's Jitte and Thieves' Fortune. Some of the others (like Duskmantle Seer, Thopter Spy Network, Notion Thief and Drana, Liberator of Malakir will go into my "Maybeboard" because there could be a spot for them in the future. The rest of the cards was already in an earlier version of the deck and did not work well enough.
Detailed comments on the suggestions Show
- Smuggler's Copter: I haven't thought about that card yet but you are right: art, style and functionality fit very well! I can crew it with Sygg, River Cutthroat so it is easy to get both the loot and draw triggers in turn 3.
- Thopter Spy Network: This is an interesting card and the abilities would fit very well. I think I excluded it early because I did not use to play as many artifacts as today. I'll have to check how often I have an artifact in play to decide on this -> otherwise I risk having a dead card in my hand / play.
- Duskmantle Seer: I like the style of this card a lot. a 4/4 flying for 4cmc is also solid. He lacks an enter the battlefield ability and rogue creature type but he might be worth a slot, especially because his draw ability can trigger Syggs draw ability (would be much better if the ability would tigger in my opponents upkeeps though).
- Marang River Prowler: This one was in an early version of the deck. I also thought that he would be a boss but unfortunately he did not deliver what I expected. The problem is: I can't cast him before turn 3 and then he does not deal enough damage to trigger Sygg. Also I can usually keep a few creatures back in my hand so I do have replacement ready if one of my creatures dies. And if the board gets wiped I also can't cast him because I have almost no black non-creature permanents in the deck..
- Notion Thief: This guy is really cool, it lets me steal card draws (which is something I can't steal yet!). I had him in the deck for a short time but was unable to get any value out of him.. But I should probably give him another try, especially in multiplayer games where he can get a ton of value.
- Whispersilk Cloak: This one has some nice flavour but otherwise it does not work in this deck: for this cmc and equip costs my rogues do always prefer a knife (or sword).
- Dimir Cutpurse: The lack of evasion limits the usefulness of this otherwise cery cool card.
- Thieves' Fortune: Yes! I can't really remember why this card isn't in the deck at the moment because it is so cool! I'll try to find a slot for it again.
- Umezawa's Jitte: This card would probably fit very well for both flavour and efficiency. I did not consider it yet because it does not grant any bonus to power when you first attack with it. But it is very versatile and I'll probably give it a try if I happen to get my hands on one.
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir: This is an interesting choice, because it could allow me to turn an unimpressive board into a lethal thread after a few turns.
- Thassa, God of the Sea: I had her in a earlier version of the deck. I do really love the card (I do also play her as a commander [Thassa, God of Tentacles EDH]) but she did not shine in this deck. She takes away too much tempo (I need to play something that deals damage on turn 3 if possible), almost all creatures do already have evasion and she made Sygg a target because of his 2 devotion. I'll keep her in mind though, might even give her an other try.