|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters 25 (A25)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Sorin vs. Tibalt (DDK)||Rare|
|Starter 1999 (S99)||Rare|
|Portal Second Age (P02)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
You draw three cards and you lose 3 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (21)||GoldGhost012 , bakunet , tahavin , NobleSlay3r , Pelli , Wolfebladeelite , Esquire_ , techneil , Tiddilywinkus , ironax , Lucretian , jstn.mrrtt , Fineontheoutside , duff87 , Fairseas , mziter501 , itheoryz , twistedmage , sonnet666 , Swamy , PTsmitty|
|Want (13)||TiredTofu , xXThormentXx , netdragonarchfiend32 , TwoPieceOB166 , obitus , blaze333 , Kaedom , The_Red , RynBiffy , MonoGreenMerfolk , CHAREDot9 , Alaeva , AntiheroFOREVER|
Ancient Craving Discussion
2 weeks ago
Just some quick suggestions:
I would recommend more card draw so you're not top-decking all the time. (The more cards you draw, the more answers you have.)
I like to aim for around 12 total:
Decree of Pain
Erebos, God of the Dead
Promise of Power
Disciple of Bolas is especially good if you sac a big rat.
I would also recommend more removal cards, I typically aim around 20 give or take (which includes both noncreature and creature removal).
Decree of Pain
Archfiend of Depravity
Butcher of Malakir
I also recommend good return spells including:
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
Sheoldred, Whispering One
2 weeks ago
I would suggest a little more removal/board wipes. AEtherize and Whelming Wave are good on a budget. In Garruk's Wake Bontu's Last Reckoning and Decree of Pain are also good budget boardwipes. Also a few good targeted removal spells Hero's Downfall to deal with planes walkers and Malicious Affliction since you have a sacrifice subtheme. Nighthowler Mortivore and Eater of the Dead go good with mill theme. And probably good use some more cars draw Ambition's Cost Ancient Craving Treasure Cruise and Blood Divination are good on a budget.
3 weeks ago
I actually made a deck pretty similar to this one. Her it is if you want to check it out: Mogis the hate god
what I found out through play testing is that creatures more or less suck for group slug strategies. There are plenty of really good creatures that fit this deck such as Zo-Zu the Punisher however I've found that if you relly too much on your creatures for incremental damage they are too susceptible to removal and board wipes.
In your case I believe you can safely get rid of any creature that produces mana. In most edh deck you only need about 10ish mana rocks and right now you have 11 as regular artifacts so I think your ramp will be fine.
Besides ramping creatures I believe that cutting these cards would also be advantageous:
- Netherborn Phalanx
- Indulgent Tormentor I don't really like targeted effects like this with mogis
- Fleshbag Marauder
With all those cards cut I'd then start putting in more group slug type enchantments. The reason I like these enchantments more is because unlike creatures, most board wipes dont hit them and most people dont have a ton of enchantment removal. There are tons of these group slug type cards so I'm not going to say which ones would be best for your deck because most of them would work. But I like these ones:
I would also just reconsider these cards, I haven't personally played them so I can't be certain of how strong they are, but they dont seem to quite fit the deck.
- Cruel Reality It seems tempting but it only targets one opponent and is super expensive. I don't believe its worth its cost
- Browbeat I would personally rather have guaranteed card draw, try Ancient Craving instead
- Mana Geyser lots of mana, but what are you spending it on? if you had more X costing spells then it may be worth it but for now think of how bad of a top deck this would be with no cards in hand.
And of course I would strongly recommend running some dual lands to help smooth out your mana consistency. Here are some of the really budget ones:
- Akoum Refuge
- Bloodfell Caves
- Canyon Slough
- Cinder Barrens
- Cinder Marsh
- Foreboding Ruins
- Graven Cairns a little more pricey but really good for the cost
- Lantern-Lit Graveyard
- Lava Tubes
- Rakdos Carnarium
- Rakdos Guildgate
- Rix Maadi, Dungeon Palace especially good in this deck
- Rocky Tar Pit
- Tresserhorn Sinks
- Urborg Volcano
You have a strong core here once again but I just feel that some of your card slots could be better spent. Hope all this helps
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
I can tell just by looking at this briefly that this build has been improved over time as it looks very refined. As I am not experienced with this commander, take my comments with a grain of salt as you are more of the expert here.
I wonder if you could make use of more token producers - specifically ones that make at least 3 1/1 creatures at a time in order to use Teysa's first ability on demand if she's the only creature in play. Cards that come to mind include: Sengir Autocrat, Benevolent Offering, Increasing Devotion, Entrapment Maneuver, Spectral Procession, Martial Coup.
I think more card draw effects would be nice. I'm very surprised to not see Mentor of the Meek in here. I would argue that Read the Bones is strictly better than Painful Lesson. But overall I would consider adding a few more, some that come to mind that play well are: Damnable Pact, Skeletal Scrying, Blood Divination, Altar's Reap, Ancient Craving.
I think you could use more mana ramp. Besides mana rocks, you could take advantage of treasures with cards like Pitiless Plunderer.
Not sure if you've thought about focusing on strong cards that care about low CMC. Besides Mentor of the Meek, other cool cards could be added (some would even interact with Teysa): Unearth, Sun Titan, Reveillark, Citywide Bust.
Fun cards that come to mind that you could add:
- Razaketh, the Foulblooded Not a cheap card at around $6, but could be insane in this deck.
- Archfiend of Despair - also around $6 and high cmc, but would be nuts for ending a long game quickly
- Krav, the Unredeemed I know you said you recently traded him, but it could be worth hunting down another cheap non-foil one and run him with Regna, the Redeemer.
- Bontu the Glorified and/or Oketra the True
- Athreos, God of Passage not cheap at $12, but could be useful when you don't have tokens to sacrifice
- Eliminate the Competition - very underestimated IMO
- Black Market I'm usually very picky when it comes to enchantments at 5+ CMC, but maybe this one would be worth it in a long game since it sees tokens dying.
Lastly, a few cards I think could possibility be cut for any of the above (I am often eager to cut high CMC cards btw):
- Treasury Thrull - a good effect I'll admit, but I'm just not thrilled with the 6 CMC. If reviving creatures is your main goal, something like a Hell's Caretaker's effect for less mana might be better.
- Voldaren Pariah Flip - at her cmc with that effect, I think I'd rather run a board wipe instead
- Vizkopa Confessor - looks like a fun card, but I don't like the CMC.
- Profane Command - I don't know that this should be cut, but I'd encourage you to really ask yourself which modes you typically use because you might be able to get a card with the desired mode for less mana. If X spells are a way for you close out the game, you could consider Exsanguinate or Torment of Hailfire.
- Tamiyo's Journal - looks like a fun card, but idk about the cmc, requires a long game before providing lots of value.
- Tainted Sigil - I've never seen this card before, does it pay off well? I just don't like that people can see it on the board.
Overall, very impression decklist - glad you rebuilt it. Eager to face it next week.
1 month ago
A few comments. First, what in the **** is your meta where this needs to be a thing? I'm just...kind blown away that you would need to be absolutely this fast. Anyway, card suggestions:
Easy includes off the top of my head are Doomfall, Plaguecrafter (strictly better than Fleshbag Marauder), Phyrexian Obliterator, maybe Crypt Ghast for more mana, Glaring Spotlight and Arcane Lighthouse (lay down the hate on hexproof), and Sudden Spoiling (can't be countered)! Also, you can't play Sparring Collar in mono black.
I also think some better card draw would be useful, and Phyrexian Arena isn't that great if the games are going very short. Instead, consider instant effects like Ambition's Cost, Ancient Craving, Dark Prophecy, Night's Whisper, Read the Bones, or Midnight Reaper.
I know you want everything to be cheap, but I'd recommend at least a few spells that can serve as bombs if the game gets to later rounds. Maybe something like Exsanguinate, Killing Wave, or Torment of Hailfire.
If you're interested in the combo, go for Mikaeus + Walking Ballista. :)
I also thought of Leonin Bladetrap, though that card isn't great...
Finally, quick question. In the description you mention equipment that grants deathtouch, but I don't see any in the actual deck. Is that still something you wanted to do?
3 months ago
Thanks for checking out my Grim-Grin deck.
Serum Visions looks like a pretty weak card for Commander. Basically you are paying 1 to scry 2 since the draw just replaces the serum visions you cast. Ambition's Cost, Morbid Curiosity, Promise of Power, or Ancient Craving are better for one off card draw.
Hope some of these suggestions are useful. Good Luck!
4 months ago
go up to 36 lands. You dont need any of those planeswalkers. Take out: Tainted Strike, Tragic Slip, Black Market, Ancestral Vengeance, Glistening Oil, In Garruk's Wake, Nylea, God of the Hunt, Primordial Hydra, Hex Parasite. Add Read the Bones, Essence Warden, Harmonize, Merciless Resolve, Minions' Murmurs maybe, Night's Whisper, Ambition's Cost, Ancient Craving, Cultivate, Blight Sickle, Cauldron of Souls, Diabolic Revelation, Increasing Ambition, Fevered Convulsions, Obelisk Spider. Add the following combo: Devoted Druid +Ivy Lane Denizen = inf mana and sneks. Cinderhaze Wretch + Ivy Lane Denizen = inf sneks and fuck yalls hands.