Choose two target players. Each of them searches their library for a card, then shuffles their library and puts that card on top of it.
Printings View all
|Core Set 2020 (M20)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Scheming Symmetry Discussion
8 hours ago
Mind if I pick your brain on how this played out so far? How has Diabolic Intent gone so far?
14 hours ago
Hey, nice budget version of Teysa with Deathmantle and Altar.
Cards to consider adding:
- Scheming Symmetry: great causal tutor, you get something and an opponent of your choice does too.
- Open the Armory: tutor for Skullclamp or Nim Deathmantle, two important cards to have more access too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation: Mystery Booster Set version, repeatable creature recursion.
- Viscera Seer: Core Set 2011 version, one drop sac outlet and scying is helpful.
- Doomed Traveler: one drop who creates a flying token.
- Mirror Entity: Mystery Booster Set version, pump Teysa and tokens. With a lot of tokens and mana this can be a win condition especially with flying tokens.
- Skirsdag High Priest: creates 5/5 Demon tokens and morbid can be triggered on any players turn if any creature died that turn. It's good in multiplayer and with tokens with vigilance.
- Fetid Heath: Double Masters version.
- Silent Clearing
- Shambling Vent
Any game when you have Skullclamp on the battlefield is going to be a better game than if you don't. Adding a few budget tutors that can get Clamp or one of your combo artifacts can be helpful.
Cards to consider cutting:
- 1x Plains
- 1x Swamp
- Temple of the False God: it can't make mana until turn five or after.
- Forsaken Sanctuary
- Orzhov Guildgate
- Final Payment
- Burnished Hart: too slow for ramp and doesn't trigger Teysa when it sacs itself.
- Butcher of Malakir: you have Pact and Dictate, don't also need this seven drop.
- Doomed Dissenter: Traveler is an upgrade because he creates a 1/1 flying token when he dies.
- Vindictive Vampire: the other aristocrats are better.
Good luck with your deck.
1 week ago
So, trying to come up with some budget style upgrades that won't break the bank but still pack some firepower isn't super easy. Top of the library effects that would be easy to abuse with Yennet, Cryptic Sovereign don't tend to come cheap. There's obviously Sensei's Divining Top and Scroll Rack style pieces, but those lean toward the expensive side and for some players might just be their entire mtg card purchase budget for the whole year.
But this doesn't mean there aren't some tools in the budget range.
Scheming Symmetry is a terrible tutor, but is one that you could easily break parity on given the commander.
Mystical Tutor is a bit more expensive at the close to $15 dollar mark, but not a terribly pricey piece. It's also a piece you'll get a lot of use out of for a lot of decks you might build in the future so picking up a copy would be a good idea.
Isochron Scepter pairs nicely with the tutor and is also an options that might see widespread use in future builds in roughly the same price range. Being able to tutor odd cmc spells to cast for free every turn would be a big boost in power for about $30 spent.
Nexus of Fate looks like a perfect fit for your deck. It's got an odd cmc and can be cast for free, isn't very expensive last I checked, and provides one helluva win condition. Particularly if paired with the above mentioned cards where you can indefinitely loop it every single turn for just a couple mana.
Mystic Sanctuary is a no brainer for less than the cost of a pack of gum. Putting odd cmc spells back on top of the library to cast a second time for free? Yes please.
Trade Routes is a particularly nifty pairing here with Mystic Sanctuary. You could set up infinite turn loops by using this combo in tandem with Nexus of Fate and Scheming Symmetry for example, cast the tutor, put Nexus on top, swing, casting Nexus. Pay 1 to bounce the Sanctuary, play the Sanctuary putting the tutor back on top of the library from the graveyard. Go to next turn, draw the tutor, rinse and repeat, no one else even gets to make use of the cards they tutor for except you.
You could probably add all of these cards for less than the cost of a single Sensei's Divining Top from the right vendor and bump up the power level of the deck quite a bit. Your friends, however, might hate you for it. So uh, yeah, be careful.
1 week ago
- Nekusar, the Mindrazer hes a great commander if you wanted to change format for this deck style is really funny.
- The biggest issue with the deck is running Reliquary Tower and Underworld Dreams in the same deck you really need both effects, but the mana base is very hard to get by with.
- When deciding between these two decks ill say one is more comboy which means itll feel the same each game basically this one is mostly synergy so it'll feel different playing it each time.
- Forced Fruition is 6 mana. Youll probably hit your land drops on time due to card draw but thats still 6 turns (5 at the soonest).
- Fast lands like Sulfur Falls are great but you wanna run 3 max. They dont work well together. If your opener is just a 2-1 split of your fast lands your gonna be behind. (Shocklands are worth it).
- Consider the following: Teferi's Ageless Insight, Ominous Seas, Blasphemous Act, Fate Unraveler, Molten Psyche, Spiteful Visions, Whispering Madness + unblockable creature, Ob Nixilis, the Hate-Twisted, Dictate of Kruphix, Megrim, Dark Deal, Waste Not, (Magus of the Wheel is sadly not legal :( ), Psychosis Crawler, Howling Mine, Liliana's Caress, Temple Bell, Incendiary Command, Prosperity, Dragon Mage, Fell Specter, Kess, Dissident Mage, Sangromancer, Magus of the Jar, Laboratory Maniac, Thassa's Oracle, Nadir Kraken, Consecrated Sphinx, Baleful Strix, Sire Of Insanity, Reverberate, Wheel of Fate, Echo of Eons, Burning Inquiry, Scheming Symmetry, Font of Mythos, Otherworld Atlas, Spellbook, Crawlspace or Ensnaring Bridge, Jace Beleren, Ashiok, Dream Render, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, Narset, Parter of Veils, Geier Reach Sanitarium.
- I hope thats helpful. There's a lot of similar affects so theres a lot of routes to go.
1 week ago
I have a deck idea where that involves the card Scheming Symmetry and Extirpate and I was wondering if I could cast extirpate with no targets in any graveyards for the purpose of getting someone to shuffle their library?
4 weeks ago
If you wanna do some kind of "control" I would suggest:
Sudden Spoiling - can save you, or use it diplomatically. It also combos with Massacre Wurm.
You already use Sadistic Sacrament and Life's Finale, so you could consider Nightmare Incursion,Praetor's Grasp, even Peer into the Abyss could be silly to use :D Curse of the Cabal is a bit silly, but could be fun to use in some decks.
I use Bitter Ordeal in my For the Void as a combo piece... its very derpy combo, but it works surprisingly well :D (infinite triggers of Desecrated Tomb+Tortured Existence+Phyrexian Altar).
Gravestorm - could be used aswell, but there are better cards for draw and graveyard hate, but why not more card draw in control deck?
Necropotence - depending on your budget (which it seems to be okay), this is just top tier diamond in mono-black. You dont even have any self-discard card effects (just max. hand size), so its even better. Reliquary Tower usually fixes that problem, so you can go full yolo. Ivory Tower/Venser's Journal helps to mitigate the life lose.
Price of Knowledge - Should be pretty solid in mono-black (even in U/B) control. It also works pretty well with Peer into the Abyss.
Revenge of Ravens - could be helpful to keep attacking creatures away from you or just slow them down.
Scheming Symmetry - Absolutely great card, especially when you can either draw your top card right away, or just cast it with Bolas's Citadel and/or remove the top card of your opp's library, which shouldnt be that hard, depending on you deck, ofc. Lord of the Void/Oblivion Sower should do the job.
Cards I would get rid off:
Blood Artist - Its a good card, but it heavily depends on the board state of every player.. I personally wouldnt play it, unless you can abuse it on your own, pinging opponents by 1 damage..
Beseech the Queen - In my opinion, this is the worst tutor a mono black deck can have, just because you must reveal the card you tutored for.. I would either remove it or replace it with other tutor like Grim Tutor, etc.
1 month ago
Search your library for two cards and target opponent's library for two cards. That opponent separates those cards into two piles. You may play one pile without paying their mana costs , and your opponent may play the other without paying their mana costs .
The challenge go to Gatherer, use the Random card function, and make a card based around its flavor text.