|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
As Caged Sun enters the battlefield, choose a color.
Creatures you control of the chosen color have +1/+1.
Whenever a land's ability adds one or more mana of the chosen color to your mana pool, add one additional mana of that color to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Caged Sun Discussion
12 hours ago
Got a hold of Living Death, so that's in for Cloak and Dagger. I think Cloak was just a bit too gimmicky, more often than not Grenzo would already be on the battlefield so casting this for and equipping for just felt bad. The +2/+0 was kind of nice, but it only really mattered if I hit Flayer of the Hatebound because that's the only creature with power greater than 3 (and I almost always cast Grenzo for X=1). In the future I think Lightning Greaves has a place in this deck for the shroud ability at a much cheaper cost.
In other news I did some more play testing at my LGS and found In Garruk's Wake to be pretty good so far. I often have a lot of creatures out by virtue of Grenzo so keeping them around has proven useful. The added ability to kill planeswalkers I'm liking as well. By that same stroke Caged Sun has not proven to be quite as good as I had hoped, mana is a lot and I don't have any way to cheat out big artifacts. That said, a friend suggested Scrap Mastery which may be worthwhile, considering I'm running 26 artifacts that frequently get binned from Grenzo. Alternatively maybe putting in Arcbound Reclaimer for Myr Retriever might be worthwhile, I'm not sure.
Lastly, in a previous comment I misinterpreted the tribe of Shapeshifter to all have the Changeling ability (which they do not), only Taurean Mauler has this ability. I regret the error.
19 hours ago
Thanks for your comments lucasdtr
2 days ago
Thanks for taking a look Daedalus19876 I'll be making a few changes based on your suggestions, first is Mother of Runes is now in the deck, originally I misunderstood what she did but she has now earned a spot.
Also Scroll Rack I didn't really know how to use it properly (I'd always put something on top that I wanted and accidentally tutored and shuffled it away and other various misplays) but after reading through your primer it's an auto-include for the scroll rack + land tax combo.
Most mana doublers I've tried but found they slowed me down in the past, this deck has evolved so much however so maybe Caged Sun might help. Extraplanar Lens in my meta isn't run because it's a huge target (mainly for personal reasons, I'll just say when any of my friends play it I destroyed it so they'd also be down a land and now they seek revenge.) Had to cut it from my colorless wastes deck for that reason lol.
As for the lands I've just been testing I change between 34 to 37 lands all the time since the land base is one of my biggest weakness when deck building.
I cut Haunted Cloak and am thinking about cutting Helm of Kaldra. I only keep the helm for the off chance I have the other two pieces (or Stonehewer Giant since I'll search for both those pieces anyway) and will tutor it for an indestructible 9/9 that can't be Gilded Drake'd or Toxic Deluge'd but on it's own it's kind of a dead card. What do you think?
Duelist's Heritage and Silverblade Paladin would love a spot, I'm just bad at making cuts. I can think of one card I could cut but I don't know which to add both Silverblade Paladin can beat down on his own but if I don't have another creature he's a 2/2 and is more susceptible to removal but can be recurred with both Emeria, The Sky Ruin AND Sun Titan. Duelist's Heritage seems like the stronger of the two can be tutored with Enlightened Tutor and if I understand it correctly I can give an opponents creature double strike if they hit an opponent?? Only down side I can think of is Sword of War and Peace and Etched Champion.
Again thank you for the kind words and suggestions, I previously skimmed through your primer when building this but finally fully read it ;)
3 days ago
What about mana rocks? Sol Ring? Jet Medallion? Gilded Lotus? (Caged Sun was already mentioned). Land search will guarantee your land drop every turn, which is good, but it won't actually accelerate your game.
3 days ago
cracks knuckles This should be fun! :)
One of the first EDH decks I ever played against was a Kemba voltron deck, and my pet deck has been my Judgment Day: Avacyn the Purifier EDH | *PRIMER* voltron list (which also might give you some ideas). There's a beauty in simplicity inherent in Voltron strategies. With some experience with Voltron, here are my thoughts on your list:
1) Generally speaking, it does work better to whack people with your commander, just to take advantage of that handy commander damage rule. But I understand that your non-reliance on your commander is the unique thing about this deck, so I won't suggest swapping commanders. That being said, I would test a few games with Sram at the helm, because he's one heck of a drug in this kind of deck ;)
2) Your creature base looks fine. The only major omission I see is the lack of Mother of Runes here. Ranger of Eos and Recruiter of the Guard can also be great tutors. And Silverblade Paladin is great for getting in faster damage and giving doubled Swords triggers...
6) With an average CMC of 3.4, I personally would not dare play as low as 34 lands (Maze of Ith doesn't count because it does not produce mana).
7) I would take a look through your equipment and cut the lower-impact ones. In any deck planning to win via combat damage, every single card needs to have a major impact when it hits the board. I've never found Deathrender or Haunted Cloak to do enough to justify their inclusion in my decks.
8) Double strike is your best friend in aggressive decks. I am currently loving Duelist's Heritage (though many of the best options are in boros colors alas).
9) Your primer seems like a good start! :)
3 days ago
3 days ago
Yes, you can name Gemstone Mine. As
Epochalyptik told already. I just wanted to correct one thing. If triggered ability triggers from triggered mana ability, it isn't mana ability. It has to trigger from activated mana ability.
For example if you have Caged Sun chosen green, Life and Limb, Conspiracy chosen saproling and tap Caged Sun for mana, only first trigger will be mana ability, but rest triggers are not mana abilities and can be responded to.
5 days ago
the reason you don't have Caged Sun is because......