|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Phyrexia vs. The Coalition (DDE)||Uncommon|
|Urza's Saga (USG)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
, : Untap target artifact.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (19)||Supremespeed , angesoir , LTmiller , pskinn01 , rikertchu , Riku580 , electrolynx , , rakdos24 , releasethedogs , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , Benniator , Mousemke , LeroyJones , ZombieFood , ajc3527 , frederiklw , metlguy , warcry02|
|Want (2)||Dr.Jackel , Azdranax|
Voltaic Key Discussion
3 days ago
A draw engine is a two card synergy that results in repeatable card draw. I run a Mardu deck so most of the cards will be in colors. I've numbered each engine so you just need to post the engine number followed by your personal score for each. (Feel free to skip any since the list is lengthy. No card is mentioned more than once however.)
A score means the draw engine is janky, unreliable, clunky, inefficient, etc. Basically an engine you'd never consider running under any circumstance. A score means the draw engine is consistent, reliable, fast, and effecient at drawing cards. This score signifies a considerable auto-include for any EDH deck.
Not all draw engines need to be rated. Rating the ones that are the most interesting will do. This feedback will be crucial for other people when considering what draw engine to use for their decks.
5 days ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
6 days ago
I like what your doing here. Never thought to use Hellkite Tyrant with Mycosynth Lattice
But I do have a few recommendations for you that might help.I see you have Sensei's Divining Top. You could run Cloud Key + Future Sight + Sensei's Divining Top combo, You can Draw your whole deck, and if you add Dramatic Reversal + Isochron Scepter You can cast you whole deck if you have mana rocks out.
And here's a list of just good cards that might work well with this deck:
- The Antiquities War
- Demonic Tutor
- Storm the Vault
- Trinket Mage
- Mystical Tutor
- Diabolic Tutor
- Voltaic Key
- Paradox Engine
- Mana Vault
- Basalt Monolith
- Isochron Scepter
- Future Sight
- Dramatic Reversal
Hope this was helpful to you
Happy Brewing -Ore
1 week ago
I imagine the card would be hard to use unless your whole deck is focused on charge counters. My Atraxa deck is all about charge counters and proliferating, so it works well in there as a payoff card. When you're using cards like Energy Chamber, Coretapper, Astral Cornucopia, Voltaic Key, and Everflowing Chalice you can get enough mana to go infinite.
Not really a competitive EDH strategy, but profilerating is alot of fun.
3 weeks ago
For reference - Vizier of Tumbling Sands.
Yes, this is an infinite turn combo. Almost anything that untaps a permanent is an infinite combo with Time Vault though. Kiora's Follower, Voltaic Key, Fatestitcher or even Venser, the Sojourner just to name a few.
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
Basically never run anything over 3 CMC. Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo are single handedly the most overrated EDH ramp spells.
Here's what you should run:
- Coldsteel Heart
- Fellwar Stone
- Star Compass
- Sky Diamond
- Darksteel Ingot
- Voltaic Key (awesome to make your colored stuff great and goes nuts with Mana Vault and Basalt Monolith.
And if you have money:
1 month ago
Nice Gonti list!
I have two main thoughts, 1) Your curve is really high: I wonder if some of the top end stuff could be cut. 2) Can you find more ways to ramp up the ETB abuse? More reanimation seems like it would be a natural fit.
I wonder if you could cut a couple of your top end creatures, specifically Sheoldred, Whispering One and Lord of the Void. I love both of these creatures and they are incredibly strong, but they also don't really synergize with your blink/recursion/etb abuse engines. Gonti wants to enter the battlefield over and over again during the game, so every other creature that wants the same thing just boots the overall synergy and flexibility of the list. As far as mid level stuff, do you think Minion Reflector is necessary given that you already run stuff like Blade of Selves, Panharmonicon, Conjurer's Closet, and Strionic Resonator? It seems like the most mana intensive of the "etb copy" effects you run and may not be missed all that much?
Voltaic Key? This one is pretty random, but you do have quite a few artifacts that like tapping. It makes your Sol Rings tap for 3, or Gilded Lotus tap for 5, and lets you really abuse cards like Strionic Resonator and Mimic Vat. Maybe there isn't enough synergy there, but it could be interesting. If you do go that rout why not toss in a Basalt Monolith as well for some extra ramp?
For additional reanimation I really like Necromancy a lot. Being able to get ANY creature from ANY grave at instant speed is VERY strong. Also, Corpse Dance could be an interesting, reusable effect, especially if most of your creatures consist of ETB value guys.