Creature — Vampire
Whenever Blood Artist or another creature dies, target player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|TCGPlayer.com Price 1%||Cardhoarder (O) Price|
|$2.49||$4.28||$7.23||$8.56||0.07 TIX||0.02 TIX|
|Have (15)||GoldGhost012 , Dadaman11 , awalloftext , benjibot789 , jwe94 , MADMatt7777 , failurechild88 , Regulus1010 , CustomMI , Squillis , ironax , ajmcnulty , GoofyFoot , Ziule , DrLitebur|
|Want (5)||loudpenguin64 , evilandrex , killzoid23 , dhgarcia , Dopeysboy|
Blood Artist Discussion
1 day ago
there's lots of mana searching and such so you're probably fine there
Demon of Death's Gate can actually be such a dead draw, you have few ways to discard it, and 3 cards to revive it, as well as you have to sac 3 black creatures for him... a bunch of your tokens are not black so you'll be usually be sacrificing 5 or so power among 3 black creatures to get out a 9/9 which will likely get killed pretty quick. When he works he's amazing but every time he doesn't he's laughing at you.
also cut Blood Speaker you have like 3 demons in the deck, blood speaker isn't really vital to the overall strategy of using the commander.
i agree completely with Archfiend of Depravity as it completely hoses any other token based decks, and disrupts virtually everything to some degree
Ghoulcaller Gisa would be great if you had some way to recur high power creatures, but your deck so far operates on quantity over quality, at least token-wise. It is a great card, just probably not for this deck.
Disciple of Bolas can be great if you end up with super pumped tokens that are blocked from attacking for some reason, help you dig for an answer and keep you alive until you can cast it.
Eternal Witness doesn't care if it gets sacrificed for something, it's there so you can get back literally anything from the grave
if playing politics is your style and you want good ramp card look no further than Heartbeat of Spring
Bojuka Bog this answers so many things.
1 day ago
I think the best way to do this deck is Viscera Seer and other sac engines plus stuff that that does stuff when it enters the battlefield, not when it dies. Spark Trooper is great. Blood Artist and/or Auriok Champion are also a must. Lingering Souls is my favorite card in Magic, but it doesn't really work here since the tokens can't be returned to your hand, and you want to play Athreos on turn 3. Can you find any cards that have transmute and cost 3 mana to fetch Athreos? Replace Collateral Damage with Lightning Bolt, it's too unreliable. Replace Tragic Slip with Path to Exile. Hellspark Elemental might also be good. And if you want to play 3 colors, make sure to get lots of fetches and shocks.
1 day ago
I've been play testing with variants, but so far my primary results have been that it needs work. It's slow and inconsistent. I'm trying to improve the number of tutors, but my budget is not infinite, and I'd like it to be something that I could possibly put together for the paper version eventually (Imperial Seal is right out).
I could go a few different directions from here. I enjoy the recursion ability from Xiahou, and it helps a ton with the sort of hate discard can get...but I need more cheap early answers, and I need more actual win conditions than Liliana's Caress and Megrim. I can't rely primarily on two cards, even if I can pull off a lock.
I could switch to Nekusar, the Mind Razer as Commander. That pulls me out of mono black, but he's a pretty great punishment commander. I lose recursion, gain free card draw and a small punishment effect, but also have to deal with mana fixing.
I could tear down the discard and punishment theme entirely, and switch to a more spellcaster-themed deck. I can use Xiahou to recur Exsanguinate and Drain Life etc. I can pull off graveyard-recursion jankery with Xiahou and + or Tendrils of Agony. I can help fuel it with a small creature set of token generators and sacrifice outlets, giving mana and chump blockers, possibly with Blood Artist and Zulaport Cutthroat and Falkenrath Noble to help drain. Plenty of infinite combos in this space.
But if I want to stick with the punishment/discard theme and stay in mono black...I could consider mixing card draw with discard. I can add more re-usable single-target discard, like Scepter of Fugue and Cao Cao, Lord of Wei and Nezumi Shortfang. I can add card draw effects like Howling Mine and Temple Bell and several others. I can add Seizan, Perverter of Truth and Underworld Dreams to punish draw. I can add Gnat Miser and Locust Miser to reduce opponent's maximum hand size. If I can force crazy card draw, Wheel-type effects can be used to hit plenty of the on-discard triggers.
I'm thinking more of that last option at the moment.
1 day ago
Wrath's are a fact of life in meta's where creatures are existant.
Most decks can rebuild after a wrath.As Mono black Is my specialty, I'll see what I can do to help, even if limiting suggestions to vampires lowers the quality.
If wrath's destroy your game plan, we need ways to profit from Death and rebuild. You already have Blood Artist and Falkenrath Noble, they're a good start. If your board presence is ruined, you need the cards to rebuild. Skullclamp is particularly good at this. It's often seen as a staple in edh. Another way to profit from Death is Black Market which is pretty cheapdue to a recent reprint. With all your evasive vamps, I could see Blade of the Bloodchief replacing Strata Scythe. Plus Anowan procs it.
As for actual bodies,Pawn of Ulamog builds blockers after a wrath, and serves as temporary ramp. Driver of the Dead returns a handful of good vamps, particularly Blood Artist. Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet gives you dudes when your opponent wraths, and it scales for each opponent. Finally Viscera Seer is a monoblack staple. It sets up a lot of advantage and at worst is a 1 drop Vamp that lets you scry 1 if it would die.
Mephidross Vampire is just a badass that makes all your other camps scary. Mirri the Cursed is my favorite vampire of all time. She makes combat so weird.Thief of Blood messes with superfiends and just a while lot of things. Hope that helps.
2 days ago
Ok, I'll try to suggest some cards to cut.
- Agent of Erebos - If I understand correctly, it is here for Gravestorm? If it is so, then I think it is to situational and pretty slow.
- Gravestorm - for the same reason as Agent of Erebos.
- Lost Auramancers - to slow, Academy Rector is better
- Nyx-Fleece Ram - very slow, and you already have things like Serra Ascendant, Rhox Faithmender, Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant, etc.
- Wall of Shards - maybe I missed something, but this one does nothing outside of interaction with Tainted Remedy, moreover it gives extra life to your opponents.
- War Priest of Thune - destroys only enchantments. Disenchant, Aura of Silence, Grasp of Fate is a good replacements for it.
- Circle of Despair - not so good as other sac outlets, and not so good for protection as No Mercy
- Tainted Remedy - In my opinion this card does almost nothing outside of combination with Beacon of Immortality
- Mirror Entity - Is it here to sacrifice for ? And to paralyze creatures with Whipgrass Entangler? Though maybe I missed some combos with it, it is just usually I saw this card in + + morbid combo, wich people use with Blood Artist or Zulaport Cutthroat to kill all opponents in one turn.
I have to agree with Quicksilver about these cards:
Additionaly I can suggest these cards for recurrence:
2 days ago
Also for added life gains, to go with your Suture Priest: Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant, Auriok Champion all do work just by staying on the field and this way you don't have to rely on your commanders first ability
As for cards to cut, look at some of your high converted mana cost cards and ask yourself if they're really WORTH how much they cost to play. With the added life gain options I suggested Norn's Annex and Lightmine Field seem unnecessary. Any real threats you should be able to remove with Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim's second ability.
Mimic Vat is too risky. It imprints something, and if it were to be removed, you lose a valuable tool that could've been brought back. I understand that imprinting opponents' creatures can be useful, but why rely on an opponent's deck for victory?
Ghoulcaller Gisa doesn't do much of anything for the deck. Your list only has about 4 creatures that really give any value to her ability, which isn't enough to justify the mana investment in her.
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre is counter-productive to the reanimation portion of the deck and when only running Ashnod's Altar (needs sufficient fuel) and Black Market (starts of slow), it seems really out of place.
And, lastly, Ob Nixilis, Unshackled while good in theory, will usually come out to late, and since his ability puts such a big sign that reads "Target me, or I'll mess your day up" he'll likely be 6 mana just for him to hit your graveyard which slows down your game.
Since I don't know your meta, I could be wrong with some of these and they could be invaluable in your deck: which is why I listed as many as I did. To help your thinking process on what you think you should cut from your deck. Hope it helps.
3 days ago
Blood Artist only works against one player. In multiplayer EDH, it's almost useless. Consider Awakening Zone. It's a cheaper From Beyond. Demonlord of Ashmouth really doesn't bring much to the table. It's a sacrifice every time it enters the battlefield, but for no benefit other than a 5/4 flying. Consider Savra, Queen of the Golgari. Death's Presence is also nice. I don't see the point in See the Unwritten.
3 days ago
You could also have creatures that punish your opponent's ETB triggers. Check out Suture Priest and Blood Artist. Cloudshift and Ghostway are useful for blinking your creatures to get multiple ETB triggers.
Fleshbag Marauder also has a pretty brutal ETB trigger for multi-player.
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
- Blood Artist + Phyrexian Metamorph + Sharuum the Hegemon
- Blood Artist + Bloodghast + Viscera Seer
- Ashnod's Altar + Blood Artist + Words of Wilding
- Blood Artist + Killing Wave + Mortician Beetle
- Blood Artist + Illness in the Ranks + Mercy Killing
- Blood Artist + Engineered Plague + Grave Pact
- Blasphemous Act + Blood Artist
- Forbidden Orchard + Blood Artist + Illness in the Ranks
- Barrage of Expendables + Blood Artist + Master of Cruelties
- Blood Artist + Desecration Demon
- Blood Artist + Darkest Hour
- Blood Artist + Falkenrath Aristocrat + Gravecrawler
- Blood Artist + Falkenrath Aristocrat
- Blood Artist + Martial Coup
- Blood Artist + Killing Wave + Athreos, God of Passage
- Blood Artist + Master of Cruelties
- Archangel of Thune + Blood Artist
- Blood Artist + Vampire Nighthawk + Viridian Longbow
- Bitterblossom + Blood Artist + Contamination
- Blood Artist + Illness in the Ranks
- Athreos, God of Passage + Blood Artist + Killing Wave
- Blood Artist + Teysa, Orzhov Scion
- Blood Artist + Parallel Lives + Tooth and Claw
- Blood Artist + Viscera Seer
- Blood Artist + Gravecrawler
- Ashnod's Altar + Blood Artist
- Blood Artist + Killing Wave + Mindcrank
- Blood Artist + Suture Priest + Teysa, Orzhov Scion
- Blood Artist + Blood Seeker + Illness in the Ranks
- Blood Artist + Bloodghast
- Blood Artist + Pawn of Ulamog
- Altar of Dementia + Blood Artist
- Blood Artist + Hunted Phantasm + Illness in the Ranks
- Blood Artist + Orzhov Pontiff
- Blood Artist + Grave Titan
- Blood Artist + Forbidden Orchard + Illness in the Ranks
- Blood Artist + Sculpting Steel + Sharuum the Hegemon
- Blood Artist + Massacre Wurm + Sangromancer
- Blood Artist + Killing Wave
- Blood Artist + Dark Prophecy + Dictate of Erebos
- Blood Artist + Food Chain + Prossh, Skyraider of Kher
- Blood Artist + Grave Pact + Proper Burial
- Blood Artist + Damnation
- Blood Artist + Dark Prophecy
- Blood Artist + Karmic Guide + Reveillark
- Blood Artist + Fiend Hunter + Sun Titan
- Ashnod's Altar + Blood Artist + Ghave, Guru of Spores
- Blood Artist + Bloodthrone Vampire + Pawn of Ulamog
- Blood Artist + Killing Wave + Krenko, Mob Boss
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death + Blood Artist + Solemn Simulacrum
- Blood Artist + Darkest Hour + Teysa, Orzhov Scion
- Blood Artist + Virulent Plague
- Blood Artist + Kalastria Highborn
- Blood Artist + Blood Seeker + Falkenrath Noble
- Blood Artist + Cauldron of Souls
- Blood Artist + Falkenrath Noble
- Blood Artist + Falkenrath Noble + Malakir Bloodwitch
- Altar's Reap + Blood Artist + Flayer of the Hatebound
- Blood Artist + Kiku, Night's Flower
- Blood Artist + Thopter Assembly + Time Sieve
- Blood Artist + Requiem Angel
- Blood Artist + Spawnsire of Ulamog
- Blood Artist + Spawnsire of Ulamog + Training Grounds
- Blood Artist + Krovikan Horror + Nether Traitor
- Blood Artist + Smokestack
- Blood Artist + Phyrexian Altar
- Blood Artist + Sanguine Bond + Whip of Erebos