Promise of Power
Choose one - You draw five cards and you lose 5 life; or put a black Demon creature token with flying into play with power and toughness each equal to the number of cards in your hand as the token enters the battlefield.
Entwine (Choose both if you pay the entwine cost.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Promise of Power Discussion
3 days ago
I also noticed you're lacking in card draw which usually wins games in EDH: Phyrexian Arena, Sylvan Library, Ambition's Cost/Ancient Craving, Armorcraft Judge/Inspiring Call, Shamanic Revelation/Collective Unconscious, Elemental Bond, Mentor of the Meek, Syphon Mind, Dark Prophecy, Carnage Altar/Phyrexian Vault, Harvester of Souls, Promise of Power, Decree of Pain (so good), Infernal Offering... this would be a decent pool to pick out of. I personally try to run as much draw as possible. IMO, you'd want to run atleast 6 draw cards on a curve. On top of more draw spells, you could also go the Land Tax + Scroll Rack route. It depends on how much ya have to spend on cards :P
2 weeks ago
RE: souls sisters.. I feel that they really don't impact the game enough to include them, and they don't really further the goal of the deck. They aren't a very good top deck, and the life gain is minimal...
RE: Crusade: I still think the Crusade is worthwhile even with only a few token generators. I understand you lose the counter\ counters, but you're not usually flickering more than 2 creatures a turn- and if you keep flickering a single ticket the other creatures get big... and the Triad can get bigger too...
In general, in looking at your list, I think it needs more card drawing. I don't know how you recover from wipes, or even get to your money cards, or for that matter make land drops consistently. I know the Triad can help offset it some, but the only way you have to draw cards is the Disciple, Hedron Archive, and Read the Bones. You'll be in top deck mode the majority of the game. Someone earlier suggested Phyrexian Arena, which I think is ideal, but if it's not in the budget there are a ton of good black draw spells that are cheap- Moonlight Bargain is .33, Ambition's Cost is .20, or the same effect Ancient Craving .32, Damnable Pact is .37, and even Promise of Power .49. But these will all net you cards for life, but there's plenty of life gain to balance that out.
I would also recommend Solemn Simulacrum. He's a commander staple as ramp with the ETB effect and draws a card as well. Just a good value card.
2 weeks ago
Nice deck! Got a couple ideas for you.. I'm a big fan of Duelist's Heritage over Battle Mastery... Sword of the Animist is great in non green decks especially Voltron style ones... Inspiring Statuary is great with lots of equipment cards... I like effects like Dictate of Heliod over aura pump spells here since you have so many small value creatures, plus a bunch fly. Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx can get crazy in 2 color decks. Also I feel like you could use some big card draw spells. There's so much black card draw out there that uses life loss as a drawback that you could probably some no problem. Skeletal Scrying, Phyrexian Arena, Parting Thoughts, Ambition's Cost, Ancient Craving, Graveborn Muse, Minions' Murmurs, Moonlight Bargain, Necrologia, Promise of Power, and Underworld Connections... That's more than you need, but i would pick a few of them...Alhammarret's Archive is great in life gain but it's better with card draw effects... also Rhox Faithmender & Boon Reflection for more life gain doubling. Happy gathering!
1 month ago
I'm in the process of revamping my Ayli deck into a tribal deck and your decklist gives me some great ideas so thank you for that. Welcome back to magic :) Some feedback for you:
I think instead of categories named "ramp" and "mana rocks", they should be "ramp" and "draw". This will give you a better idea of how many draw spells you actually have, which (in my opinion) you don't have enough for such a low mana curve. And on the ramp side of things, I'd stick in 2-3 more.
More commander protection.
Considerations for adds
- Westvale Abbey Flip - Good alternative win-con and an okay token generator if you have nothing else to do
- Wrath of God / Fumigate / etc - OG wrath, and a great on-theme wrath. I'd recommend more than just the one you have but it depends on playgroup. Also casting this after you get the Battalion trigger from Frontline Medic makes me foam at the mouth
- Suture Priest - second cousin of the soul sisters
- Pious Evangel Flip - third cousin,twice removed in-law of the soul sisters
- Sun Titan - Double recursion, and you have so many targets with your curve
- Dawn of the Dead - What's nice about this recursion option is you aren't forced to exile the creature if it'd somehow leave the battlefield through other means cough Ayli cough
- Knight of the White Orchid - ramp
- Wayfarer's Bauble - ramp
- Sword of the Animist - ramp. You'll most likely sac the creature away before combat resolves anyway.
- Pristine Talisman - ramp, lifegain. Best of the bunch of 3 CMCs for this deck. Possibly 1-2 additional 3/4 CMC* rocks.
- Oath of Lieges - ramp
- Swiftfoot Boots - protection
- Gift of Immortality - protection. I love comboing with this and a high toughness creature although it can also be used for Ayli
- Darksteel Plate - protection
- Trading Post - great utility for this deck
- Heliod, God of the Sun - Not the best God out there but very thematic for the deck
- Viridian Longbow - turns Ayli into a sniper with her Deathtouch
- Illusionist's Bracers - double up Ayli's abilities
- Custodi Soulbinders - big boy in multiplayer
- Mikaeus, the Unhallowed - if you have a lot of non-humans this could go a long way
- Archangel of Thune / Cliffhaven Vampire / Vizkopa Guildmage - weaponize that lifegain
- Pontiff of Blight - I see him in your sideboard--I think his ability is great for this deck and he's got a big butt
- Phyrexian Processor - with enough lifegain you could make X pretty large. Combos great with Children of Korlis
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel - this guy can damn near win the game for you if you can recur him enough times
- Tree of Perdition - somewhat gimmicky but you can see its potential with Ayli
- Any of the three Elspeth Planeswalkers are solid in this deck.
- draw - I'm struggling with this myself. Ambition's Cost, Greed, Necropotence, Jar of Eyeballs, Dark Prophecy, Mind's Eye, Disciple of Bolas, Harvester of Souls, Promise of Power
Considerations for removal
- Exorcist - I'm not a fan because it's only black, that's too restrictive
- Orzhov Signet - *my issue with the signet is that it's CMC is 2 which conflicts with Ayli. I'd rather get slightly more value out of a 3 CMC the turn after
- Orzhov Pontiff - Ability seems minimal at best but maybe i have tunnel vision
- Hidden Stockpile - Maybe switch to Bitterblossom if price isn't a concern. Or, if you add some of the other token generators maybe this one won't be needed anyway
- Martyr of Sands - Not nearly enough card draw to get a huge benefit out of this
1 month ago
Whip of Erebos also seems like it would fit in quite well into this deck.
2 months ago
Ooh I love obscure tribal decks. Saw your post on reddit but from some reason the website was saving my comment so I'll just leave comment here:
Rule #1 for janky tribes is that you cannot skimp on the power of the support cards. The core theme of your deck (skeletons) is already at an disadvantage (since skeletons are not that strong and there are not too many of them), you can't afford to pull too many punches on your other slots.
First, I think you have too many small draw effects like Succumb to Temptation and Infernal Scarring. If your meta is not too fast I would recommend only keeping the best 1-3 of these and adding some larger draw or tutor effects (e.g., Skeletal Scrying, Promise of Power, Moonlight Bargain, Necropotence, Plunge into Darkness, Diabolic Intent). Mid-sized draw is also worth considering, like Ancient Craving or Ambition's Cost.
You also have a lot of (weak) point removal which seems excessive unless your meta is really atypical of casual EDH metas. You run just keep a few (3-6) of your favorites (ones that are cheap, unconditional, and exiles are best), and replace the rest with in some removal that give you more card advantage and other utility. Mass removal that don't block regen, e.g., Crux of Fate, Day of Judgment, and Austere Command, could be useful for this deck because your skeletons can regenerate from them. You can also consider more Dictate of Erebos type effects like Grave Pact, Butcher of Malakir, or Martyr's Bond. You should at least replace Pacifism with something like Journey to Nowhere or even Faceless Butcher.
The next step is deciding on a specific game plan. Right now I see elements of aggro, control, and combo, but you'll want to specialize I think. Aggro is probably the weakest because skeletons don't have good aggressive stats, but if you want to go that route you'll want better pump effects like Obelisk of Urd, Coat of Arms, good equipment (Sword of Fire and Ice, Batterskull, Umezawa's Jitte), etc. If you want control then bombs like Profane Command, Wretched Confluence, etc.
If you want to combo win, which I think is actually the best plan for weaker tribes (because instant kill is instant kill no matter how bad your creatures are), then it's about picking which combo you want. I really like Mikaeus, the Unhallowed + Phyrexian Altar + Reassembling Skeleton/Tenacious Dead combined with something like Blood Artist or Falkenrath Noble, since most of the pieces fit naturally into what your deck was already doing anyways. Mikaeus + Triskelion is also super strong. Combo pieces like Enduring Renewal also go well with what you have already. If you go the combo route don't forget more tutors like Entomb, Increasing Ambition, Beseech the Queen, etc.
For sacrifice outlets some good ones are Phyrexian Altar, Viscera Seer, Phyrexian Plaguelord, Sadistic Hypnotist. And for artifacts, I would replace some of the less reliable ones like Gorgon's Head and Howling Mine with better equipment or Smuggler's Copter.
And for your mana, do you find 32 lands is enough? Skeletons are cheap but they have some pretty hefty activation costs. Most EDH decks are 35-40 lands, and maybe some more mana rocks (Sol Ring).
And finally, you can take a look here http://magiccards.info/query?q=t%3A%22skeleton%22&s=cname&v=card to see if there are other skeletons that might be better for your deck (e.g., Marang River Skeleton). Did you know that freaking Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon is a skeleton? Probably the best one in the game. Also don't forget things like Metallic Mimic, Adaptive Automaton, Brass Herald, or changelings like Skeletal Changeling, Cairn Wanderer, Mirror Entity.
Sorry about the huge wall of text, I just really like what you are going for with your deck! Hopefully some of those ideas useful even if not all those cards are going to fit into the deck. Let me know if anything doesn't make sense or if you want more budget suggestions. You can also check out an example of the janky tribe with powerful support staples in my black knight combo deck The Dark Knight Returns - Haakon combo knights if you want. Good luck with your deck, whichever direction you end up taking it!
2 months ago
White has minimal card draw meaning you're going to have to lean on black a bit which means paying life.