|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology Vol. II (CM2)||Rare|
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Rare|
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||None|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Zendikar vs. Eldrazi (DDP)||Rare|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Sorin vs. Tibalt (DDK)||Rare|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Butcher of Malakir
Creature — Vampire Warrior
Whenever Butcher of Malakir or another creature you control dies, each opponent sacrifices a creature.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Butcher of Malakir Discussion
1 week ago
+1 for Edgar Markov, one of the most badass Vamp Boss around.
I'd recommend lowering the CMC of the deck to around 3 or less if able to hasten the pace at which your treats hit the board.
Some useful vampires you can consider:
Dusk Legion Zealot and 1 life for 2 1/1 bodies and 1 card, pretty good deal.
Gifted Aetherborn An uncommon with Deathtouch, Lifelink, with P/T of 2/3 for just , nuff said.
Legion Lieutenant Vampire Lord is sexy.
Vampire Hexmage a.k.a Planeswalker Nemesis!
Viscera Seer one of my all time favorite, Sac outlet and Scry in 1 card.
1 week ago
I think you did a pretty good job for a first deck.
You seem to be running a combination of really good cards and out of place shitty cards. Unless there is some combo or synergy you have with them that I'm missing I think the following cards are garbage and should be cut:
If your opponents are going off way faster than you then you need to think about how to upset their early game with hate pieces. In combo heavy metas cards like Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Vryn Wingmare and Glowrider slow your opponents down enough to let you gain control of the situation Kambal, Consul of Allocation also gains you life to stick around as they cast themselves to death. for creature heavy metas cards like Archfiend of Depravity, Ophiomancer, forced sac like Butcher of Malakir Dictate of Erebos and Magus of the Tabernacle can really fuck over a lot of decks. For pure control, stax is usually the best option in competitive EDH since relying on counterspells and spot removal to keep 3 other players in check isn't feasible. I also always recommend some graveyard hate in any deck Nihil Spellbomb Relic of Progenitus Grafdigger's Cage Rest in Peace Tormod's Crypt Crypt Incursion Silent Gravestone are all good and cheap to play. I also personally put Necropotence in every black deck, It's so good it honestly should be banned. other good general control cards are Force of Will Pact of Negation Mystic Confluence and Cryptic Command.
I'm not really clear on the win con. Something like a Blightsteel Colossus, any of the preators, or a x mana life drain like Debt to the Deathless, Exsanguinate, or Torment of Hailfire could kill of opponents once you've stabilized the game.
1 week ago
Hi! I'm personally a huge fan of Muldrotha as a commander; so first of all, nice choice! Here are some cuts and additions I'd recommend:
- Archetype of Endurance. This card is very powerful to be sure, but Muldrotha already needs a lot of mana to function, and you don't have very many ways to cheat it into play.
- Butcher of Malakir. Grave Pact and Dictate of Erebos are more expensive money-wise, but being cheaper on mana and also more resilient makes them much, much better.
- Deranged Assistant. It looks good at first glance, but it's a 2-mana dork, and you're not playing any of the 1-mana dorks anyways. The single-card mill is a very minor upside.
- Millikin. Same as above.
- Nyx Weaver. It can be very good, but it's just too slow. There are much better ways to mill yourself, and a 6-mana Regrowth is way too much mana.
- Progenitor Mimic. A powerful card to be sure, but this isn't the deck for it.
- Slum Reaper. I think this card is only really worth running in decks that badly need the 3rd Fleshbag Marauder. Shriekmaw is almost always going to be better.
- Aether Spellbomb. Looping it can be fun, but bouncing a creature is a terrible waste, and there are better ways to draw cards with artifacts.
- Perpetual Timepiece. This card was good on Game Knights when they were only using Standard cards, but we have better options.
- Plague Boiler. This card is also cool, but once again, we have better choices.
- Demonic Vigor. Fun with Muldrotha, but there is usually so much exile-based removal in Commander that this card isn't as good as you think.
- Hesitation. Sweet include, but looks a little too cute. Very easy to play around, and also counters your spells.
- Skeletal Grimace. Same as Demonic Vigor.
- Thrull Retainer. Same.
- Grave Pact / Dictate of Erebos
- Living Death
- Dimir Signet
- Siren Stormtamer
- Farhaven Elf
- Wood Elves
- Evolutionary Leap
- Altar of Dementia
- Ashnod's Altar
- Pelakka Wurm
- Kiora, the Crashing Wave
- Viscera Seer
- Carrion Feeder
- Glen Elendra Archmage (pricey, but very powerful)
- Nihil Spellbomb (secretly fantastic here)
- Sultai Charm
- Phyrexian Arena
Hope this helps! Feel free to leave a comment on my profile if you'd like further suggestions for this or any other deck! Good luck!
2 weeks ago
I found a really cool thing you can do with Oathsworn Vampire SO Butcher of Malakir and Indulgent Aristocrat and Drana's Emissary oh so fun pretty simple use sacrifice get +1/+1 counters witch triggers the Butcher of Malakir make other people sacrifice and at upkeep you get oathsworn back recast him rinse and repeat.
That is scratching the surface you can stack this loop to all types of fun with leveraging the initial sacrifice Blood Artist, Havengul Vampire,Bloodflow Connoisseur these are just examples you can stack more on top of that with vampires. Now we need to add Oathsworn into my sons deck and if Edgar is you commander when you bring oathsworn back on the field you get another vampire token oh the glorious ways to stack in mtg.
3 weeks ago
Also wanted to mention Emrakul's Evangel, Descent of the Dragons, Fresh Meat, and Second Harvest to turn a few tokens into a lot more tokens. Bramble Sovereign is another way to copy token-making creatures. Living Plane, Nature's Revolt, and Natural Emergence can animate your lands so you can make tokens of them.
3 weeks ago
Thanks for the reply! Firegriff
I will try to get more synergy.
I have always found Butcher of Malakir interessting, but maybe he has a too high mana cost.
Whisper, Blood Liturgist is a great suggestion and he fits the deck with the theme and sacrifice effect.
3 weeks ago
Well, there is Butcher of Malakir to be considered. Great for a $0.37 cent card. What you really need for the deck are sac outlets (Bloodthrone Vampire) and cards that benefit from creatures dieing. Like Scavenger Drake. Pawn of Ulamog helps out, too. Basically, you want to benefit from death (the aforementioned Doomed Dissenter) and punish opponents for deaths with cards like Selhoff Occultist or Rage Thrower). Thin out cards that don't care about either their own death or the death of others... Or bring other cards back from the graveyard, such as Whisper, Blood Liturgist
3 weeks ago
The first thing I suggest doing is cleaning up the manabase. 37 is a good number but we've got wayyy too many duals that enter tapped. Some cheap options to upgrade-
The one battle land you can run Smoldering Marsh
For some budget creature changes i'd consider cutting these -
Licia, sanguine Tribune
maybe Rakish Heir
They all seem overcosted, or have niche effects.
I'd consider replacing these with -