|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Garruk vs. Liliana||Common|
|Shards of Alara||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Shaman
Whenever another creature is put into a graveyard from play, you may gain 1 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
1 month ago
@ frwtr1968 Love the deck so far! It seems like a very fun and efficient mix of ramp, stax, sacrifice effects and reanimation! Normally, I would suggest adding some more ramp, but honestly I think you are pretty good! However, 37 lands for a deck with an average cmc of 2.86 is a lot and I would suggest cutting a land or two and adding in some more mana doublers like Nirkana Revenant and Magus of the Coffers to help ramp you (I would lower your land count to 36 lands if it was up to me, but 37 is just fine too). Nirkana Revenant is also a great finisher if you can somehow manage to get it through unblocked with something like a Whispersilk Cloak! The only thing I am struggling with is how you plan to win the game. While winning through attrition and recursion is definitely possible, I feel like you deck lacks staying power late game. Since you have a bunch of 1/1s and 2/2s, you aren't really winning through combat damage, and since you don't have any infinite combos (that I can see) you can't threaten to combo off and win that way. I would personally recommend adding in at least one infinite combo, a few more tutors and some more sac effects to help you win the game easier! In particular, I would recommend including the Mikaeus, the Unhallowed + Walking Ballista/Triskelion combo to close out games that go long. In addition to being a combo piece, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed is an amazing value engine that provides redundancy in terms of recursion and synergizes with Black Sun's Zenith! Another way to increase the power level of your deck is to add more tutors. Some tutors that are underused and would work great in your deck are Diabolic Intent, Increasing Ambition and Beseech the Queen. Lastly there are a TON of cards that synergize with your sacrifice theme (of permanents in general, not just creatures) or that benefit from creatures dying, that I think warrant some serious consideration. It don't have time to explain them all, so I will just provide a list and let you decide which ones to include! Alright, here are the cards I think should probably be in your deck: Fume Spitter, Tree of Perdition, Toxic Deluge, Death Cloud, Deathgreeter, Demon of Death's Gate, Ob nixilis, the unshackled, Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath, Weaponcraft Enthusiast (amazing reanimation target), Nezumi Bone-Reader, Malicious Affliction (Best removal for your colors!), Exsanguinate, Lake of the Dead, Bitterblossom (a must include in my opinion), Tragic Slip, Darksteel Plate (to protect Shirei), Hope of Ghirapur, Champion's Helm (same reasoning as Darksteel Plate), Bone Splinters, Killing Wave, Ashnod's Altar, Altar of Dementia, Waste Not, Cryptbreaker, Strionic Resonator (Does double Shirei triggers sound fun?!), Wretched Confluence, Entomb, and Champion of Stray Souls! Anyways, I know that's a lot of suggestions and a lot of information to take in, but I figured I should give you all the advice I have and let you decide what to do with it! Feel free to ask me for more advice or suggestions if you need to. Good luck with this amazing deck!
1 month ago
1 month ago
2 months ago
Scoured Barrens is a must include, even if you just replace Salt Flats. Also, how about Radiant Fountain or Kabira Crossroads? Your land count is kind of low, I would add Kor Cartographer and/or Liliana's Shade. Recur them early and often with Athroes, Phyrexian Reclamation, Ravos, Soultender, etc. For further land triggers I started to run Ruin Ghost, bounce those life gain lands. Don't forget to tap them before you bounce them.
How about Karlov himself, or Treasury Thrull ? I have gotten huge value from both.
If you average game is 3+ opponents, Shattered Angel is great value.
3 months ago
3 months ago
Westvale Abbey Flip is really nice with Endrek Sahr, giving you a 9/7 haste, flying, indestructible, and I think trample for 5 Thrulls. Demon of Death's Gate is another nice beater that goes well with tokens. You also can try out Voracious Null, Flesh Carver, Deathgreeter, Gutless Ghoul, and Hecatomb.
Conspiracy allows you to get around Endrek Sahr's second ability, although you can always sac creatures in response to it.
3 months ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!