|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Planar Chaos (PLC)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
When you play Temporal Extortion, any player may pay half his or her life, rounded up. If a player does, counter Temporal Extortion.
Take an extra turn after this one.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (10)||rebelteddybear , Supremespeed , Fullmetalmage , Mousemke , gosora , Epidilius , mycheze , tragic_slip , ZombieFood , fireborne1986|
|Want (12)||Cetriel , Iveliᴓs , CryAll , Loading_Error , Teufell , slytherinxox , TremblehornT86 , Duct-Tape-Guardian , vaerth , Pshar , notsaying , kovellen|
Temporal Extortion Discussion
4 days ago
kamarupaI did upgrade two cards to the ones you mentioned and it had a huge effect on the competitiveness on the deck, according to tapped'. So I think how valued the cards are irl is a big and could be a determining factor, at least important. However you could argue, when I switched one cheap card to a more expensive one from the list, it suddenly made the deck LESS competitive according to the meter. This was when I already had the said cards. Yet, the impact was big. So i guess you are right about it having to do with how much pay to play it is, however, i suspect it could have to do with the combination of the cards as well. After all, slapping a deck of completely unplayable and yet expensive cards together won't make it competitive, right?
Right now it's a discard/control deck, could also be a taxes deck depending on how one defines it. As i've understood it taxes usually implements higher elements of white and creatures, such as the things that have extort and temporal exiles etc. It could be interesting to know more about that. Which leads us into the next subject: when you say "fork" I assume you mean copying the decklist and putting it in a new deck so you can use the cards and look at it. And I think that's what I will do with it, creating a similar deck with extort and cards such as Treasury Thrull and Vizkopa Confessor. I thought it would be fun to play that sort of deck, and probably orzhov and also include Temporal Extortion in the deck. That would be fun for the first fork. U got any ideas?
Also, thanks for all the help, you give advice to me and you helped me create and finish this modern deck! :)
1 week ago
I really like the concept of the deck, however I think that you have a lot of cards which don't add much value to the strategy.
For cards you could easily cut:
Iona, Shield of Emeria, Cloudshift, Essence Flux, Graceful Adept, Sen Triplets, Greed, Leyline of Anticipation, Near-Death Experience, Paradox Haze, Bond of Agony, Enduring Ideal, Sanguimancy, Temporal Extortion, Conjurer's Closet, Phyrexian Processor, Spellbook, Vedalken Orrery and Carrion Howler. You also have too many lands, you could easily go down to 36 and be fine.
As for cards I would add to the deck:
Unspeakable Symbol is an amazing card, it provides the deck with instant speed life loss, but also provides you a win condition in the form of commander damage from Zur. On top of this it can be tutored by him.
Spirit Mantle lets Zur connect, allowing you those sweet tutors.
Soul Channeling is another effect that lets you pay life that is tutorable by Zur. It's not great but it's still ebtter than some of the life loss effect you're running.
Counterspells! the best way to protect your stuff (since you have to go a round once you've tutored your combo), you need much more in the way of counterspells to protect your pieces. Counterspell, Swan Song, Mana Drain (if it's in your price range), Delay, Negate, Arcane Denial, Pact of Negation, these are all good examples of counterspells you should be running. On top of this you should run removal, especially stuff like Swords to Plowshares, Anguished Unmaking, Disenchant, etc. as well as Grasp of Fate and Detention Sphere. There's also Seal of Cleansing and Aura of Silence.
Ramp! You don't have very much in the way of ramp/fixing. I would recommend finding space for Dimir Signet, Talisman of Dominance, Azorius Signet, Talisman of Progress, Orzhov Signet, and depending on your budget, Mana Crypt and Mox Diamond. Dark Ritual is another good burst of mana as well.
Savor the Moment is a card you could use to get to your next turn (to jumpstart your combo) if you wanted to.
And if you're concerned about discarding to handsize, Reliquary Tower and Library of Leng between the two should be enough. But for the most part you don't really card, just sculpt your best 7 and go from there.
Hopefully this'll help streamline the deck.
2 weeks ago
kamarupa I have slept on my decision, and decided to add your suggestion Painful Quandary to the deck. Because I think you are right about it being a strong card for "taxing" your opponent. As for taxing, it's all about punishing your opponent for doing certain moves and making it harder for him to play cards as well as absorb his life. So that's why this card feels strong for me right now. It would also be nice with some combo in the deck that triggers effects that makes painful quandry go off. That's why I want to build this deck around gitaxias. Got any suggestions for other taxing cards? Two cards that I can think of that tax the opponent by an ultimatumare Dash Hopes and Temporal Extortion. They give the opponent a choice and then he gets to chose between losing life or something else.
The reason that i think Traumatize still may be a good choice is that, I need to get stuff from the grave, true, however, step one is getting them to the grave. I need something that mills my deck so i can get stuff from it. The ultimate would be playing a deck which both lets me play stuff from the grave and tax the opponent.
One simple example of a card that "taxes" the opponent could be Gnat Miser and is a classic one drop for decks that use discard and cards similar to that. I don't know whether you think that card is good and the reason it's excluded from the deck is that there are other solutions for making the opponent discard. Another thing that I'm considering for the deck is having some creatures with extort that lets you gain life and extort the opponent when he plays cards is Tithe Drinker. I know it's a black-white card, however there are some who play black-white extort aswell.
1 month ago
Keeping the demon subtheme I would suggest: Ammit Eternal, Baleful Ammit, Archfiend of Despair, Demon of Catastrophes, Demon of Dark Schemes, Demon of Wailing Agonies, Harvester of Souls, Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis, Reiver Demon
I would remove: Buried Alive (don't see strong graveyard recursion), Temporal Extortion/Dash Hopes (bc if its that important to your opponents they will pay the life), Grinning Demon/Minion of Leshrac (no upside), Gloom/Infernal Reckoning(unless this is a meta choice but its too situational), Sanguine Bond (do you gain that much life to be relevant?), Death's Approach (for hard removal) and Without Weakness
2 months ago
You're off to a decent start, I'd say. Your curve looks good, though you're mana base is a bit weak at the moment (you should be running about 40 land for consistency). Some commentary as I took notes:
Heliod, God of the Sun doesn't seem to fit with the overall theme of the deck. You'd be better off with a card that will give you lifelink creatures or something, to help offset the life-loss from your various effects. Whip of Erebos would be my pick for this deck.
Blood Tribute is going to want more vampires, which are kind of slim in your deck at the moment.
Brainspoil is...poor removal. I would remove it. Killing Wave, on the other hand, is a good choice for sweep, and Remorseless Punishment and Temporal Extortion are nice. I like Near-Death Experience as an alternate win-con, but Path of Bravery is going to hamper that, especially since you don't appear to have super-consistent lifegain.
You have...two? infect cards. I would remove them since infect is really an alternate win-con that you aren't geared toward. Diseased Vermin might make for an alternate rat if you must have a rat, especially if you can give it evasion somehow, and it works with lifelink. It's not a strong pick for the deck, though.
Seekers' Squire doesn't really seem to fit any of your themes.
Ones that work somewhat with the life drain: Defiant Bloodlord, Retreat to Hagra, Thrull Parasite, Bontu's Monument, Kambal, Consul of Allocation, Underworld Coinsmith (this would be a reason to keep Heliod, actually), Zulaport Cutthroat, and maybe Vizkopa Confessor
Others that pay life or give you life somehow: Arguel's Blood Fast Flip, Chainer, Dementia Master, Cruel Sadist, Phyrexian Reclamation, Vona, Butcher of Magan, and Elenda, the Dusk Rose (for working with your creatures dying).
All of this, of course, is subject to what you're willing to buy, and you don't have to listen to anything I say. It's your deck, after all.
2 months ago
- Sol Ring è _l'artefatto_ per rampare. Must have.
- Sword of the Animist è molto utile per rampare delle terre sul campo di battaglia.
- Caged Sun è fortissimo nei mazzi mono colore come il tuo.
- Bad Moon è carina, ma pompa _tutte_ le creature nere.
- Victimize è ottima graveyard recursion.
- Living Death ti fa riprendere dai boardwipe.
- Thrilling Encore ti fa riprendere dai boardwipe
- Bloodcrazed Paladin è molto grosso se lo tiri dopo un boardwipe.
- Cover of Darkness fa i grossi buchi.
- Cauldron of Souls ha buone sinergie se riesci a dare poi segnalini +1/+1, che annullano i -1/-1.
- Myriad Landscape è un'ottimo ramp.
- Mortuary Mire ti dà nuovamente accesso ad una creatura che è finita al cimitero.
- Vampire Hexmage è veramente troppo forte, se ti capita di avere Dark Depths sul campo di battaglia...
- Cabal Coffers è op, facendoti fare assurde quantità di mana, ma è molto costosa.
- Cabal Stronghold è la versione povera di Cabal Coffers, ma sempre forte in lategame.
- Crypt of Agadeem è la versione povera di Cabal Stronghold, ma è anche meglio di un pugno negli occhi perché fa mana nero anche di base.
- Black Market è un sacco di mana nero gratis, molto meglio di Dark Ritual.
- Nirkana Revenant è un vampiro che ti raddoppia il mana. Yeah!
- Crypt Ghast non è un vampiro, ma ti sdoppia il mana.
- Magus of the Coffers è fottutamente Cabal Coffers, ma più facile da rimuovere. Tuttavia, anche lui non è un vampiro.
- Temporal Extortion è un turno bonus, oppure un sacco di danni, e costa solo 4.
- In Garruk's Wake è come Plague Wind, più o meno.
- Mutilate è super, perché i -1/-1 possono distruggere le creature indistruttibili. Puoi considerarla la versione potenziata di Languish visto che sei in mono nero.
- Exsanguinate è una win condition e sei pure in tema vampiro.
- Phyrexian Arena e Necropotence ti fanno pescare a lot, ma attento a non abusarle.
- Whip of Erebos dà lifelink a tutte le tue creature. In più, ti fa tornare temporaneamente le creature sul campo.
- Bloodhusk Ritualist, se multipotenziata abbastanza, butta un giocatore fuori dalla partita, facendogli scartare tutta la mano.
- Twilight Prophet è qualcosa di assurdo, che ti fa pescare, fa danni a tutti gli avversari e ti fa guadagnare vita.
- Champion of Dusk è un pescone enorme, e per questo si possono accettare anche un po' di danni. In più, come minimo peschi uno, perché anche lui è un vampiro.
- Dusk Legion Zealot è un peschino + creatura a costo 2.
- Defiant Bloodlord è Sanguine Bond su una creatura.
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir mette tanti bei segnalini sui tuoi vampiri, inoltre può fare anche da comandante.
- Guul Draz Overseer è un bel buff tutte le volte che entra una swamp.
- Necropolis Regent è un gran bel vampiro da avere sul campo di battaglia.
- Driver of the Dead è da tenere in considerazione, anche se purtroppo è limitato in ciò che può prendere dal cimitero.
- Bloodline Necromancer è la versione forte di quello di prima.
- Gifted Aetherborn ha delle belle keyword e costa 2.
- Gatekeeper of Malakir è un piccolo removal, ma alla fine non è così forte, perché è facilmente aggirabile./li>
- Yahenni, Undying Partisan è indistruttibile in ogni momento in cui potresti averne bisogno, tipo se viene tirato un boardwipe.
- Mirri the Cursed è fortissima.
- Bishop of the Bloodstained è un buon ammontare di danni, ma alla fine, è forte solo se sei già in vantaggio, quindi è un po' troppo situazionale.
- Soul Collector è quasi sempre qualcosa che non si vuole bloccare.
- Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet è removal ed anche token producer.
- Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet è fortissimo, ma costicchia molto.
Vedi tu cosa togliere, se vuoi ti mando una lista di cosa toglierei io su whatsapp. Inoltre, secondo me, potresti considerare un paio di terre in meno, siccome la tua curva di mana, per come è adesso il mazzo, è molto bassa. Tu nel caso cambia qualche carta, e ricontrolla la curva, poi ti adegui di conseguenza.
3 months ago
Added two copies of Temporal Extortion to sideboard, just to add a little more disruption and headache.
3 months ago
People could always sideboard them just in case. It could perhaps come in handy. I personally would'nt really run them knowing that I can see their hands and exile massively their deck engine cards with ease. I also wouldn't know what to swap out for it.
My impressions of the sideboard would be any 2 cards from the side swapped with 2 copies of either Sign in Blood or Night's Whisper. I recommend swapping Night's Whisper since Sign in Blood allows you to deal 2 damage to your opponent's health! Basically Temporal Extortion + Dash Hopes +Sign in Blood leaves them with 3 HP. Which means they can't really pay any more health for another temporal or hopes since they'd reach the lethal range of another Sign in Blood.