Whenever a creature you don't control dies, return it to the battlefield under your control with an additional +1/+1 counter on it at the beginning of the next end step. That creature is a black Zombie in addition to its other colors and types.
|Have (3)||IcyLightning , metalmagic , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|
|Want (5)||Waltbo , slowmotionjones , DivineVinxx , Oliviridian , GnRSully1205|
Printings View all
|Return to Ravnica (RTR)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Grave Betrayal occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%
Grave Betrayal Discussion
2 days ago
Looks good! You might like these: Krark's Thumb , Mindmoil , Teferi's Puzzle Box , Bag of Holding , Bone Miser , Dark Deal , Geth's Grimoire , Alhammarret's Archive , Psychosis Crawler , Twinflame , Helm of the Host , Conjurer's Closet , Dingus Staff , Endless Whispers , Grave Betrayal , Thrilling Encore
1 week ago
king-saproling Thanks for your feedback! I really like the idea of adding Slaughter in (that buyback would make it a great constant) as well as Black Market , Corpse Churn (in case Ghast gets nixed early on and I need the mana), and definitely Deserted Temple !
I looked over the others and some of them focus more on graveyard recursion of creatures in my own field (which I don't have that many). I do like the ones that pull from others' graveyards, but I'm wondering if it is better to keep Rise of the Dark Realms at 9 cmc in there versus Grave Betrayal at 7 cmc and an instant +1/+1 counter upgrade. Do you have any thoughts on that?
I'd like to try and keep this more of a budget build and have 86'd some of the crazy cards in it like Mana Crypt and such.
That Imps' Taunt is interesting, but I don't think I would need that kind of controlling feature atm. Maybe I'm wrong though! The MTG gods will tell all when I need it and wish I had it ;)
Updated the lists and brought the price down below $400. I also think it is interesting how it shows the mana curve for these cards. Many of the effects of the 4cmcs can be replaced with paying life or are less just from being a mono black deck.
1 week ago
Slaughter could be interesting since it not only triggers Toshiro, but it has buyback so you can recur it indefinitely (even if you cast it using Toshiro's ability). Imps' Taunt works in a similar way and is an interesting form of disruption for mono-black.
You might also like these: Locket of Yesterdays , Sangromancer , Revel in Riches , Black Market , K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth , Spoils of Blood , Grave Betrayal , Fated Return , Corpse Churn , Wretched Confluence , Aphotic Wisps , Cremate , Dark Dabbling , Deserted Temple
2 weeks ago
Karn, Silver Golem works as another Xenic Poltergeist. Tetzimoc, Primal Death will just live in your hand, can only be removed with discard effects and kills things for a B each. Darksteel Garrison is an equipment for lands that can kill things. You need to include Glaring Spotlight so Horobi is not hard-countered. If your opponent's stuff keeps dying, why not add a Grave Betrayal to steal them.
Just some ideas.
3 weeks ago
Black has stuff like Unholy Indenture and Grave Betrayal . Functionally identical as the goal is to remove your opponents Commander from play, be it by changing it's typing, bouncing, tucking, killing, exiling or in this case just gaining control.
I disagree with red "needing" it. Red has plenty of utility under it's belt. Generally speaking, red wants to relentlessly assault your opponent whenever possible and trade long-term strategy for short-term aggression.
Red, as a color, doesn't need to warp a permanent into another kind.
Now if you want to do something like Izzet and turn the thing into a mana rock, or Gruul and say it must attack each turn if able but only other opponents, that's fine.
But mono-red? Nah.
1 month ago
So Scarab God is one of my favorite commanders so you're in luck. I have a lot of recommendations for you. Lets start off with creatures. Creatures: Though you want mostly zombie tribal, you do want a few largely impactful cards that you can discard into your graveyard and recast with The Scarab God . Some cards I'd recommend are Sheoldred, Whispering One , Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur , Sower of Discord <--- This card in combination with Paradox Haze + Wound Reflection make for an extremely quick kill for 2 people, Noxious Ghoul , Ghoulcaller Gisa , Eternal Skylord , Gleaming Overseer , Undead Alchemist , Corpse Connoisseur , Lord of the Accursed , Lich Lord of Unx and Gisa and Geralf
Lands: First of all your Crypt of the Eternals isn't legal in your deck as it has red mana. Now lands are usually the most expensive part of a deck but also the most important part of the deck. If you're willing to cough up the money or want to get proxies of them here's my recommendations: Cabal Coffers , Command Tower , Crypt of Agadeem , Fabled Passage , Field of the Dead , Myriad Landscape , Nephalia Drownyard , Phyrexian Tower , Polluted Delta , Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth , and Volrath's Stronghold . If you have a way of making a proxy I'd also recommend Underground Sea because this card is ridiculously expensive. Then equalize your basic lands a bit more with 13-14 swamps and 7-8 islands.
Sorceries/Instants: My recommendation is remove all of your instants and sorceries with the exception of From Under the Floorboards , Syphon Flesh , Army of the Damned and Zombie Apocalypse . Now simply replace them with Restless Dreams , Mind Bomb and Careful Study so you have more discard outlets.
Artifacts/Mana Dorks: Most of your artifacts and mana dorks are good but could use some tuning. My recommendation is to swap Dimir Locket with Dimir Signet . Swap Prismatic Lens with Arcane Signet . Swap Star Compass with Commander's Sphere . Swap Charcoal Diamond with Darksteel Ingot . Then as an alternate win condition, you can toss in a Mindcrank and Strionic Resonator to mill your opponents as they take damage and then allowing you to double Scarab Gods ability.
Enchantments: You're missing out on some amazing potential with enchantments. Keep all of the ones you have but think about replacing Monastery Siege with a Rhystic Study or The Immortal Sun . Now I'm just gonna list off a lot of enchantments for you that work wonders in this style of deck. Pick and choose which ones you want: Tortured Existence , Zombie Infestation , Curse of Disturbance , Phyrexian Arena , Grave Pact , No Mercy , Dictate of Erebos , Liliana's Mastery , Open the Graves , Rooftop Storm <-- this one is a must have. Wound Reflection and finally Grave Betrayal . Your Endless Ranks of the Dead is new to me btw and I'll definitely be adding that one into my Scarab God deck. That thing is nuts.
Lastly your Maybeboard, the only cards I'd recommend putting in is Torment of Hailfire and Grave Titan . The rest are either unnecessary or do more harm than good. Though if you do want a planeswalker I'd highly recommend Liliana, Untouched By Death . She synergizes with the deck extremely well, especially if you have Rooftop Storm on the battlefield because now you can just recast everything from your graveyard for free.
1 month ago
Looks good! You might like these: Infernal Genesis , Champion of Stray Souls , Ogre Slumlord , Harvester of Souls , Syr Konrad, the Grim , Grave Betrayal , Gray Merchant of Asphodel , Cauldron of Souls , Desecrated Tomb , Mimic Vat , Xathrid Necromancer .
Also, I hate to burst your bubble, but Carrion has been errata'd; You only sacrifice one creature at the time of casting, you can't sacrifice more than one.
1 month ago
Hey MagicalHacker. Thanks for taking the time and sharing some tips! I actually had a look at your deck in action as one of the sources for inspiration. Great stuff!
Before going over your suggestions, do you have any tips on what to cut :)? Would be nice to also hear your view on what cards you think I shouldn't run.
This is how I currently evaluate the cards you mentioned:
- Animate Dead , Necromancy & Reanimate : I like these cards, but I found the other graveyard recursion cards to be more appealing. I prioritized runing cards that can get me multiple creatures from the grave over one-shot effects. I might get Reanimate back in the list someday just because of the nostalgia factor.
- Aura Thief , Steal Artifact & Steal Enchantment : I don't like that these cards are narrow in application. I prefer to have card with a lot of options over more efficient ones in a control deck like this. Aura thief is really strong, but I am not running ways to get it to the grave reliably (like a sac outlet). That is why I ended u cutting it.
- Control Magic & Dream Leash : Great options if I get some more room for more steal effects. Dream leash is really strong. However, I prefer the other 5-drops I'm running atm, and I want to keep my curve nice and smooth.
- Geth, Lord of the Vault : love this card. However, I ended up cutting it for curve considerations.
- Grave Betrayal & Mind's Dilation : Both cards I like and have been in decks before. However, they are both do-nothing-enchantments for 7 mana. I like the 7-drops I ended up including better (and again, I want to keep a smooth curve).
- Memory Plunder : I don't like this card. It's mana cost is quite prohibitive with all the colored mana and only gets back 1 card. I like Spelltwine better. I might undervalue the fact that it's an instant, but with my playstyle I'm not expecting to hold up 4 mana with this deck.
- Mimic Vat : Fun card, but more at home in an arsticrats-style deck imo. It doesn't have additional synergy with what the deck is doing as I run very few ways to kill creatures.
- Agent of Treachery & Gilded Drake : I already run this duo in my Roon deck, where they are way more busted than in Silumgar. And I prefer to keep my decks distinct if possible.
- Mass Manipulation : Cool card and one I'd like to try out sometime :). Will see if I can acquire one.
- Commandeer : A card I would love to run, but quite pricey, and I haven't gotten around to acquire it yet.
- Pendant of Prosperity : A lovely trinket to steel back. I will give this card some thought :).
Again, thanks for checking out the deck!
GL & HF,