Creature — Zombie
, , Discard a card: Create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
Tap three untapped Zombies you control: You draw a card and you lose 1 life.
Printings View all
|Arena Cards (ARENA)||Rare|
|Eldritch Moon (EMN)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Cryptbreaker occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
1 day ago
- cut Doomed Dissenter since it can't be recast with your commander, and there are plenty of 2/2 zombies for 2 which can
- cut Festering Mummy because in commander, most creatures will not die with a couple of -1/-1 counters. Consider keeping it if your opponents play lots of mana dorks such as Llanowar Elves
- cut Ghoulraiser, your commander casts a zombie of your choice from the graveyard anyway
- cut Liliana's Steward, targeted discard is bad in commander. You and the targeted opponent lose a card, but your other two opponents don't.
- cut Increasing Ambition, it simply costs too much mana for the effect in my opinion
- cut Sealed Fate, it's pretty bad unless your opponent just used a Worldly Tutor or something
- cut Shamble Back, you don't want to exile your own creatures, and it's a pretty poor form of graveyard hate.
- cut Remove Soul, if you're paying 2 mana for a counterspell, you want it to hit more than just creatures
- cut Spell Snuff, 3 mana counterspells are too expensive
- cut Vile Rebirth for the same reason as Shamble Back
- cut Manalith and Nyx Lotus. When you're in 2 colours, you generally don't want to pay more than 2 mana to ramp. Plus if you ramp on turn 2, you'll have 4 mana on turn 3, allowing you to cast your commander early
- cut Telepathy, it's not worth using a card to see your opponents hand unless you're playing something specific like maybe Sen Triplets.
- For semi-budget 2-colour deck, your mana base looks pretty good. I would just cut Skyline Cascade, having it come in tapped isn't worth it for it's effect in commander. You can probably just play a basic island in its place.
If you want to upgrade your mana base, avoid lands that come in tapped like Dimir Guildgate. A few suggestions would be Command Tower, Choked Estuary, Darkwater Catacombs, Drowned Catacomb, Tainted Isle, Underground River, Watery Grave.
I hope that was helpful! Here's a link to my The Scarab God commander deck which has a pretty similar zombie tribal theme to what you have. Take a look through it and maybe you'll find more cards that I forgot to mention. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!
1 month ago
ok i looked at a deck i have and some cards that might maybe work are:
The Scarab God (good game winner i think)
Cryptbreaker just seems like good value
yes these are definitely not budget
1 month ago
I think Nantuko Husk is a bit too expensive for this even though it can block. The power up it gets isn't permanent as well. If I added another 3 drop in the Mainboard I would go for Lord of the Accursed or Lord of the Undead for extra stats and utility. It's true that not being able to block with one-drops can be risky, but these two are needed for the combo and I'm hoping the Lifelink from Whip of Erebos can off-set some of the damage I take in the early turns. I think Cryptbreaker is nice, and Foulmire Knight has potential as well, but I'm limited to 60 cards. I don't see Stitcher's Supplier as great asset in this deck.
As for White splash, I have a deck that does it. For this one I'm focusing on Mono-Black to be different. I know it has it's drawbacks, but it can still pull it's weight.
Thank you for your suggestions :D
1 month ago
Hey Valengeta, nice job! I like your build and write up.
Here are some suggestions that you may like - first of all, Nantuko Husk is a great way to sac zombies. It’s expensive as compared to the Carrion Feeder, but it can block. I’ve found that not being able to block with 1 drops can be tough. Cryptbreaker and Stitcher's Supplier are options, the former generates zombies for you. Or you could run both Feeder and Husk for extra sac’ing.
Also, this deck could benefit from a splash of white. With 4-8 fetchlands plus a couple of Godless Shrine, plus an Isolated Chapel or two, you can run Tidehollow Sculler, Wayward Servant, and Path to Exile, plus artifact/enchantment hate in the sideboard. Otherwise, you may have a hard time against those match ups :)
1 month ago
I would lower the curve a lot and take out cards that cost more than 4 mana. I would also drop the blue from the deck.
Nice job for your first deck from scratch. It's probably a lot better than mine. +1
1 month ago
Welp, time to switch commanders. Grixis commanders that maybe do the same thing, here I come.
Course it's a gimmick deck anyways, so I'm not too sad. I think the priciest part is Cryptbreaker and I just threw that in 'cos I had it xD
2 months ago
I'd also consider Cabal Stronghold, Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, Cryptbreaker, Stitcher's Supplier (since it's a zombie and helps you find other creatures that you can return from your graveyard), and maybe even Liliana, Untouched By Death for more zombie synergy and Silent Gravestone in your sideboard if you expect people to play Surgical Extraction or Extirpate.
If you would ever consider splashing blue, you also get access to Prized Amalgam and Diregraf Captain. Depending upon how cute you want to get, you could also add Rooftop Storm. You may also want to consider some artifact removal in your sideboard if you expect Grafdigger's Cage in your local meta.
2 months ago
BlackWas: Dreadhorde synergizes with several elements of the deck including Gravecrawler and Cryptbreaker. It also provides lifelink (when the game drags on) which is very relevant in the deck. Altar of the Brood is definitely on my radar as well as Altar of Dementia.