Creature — Vampire Rogue
Whenever you gain life, put a +1/+1 counter on Bloodthirsty Aerialist.
Printings View all
|Core Set 2020 (M20)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Bloodthirsty Aerialist Discussion
1 week ago
It's weird, Optimator but Scion of the Swarm actually doesn't feel like much of an upgrade. It has no Lifelink and costs 5 cmc so it kinda doesn't break the bar for The Goth Mafia at this point on first inspection. Rather have something cheaper that starts smaller. The built in Flying is nice, but Bloodthirsty Aerialist just made it in and is vastly superior e.g. I appreciate the idea though!
2 weeks ago
Ok, heeeeeeereee weeee GO!!
- Conclave Mentor
- Elite Scaleguard
- Zada, Hedron Grinder
- Sprite Dragon
- Viral Drake
- Bloodthirsty Aerialist
- Foundry Inspector
- Radiant, Archangel
- Battle Squadron
- Kabira Vindicator
- Nephalia Smuggler
- Benalish Heralds
- Llanowar Tribe
- Goblin Ringleader
- Callow Jushi / Jaraku the Interloper
- Shanna, Sisay's Legacy
- Twinblade Paladin
- Reverent Hoplite
- Jubilant Mascot
- Mischievous Chimera
2 weeks ago
There are also tons of other cards that get counters when you gain life such as, Sunbond, Light of Promise, Ajani's Pridemate, Wall of Limbs, and Bloodthirsty Aerialist which can all become problems very quickly since its per trigger of life gain.
You could also look into more spells that trigger at the end of turn if you gained a certain amount of life. Resplendent Angel, Regna, the Redeemer, Regal Bloodlord, Angelic Accord, the new Witch of the Moors, and Griffin Aerie.
And then adding more consistent forms of life gain will let you get more triggers therefore making you a bigger threat. Drana's Emissary, Shattered Angel, Soulmender, Nyx-Fleece Ram, Ajani's Mantra, Ajani Goldmane, and Palace Siege.
Finally, I've seen enough people win with Felidar Sovereign not to recommend it to any life gain deck.
3 weeks ago
Have you considered cheaper payoff cards like Speaker of the Heavens over Bloodthirsty Aerialist? Maybe Ranger of Eos or Ranger-Captain of Eos to tutor some of your many 1-cmc creatures. Also I would think going into BW would be for more controlly cards, since im not sure how good Banehound, Blood Scrivener and Bloodthirsty Aerialist are. If you want extra removal, you can add Fatal Push. For extra tokens besides Spectral Procession, theres Lingering Souls. And for more hand control you could add Tidehollow Sculler instead of Thoughtseizes (since you can curve out a turn 1 SS and a turn 2 sculler)
4 weeks ago
If you'd like some inspiration for your list, I have 2 Orzhov lists you can look at that I like. This one is more in tune with what you're looking to do, this other one is more based discouraging the opponent from doing anything by playing cards that make them lose life for interactions. Might be worth checking out!
- Baneslayer Angel (Good in a vacuum, not great for what this list wants to do. A touch too slow.)
- Tymaret, Chosen from Death (Too cute. Functionally he doesn't bring you closer to your Vito win-con, and his ability isn't really what you'd want to be spending mana on to do so.)
- Ill-Gotten Inheritance (I see what you're going for here, but it also feels too cute. It's not bad, just not fantastic either.
- Basri Ket (He's just making bad cards better. He's unnecessary for your Vito win-con.)
- Evolving Wilds (This can easily be swapped for Fabled Passage, does the same thing but can have lands enter untapped.)
- Radiant Fountain (You're not going to be finding this on the draw, and doesn't really help you otherwise. Might as well swap that for another Swamp)
- Scoured Barrens and Temple of Silence (All for these, but for the amount of 1-3 drop creatures you're looking to play, it would seem like you're going to be running into some mana issues. Would absolutely put in some Godless Shrine for this list since you can just heal back the damage it deals anyhow)
- Griffin Aerie (Another cute card. I get what you're going for with it, but I don't know how well it helps you get into your Vito win-con.)
- Light of Hope (Feels a bit niche. Not quite cute, just niche. There's likely better cards than this.)
As a general note, decent cards that make bad cards better aren't the answer. Look at how your win condition is typically met, and find more direct and impactful ways to influence it.
Cards You Got Right
- Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose (Duh)
- Heliod, Sun-Crowned (Definitely works in your favor, just gotta watch out for your devotion.)
- Mangara, the Diplomat (Interesting card, definitely can serve as a nice draw engine against aggro decks)
- Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord (He's great utility, and 100% sets you up to get a bunch of Vito triggers)
- Healer's Hawk (Staple lifegain creature, is super easy to get down and make use out of)
- Heartless Act or Eliminate (Could be a replacement for Mortify, as both are cheaper and have a little more use)
- Fabled Passage (See above for Evolving Wilds)
- Godless Shrine (See above for Scoured Barrens and Temple of Silence)
- Rhox Faithmender (A nice addition to the list, makes the Vito triggers hit even harder)
- Ajani, Strength of the Pride (Nice way to gain life, and he can easily sweep the board if he needs to)
- Ajani's Pridemate and/or Bloodthirsty Aerialist (Plays into that 'Whenever you gain life, put a 1/1 on a creature' thing you seem to like)
1 month ago
You seemingly have a lot of cards that have some lifegain, but don't do much for your plan in the long run, i.e. Light of Hope, Consecrate / Consume and Revitalize. Ajani's Pridemate and Bloodthirsty Aerialist want continuous ways to gain life, which is best achieved with early lifelink creatures such as Alseid of Life's Bounty and Speaker of the Heavens - the last of which also cares about you gaining life.
Luminous Broodmoth is a strong card, but it usually wants sac outlets to really shine and it adds no synergy to the lifegain theme.
Ethereal Absolution is another juicy card, but again, it has no synergy and often times doesn't impact the board enough for a 6-drop.
I get that you want as many lifegain triggers as possible, but playing a ton of lands that enter tapped might make the deck too slow. Having a good mana base and strong synergy between your spells should be sufficient. I'd swap them for shock lands, unless you're running on a budget.
Having an avg. cmc of almost 3.5, you normally want 1-2 more lands for the sake of consistency, or lower the curve.
Honestly, most of the good lifegain cards are in white right now, so using that as a base and "splashing" the other colors in would probably be the way to go.
Hope that helps. Good luck with the deck!
1 month ago
By the unfocused behalf, it's like your deck makes tokens yes, It likes things dying with cruel celebrant yes. But I don't see a focus on like a specific type of token so you can build off of that. Exmaple you generate cats, vampire, and Zombie tokens. That's cool (Btw this themed black and white deck is what I started on when I first started playing magic and one of my favorite archetypes so I hold it very near and dear in my heart.) But I feel as if all these tokens don't achieve much on their own. So why not Switch maybe Death Baron for something like Benalish Marshal So now we don't have to change the token style much but everything even your non-token creatures are getting some love. Harder to cast? Sure, and if that's your argument for not getting it, that's entirely okay!
Next, Magic the gathering has an incredibly large card pool so you'll play and collect for years and still learn about new cards regularly. But why not something like Mentor of the Meek over Inspiring Commander? Yeah you have to invest more but why not have your late game be investing with mentor as a curve rather than doing it suuuuper late in the game with inspiring commander? Yeah, you do lose out of lifegain but I'd say you mostly have plenty.
Lastly, with all this lifegain you do have even assuming you decide to swap out Inspiring Commander with Mentor. I feel as if putting that life gain to use passively is a great way to go about it. A card like Bloodthirsty Aerialist or even Ajani's Pridemate seem like they would be creatures having your opponent's trembling in their boots! (Or grocs) Pair that up with something like Gift of Immortality And even a card I'm fond of so biased like Fountain of Renewal and you may just get a scoop if they already lost to it the first match. To answer your last question yes, I do think God-Eternal Oketra and Anointed Procession Would go a long way in this deck. Double all my tokens I'm spawning with Oketra, Elenda, Leonin, and Open the Graves? Yes Please! Spawn a 4/4 zombie to get buffed by Benalish Marshal and/or Death Baron, for every time I cast a creature spell? Yes please. I mean if you really have to resort to it you can get Oketra to combo off herself. Throw the first one down cast the second causing the first to spawn a token. Kill one off cause of the legendary rule. Now she lets you throw her back in your library to rinse and repeat. Not the best combo no, but a usuable one none the less! Teysa Karlov may interest you? Not a lot of synergy here no, but getting elenda, open the graves, or even cruel celebrant to proc twice across the board sounds like so much fun too me. That and the juicy token buff from her, AWESOME, My discord if you ever need to get in touch is Skylee#0240. I'd love to help more with this or any other deck.
1 month ago
You could consider playing a single copy of Sanctum of Stone Fangs just to get more triggers on your Savage Gorger and Bloodthirsty Aerialist, sometimes it could even be the extra damage needed to trigger Knight of the Ebon Legion too.
I don't think Heraldic Banner helps you much compared to just running 2 more Thirsting Bloodlord instead since you're not really ramping into anything that cost 5+ anyway, and you already have a lot of 3 drops.
A card like Underworld Dreams would usually work better in a more controlling deck, unless you make use of the devotion to hit harder with Gray Merchant of Asphodel or something like that. I would remove those 2 and play 1 more Erebos's Intervention and Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord instead. Those cards are too useful to be singletons.
I always find it pretty courageous when I see people run so few lands, I would need a really good reason to go under 22 lands in general. Speaking of lands, you might as well add a few Castle Locthwain in there.
Hopefully these suggestions are useful. Cheers!