|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Coldsnap Theme Deck||Common|
|Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari||Common|
|Masters Edition II||Common|
|Beatdown Box Set||Common|
Combos Browse all
Draw three cards, then put two cards from your hand on top of your library in any order.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (22)||CampbellStev , Wiggins , Regulus1010 , pskinn01 , tragic_slip , cryptoplasm , awalloftext , AtomicEmpire , rockleemyhero , , TheRealPeaches , ibraJG84 , DudeMan1031 , DrLitebur , DruneGrey , bigc137 , Mousemke , xpsychovampx , SirFabius , acbooster , Spinalripper , LTmiller|
|Want (2)||Turtlelover73 , TheRealPeaches|
7 hours ago
Looks like it's definitely unique, but yes, there are some cards you do need to change.
Creatures: Looks decent. I'd add Vendilion Clique or True-Name Nemesis, but not sure what to take out. Deathrite Shaman is a Legacy must, so add it if you can. Also, a one of Emrakul, the Promised End, or just another big boy creature, would be pretty sweet.
Instants: The place that need the most help. Intuition, Tolarian Winds and Thought Scour are not what you want to do. You need a four of Brainstorm. Daze, Force of Will, Spell Pierce and Counterspell are all things that are pretty necessary. Of those, Daze is probably the worst, and more for a tempo based strategy. I'd also move down a copy of Spell Snare.
Enchantments: Seance is kinda alright. Too much mana, to be honest.
Lands: Adding a land or two would help too, especially a fetchland. It assists your Brainstorm and Threshold.
Hope that helps, at least a bit.
12 hours ago
I am not 100% sure if you are asking for this but here is my GW goodstuff selvala deck if you look closely you can see the main idea of a good stuff deck in general.
Good stuff is not just "play good cards" because no one is going to play bad cards. Good stuff decks are decks where all of the cards in it have a purpose and are useful in most situations not just fringe ones. For example, I am in GW so I cannot tutor for spells so a lot of my deck are utility creatures because I CAN tutor for them. Creatures that protect me and my board ( Avacyn, Angel of Hope , Dragonlord Dromoka, Hushwing Gryff , and Sigarda, Host of Herons ) creatures that blow things up ( Acidic Slime , terrastodon , Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite and Duplicant ) you get the point.
Likewise here is my abzan value deck this deck is not at all tested but I think it has a similar idea that you want. Its just a fair deck that kills everything and then grinds out a fair win condition like a planeswalker or big creature.
Looking at what your deck has now lets look at things that are good value cards and just good cards. Sepulchral Primordial is a good value card its something that will give you multiple creatures for one. However something like Reaper of the Wilds is just a decent card that doesnt really do much but protect itself. Sheoldred, Whispering One is a good card that will grind out value but what does Coiling Oracle really do in your deck? Draw a card maybe? seems kind of lack luster
Here is my suggestion on what to cut : Baleful Strix Brainstorm (its not good unless you have quite a few fetchlands) Golgari Charm Abrupt Decay (replace it with Krosan Grip ) Lim-Dul's Vault Trading Post (I have never hated a card so much in my life) Bloodchief Ascension Archaeomancer (your commander basically does this idk just doesnt seem worth it) and Coiling Oracle
I cannot suggest too many cards because these are not my colors of expertise but hopefully this helped a little.
21 hours ago
1) Run more than 16 lands. Not even Merfolk can properly function on 16 lands. And don't just use basics. Oboro, Palace in the Clouds, Mutavault, and Cavern of Souls fit great in a Merfolk build, and Wanderwine Hub, in addition to entering untapped for two colors, can reveal a threat from your hand that your opponent may need to play around.
3) Don't play black in a Merfolk build. If you're absolutely set on using another color, I personally would recommend white for Path to Exile, Mana Tithe, and Brave the Elements. White would also get the most value out of Wanderwine Hub. But, if you insist on using black, the spells you've chosen aren't going to cut it in modern. Dead Weight won't kill Tarmogoyfs, Hero's Downfall is way too expensive, and Appetite for Brains misses 99% of the relevant threats. In modern, the magic number is 3. That's where most of the curves top out. Thus, Appetite misses everything at or below the magic number. Personally, if I had to use black in a Merfolk build, I'd be running Dismember, Inquisition of Kozilek, maybe a couple Thoughtseize, and Fatal Push. I'd also run one or two Gut Shots for insurance, but that's just me. Of course, this all assumes that you play another color in your deck. If it were me, I'd stay mono-blue.
4) Aether Vial. Perfect card for this deck. Put it on two and keep pumping out creatures.
5) Merfolk Sovereign doesn't do enough work in this deck. It's 3 mana for the same effect as the two-mana lords (Master of the Pearl Trident and Lord of Atlantis), and its second ability is useless. Run Master of Waves or Harbinger of the Tides instead.
6) Cursecatcher. This is your one-drop. It kicks ass in this format.
7) I'd suggest maybe running some amount of Vapor Snags mainboard. It's really effective.
8) Hurkyl's Recall is a great sideboard option against Affinity. Ghost Quarter and Tectonic Edge shut down Tron. Gut Shot is great against a lot of faster decks. Tidebinder Mage is great against Burn and anything with Tarmogoyf. Spell Pierce for removal-heavy decks and Relic of Progenitus hoses graveyard shenanigans. Ceremonious Rejection for Tron and Affinity. Unsubstantiate and Flashfreeze if the matchup demands it. Unified Will, Echoing Truth, and Sea's Claim are all viable sideboard options as well.
9) I'd suggest you consult my list as well as the MTGSalvation primer for Merfolk
3 days ago
wouldn't know how well this runs as I generally don't play blue. My brother does though and he likes to always run Teferi, Temporal Archmage for the untap four permanents ability. Blue also offers some ways of untapping your land(nykthos loves these) in Rewind(which you already included), Peregrine Drake, and Great Whale. With mana rocks, you can play a commander bomb in Paradox Engine. it allows storming off your entire hand potentially so I would include somewhere some "wheel" cards where you draw lots of cards like Windfall, Brainstorm, Stroke of Genius, Flux, and Prosperity. Can always get your commander through for damage with Prowler's Helm. Your commander would get incredibly big if you included some stuff to make you have no maximum hand size like Venser's Journal, Reliquary Tower, Spellbook, and Thought Vessel. good start on the deck. +1'ed!
3 days ago
The mistake is trying to treat the modern miracles like legacy miracles. Counterbalance is strictly worse due to the lack of Brainstorm and Sensei's Divining Top and as such I believe it deserves the ultimate cut for more mainstream counters (or whatever replacement seems fit). The modern version will have to be its own, and the toying for that will take time. However, that said, I am quite enjoying the idea of Prairie Stream over Hallowed Fountain as the deck is so basic heavy anyway. I hope the other non shock versions like this come out soon to supplement the list
6 days ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!
6 days ago
This deck looks awesome! I would suggest adding Isochron Scepter, being able to cast Counterspell or Brainstorm every turn can be really powerful. Also Bident of Thassa or similar cards can draw you alot of cards when you've built up a small drake army.
1 week ago
Yeah I'm sorry, I really love From The Vault's Angels. :( You're right, they are not really fitting.
Do you think my Grixis deck is better ? I played this deck exclusively for a full year now and wanted some change; that's why I went this Miracle deck.
Thanks again for your attention !! Your help is much appreciate