Choose a creature type. Destroy all creatures that are not the chosen type.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Kindred Dominance Discussion
2 weeks ago
Avg CMC 3.32 - You need more lands
I would cut two creatures for two more lands. Ideally even creature based decks don't want more than 30 creatures.
Why is Conspiracy in the deck if it only affects 2 creatures?
You have a lot of really good Instant speed removal, so why the Flame Slash?
I would only run Act of Treason if I had a good amount of sac outlets, which I don't see.
Lastly, its a black EDH deck WITH NO BOARD WIPES. NANI!?!?
Obviously Damnation is the best, but theirs so many options
Your best bet is Kindred Dominance but there's also
And a shit ton I cant remember. There's NEVER too many board wipes in a deck.
3 weeks ago
You should add Kindred Dominance as a boardwipe because even if you don't have your commander out it will kill everyone else's creatures but not yours
3 weeks ago
Ok, are you playing in MTGO or paper? Either way, here are the cards I might take out, either because they are too slow, or they are better in multiplayer (or they are just bad). Dark Salvation, Prized Amalgam, Noxious Ghoul, Liliana's Reaver, Army of the Damned, Crux of Fate, Vanquisher's Banner, Noosegraf Mob, Vindictive Lich, Dread Summons, Endless Ranks of Dead, Altar of Dementia, Sol Ring, Undead Alchemist, Kindred Dominance, Geralf's Messenger, Never / Return, Call to the Grave Grimgrin, Corpse-Born. You could definitely take out others as you play the deck.
Here are some good cards that would be good to have, but not all will make the cut. Rings of Brighthearth, Basalt Monolith, Talisman of Dominance, Arcane Denial, Counterspell, Lim-Dul's Vault, Swan Song, Pact of Negation, Snapcaster Mage, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip, Toxic Deluge, Damnation, Leyline of Anticipation, Vedalken Orrery, Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir, Thought Vessel, Glen Elendra Archmage, Commander's Sphere, Solemn Simulacrum, Gilded Lotus, Cyclonic Rift, Overwhelming Denial, Search for Azcanta Flip, Forbid, Bloodchief Ascension, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Underground Sea, Sunken Ruins, Cavern of Souls, Ancient Tomb.
I'm sure there are many other cards that would be great in the optimized version of this deck, but these are the ones I can think of right now. Also, I am not extremely familiar with the current meta of MTGO(?) 1v1 commander, so there may be cards that are good because of the meta. You will want to do some research and you will definitely make changes as you play. Have Fun!
3 weeks ago
Thanks for posting this comment; you reminded me to update my primer! I've actually removed Kindred Dominance from my list and replaced it with Austere Command. I've been testing tons of different alternatives for Kindred Dominance for the past month and Austere Command just because of how flexible it is.
Harsh Mercy is definitely a great alternative for Kindred Dominance, however there are too many tribal decks in my meta to make it worthwhile.
1 month ago
As for what is shaman tribal about is, the thing to understand is that shamans are a strange but versatile tribe. With something like goblins you know what you're getting into: attack with a bunch of little guys and overwhelm them. With the exception of lorwyn block, shamans never got much time in the spotlight and are instead scattered throughout magics history filling in whatever gaps needed filling. The end result is that if you need a creature that does something unique, you are significantly more likely to find it on a shaman than on a goblin.
I'm not saying all the weird shamans out there are good, but that you have a much wider range to choose from. If it was a direction you wanted to move in, you could theoretically make it a toolbox deck, or a deck that can tutor up the right card to fit the needs of the board state like Fauna Shaman. Not saying that is what you necessarily should do but that it is an option.
ETB and sac effects aren't a bad option as either as many care about death or have an enter the battlefield effect but because there are so many shamans, you could go for many other directions like Paradox Engine/ Illusionist's Bracers/ Rings of Brighthearth etc to take advantage of activated abilities depending on which subsection of shamans you wanted to include. Both versions would likely play a lot of shamans and there would likely be some overlap, but the decks would take advantage of different aspects of the tribe. Shamans are undefined which lets you go in whichever direction you want to.
If you are looking for something that rewards heavily for for playing a large amount of shamans, since there are no lords, you have to get creative and use things like Adaptive Automaton, Metallic Mimic, Obelisk of Urd, Kindred Charge, Kindred Dominance, Kindred Summons, Herald's Horn etc that reward you for playing lots of shamans.
If you're feeling overwhelmed it might help if you pick a subtheme that most shamans care about such as sacrifice and prioritize shamans that interact with that theme. You could then throw in cards that might not be shaman tribal per say but interact with the subtheme like vicious shadows. Doing this would carve out a more well defined space for the deck and would probably make it easier for you to identify what of the tribe you want to run.
The biggest take away is that because shamans aren't as defined as goblins, you have a lot more room to move around in design at the cost of having less specific rewards for doing so. I ran into the same issue when I made an illusion tribal deck with Meloku the Clouded Mirror at the helm. There's only 2 or so cards that care about illusions so i had to get a bit more creative.
1 month ago
1 month ago
Hi these are in my opinion some bad card choices for your deck.
- Library of Leng it's just simply a worse option than Reliquary Tower or Thought Vessel.
- Ghirapur Orrery you shouldn't use this having green. You can just use Exploration for the additional land drops, its way cheaper to cast and only benefits yourself. You wont use the second ability of the orrery because you will draw a lot of cards from Gitrog (that's why you made it your commander) so you're just helping your oponents. There are also many creatures that allow you to play additional lands.
- Dark Heart of the Wood You can only sacrifice Forests and the 3 lifes doesn't seem to be worth it.
- Rites of Flourishing Once againg helping others more that yourself. You'll already be drawing more cards that your oponents and there are better ways to put lands on the battlefield.
- Overwhelming Stampede awesome card but feels it's on the wrong deck, you dont have many creatures, you won't be drawing it together with Avenger of Zendikar
- Decree of Pain and In Garruk's Wake two super high cost board wipes, you may not be able to cast them when you need a board wipe. There are many low cost budget options Bontu's Last Reckoning, Deadly Tempest, Life's Finale or Deathbringer Regent to name a few. Or you can have one tailored to Gitrog with Kindred Dominance there wont be many Horrors and Frogs on the Battlefield so you can be pretty sure it will destroy everything but Gitrog.
- Artisan's Sorrow A bit expensive for a Naturalize with Scry 2. I kinda like better for the same CMC those that give you a card Mystic Melting, Slice in Twain and Rending Vines (lower CMC, but a bit conditional). The most popular version of naturalize for EDH players is Krosan Grip but there are many options for you to explore.
- Grisly Spectacle a weak card in my opinion, milling your opponent a few cards is futile unless your game is milling them to death but if you are running it I gues it's because you dont have anything better. You have many options in black for removal, my favorite is Silence the Believers
- Ayumi, the Last Visitor If you are running this it's because your meta has a lot of legendary lands, even so it may be better for you to get some flyers, this card won't kill your oponent fast enough.
- Liege of the Tangle high cost slow and pray your oponents don't have a boar wipe in their hands once you turn your lands into creatures after you attack.
- Penumbra Spider I suppose flyers give you a hard time and that is why you run this. It gives you two blocks (as it will most likely die on each block) without really solving your problem. Deadly Recluse will keep more scary flyers away than you can countb (nobody wants to waste a perfectly good dragon on a CMC 2 common spider), Silklash Spider has a decent toughness and can hurricane those pesky flyers, Ishkanah, Grafwidow will put three extra bodies with Reach on the Battlefield or maybe what you need is a Whirlwind.
- Phage the Untouchable lovely card with lots of charisma but you can't give her Haste and Hexproof/Shroud with Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves she may be useless. You only have the Key to the City and Rogue's Passage to get her through the enemy lines. I hope she never gets flicked because you would lose the game.
You can check my own The Gitrog Monster deck Deadly Gitrog that capitalizes on Deathtouch (Gitrog's and many other deathtouchers in the deck) and has a lot of recursion to get some ideas. It works amazingly in my group. Many cards in your deck are also in mine.