|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology Vol. II (CM2)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Draw cards equal to the number of cards in your hand, then discard a card for each card drawn this way.
Basic landcycling (, Discard this card: Search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (11)||ZombieFood , frederiklw , bakunet , Supremespeed , WunderlichDrums , killstars , Reliva , MattN7498 , DFDGamer , bpiser95 , rockleemyhero|
|Want (21)||Nerubian , FF42 , Lythia , kvfd1719 , AlphaSp , rco , OldSchoolFun , darbodeluxe , MrWhiskers , starkzero , coadster , BringerOfStorms , Killer_Tofu , mango_channel , ostiarius , zn.tportlock , kovellen , SatansAfro , RhobearST , Jokulmorder1 , fumatto|
Ancient Excavation Discussion
1 month ago
cutting athreos and thassa for lands would be an easy way to make this deck stronger
also elixir of immortality is usually worse than just playing another card that fills your graveyard
3 months ago
I love Kess, she is hands down my favorite control deck I have built. Kess Spellslinger if you want ideas or to check mine out. My main win con is torment of hailfure that is copied. Its amazing and consistent. One card I would recommend for draw though isAncient Excavation. The fact that I draw 10 cards off this sometimes and just discard land, junk, or spells for later in the yard this cards fantastic I would never play without it for Kess.
4 months ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
dellam00tz on Atraxa
4 months ago
Remove: Abzan Falconer, Deepglow Skate, Tuskguard Captain, Cathars' Crusade, As Foretold, Bring to Light(maybe), Ancient Excavation, Unexpected Results(maybe), Fellwar Stone, Tangle Angler, Grim Affliction, Virulent Wound(maybe).
Include: Thassa, God of the Sea, Viral Drake, Power Matrix, Prowler's Helm, Trailblazer's Boots, Invigorate, Might of Oaks, Stonewood Invocation, Rancor, Tainted Strike, Vines of Vastwood, Might of Old Krosa.
6 months ago
Ancient Excavation and Grave Upheaval are good because of the landcycling. Early game you pitch it to hit your land drops, and then when you need to use either you get it with kess later. Demonic Collusion and Capsize do well with kess since you can just buyback instead of exile. Increasing Ambition and Increasing Vengeance can get their flashback bonus for cheaper with kess. A couple of alternate ways to return spells might be nice, but Snapcaster Mage and Torrential Gearhulk can be pricey, so Archaeomancer and Mnemonic Wall would be some okay alternatives.
7 months ago
Dralnu seems really risky to run as a commander. One Blasphemous Act and you're pretty much out of the game.
So let's protect him!
Further, I think the deck could use a greater mass of instants and sorceries. Maybe up it from 25% of the deck to 33%, cutting some creatures and enchantments.
Good luck! +1 for risky commanders!
7 months ago
8 months ago
If you can spring for it, replacing tri slow lands for the lands that etb and you pay 2 life like Sacred Foundry will work better for your check lands like Dragonskull Summit and really great for Choked Estuary. Cycle lands are just okay. Try to get the ones that cycle for 1 colored mana.