|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masterpiece Series: Amonkhet Invocations (AKHMPS)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Whenever an opponent plays a spell, you may reveal the top card of your library. If you do, counter that spell if it has the same converted mana cost as the revealed card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
5 hours ago
4 days ago
Yo buddio, let's have a look shall we:
- Gitaxian Probe - What're you hoping to actually achieve with it? Storm decks run it as a free draw w/ doomsday, free spell that cantrips whilst generating info about what the control players are up to, why this over something like Opt for you - or something higher impact? I just don't see where this fits into your overall strategy. I'd rather run Telepathy over this and I'm not a Telepathy fan. I'd just want something higher impact.
- Spell Pierce - Sure, meta call - totally fine.
- Prismatic Lens - Yeah, filtering for coloured mana when you're going off w/ Paradox is hella good in certain scenarios. Fine inclusion.
- Sphere of Resistance - Personally hate Sphere, we run a pseudo turbo xerox gameplan, a lot of cheap cantrips and mana rocks, Sphere is super bad for these, great if your meta is all fast combo and food chain though. Decent silver bullet.
- Reshape is fine. You're gonna love Transmute when you get it. Paradox all day erry day.
- Whir of Invention - Yeah fine. Pretty 'okay' feeling card when I've played it; very infrequently been impressed by it, but always at least decent.
- Blue Sun's Zenith - I mean, I guess. Rev is really good w/ lifegain and the double GAA4 benefit. Honestly don't see the 'can function as a win condition' as much as a pro considering how the deck currently operates.
- Thirst for Knowledge Yeah, I used to run it myself, Manifold is getting cut actually too actually.
- Glen Elendra Archmage u wot m9? Nah. I'm not down with this. I'd suggest introducing a Counterbalance package if you want repeatable countermagic. 6 mana for double negate is super clunky. Bad! Stop!
- Consecrated Sphinx - Yup. Top banana that card, in the right matchup. Sometimes a man just needs haymakers.
Overall a fine list, but yeah, not liking 1, 7, 9 and iffy on 4. I'd also suggest another piece of spot removal if you're dropping wrath. Reality Shift is tutorable with Muddle, Merchant Scroll and functions as a Paradox/Scepter wincon by exiling people's entire libraries (providing they have at least one valid target).
3 weeks ago
Looks like a neat take on Ephara! However, there a few cards that stand out to me as out of place. Westvale Abbey Flip can't be played because its back side is black. Counterbalance seems a bit weird with no topdeck manipulation. Knight Exemplar has only 4 other knights to buff. I'm not really a fan of auras in EDH, and even though flashing in Spirit Mantle to save a creature might be cute, I'm not sure if it's good enough to make the cut.
The deck feels a bit lacking in the ramp department. Solemn Simulacrum and Knight of the White Orchid fill this role while also supporting the etb subtheme. Azorius Signet and Coldsteel Heart are some other good mana rocks to consider.
Finally, some other cards that go very well with Ephara. Deputy of Acquittals and Voidmage Husher are some other humans that help you get more etb triggers. Stonecloaker and Whitemane Lion, while not humans, are extremely powerful with Ephara, letting you draw every turn if you have enough mana. Faerie Artisans gives you lots of etb triggers, and also the etb/ltb effects of all the creatures you copy. In addition, you can flicker it to keep whatever token you currently control. Finally, Silumgar Sorcerer is a counterspell that triggers Ephara, and is even a human.
Hope this helps!
4 weeks ago
When I say unique I mean things off the beaten path, things that use a commander in a way most people wouldn't expect. I have several control players in my meta, and would like to either (A) give them a taste of their own medicine. For example, I am currently considering the cruelest of control decks, Zur the Enchanter with Counterbalance, or (B) design a deck that can fight through counterspells. I like combo and prison-style decks.
1 month ago
Well, not including the many counterspells in blue like Counterbalance, you could add City of Solitude/Dosan the Falling Leaf or Defense Grid, depending what type you're after. Just thoughts to mull over.
1 month ago
LabManiac_Cameron- First off love the deck. I really like the different lines of play that are available that also use very differnt methods so that you can just be hosed by graveyard removal or counter magic. I am curious about how well Counterbalance is working out? if the average cmc of decks you are against were to be a bit more scattered would you still run Counterbalance? If not what would you run in its place?How well does Manifold Insights work out on average?
Thank you for the back and forth I have had a hard time figuring out what else to do with my deck for a while now.
1 month ago
Looks interesting. Maybe you could add some additional cards (next to your commander) that ensure cards are kept in hands like Grand Abolisher, Ethersworn Canonist or Rule of Law. For some additional disruption/stealing, I'd add Memnarch; especially because he synergizes so well with Mycosynth Lattice.
Hope any of this helps. If it did and you'd like me to check out other decks, send me a message. Also, I always appreciate feedback on one of my own decks, so don't be shy and check one out!
2 months ago
Against what popular deck, do you fear giving basic lands would create problems?
I have hard time coming up with modern decks that get out of hand, by getting 1 more land - maybe scapeshift, or ponza could have use for an extra basic, or forest belcher. But these decks are rarely played.
Most decks in modern don't need more than 4 lands to be perfectly functional.
Aggressive lists don't have much use for them, graveyard strategies don't have use for them, tron doesn't get much out of tutoring out an extra forest.
On the upside its the best removal one can get. If it hits something that card won't come up again. Neither from the game, nor from the library - which is a pretty plausible event with a control deck that shuffles threats back into the opponent's library, while it has to draw 1 of 3 cards to win the game.
Going through half of your library before finding your 1st Entreat the Angels is a pretty realistic possibility. At the same time the opponent is also digging through their library, fetching out all of his/her lands, and there are good chances that he/she will draw into the reshuffled threat.
(And Path to Exile + Snapcaster Mage can be done on turn 3, while Banishing Stroke + Snapcaster Mage can't happen before turn 8.....)
Regarding Nissa, Steward of Elements & Crystal Ball:
Nissa, Steward of Elements is a planeswalker, hence:
+ She has 3 abilities, only 1 of which is scrying - but i have hard time seeing how anything short of ultimating her twice would produce results (outside being a pretty nice scry engine)
- She can be attacked by creatures, thus the wast majority of the format has maindeck answers to her.
- She can only scry at sorcery speed, making Counterbalance impotent.
Crystal Ball is an artifact, thus:
+ Its ability can be used at instant speed, allowing you to scry to counter with Counterbalance
+ If you use it during upkeep you can draw the second card from your library leaving the correct cmc card on top.
+ Its good in multiples
- Its activation costs
- Nearly every modern deck pack artifact removal (luckily they are 1 or 2 cmc, thus the assembled Counterbalance + Crystal Ball has good chances of defending itself)
And Counterbalance is good, even if it can't counter EVERYTHING, only countering a large part of the opponents deck is pretty good (from a single card on the field). There is nothing stopping you from playing normal counters to prevent stuff that goes past the pesky enchantment. However Tron will be a problem - but i don't know a lot of other decks that have so warped mana curves.
I am baffled by some of your card choices, don't take this as an attack, i am really curious about the "why".
So what are your plans with those 8 creatures, Temporal Masterys, & Reclaims?
Do you plan to use Azorius Charm as removal?