|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Artifact — Equipment
When Dowsing Dagger enters the battlefield, target opponent creates two 0/2 green Plant creature tokens with defender.
Equipped creature gets +2/+1.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you may transform Dowsing Dagger.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (20)||ecurps , Pyre_Vulpine96 , Wolfebladeelite , jwitzleben , , Spinalripper , SketchyScribbler , PembrokeWelshCorgi , Aquacomics , duff87 , Big-Foot , LeroyJones , AlucardZain , philktoken8998 , MattN7498 , KillDatBUG , jstn.mrrtt , firemind12 , silvereh , gildan_bladeborn|
|Want (2)||Psycheretic , vashaclarens|
Dowsing Dagger Discussion
Hissp on Godo Combo
13 hours ago
Thanks for the feedback, artichoker. I'm running Dowsing Dagger as my equipment that generates mana. I wrote more about that specific choice in the long comment above. The Neheb, the Eternal trigger doesn't work if you have to cast one of the combo pieces in the post-combat main phase. If I'm stuck with a combo piece in hand I usually tutor up some combination including Hammer of Nazahn+Argentum Armor+Swiftfoot Boots to knock out the most threatening player / protect Godo until the next turn.
Additionally, I mulligan fairly aggressively and rarely keep starting hards containing combo pieces. I'm usually able to cast Godo on turn 2 or 3, unless I'm slamming down an early Blood Moon.
The deck is still very new though; more live play-resting may yield that Sword of Feast and Famine is in fact the better choice :D
16 hours ago
I'm glad you liked my suggestions. I have a Omnath deck of my own (haven't uploaded it yet) where I have those cards but I'm reforming it because I can't make it work (that's why I was checking your deck), Omnath is expensive and it takes forever to star rolling even having tons of ramp. For me the problen is the deck being to heavy to move and passing the first turns doing nothing but taking lands out of the library and when I finally get to cast Omnath they kill it and now you have to get to 9 mana. Also I have big problems with flyers, I like your choices of Ulvenwald Hydra, Tornado Elemental and Cloudthresher, I was planning to run them myself.
Keep in mind that every meta is different, what works for me, won't necessarily work in your meta. From your deck I'd cut:
- Apocalypse Hydra I'd cut it because it only synergize with the Elemental Mastery otherwise is another expensive underperforming fatty, you can put the elemental mastery on any of your power 5 creatures and get a good value out of it.
- Golden Guardian Flip from among all the fliplands in IXL and RIX that's probably the one I like the least, you need mana to play and flip it and you also need a big creature of your own to kill it in a fight, when you flip it you create tokens that don't synergize with the deck so I don't really see the point of it in this deck. If you have it because it produces two mana IMO Dowsing Dagger Flip for a total of mana, you can flip it the same turn you play it and you can give the tokens to a player and attack another, on top of that the land produces 3, it's basically a cheaper situational Gilded Lotus
- Frontier Guide to ramp a single land feels awfuly slow and inefficient, I'd rather play any of the CMC4 ramp sorceries.
- Incandescent Soulstoke I don't think you can really win or deal serious damage by cheating a fatty for a turn and then losing it. Best thing you could throw at him is Molimo that depends on your lands, so in early game it's small in late game you can just cast it. The overal number of elementals in the deck is low. maybe something like Elvish Piper, Deathrender, Quicksilver Amulet or Champion of Rhonas instead?
- Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer It's big and it has trample, but CMC7 is too high but I don't think it earns his slot without cheating it onto the battlefield.
- Rubblehulk a cheap molimo without trample and Bloodrush which I guess not playing double strike you won't use that often
- Spawnwrithe if there was a good plan to make this guy and his copies deal combat damage to an opponet I would love it, but he will be lucky if he manages to do it once on his own.
- Mask of Avacyn unless you are protecting a low toughness guy Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves are better at protecting your guys. You can also use Steely Resolve to protect them all at the same time, but haste is king.
- Seer's Lantern This card is terribly weak. You are already ramping like a mad man and if you want artifacts Worn Powerstone, Thran Dynamo and Sol Ring are better mana boost. For utility you can try Conqueror's Galleon Flip (check if you can have combined power of 4 or greater the turn after consistently before including it).
- Whispersilk Cloak this card is way too subtle, you want to combo off and crush your opponents with your 5/5 elementals or you are going 4th of July and throw sparks everywhere. If you just want protection the boots or the greaves are better cards.
- Animist's Awakening you start the game with 40 lands in a 99 card deck which mean that at best you can only expect to find one land for every mana you spend on the . I say at best because you have many ramp spells that take lands from the library lowering your chances with this spell. Try instead Boundless Realms maybe you want to include more basic lands
- By Force Not a bad card but you may want to swap it for Vandalblast or Into the Core if there are indestructible artifacts in your meta.
- Clear the Land aren't there any more decent ramp spels with CMC3? find one that at leas don't give lands to your opponents Realms Uncharted don't ramp you but it will put lands in hand and graveyad, and not just basics.
- Creeping Renaissance I want to like this card, but every time I tryed it, it underperformed. In this deck you have few permanents of a single type except for lands and you don't dredge yourself to put stuff in your graveyard. You do have a lot of lands, but to get those lands better use Splendid Reclamation, World Shaper, Ramunap Excavator or Life from the Loam. For a big, more flexible recursion spell I like Seasons Past
- Growth Spasm replace for Kodama's Reach, or Cultivate. they are commander staples for a reason.
- Mizzium Mortars replace for Blasphemous Act kills your creatures but you can be sure that it will kill almost everything and with discount
- Pirate's Pillage allows you to cast Omnath on your 5th land but still i'd swap it for Harmonize another green EDH staple.
- Primal Growth good card but you won't have disposable creatures on your early game and as a late game card is weak. As I told you before Kodama's Reach, or Cultivate (whichever you didnt used before).
- Search for Tomorrow another good card that will perform better in other decks that really need to get to four mana ASAP, IMO some beefy ramp spell would be better for Omnath. Another one I like in this deck is Khalni Heart Expedition
- Evolutionary Leap swap for Ashnod's Altar, you want your sac outlets to be activated without mana and without tapping. Your opponents will probably start worrying as soon as the see this card as it is often used for infinite combos.
- Fires of Yavimaya for Anger. Mainly because you can cast it and put it on the battlefield to block in the early game and later you get the haste bonus. other good options for this end in this deck Ogre Battledriver and In the Web of War, same effect different formats.
- Rite of the Raging Storm I ended up removing this enchantment from the deck because it is slow and don't help me with my defense, it's for more aggressive decks. The elemental that pops and sacrifices is nice when you have the commander, but It doesent justify the 5 manas.
What I'm still missing in the deck.
- Buffs to your creatures Beastmaster Ascension, Forgotten Ancient
- Rampaging Baloths not elemental but those 4/4 bodies will prove useful later to get us some cards and defense
- More recursion Greenwarden of Murasa is a solid creature. The second much worse option is Paleoloth I've tried before in other decks but maybe it can be good with Omnath's tokens.
- Spitebellows Perfect in this deck
- Decimate simply an orgasm every time you cast it. The catch of this card is that you need to be able to target a different permanent of each type, but that is not a problem in multyplayer
- More defense from flyers, I run this funny card Chaosphere, some other cards I'm considering are Spidersilk Armor, Katabatic Winds, Silklash Spider, Sandwurm Convergence.
- Scour from Existence because with red and green you will have trouble with high toughness creatures and/or indestructibles. I'ts a high mana instant but it will resolve any problem you have
- Parallel Lives Because at the end of the day it is a token deck
- Traverse the Outlands a kick ass ramp spell if you manage to ramp four lands or more.
- Heroic Intervention the ultimate shielding card.
- Mana multiplication Mana Reflection, Zendikar Resurgent, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger this one is a bit to hard top lay if you don't cheat it into the battlefield. The low cost option has the problem of helping your opponents too Keeper of Progenitus
- Much more card draw Drumhunter, Mouth / Feed, Shamanic Revelation, Garruk's Packleader.
- Synergy with instant/sorceris Young Pyromancer, Primal Amulet Flip?
- Wayward Swordtooth?
For me the problem with this deck is you need to so many card slots and turns ramping that you don't do much more. It is quite spectacular when you manage to combo off, but it feels a bit like a one trick pony. so that is why I'm tinkering with my Omnath deck trying to find balance for my meta.
Good luck with your deck, I hope I have been of some help.
Hissp on Godo Combo
1 day ago
sonnet666 Thanks for looking at the deck and providing feedback!! I updated the description to explain the mana used to assemble the infinite combo. Responses to the rest of your feedback are as follows:
Nim Deathmantle gives intimidate. It's unlikely that all 3 opponents will have an artifact/black creature with which to block, so 14 damage (and thus 14 mana) can be fairly safely assumed on the combo turn barring creature/artifact removal or stax disruption.
Nim Deathmantles color-changing and type-changing effects override the equipped creatures previous colors and creature types. After Nim Deathmantle becomes equipped to a creature, that creature will be a black Zombie, not any other colors or creature types. Skirk Prospector cannot sac non-goblin zombies. Thermopod is too difficult to tutor with Heirloom Blade.
Argentum Armor comes down AND attaches itself to Godo for FREE. It can destroy 2 permanents per turn, which is a great plan B if stax pieces are hosing the Kiki combo, especially for extra turn wins. Please give additional feedback on why this shouldn't be included.
Dowsing Dagger 's primary purpose is to provide mana to cast Last Chance if we've tapped out to equip Blade of Selves. Sometimes we won't have the 2 mountains needed for Sword of Feast and Famine. Aggravated Assault does provide great synergy, but it's also very obviously threatening, hard to cast before Godo if we're running rituals, and hard to activate without Dowsing Dagger before turn 5. Dowsing Dagger can also be attached to smaller creatures to provide ramp. This deck needs 6 or 8 mana or more at once, not 4 mana in both main phases.
I'm open to swapping out Pyrokinesis, but it hits all the stax creatures we need for 0 mana, and surprises LabMan combos with a loss when we're tapped out. "Do you ever see it in cEDH" isn't the best argument for tuning a mono-red deck that's actively burning cards for gas.
Possibility Storm is in the Ruric Thar, the Unbowed deck on your list. While I understand it synergizes with Thar's ability, it doesn't affect our game plan in the slightest and creates a mess for most other decks. Do you think it's not powerful enough to warrant playing? I'm open to swapping it out, but it seems as debilitating as landing Blood Moon.
Winds of Change and Widespread Panic are in the deck to shuffle equipment back into our library where we want it. The deck goes off a turn or two slower if it ends up drawing Nim Deathmantle or any of the other combo piece of equipment we need. Winds of Change is in the Purphoros, God of the Forge deck on your list, which is the highest tier a mono-red deck is listed in. Widespread Panic is a flex spot, so I'd be open to cutting it if it underperforms, but it hoses top-deck tutors and generally punishes fetch-lands and tutoring in general. By the time we're tutoring with Godo we shouldn't need cards in hand.
Aven Mindcensor makes our deck useless. Abrade kills that. It kills opponents' creatures about to win them the game. It's in a lot of top tier decks. It fires at instant speed. It seems like the best artifact removal we can run.
Mogg Salvage is a flex spot. It's is in the deck because it can remove a stax piece for free on the combo turn (when we need gas) and occasionally ruin someone else's combo when we're tapped out. I could be swapped out.
Thorn of Amethyst could be cut. It's main purpose is to fight Counterspells and to slow people down.
I'll have to test rituals vs. rocks. Right now I'm embracing this list as a glass-canon, similar to Sidisi, Undead Vizier. Aggressive mulligans often lead casting Godo, Possibility Storm, Blood Moon, or Magus of the Moon by turn 2. Basalt Monolith, Worn Powerstone, and Voltaic Key are at the top of my list for rocks to add because they net the most mana for least cmc. Fellwar Stone and Everflowing Chalice are already in the deck.
I've run Panharmonicon and Strionic Resonator in earlier iterations of the deck. Panharmonicon is hard to combo with casting Godo quickly, it usually takes an extra turn at best, at which point why bother? Strionic Resonator effectively makes Godo cost 2 extra mana to cast to provide any value.
Magus of the Moon has been in the deck since inception, you must have missed it.
2 days ago
I really like the look of this deck! I've been playing a version of $10 U/W SRAM ENCHANTRESS that I've uploaded as Sram the Dwarf Enchantress and I think some mix of that plus this would work really well. Having Dowsing Dagger to pay Daring Saboteur's unblockable cost is awesome but I think I'm playing too many Desert's Hold and need to make room for some counter spells.
2 days ago
1 week ago
Maybe a Dowsing Dagger could help to get more lands and have a nice equipment which can be put on your tokens
1 week ago
Hunted Horror is a generally bad card as it gives our opponent something that we would have difficultiy killing while offering us only 2 etb or death triggers. Hunted Troll was in the original build of this deck, however his high mana cost and low toughness caused him to be dropped in favor of Phyrexian Metamorph which gives us more options while also being able to duplicate both our Hunted Phantasm and Dowsing Dagger Flip.
1 week ago
Also, come to think of it, in the context of a Saheeli ultimate copying the panharmonicon would be 12 not 18 life drain as the Dowsing Dagger Flip will have already entered when Mirage Mirror's ability resolves.