Creature — Elemental
Fear (This creature can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or black creatures.)
When Shriekmaw enters the battlefield, destroy target nonartifact, nonblack creature.
Evoke (You may cast this spell for its evoke cost. If you do, it's sacrificed when it enters the battlefield.)
|Have (2)||metalmagic ,|
Printings View all
|Commander 2020 (C20)||Uncommon|
|Mystery Booster (MYS1)||Uncommon|
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Uncommon|
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Ajani vs. Nicol Bolas (DDH)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Shriekmaw occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.07%
6 hours ago
With a curve of ~4.5 and 34 lands, you're going to be missing a significant number of land drops and be mana screwed more often than not, especially with a commander that costs 5 to start! This deck wants as much mana as it can get late game. A good rule of thumb is to also dedicate 10 slots to mana ramp (artifacts, creatures, spells, etc...). Remember, mana flood > mana screw.
For consistency, increase your land count to a minimum of 36. I'd go more 37-38 with this high of a curve. I also rough-counted 5 cards that either get lands into play or are mana rocks. Farseek, Kodama's Reach, Into the North, Rampant Growth will really help you get to 4-5 mana more consistently. Farhaven Elf is another Wood Elves effect that is abused by Yarok. Also bounce with Thassa, Deep-Dwelling to abuse ETB.
7 hours ago
***The major problem is Simic Growth Chamber. This requires you to return 2 lands to your hand. Remove immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!! *******
You have a curve of ~3.6 with 35 lands and zero mana acceleration. Bring land count to 36. This will allow you to hit your 4th land drop 3.5% more often and 5th land drop 2.1% more often.
You're also missing a significant number of value cards for Yarok builds.
- Mulldrifter and Shriekmaw are great utility spells for this deck.
- Sol Ring should be in every commander deck, with the exception of 2 decks.
- Panharmonicon doubles as Yarok, worth the slot.
- Ravenous Chupacabra is a good kill spell.
- Cyclonic Rift, unless budget is an issue, should be in every blue deck.
- Cheap options to increase mana availability mid-late game include Farseek, Into the North, Rampant Growth, Nature's Lore, Kodama's Reach, Cultivate. A good rule of thumb to start off with is dedicate 10 slots to mana ramp in every commander deck. Include a minimum of 4 of these and Sol Ring.
The following are great value additions to also consider.
7 hours ago
- Mulldrifter and Shriekmaw are great utility spells for Yarok decks.
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth should be in every black manabase. Turn colorless lands and fetchlands into swamps!
- Ravenous Chupacabra is another great utility creature.
- Farseek and Nature's Lore are great mana acceleration spells that let you grab your Triome or other shocks.
- Ob Nixilis, the Fallen is a beat stick.
7 hours ago
You are technically running 35 lands, but Maze of Ith doesn't tap for mana, so it's realistically 34 lands. With a curve at ~4.1, you need some mana help or you will be mana screwed a decent majority of the time. I count 8 spells that accelerate your mana, including Sol Ring. A few of these are 4 CMC. Here are some recommendations.
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth helps colorless utility lands tap for mana. Should be in every black manabase.
- Nature's Lore, Kodama's Reach, and Rampant Growth are good additions to consistently get you to the 4-5 mana range without missing a beat. Birds of Paradise is a good 1 CMC spell that I always appreciate having.
- Shriekmaw is a great utility spell, similar to Mulldrifter. Evoke for 2, kill 2 creatures.
2 days ago
zapyourtumor good call(s) here. I should mention that I have this neat app on my phone called Deckforger which I use when I’m actually constructing the decks I make, then I port them over to my account here when finished. Sometimes they undergo changes between the two, or I forget things or don’t transfer them properly.
I actually had Shriekmaw and Ingot Chewer in the sideboard on the app, but they didn’t transfer (not sure why). Archfiend of Ifnir is in the sideboard also. And Titanoth Rex definitely made the cut; I bought 2 in my last order. I’ll pass on Beast Within for now, but if I have removal problems I’ll keep it in mind. I’ll tuck it in the maybe board. Thanks for all the tips!
2 days ago
Although it is a little bit more expensive, Simian Spirit Guide can provide acceleration if needed. Beast Within is also a decent addition to living end since the 3/3 drawback is removed most of the time.
I personally like Archfiend of Ifnir, although it does cost 2 mana to cycle as well.
2 weeks ago
I ran a deck similar to this for FNM back when Lorwyn block was standard legal... full of Mulldrifters and Shriekmaws. I ran RU/b and used the Harbinger to tutor for Supreme Exemplar and Soulstoke him into play. EOT... as the championed Harbinger comes back into play, rinse and repeat... go find another Exemplar. Supreme Exemplar was banned from play at that store... lol!
3 weeks ago
Hey, good budget version and interesting description. Nice Demonic Tutor :)
Cards $2 or less each to consider adding:
- Swiftfoot Boots: hexproof protection.
- Shielded by Faith: indestructibility protection.
- Open the Armory: tutor for Boots or Faith.
- Phyrexian Reclamation: repeatable creature recursion.
- Hushbringer: flying/double strike/lifelink Snapdax and major opponent disruption.
- Will-o'-the-Wisp: flying and regenerate protection.
- Vampire Nighthawk: flying/double strike/deathtouch/lifelink Snapdax.
- Adanto Vanguard: indestructibility protection.
- Brightling: bounce protection.
- Tome of Legends: repeatable draw with attacking Snapdax.
- Deafening Silence: powerful opponent disruption with your mutate creature strategies.
- Swords to Plowshares: instant exile a creature for one mana.
- Generous Gift: instant destroy any permanent.
- Caves of Koilos
- Battlefield Forge
- Foreboding Ruins
You want more protection for the creature you mutate too because without protection the mutate creature can be killed in response to being mutated or after. In multiplayer Commander mutate is much more of a problem because there's three or more opponents who could have removal. That's a lot more potential removal you have to deal with than if you were playing 1v1.
Swiftfoot Boots gives the equipped creature hexproof meaning that creature can't be targeted by your opponents removal. Boots is an equipment, it can be equipped to any creature you control and it doesn't leave the battlefield when the equipped creature is removed. Open the Armory is a budget tutor that can get Boots.
Flying and double strike is a good combination to do Commander damage with Snapdax. Hushbringer is powerful disruption in multiplayer Commander since it prevents all creatures who have an enter the battlefield ability that triggers and any creature who has a dies ability that triggers. These two types of triggers are ways for players to gain a lot of value from creatures. Hushbringer is not going to affect you much since mutating is not an enter the battlefield trigger it's a cast trigger thus Hushbringer doesn't prevent mutating.
Will-o'-the-Wisp is a one drop flying creature who can regenerate. This little Spirit can be powerful with mutate. Brightling is a unique creature with mutate since you can bounce it as well as all creatures that are mutated back to your hand. This is pseudo protection because you can activate Brightling in response to opponents removal. By bouncing all the creatures that are mutated then you can mutate them all again getting more value out of mutate.
When Snapdax dies you can choose to spend it to your graveyard instead of putting it back into the Command Zone. This gets around having to pay Commander tax for Snapdax and the tax must be paid even if you're mutating Snapdax from the Command Zone which can be problematic. When Snapdax goes to your graveyard then you can recur it with cards that recur creatures from your graveyard. Phyrexian Reclamation is very good repeatable recursion at instant speed for mutate creatures because you want the creature to come back to your hand to then cast it again to mutate again.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Vivid Marsh
- 2x Mountain
- Offspring's Revenge
- Parasitic Impetus
- Shiny Impetus
- Species Specialist
- Duskfang Mentor
- Frillscare Mentor
- Keensight Mentor
- Tentative Connection
- Bad Deal
- Avenging Huntbonder
- Mysterious Egg
Good luck with your deck.