mtg, mtg cards, magic the gathering, gaming, geeks
This event is a constucted deck tournament using current cards from the standard (formerly Type II) format. The format will be multi-round Swiss-style.
Limited Constructed FNM
4 rounds of best 2 of 3, round robin games. Won the first set against a zombie/gravedigger style deck 2-0. Lost against an Eldrazi Elf deck, although the 3rd game I got screwed for 2 mana by turn 10 or so. Won against a blue/black infect deck 2-0. Lost 2-1 against a blue/white control deck.
FNM Standard at The Dragon's Horde:
Friday Night Magic
Round 1 - beat GW Eldrazi in 3 Round 2 - beat BR Vampires Round 3 - beat Caw-Go
Friday Night Magic
Standard FNM Event
Went 4-1 and got third place. I got paired down in the 4th round and lost to the winning deck (U/B Infect) in the last round.
Standard Friday Night Magic
FNM Standard Constructed @ The Whiz
5 Rounds FNM tonight
Store - Next Level Games: Dandenong
Cost - $20
Prize Pool - Top 10 Draft an FTV 20 & Top 4 go into a Draft with $800 in prizes
went 2-2-0, could have gone 3-1-0 but made misplay in the last game of the last match (didn't play a tunnel ignus against RUG when a lotus cobra was out, instead tried a bushwhacker on 3 goblin tokens for 8 dmg. The ignus would have done 6 plus the 3 from attacking tokens, he stabilized at 1.)
Took first place in second FNM the deck had seen.
First round, I immediately got destroyed by Brian Kibler's U/B Infect. It was 2 games, and I had no luck getting my artifact hate in 2nd game. Could have been far more properly prepared, (after this night, I added 3x Go for the Throat sideboard.)it was a really fast game. 0-2
2nd Match, I faced a new player. He said he had bought 3 of the Intro Decks and modified one, which he played. I felt bad for the guy, since I was just dominating for 2 games. 2-0
3rd Match, I faced a ramp of some variety. I didn't see any Eldrazi, or Valakut, so I am not sure. Dominated again, 2-0
4th Match, I faced a Kuldotha Red. It was another sad state of affairs for my opponent. Not to be a dick, but I was kind of surprised a K-Red deck was so high in the standings, as they are really fragile, and I have NEVER had much difficulty with any deck, but it turned out to be a pretty well built pile, with a competent pilot. I won the first game, he took the second, and I won out in the end, 2-1
Overall, I went 3-1 and placed 5th, earning $15 for the night. Not bad for a $5 Entrance fee.
came in 4th
first game Mono U control won 2/0
second match GW infect lost 0/2
third game WG metalcraft won 2/0
tie breaker was mono black control won 2/0
so I did fairly well I think that infect was WAY to fast for my slow ass control deck [[Sorin Markov]] won me the tie breaker loved using him and him and liliana they just have so much love floating between em they are a great team Sorin knocks the creatures out and liliana brings em back perfect romance
We will be playing in the Official FNM Standard Tournament at the Green Dragon. Unless it gets canceled due to a sick judge etc., which is very unlikely.
I Did Ok.... I Lost All Matches And Got One Bye.. I Won First Match In Two And Since I Didnt Have Sideboard I Was Sideboarded Against And Lost The Rest...
First time playing in a tournament with it, and I took 2nd place.
Placed 8th out of 30 decks with B/G Birthing Pod
Round one: Mono White Battle Cry (2-0) [[Acidic Slime]] killed off swords and [[massacre wurm]] finished off his team both games
Round two: Mono Black control (1-2) I could of won this game if i played [[Obstinate Baloth]] to gain 4 life over playing [[acidic slime]] to kill off a land in game 1. Game two [[Viridian Emissary]] beatdown for 4 turns and then i hard casted an [[acidic slime]] the next 2 two turns to keep him off 4 lands. Game 3 He played [[Pyrexian Obliterator]] and had all removal.
Round three: Mono Red (0-2) He over ran me with burn and creatures game 1. Game 2 i could of won if i had played [[obstinate baloth]] to gain 4 life when i was at 14 life so he couldn't kill me. and then my 2 [[pyrexian crusaders]] would have been lethal
Round Four: Jor Kadeen Deck: (2-0) this deck was a joke. I got [[acidic slime]] on [[mimic vat]] game one and blew up everything he had, until i played [[grave titan]] and won. game two I had an acitive pod which was getting me land. I eventually hard casted [[gaea's Revenge]] to swing for lethal.
Round Five: Mono Red: (2-1) I made a mistake game one and let him ultimate with koth which caused my defeat game one. Game two i kept him off his lands and won with [[phyrexian crusader]]. Game three took longer than it should of because it was late and i wasnt thinking straight but sheoldred forced him to sac creatures and [[wurmcoil engine]] was getting me back life from his burn spells which lead to his demise.
Overall went 3-2, I made some changes to the deck based off suggestions, i could of done better if I knew the deck more. You lose and learn.
My first tournament in 10 years. My early inquiries into the metagame revealed a lot of Infect. I saw several being played, but never matched up against one. There were four rounds.
At my local FNM standard tournament I placed #2 among 14 players with my G/W Token Swarm deck.
Match #1 vs U/W Clawbade (2-0) - Game 1. My opponent had [[Jace-the-mind-scupltor]], [[Gideon-Jura]], 2x [[Swordforge-mystic]], [[mortar-pod]], and [[sword-of-feast]]. On my side of the board I have a bunch of soldier tokens that I got from [[conqueror's-plege]] and [[elspeth-tirel]] and a [[hero-of-blade]] which were all forced to attack [[gideon-jura]] on my turn. [[Gideon-Jura]] of course gets demolished. I crank her loyalty up to (6). His turn he makes of the mistake of not bouncing the [[hero-of-blade]] with [[jace-the-mind-scupltor]] and does fails to deal with [[elspeth-tirel]]. Next turn I attack with everything. Afterwards I use [[elspeth-tire]]'s ultimate and clear the board. He proceeds to scoop. - Game 2. I board in 2x [[Viridian-Corrupter]] and take out 2x [[Journey-to-nowhere]]. I'm in trouble this time. He equips [[sword-of-mind-and-body]] and [[sword-of-feast-and-famine]] on a [[squadron-hawk]] and hits me for 4 turns. My deck is looking pretty thin and a lot of good cards are in the graveyard. Finally towards the end I have about 12x soldier tokens, 2x plant tokens, and 2x [[hero-blade]]. Of course he doesn't have enough bodies to block with so I swing for the game and match. - Post Match. Even though I did not even cast beastmaster ascension in either game I still managed to win. I thought I would have to lost to U/W Caw-Blade. After the match was finished I asked him if he had [[ratchet-bomb]] or [[day-of-jugdement] is either mainboard or sideboard. He replied with a regretful "NO".
Match #2 vs B/R Vampires (2-0)
- Game 1. I won relatively easy. He played played a some vampires which I took care of with [[journey-nowhere]]. He drew very few burn spells. My board was full with [[birds-of-paradise]], [[joraga-treespeaker]] and 6x thopter tokens created from [[thopter-assembly]] the previous turn. I laid down [[beastmaster-ascension]]. Game Over.
- Game 2. Of course I sideboard in 3x [[Celestial-purges]] and take out 3x [[journey-to-nowhere]] It plays out pretty much the same way except he draws a little more burn but nothing too phenominal. I out race him and lay down another [[beastmaster-ascension]]. - Post match. I thought for sure I was going to lose against him. Right before the tourney started, I was playtesting with someone that was running the B/R Vampires. He crushed me the majority of the games. During the match I drew pretty good hands and always had plenty of mana to cast anything I wanted. I was able to overrace him both games with ease.
Match #3 vs Mono-Green Elves (1-2)
- Game 1. This a fairly slow game at first. He lays down a couple of elves including [[ezur-renegade-leader]] and I lay down my mana producers, [[birds-of-paradise]] and [[joraga-treespeaker]]. Then I lay down [thopter-assembly]]. His turn he attacks me with a few guys and I take the damage. Next turn my 5x thopter tokens come into play. Next turn I lay down [[beastmaster-ascension]] and that's game because he has no way to deal with fliers at this point.
- Game 2. I get pounded on by elves enchanted by [[leyline-of-vitality]] and [[eldrazi-monument]] beefed up with ezuri and then becoming untapped with [[copper-horn-scout]]. - Game 3. I get completely mana-screwed. I only draw 2x land the entire game. I think I might of had a [[joraga-treepspeakers]] on the board. I lose again. - Post Match. I thought this would have been one of my easier match-ups but it turned out to be the opposite. Theoritically with my deck I should be able to outrace mono-green elves most of the time. Getting mana-screwed is part of the magic world. It happens to everyone at some point and on more than several occasions.
Top 8 Match #4 vs another B/R Vampires (2-0) Game 1. I win pretty easily. He draws two mana the whole game. The creatures he does lay down I just end up journeying them. I cast [[conqueror's-pledge]]. Next turn I cast [[beastmaster-ascension]] and swing with the 6x soldier tokens, birds, and treespeaker. Game Over Game 2. Automatically I board in 3x purges and take out 3x journeys. I win pretty easily again. This time he draws a good amount of land but not too many threats. I swing for lethal once again with tokens and beastmaster.
Match #5 vs Mono-red goblins (2-1)
-Game 1. He crushes me pretty good. He has too many creatures on the board and a lot of burn in hand. I have plenty of mana available but draw nothing good to play.
Game 2. Board in 3x [[kor-firewalkers]] and 3x [[celestial-purges]] and out 4x [[journey-to-nowhere]], 2x [[mirran-crusader]]. He can't do much most of the game because I have 2x firewalkers on the board. I cast conqueror's pledge. Next turn beastmaster and then swing for the game.
- Game 3. This was a really close one. With land he manages to widdle me down to 2 life with 2x [[goblin-guide]] and a bunch of burns spells. Finally I have presence on the board with [[hero-of-blade]], thopter tokens, and beastmaster. Game over. If he had drawn one more land I would have probably lost.
- Post match. Too close of a game for my taste. Luck was on my side I guess but also poor choice on his part for keeping a hand with only 1x land.
Match #6 vs. B/R Vampires (Guy from Match #2) (2-0)
- Game 1. I have plenty of land on the board and 3x birds on the board with nothing to play in hand. I even have to block with the birds eventually.
- Game 2. Side in the purges again. Every time I lay down a mana producer he burns them to death. Sadly the only thing I can cast for most of my turns were 2 beastmasters. No creatures though. I draw a [[garruk-wildspeaker]] trying to help me with my mana situation. Sadly the beast token and garruk are burn to death. In hand I have 2x pledges, white sun, and elspeth t. Next couple of turns i draw no lands. I'm totally screwed. Two beastmasters and nothing to play. Total damnation. - Post match. I guess it's my fault for not accepting his offer to draw and split 1st place. Revenge happens to be pretty sweet and sorrowful. I had to lose to B/R vamps at point in the tourney.
Post Tourney Summary
I was overall happy with my standing in the tourney, which is only my 2nd standard FNM local tourney. The deck surpassed my expectations. No one was prepared to handle what my deck has to bring. I was always able to outrace my opponents and swing for lethal in one turn. This deck never runs out of steam once I have enough mana. Some other decks present at the tourney were R/U/B, Mono-Red Control, R/W Boros, G/W Quest, White Weenie life gain, B/G landfall, and some other decks which I don't remember.
FNM at Gamer's Inn in Mesa, AZ.
3-round Swiss standard tournament.