|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Rakdos, Lord of Riots
- Lifelink is it only for combat damage?
- Using abilities that say "can only be used any time you can cast a sorcery"
- Does jarad, golgari lich lord's activated ability cause lifegain when whip of erebos is on the BF?
- If I use Whip of Erebos to unearth a creature and I then target them with Cloudshift, what happens?
Whip of Erebos
Legendary Enchantment Artifact
Creatures you control have lifelink.
, : Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step. If it would leave the battlefield, exile it instead of putting it anywhere else. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (54)||ironax , bakunet , Supremespeed , JeremyTheMiner , the.beanpole , sneferie , dbp512 , gildan_bladeborn , Pelli , Myllyes314 , LPrats , Dyobsemaj , saj0219 , pskinn01 , damo_rox , Spinalripper , jstn.mrrtt , duff87 , rikertchu , dplerner , Swamy , vashaclarens , abby315 , Orypool , Riders_of_Brohan , Metaphisyk , philktoken8998 , Dimarx , Unlife , golgarigirl , Azdranax , ACCG , JAT0 , bradyofportdetroit , tragic_slip , REV666 , Tiddilywinkus , ZombieFood , ChrisH , switchkill65 , voidruby , prass1 , Rez09 , Friedrice24 , MonoRedBomb.Com , MrCrazzyc , Famicomania , joshw335 , frederiklw , TheDuggernaught , Vasbear1 , TheLazyGrim , Axtel , YossarianLives|
|Want (5)||mazrimtaim , brokendwarf , bradyofportdetroit , Turtlelover73 , Desol4tion|
Whip of Erebos Discussion
1 day ago
You'll want some faster card draw and creatures, and more go-wide pay offs. Disciple of Bolas, Zulaport Cutthroat, Falkenrath Noble, Blood Artist, Grim Backwoods, Sangromancer, Rogue's Passage, Whip of Erebos are all good cards to add.
Midnight Banshee is a major nonbo in your deck. It kills all of your snakes that you get from it, as well as many of your other creatures.
For lands you'll want to avoid tapped lands that dont further your game plan some how. Replace with basics or fast-duals: Foul Orchard, Golgari Guildgate, Golgari RotFarm, Jungle Hollow, Khalni Garden, Mortuary Mire, Oran-Rief, the Vastwood, Cabal Stronghold. Manabasecrafter.com provides a very helpful list of every mana source you can play given your commander.
4 days ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
5 days ago
I have this list Mono black deckbuilder's toolbox which has my big list of usual brewing cards.
6 days ago
I'm gonna have to try Reconnaissance at some point as it seems pretty silly. I'm slightly hesitant to add mama elf Marwyn, the Nurturer as I'm not sure how she will perform but overall I've been happy with how mine went.
The deck can present a threatening board state with just 2 to 3 creatures which is rather nice.
When I played it I was able to get Ruric Thar, the Unbowed turn 5 I believe.....he didn't even make it my next turn lol.
1 week ago
1 week ago
1 week ago
Grand Abolisher is very nice, means Kaalia of the Vast can attack and play an A/D/D on your turn without interference. He is $6 though, so doesn't help your under $200 budget, but you have some room it looks like.
Karmic Guide is pretty cheap, has protection: and has recursion built-in, I really like her, she can be abused too if you choose. Could easily replace Tariel, Reckoner of Souls, he's too random, and can't get your graveyard.
Should also spend the $8 on Master of Cruelties. Instant kill-con.
Archfiend of Depravity is a reasonably good budget demon. Mortify is a good budget removal spell. Aegis Angel is a good budget angel, and protects Kaalia of the Vast. Bladewing the Risen is good budget recursion dragon. None are auto-includes though, but there's some stuff there they could replace.
Hellspark Elemental feels wrong, does he combo something? No synergy.
Battlefield Forge is a budget land that can get rid of some of the "ETB Tapped" lands your running.
Crackling Doom feels in the flavor of this deck because of the red spells you play. Thunderous Wrath is awesome to top deck, but sucks in the hand, can always just burn a player if drawn at a inconvenient time. Bogardan Hellkite also feels kind-of in this flavor too.
Flameblast Dragon won't work if he enters tapped and attacking, you'll have to wait until next turn to activate his ability.
I'm testing Demonlord Belzenlok, I think he's going to work out, I have a feeling.
Necropotence is $6 I believe, but can help with the draw issues.
Hopefully you find something useful here. Nice build. +1.
2 weeks ago
Ey! Thanks for the help! I'm shifting cards around since I im still looking if I can get my hands on them. Im gonna update this list later tonight and I'm planning to include The Immortal Sun and Patriarch's Bidding.
I think im still gonna test vela, since shes also there to grant my creatures intimidate, which in my book is what this deck is looking for. Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker is also a splendid idea, although he has a heavy casting cost.
For me, Copy Enchantment is a personal favourite. It can also copy the powerful green or white pumping enchantments of my opponents. Nevertheless, its probably too much of a guess card and ill probably cut it for now.