|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Rakdos, Lord of Riots
- Lifelink is it only for combat damage?
- Using abilities that say "can only be used any time you can cast a sorcery"
- Does jarad, golgari lich lord's activated ability cause lifegain when whip of erebos is on the BF?
- If I use Whip of Erebos to unearth a creature and I then target them with Cloudshift, what happens?
Whip of Erebos
Legendary Enchantment Artifact
Creatures you control have lifelink.
, : Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step. If it would leave the battlefield, exile it instead of putting it anywhere else. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Whip of Erebos Discussion
1 week ago
Whip of Erebos would give lifelink as well. Sorry for blowing your notifications up
1 week ago
Whip of Erebos is very important in this format, often because combos are less prevalent, and often you will be killed through having your life reduced to 0. Lifelink is powerful in $50 budget commander league. Also, it's an artifact so can avoid removal, plus it allows me to recur creatures like Fleshbag Marauder/Slum Reaper/Merciless Executioner/etc that I can't recur, to trigger my Glissa, the Traitor ability to return my artifacts. Sangromancer to can gain quite a bit of life in an Barter in Blood/Mutilate/Etc type situation.
I did opt-in things like Golgari Cluestone/Horizon Spellbomb/Etc because of draw or LTB triggers as well (on stuff like Mycosynth Wellspring for example. I thought I needed more tutors Razaketh's Rite/Diabolic Tutor but you might be right where I need more ramp now. I'll try and get some reps in, I have 4 $50 commanders now, so i usually randomly choose, but I can select, last season, and this season Glissa, the Traitor runs a 33% win ratio (in 4-player pods), so it is fairly consistent.
2 weeks ago
Seguendo la linea di analisi che ti ho descritto nel vocale e partendo dal principio che piuttosto che una carta scarsa è meglio un Relentless Rats, ti dico:
- Dirty Wererat è scarso, toglilo.
- Mortal Combat è forte se giochi un mazzo che si automilla/scarta molto, altrimenti rischia di diventare inutile, io la toglierei.
- Death Denied è situazionale, rischi di non usarla affatto, così come Gravepurge. Il tuo obbiettivo è avere tante creature in campo, non tante creature al cimitero per usare queste due carte. Togli entrambi e metti il Beacon of Unrest, che può anche riprendere il Thornbite Staff (anche quello di un avversario), che è una win condition.
- Go for the Throat è forte, ma ti serve? Idem per Malicious Affliction. A te le creature non nere o non artefatto non interessano, perché tanto sono quelle che non possono bloccare i tuoi ratti con paura. Toglili entrambi e metti Archetype of Finality, così il giocatore in difesa ci pensa due volte prima di bloccare un topo 1/1, o ad attaccarti.
- Thousand-Year Elixir ti fa stappare Marrow-Gnawer una volta sola, mentre Sword of the Paruns te lo fa fare quante volte vuoi, switchale.
- Trova un posto per Illusionist's Bracers. Sacrifichi un solo topo, ma fai l'abilità due volte. Magari togli un Relentless Rats, o mettila al posto di una delle carte non terra che toglierei, come i due qua sotto.
- Gnat Miser e Locust Miser mi fanno pensare, perché sono facilmente counterati da una Reliquary Tower, nel caso toglili. In effetti, il tuo non è un mazzo fatto per far scartare... non hai Nekusar, the Mindrazer in zona di comando, ecco. Io li toglierei.
- Swarmyard è forte, ma vale 10 euro? Come rapporto prestazioni/prezzo, meglio una Swamp.
- Terramorphic Expanse in un mazzo monocolore è utile come i cavoli a merenda, metti una Swamp.
- Sign in Blood la usi una volta e basta, mentre Carnage Altar, Vampiric Rites e Phyrexian Vault le riusi. Io cercherei di metterle tutte e tre al posto di carte che sarebbe meglio togliere o di qualche Relentless Rats.
- Whip of Erebos non mi sembra particolarmente adatta qui, toglila. Non hai bisogno né di lifelink, né di recursion che poi esilia. -Crypt Ghast e Caged Sun servono se hai cose grosse da lanciare, non per lanciare tante cose piccole (perché in quel caso finiresti solo per finire le carte in mano e basta), io le toglierei, tanto la tua curva è bassa.
- Profane Command, Life's Finale ed Extinguish All Hope non ti servono molto, poiché ti riprendi in fretta dai boardwipe. Metti piuttosto qualcosa che fa resistere Marrow-Gnawer ai boardwipe, come ad esempio Unhallowed Pact, Undying Evil, Supernatural Stamina o Rescue from the Underworld (almeno i primi tre mettili). Se ci pensi, io, nel mazzo di Meren of Clan Nel Toth, non ho nessun boardwipe, però funziona lo stesso, perché ho modi diversi di interagire con la board. Il tuo mazzo, in modo diverso, fa la stessa cosa. Se stai attaccando con 10 ratti con paura e deathtouch dall'Archetype of Finality o semplicemente casti Sudden Spoiling (che puoi castare anche se non sei tu il giocatore attaccante) dopo che il giocatore in difesa dichiara i bloccanti, o dopo che tu hai dichiarato i bloccanti, non è quasi la stessa cosa?
2 weeks ago
I think we have different approaches to how the deck is being built where you have a more group slugs dynamic, I have been going for a more fort approach which punishes my opponents for swinging at me. with that said I do like Whip of Erebos and am going to put it in the maybe pile to try out cause I do think a small amount of recursion wouldnt hurt this deck to say the least! Also the additional "war" creatures are definitely a meta choice, my playgroup is heavily combo/combo centric, and have like how these creatures have been playing so far.
overall great feedback though and seeing your deck has definitely thinking about some different angles to try out latter down the line <3
thanks Gleeock :D
2 weeks ago
IMO, with a good amount of playtesting you don't need quite as much redundant "force attack" creatures... hard to say. I usually focus on populating my opponents with little pingers or laying down groupslug stuff early on, then drop Thantis once the field has been populated. I have found that it is not such a bad thing to let them rush at you with a mid-level swing wide approach, either your crackback is going to massive... or a token/overrun strategy is so out-of-hand that you are already going to lose anyway. I think Grand Melee, Goblin Diplomats, Fumiko the Lowblood are all redundant.
LIFELINK tested better for me than deathtouch! My reason for this: having a giant spider kills enemies just as dead as deathtouch. Evasion? I'm not that worried about evasion unless the majority of my opponent's field is vigilant (happened once) In which case it was a war of attrition where my slug enchantments went to work. That being said: Bow of Nylea is low CMC & a swiss army knife of abilities. Poison-Tip Archer life-loss ability is still sweet. Whip of Erebos does SERIOUS WORK, gives limited recursion someone mentioned above. I forced a bunch of 1/1's to attack me (blocked one with Thantis) and GAINED life due to Thantis growing before combat dmg was assessed, then I crackbacked for massive lifegain... also toying with Loxodon Warhammer for this purpose.
I don't tend to use much "dictate" effects because my strategy pretty much assures that they have an ample supply of weenies to sac anyway & I want those weenies to go to work popping dmg through on tapped-out opponents, not durdling around with sac-all day slowdown stuff. In effect, 4:7 games I have populated opponents with creatures, played small nuisance groupslug enchantments, somebody predictably controls the field with creature-based boardwipes, I enjoy my incremental dmg enchantments going to work on an empty battlefield.
My deck may have some decent ideas (although the idea behind it is MINIMAL CONTROL, which alot of people are uncomfortable with).
Commander / EDH*
SCORE: 6 | 7 COMMENTS | 338 VIEWS | IN 3 FOLDERS
2 weeks ago
While you could certainly play it, I think there are better options, something like Whip of Erebos would do well.
2 weeks ago
love the deck! And love the username!I'm Gen2'er, so that's some nostalgia right there.
back to the deck, it looks so cool! You might enjoy the defensive/offensive potential of Dragon Egg. + it'd lower your mana-curve a great deal :D
I know the deck isn't for a format, but unless you play with some very forgiving people, you're quite plausibly gonna get some ill will for the playset of Sol Rings :P just thinking out loud here ;) Rakdos Signet or Fire Diamond might make for passable substitutes :)
Herald's Horn might be to your liking :)
and possibly, if you can squeeze it in there, some removal for creatures/artifacts would be swell - good luck, though - I've been playing for over 8 years, and I still opt for more goodstuff and less removal when I build decks xp
3 weeks ago
She saw some play in RTR + THS standard mainly in Golgari decks that ran stuff like Grisly Salvage, Satyr Wayfinder, Lotleth Troll, Nyx Weaver, Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord, Nighthowler, etc. Some sultai stuff was also around that used her.
People mostly remember that Standard rotation as containing lots of UWx control that absolutely abused Sphinx's Revelation and Supreme Verdict as well as mono B and BW decks centered around Gray Merchant of Asphodel. Cards like Nightveil Specter, Pack Rat, Underworld Connections, and so on proved to be easy ways to increase devotion counts. Mono blue devotion was also a thing around then, as was GR monsters lists that abused ramping with Voyaging Satyr and Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx.
Lastly, that standard era was defined by the insane power of Elspeth, Sun's Champion. Midrange decks that weren't Elspeth decks needed other ways to close games to stay relevant as long as she stayed around.
As far as removal was concerned, no, there wasn't an overabundance of great options. For example, Hero's Downfall was a $15 card when it came out. It's pretty good, but that's the best outside of Verdict. The biggest graveyard abuse that took place during this era came from Whip of Erebos. Still, remember that Rest in Peace debuted in Ravnica and did very little work in the format. It was a junk rare for a long time.
Hope that helps. If you have other questions, I can answer them.