|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Rakdos, Lord of Riots
- Lifelink is it only for combat damage?
- Using abilities that say "can only be used any time you can cast a sorcery"
- Does jarad, golgari lich lord's activated ability cause lifegain when whip of erebos is on the BF?
- If I use Whip of Erebos to unearth a creature and I then target them with Cloudshift, what happens?
Whip of Erebos
Legendary Enchantment Artifact
Creatures you control have lifelink.
, : Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step. If it would leave the battlefield, exile it instead of putting it anywhere else. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (47)||ironax , bakunet , pskinn01 , Supremespeed , JeremyTheMiner , the.beanpole , sneferie , Swamy , dbp512 , gildan_bladeborn , Pelli , duff87 , Myllyes314 , vashaclarens , LPrats , philktoken8998 , Dyobsemaj , saj0219 , golgarigirl , silvereh , abby315 , Spinalripper , jstn.mrrtt , rockleemyhero , JAT0 , bradyofportdetroit , tragic_slip , REV666 , Tiddilywinkus , ZombieFood , ChrisH , switchkill65 , voidruby , Paradise_Collectibles , prass1 , Rez09 , Friedrice24 , MonoRedBomb.Com , MrCrazzyc , Famicomania , Riders_of_Brohan , joshw335 , frederiklw , TheDuggernaught , Vasbear1 , Axtel , YossarianLives|
|Want (4)||brokendwarf , bradyofportdetroit , Turtlelover73 , Desol4tion|
Whip of Erebos Discussion
16 hours ago
Where are you going to play this deck? If it's just for the kitchen table, have all the fun in the world.
If you want it to play against, say, the better class of budget decks, or even tier decks, you need to do rather a lot. Start by determining what your best case first four turns of a game would look like, specificall which cards you would have in hand and play during these turns. Then bump those cards up to four of each, and remove some of those, you wouldn't really want anyway.
Under all circumstances, you'll need more lands. At least 22 lands (but probably more). Otherwise you'll lose games to mana screw.
Decent budget-friendly cards to consider (since I believe this deck is supposed to be budget-friendly)
Gatekeeper of Malakir (removal AND a body, at a reasonable mana cost)
Victim of Night (pretty good removal)
Ob Nixilis Reignited (Mr. Control-demon, with both card draw and removal, best in a slow environment though)
Corrupt (a single copy, just for the killing blow)
Phyrexian Arena (a stable source of cards)
Mutilate (for the budget-minded control-player who wants to get rid of creatures)
Whip of Erebos (great with creatures that have ETB-abilities)
Desecration Demon (cheap, big, and with a drawback might occasionally be advantageous)
Pack Rat (for turning all your cards useful)
2 days ago
Whip of Erebos to get lifelinking value?
Bramblewood Paragon to get trampling value?
Don't really know any other cards for +1/+1 counter theme that could work really well in this deck
on Oloro Stuff
5 days ago
- Chalice of Life Flip: Isn't the worst card in Oloro, but isn't all that reliable either.
- Darksteel Plate: I've seen you play this card a bunch of times, and most of the time it just sits there, all menacingly. Problem is - your deck doesn't plan to use creatures often, so the plate also won't be used either.
- Dreamstone Hedron: Ramp is great, but expensive ones that produce colorless mana can be iffy since they're often easy targets right after you play them. Gilded Lotus can at least let you cast counterspells after you tap all your lands to play it.
- Orzhov Keyrune: This one is just personal preference from me. I don't like 3 mana artifact ramp most of the time. (Chromatic Lantern and Darksteel Ingot are much better) It's up to you if you wanna take it out or not.
- Sun Droplet: This card is very slow and you could easily replace it with something better.
- Subversion: It may seem like a decent drain effect, but it's not that great since it's 5 mana and makes you wait til your next upkeep before it does anything.
- Thought Reflection: Decent card, but 7 mana is pretty costly. Up to you if you wanna keep it.
- Celestial Force: It's nice to instantly gain life each upkeep, but 8 mana for basically just a vanilla creature otherwise isn't really good.
- Pontiff of Blight: Extort is nice for your deck, but your deck doesn't have many creatures to take advantage of the pontiff. Up to you if you wanna keep this guy if you wanna add more creatures.
- Skirge Familiar: I think this card would be a lot better if your deck was more combo focused.
- Azorius Chancery: These types of lands will flat out screw you over if they get destroyed or Blood Mooned.
Cards you definitely should add (won't cost you a whole lot):
- Crested Sunmare: Easily synergizes with Oloro and provides very solid creatures for defensive/offensive plays.
- Aetherflux Reservoir: The win condition you've been looking for. It's a pretty funny card honestly, but works very well with Oloro once you get him going.
- Alhammarret's Archive: Simply synergizes well with Oloro.
- Felidar Sovereign: Not sure how the others would feel about alternative win conditions, but if everyone' okay with it, this guy can most likely win you some games.
- Karlov of the Ghost Council: An awesome card. Can help control the board or becomes a big body to swing with.
- Delay, Counterspell, Swan Song, Negate: Good, cheap counterspells you should at least be running.
- Sphinx's Revelation: Put that ramping to good use.
- Anguished Unmaking, Cyclonic Rift: Must-have control instants.
- Supreme Verdict, Merciless Eviction, Fumigate: Excellent board wipes to go with Oloro.
- Clever Impersonator: This guy's incredibly flexible and can be useful in just about any situation.
- Mana Confluence: Almost exactly another copy of City of Brass.
- Temple of Enlightenment, Temple of Silence, Temple of Deceit: These will make your mana base a tad bit more consistent while helping you a bit with your next draw as well.
- Diabolic Tutor/Dark Petition/more tutors: Your deck would be more consistent if it had more tutors.
- Brainstorm: Generally a good blue card to manipulate your deck/hand a bit at an instant.
Suggestions (Some are costly, but very worth it for Oloro):
- Grave Titan: Just a powerhouse in general. Just like Crested Sunmare, Grave Titan will give you excellent battlefield presence.
- Whip of Erebos: If you do add more creatures like Grave Titan, this card can be very good for your life gain strategy.
- Sun Titan: One of my favorites. Can grab back some useful stuff, even land.
- Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant, Suture Priest, Auriok Champion: The soul sisters. You shouldn't include all of them at once though. Just keep them in mind since they're good against creature-heavy decks.
- Consecrated Sphinx: Costly, but worth.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation: Punishes spell-slinging decks, and generally nice if he sticks around.
- Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim: She can be good if you can keep your life total high enough.
- Sanguine Sacrament: Pretty nice for the deck's game plan at instant speed.
- Demonic Tutor: Arguably the best tutor you can find, but the price tag will probably turn you away. But... Greatness, at any cost.. Right?
- Enlightened Tutor, Mystical Tutor, Vampiric Tutor: Excellent tutors, but expensive (although Mystical Tutor is only around $5; not a whole lot compared to Vampiric Tutor).- Austere Command: Another one of my favorites. Very flexible, and doesn't cost a whole lot either.
- Torment of Hailfire: This card will probably make everyone hate you, but it's a fantastic card nonetheless.
- Leyline of Anticipation: One of the best blue enchantments in my opinion. Allows you to intimidate everyone just by playing a land on your turn.
- Crawlspace: Good against creature-heavy decks.
- Talisman of Dominance, Talisman of Progress, Fellwar Stone: Some decent and cheap mana rocks if you want more ramp.
- Decree of Pain: A good tempo swing in your favor if there are a ton of creatures in play. Kinda costly to play though.
- Hallowed Fountain, Godless Shrine, Watery Grave: Shock lands. Excellent at increasing consistency with mana bases. They're even better with the Fetch lands. All of these lands are very costly though.
- Flooded Plains, Marsh Flats, Polluted Delta: Example Fetch lands you could use.
- Ponder, Preordain: Cheap cantrips for a little more consistency.
- Maze of Ith, Kor Haven: Decent control lands.
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Cabal Coffers: Generates a ton of mana if you get them together.
- Expedition Map: Can help getting the above lands or any land you need.
- Crypt Ghast: Synergizes very well with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, but is overall decent for your deck.
That's all I can think of for now. I can post more for you if I think of anything else.
1 week ago
Hey I noticed your comment that you got skipped.
You might want to consider removing the random stuff and focusing on your pillowfort more. Example: Skyline Despot. This is a great card, but if you don't want other players to focus on you then getting a free 5/5 flyer every turn may not be the best idea.
Good luck and hope I helped.
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
Well of Lost Dreams is solid card draw in a lifegain deck. Angelheart Vial is actually not great, but it at least fits the theme. Necropotence might be good here, since you've got ways to kill it and ways to gain more life so you don't end up locked out of drawing cards. I don't see a lot of ways to take advantage of your graveyard, so Skeletal Scrying is a solid option. And there's several other one-shot card-drawing spells in black you could take advantage of - Night's Whisper, Ambition's Cost, Ancient Craving, Hoarder's Greed.
This isn't exactly card draw, but Whip of Erebos is awesome with your commander and it might be worth an include because of that. If you let Obzedat go to the graveyard when it dies, you can just Whip it back on your turn. At the end of the turn, as long as you stack Obzedat's exile trigger on top of Whip's, you'll get your Obzedat back like normal. Whip won't interfere with Obzedat's exile trigger. If you do go this route, you probably want to make sure to have a few more ways to get Obzedat out of your graveyard, whether it's exile or Raise Dead or reanimation. Nezumi Graverobber is a classic Commander card and could be sweet.
How about some creature cuts? I'd cut:
- Serra Avatar because you have no way to give it evasion, so it's just going to get chumped by Squirrels
- High Priest of Penance because you don't have ways to abuse it, so it's just a really awkward Vindicate that often won't work
- Treasury Thrull because casting a six-mana 4/4 feels so bad and even if it lives a round so it can attack, it's very likely to get blocked by something that will kill it
- Hokori, Dust Drinker because this deck is full of 5-, 6- and 7-drops and it doesn't have a lot of artifact mana or Seedborn Muse or Sword of Feast and Famine to make the effect less symmetrical. Against decks with more ramp or a lower curve, Hokori is a liability.
2 weeks ago
Whip of Erebos is a great addition to any vampire deck