|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Time Spiral "Timeshifted" (TSB)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Zombie
Zombie spells you cast cost (1) less to cast.
Zombie creatures you control get +2/+1.
Undead Warchief Discussion
1 week ago
Your land count is pretty low compared to your average CMC. I suggest no less than 37 for non-competitive lists. Also, I would run some more rocks. Jet Medallion Charcoal Diamond Fellwar Stone for starters. Unstable Obelisk for the upside of getting rid of permanents that Black has trouble with.
1 week ago
I've been piloting a Scarab God commander deck recently as well, he's one of my favorite commanders by far. I think I may have some advice to give, haha.
The way I've built mine is with more of a focus on SG's first ability, and poured a lot of spots into token generation. Cards like Grave Titan , Cryptbreaker , and Ghoulcaller Gisa are fantastic additions to this deck, and you can get double the mileage out of the titan via SG's reanimation, along with other reanimator effects. I'd recommend Nim Deathmantle for this. Ashnod's Altar is a phenomenal card to have in a token focused deck, and since it's at instant speed you can just throw one of your tokens under the bus to pay for that last bit of mana. It's also got some insane combo potential with Nim Deathmantle (the two combo infinitely with Grave Titan if you're interested).
In regards to zombie anthems, cards like Metallic Mimic and Adaptive Automaton usually fly under the radar, and there's a few more than the ones you have in here already (though you've likely seen them at some point). Wonder is a great thing to put in, because a horde of 5/5 flying zombies is not something you want to be on the receiving end of. A couple more anthems for your deck I'd recommend are Undead Warchief for cheaper zombies and Lord of the Undead for recursion on them. Finally, depending on how many non-zombie cards you end up with in here, I'd check out Arcane Adaptation . You don't have too many at the moment, but I'm putting it on your radar just in case.
Hope I've helped!
4 weeks ago
Some cards to consider:
- Bojuka Bog : A must include in any black commander deck.
- Boneknitter : Utility, simple as that.
- Corpse Harvester : Out with the old, in with the new... and a swamp!
- Cryptbreaker : So much value in such a small package. Token generating, card draw, good in the early and late game... what is not to love about this card!
- Death Baron : A zombie lord with some extra punch Sure he doesn't get deathtouch himself, but all those 2/2 tokens that are now 3/3 deathtouch.
- Dread Summons : Ever seen those zombie movies with that big hoard that just keeps coming... that's this card. Gives you a bunch of tokens, and recursion bait for your commander.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead : Card title kind of says it all for this one. Obviously not the best in metas with wrath effects coming down every turn, but shines like a copper penny otherwise.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa : So take one creature, throw it under the bus, and get more...
- Grave Titan : Why this thing isn't a zombie I will never know. 6/6 for 6, deathtouch, and brings two friends with it AND when it attacks.
- Graveborn Muse : Card draw based on zombies, who is also a zombie!
- Infernal Caretaker : Mass recursion, either play them out, or discard them back for more effects.
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : Just an all around strong zombie planeswalker.
- Liliana's Mastery : Zombies + an anthem that won't be a big target for removal.
- Lord of the Undead : A low to the ground zombie lord with recursion on a stick.
- Noxious Ghoul : Sweeps out low toughness cards for things you're already doing. Just great value.
- Relentless Dead : A great early drop, and late game it serves as a sac target + recursion.
- Shepherd of Rot : Yes it hits you, but this can be such a major threat.
- Undead Warchief : Cheaper zombies, and bigger zombies. All in one convenient package.
- Awaken the Erstwhile : Disruption, plain and simple. Sure it hurts your hand too, but you are the one with all the zombie based anthems.
- Victim of Night : Doomblade 2.0, but hits black creatures.
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier : You'll have so many tokens kicking around to exploit that she's just a straight tutor, and if she ever hits the graveyard just use her again with Scarab God.
- Fleshbag Marauder : Hurts them a lot more than you, and enter the battlefield abilities are great with Scarab around.
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight : Solid 4/5 Menace for 4, got the extra 6 mana though and he brings friends who also have menace.
- Wonder : Flying zombies... yep, that's scary.
- Pull from Tomorrow : Nice draw on an instant with the added benefit to pitch something for Scarab to target.
- Price of Fame : Legendary killer + Surveil 2... love it.
- Sinister Sabotage : Counterspell + Surveil... love it too.
- Paradox Haze : You've got a couple effects that trigger on upkeep, why not double up?
- The deck currently seems to be going in two directions, you have a large zombie theme which I love, but you also have a minor mill theme which seems out of place.
- Advanced Stitchwing : Slow for what it gives, even on the bounce back it comes back tapped.
- Apprentice Necromancer : This is one I'm on the fence suggesting, it's a one use for one turn only.
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born : This guy is beast, but he works best in a deck build around him.
- Lamplighter of Selhoff : Slow, for his effect.
- Merciless Eternal : He's not bad, just a lot better things to include in the 3 cost bracket.
- Phenax, God of Deception : Love this guy, really do, but he's out of place here because he's a mill guy who loves big butts.
- Relentless Skaabs : This guy does everything you don't want as he hurts your graveyard in order to even hit play.
- Servant of Tymaret : Slow with high cost. In order to make the best use of him you have to be attacking, and if the way isn't clear that means a 3 mana tax just for 1 life on each opponent.
- Spiteful Returned : Don't hate it, but better things out there.
- Stitchwing Skaab : Suffers from the same as Advanced Stitchwing.
- Undead Alchemist : This guy can go either way, but the way I look at him is generally people have more cards in their decks than life, so it's easier to take out their life.
- Vindictive Lich : This guy is fun, though for his cost there is a lot more out there.
- Exotic Orchard : Risky unless you know your playgroup always has one of your colors, otherwise it's just a colorless and a swamp or island would be just as good.
- Leechridden Swamp : Slows you down for a minor effect.
- Path of Ancestry : Phenax is the only other god creature, so even if you keep him in it's very slow for the benefit it probably will never get the chance to give.
- Coat of Arms : I love this card, I really do, but it's a calculated risk and I find zombies are usually too slow of it. Run up against a goblin or elf deck and this will do more for your opponent.
- Mindcrank : This is another I'm on the fence with as it pairs really well with Scarab.
- Vanquisher's Banner : Good card, though you're not casting all those tokens so you're only getting a bit of a benefit from it.
- Liliana Vess : Good card, out of place in this deck unless you are going heavier into the mill.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited : Just completely out of place for zombie tribal.
- Glimpse the Unthinkable : One of those mill cards, it suffers as a one of.
- Rise from the Grave : Expensive for effect.
- Ruthless Disposal : This isn't bad in this deck, but compared to Morbid Slip for example it lacks that added shine.
- Curse of Disturbance : So much politics, this is VERY meta dependent as to if players fall for the bait.
- Quest for the Gravelord : This can work out, but more often then not stuff isn't dying fast enough or it just gets pinged with early removal.
- Search for Azcanta Flip: More at home in a non-creature strategy.
- Torment of Scarabs : Most people can play around this with not too much fuss, and it gives all the choice to them. I'd prefer some targeted removal.
1 month ago
I love zombies. Here’s some more budget friendly options for zombie tribal. Diregraf Captain , Diregraf Colossus , Undead Warchief , Lord of the Accursed , Cryptbreaker (great for card draw), Death Baron , and Shepherd of Rot .
1 month ago
Major change to the deck. Trying to see if this smooths it out.
Added: 3x Thought Erasure , 2x Lord of the Accursed , 1x Gisa and Geralf , 2x Rotting Rats , 2x Dark Salvation , 1x Liliana, Death's Majesty , 3x Screeching Skaab , 3x Cemetery Recruitment , 1x Watery Grave , 4x Unclaimed Territory , 1x Island
Cut: 5x Swamp , 1x Stronghold Assassin , 1x Gempalm Polluter , 2x Dregscape Zombie , 1x Fatestitcher , 1x Undead Warchief , 3x Armored Skaab , 2x Dream Twist , 2x Lord of the Undead , 2x Soulless One , 3x Wailing Ghoul
2 months ago
I play a multiplayer game weekly. The idea for this deck is to draw or search for Gray Merchant of Asphodel . Play Gravecrawler on turn one, turn two Dark Ritual for Phyrexian Obliterator or Culling the Weak for Undead Warchief and recast Gravecrawler from the graveyard. Next comes Midnight Reaper play Culling the Weak or Altar's Reap to draw a load of cards, or Entomb or Buried Alive to put the Gray Merchant of Asphodel into the graveyard then Ghoulcaller's Chant , Ghoulraiser or Zombie Apocalypse to bring him into play. In play testing if I get a really good draw I can play the Gray Merchant of Asphodel twice on turn 5 with a ton of devotion. The guys I play with have some good decks but there are no turn 2,3 or 4 wins.
Thanks for looking and suggestions!
Also I know it should be 60 cards, still testing to find the right mix. So far my mana curve is a bit wack I think but still a work in progress.
3 months ago
For the zombie theme, Grave Crawler will also be better for you in this deck than Reassembling Skeleton . You could also include Cover of Darkness and Kindred Dominance . Undead Warchief will help you recast your commander when he is inevitably removed, and powers up your deck, to boot.
As for other removal, Something like Festergloom is going to be low-impact, so you'd be better off running Decree of Pain . Hero's Downfall is an easy upgrade to Murder , and Bojuka Bog and Nihil Spellbomb are easily better than Tormod's Crypt and Vile Rebirth . Gate to Phyrexia is a good card to include in mono-black, especially with the ability to churn out 2/2 zombies.
As for lands, I'm sure you've already considered it, but you've still got room in the budget for Cabal Coffers . It's never going to be a bad investment with the growing popularity of Commander. I would also go for Shizo, Death's Storehouse . It will be better than Rogue's Passage . You should seriously consider how many non-swamps you want, too, with your commander. What do you have that is going to draw you over seven cards to make use of Reliquary Tower ? Temple of the False God is awful. If you have an opening hand of two swamps and Temple, what do you do if you don't draw a third land? Also, if you're running tutors for your Cabal Stronghold , as often as not, you're going to lose that extra mana by having one less swamp out, anyway. Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse aren't doing you any favors. The deck thinning is negligible in a 99-card deck, and your commander has built-in flood protection.
4 months ago
Also maybe Rewind,Dimir Locket,Sinister Sabotage,Lord of the Accursed,Buried Alive,Grave Titan,Diregraf Captain,Training Grounds,Endless Ranks of the Dead,Undead Warchief,Lich Lord of Unx,Sidisi, Undead Visier,Liliana, Death's Majesty,Death Baron,Liliana, the Last Hope,Dread Summons!Ghoulcaller Gisa,Lord of the Undead,Zombie Master,Geth, Lord of the Vault,Unbreathing Horde,Forgotten Creation,Prized Amalgam,Phenax, God of Deception,Sheoldred, Whispering One,Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet,Thief of Sanity,Burnished Hart,and Traumatize plus some kill spells and more counter spells and you should be pretty close;) Also you maybe should check out EDHREC for some more options.
Undead Warchief occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%