Destroy target creature or planeswalker.
|Want (7)||durandalzero , bunystomp , MenacingCorpsejack , DodrHaugen , RylexandertheFriendlyGOth , CaptainFruffles , slightlynobody|
Printings View all
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Hero's Downfall occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Hero's Downfall Discussion
1 week ago
Optimator: Hello there! Always gotta love Vilis decks, especially as detailed as this one :D A lot of cards in Maybeboard would fit the deck really well (I just have no idea why you got some cards two or three times there), but I would try to minimalize the maybeboard as much as possible, to not look the deck so chaotic.
I run Vilis in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck.. he doesnt really fit the theme/idea of the deck so well, but Vilis is just too badass to cut out :D (anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be welcomed aswell <3 )
Some cards in deck I would cut, why, and their replacement:
1) Falkenrath Noble - might be a nice card in an aristocrat deck, there isnt really any way to generate->sac big amount of your creatures to abuse Falkenrath Noble as much as possible, also costs . If you want an aristocrat, Bastion of Remembrance could be a possible option aswell. Its cheaper, gives you a 1/1 token and has the same effect as F.Noble. Sure, can't attack or block, but Bastion is also harder to remove since its an Enchantment.
2) Leaden Myr - as you already mentioned, a possible cut for some other mana-rock.. I would switch it for Malakir Rebirth Flip as an another kind of "protection" to either Vilis or another important creature at the moment. With Vilis on board, it even draws you two cards (destroy protection, draw two cards, triggering aristocrat-like effects at instant speed for only ? YES PLEASE! ). In worse case scenario, its also additional land drop. Another possible replacement could be Blood Celebrant, which synergies well with both Vilis and K'riik.
3) Liliana's Contract - would probably fit better in some Demon tribal deck or Conspiracy deck. You also have only six Demons in your deck, all of them with fairly high mana cost. As a better card-draw, I would add either Greed, since it draws you 3 cards with Vilis on board, maybe even Skullclamp that would draw you two cards every turn with Ophiomancer, but Greed would be most likey better option, since there isnt really any other way to generate a lot of tokens every turn.
4) Crux of Fate - no Dragons in your deck, not even so many of them in black in general, so outside of politic reason, other 5CMC or less boardwipes would be better. I personally love Life's Finale, its more expensive than Crux of Fate, but enables you to look and search in target opponent's deck and put up to 3 creatures from their deck into theri graveyard, which would synergize with Chainer, Dementia Master, Geth, Lord of the Vault and some other.
5) Ruinous Path - sorcery speed removal is kinda meh, so something like Hero's Downfall is just better. I personally like Eat to Extinction, even if its more expensive, it helps with top-deck managment (+exiles targeted creature/pw).
6) Cut few swamps for:
6a) Cabal Stronghold - Stronghold is cheap, can tap itself for and can give you plenty of later on.
6b) Emergence Zone - I personally love this utility land, just because it gives you spells Flash whenever you sac it. It doesnt ETB tapped and can help you casting some stuff when you sac it.
7) Chaos Wand - might be a fun card, but doesnt really fit the deck at all. I would cut it for Bontu's Monument to make a lot of your big black stuff cheaper and another small source of life-gain.
8) Big mana-rocks: Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo - I used to run those too, but slowly started replacing them with cheaper mana rocks like Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet. Hedron Archive is okay-ish since it can draw you two cards when you no longer need it, but with Vilis and especially mono-black, there can always be enough card draw.
9) Spellbook - would be fine, if you didnt manage to get your Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal on board, but otherwise its just a dead card that does nothing to you anymore. I would rather replace it with Ivory Tower to get some life back.
10) Curtains' Call - I would replace this one for one of the following:
10a) Devour in Shadow/Vendetta - cheap removal that can potentionaly draws you X cards aswell.
10b) Dismember - depending on how big the creature is, but since you could cast it for only one and draw 4 cards aswell, its decent choice aswell.
10c) Snuff Out - free removal in 99.999% time, which can draws you 4 cards aswell, but not for black creatures, which, depending on your opponent's deck, might be important. Still most likely a better option.
10d) Tragic Slip - goes through indestructible, but requires a creature to die to be maximum effective, which might be sometimes a problem. Still, really good one.
10e) Malicious Affliction - another cheap removal, which is also locked to non-black creatures, but is able to destroy two creatures if a creature died already, so similar issue like Tragic Slip.
10f) Profane Command - I just totally love this card. Its not instant, but can be really flexible in various situations, so I would probably go for this as a replacement.
10g) Erebos's Intervention - similar to Profane Command, it flexile aswell, providing you to remove some indestructible creature and get some life; or serves as a fairly decent graveyard hate at instant speed.
I won't go through cards in maybeboard, even though there is plenty of really nice cards that would work so well in Vilis's deck, like Bolas's Citadel, Doom Whisperer, Font of Agonies and Phyrexian Reclamation and many more, it would just be a little too much, I would say... :D
I hope some of my suggestions will help, gonna upvote this for sure, just because it looks really nice, especially with so many possible cards that could easily fit so well :)
2 months ago
2 months ago
2 months ago
Mythos of Nethroi is trash here, its basically just Murder. There are a bunch of better options in pioneer like Fatal Push, Heartless Act, Hero's Downfall, Cast Down, etc. Maybe even Murderous Cut since you're loading up the graveyard so much.
For more discard outlets, maybe Chart a Course?
2 months ago
"Added Grafted Exoskeleton for some flavor in conjunction with Poisonous Sliver"
Virulent Sliver equipped with Grafted Exoskeleton dealing combat damage would play out in a weird way. First, the Sliver would deal 3 poison counters to a player, then an additional 1 poison counter after that - as the "All Sliver creatures have poisonous 1" is a triggered ability that would resolve after combat damage has been assigned to an opponent. Regardless, this is 100% pure jank and probably not the most efficient strategy to victory. Honestly, Virulent Sliver is designed to work in a format where there can be more than one instance of it on the board IMO. My recommendation is to cut both and put in some more cards that give you more interaction with opponents like Path to Exile, Hero's Downfall etc.
2 months ago
Murder is strictly better than plummet lol. If you are solidly in Golgari, and not just splashing black, the double doesn’t matter.
Abzan Midrange in KTK standard was a 3 color deck that played Hero's Downfall, the mana cost is not an issue if your mana base is set up correctly.
You may be able to block on the ground but not every deck looks to win via combat damage. How do you beat a mill deck who just played a huge Consuming Aberration?
3 months ago
And I already love the deck, for you did the very best thing a brewer can do: Keyword "discard" and search therefrom.
I have a discard deck of my own, you see, and thence I may be able to tell some cards. It is also my oldest deck, and it is here if you so wish to see it.
Thereupon, I have quite the meiny of suggestions:
Ramp would be best for such a mana-hungry complot, withal I would like to recommend a seldomly known card. Ahem. SOL RING?! It's too powerful to ignore, and thence I would most see to its inclusion. Charcoal Diamond is splendid, Mind Stone does quite a bit, Worn Powerstone is slow but leastway worth a mention. K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth does much for any black-based strategy, anent all of the resource life offers.
It is important to be ahead on cards whiles playing a discard deck, so I would try Necropotence. It may exile those discarded, but the amount it draws is ayont worth an inclusion. Greed and Erebos are also fine. Castle Locthwain is essentially a free inclusion, where at Sign in Blood should be here, too.
There are a few cards I trow to be lacking:
Mind Slash is one with which I have tested. What exactly are you sacrificing? You haven't much in terms of fodder, not much to reanimation, and thus it is almost certes a dead card most of the time.
Curse of Fool's Wisdom doesn't do anything, thereupon it is slow to slaughter and expensive to cast.
May fortune betide and may your opponents be hagridden.
3 months ago
Call to the Grave to cause opponents to remove creatures continually (plus it gets rid of hexproof and indestructible creatures). Open the Graves would let you gain zombies if any of your own(non token) zombies happen to die. You could also add some normal removal such as Hero's Downfall. Liliana, Dreadhorde General could provide creature gen as well as card draw. Instead of having 4 Rooftop Storm, you could go down to 1 or 2 and add some tutor spells, since if you draw more than one it becomes a redundant card. Rhystic Tutor is cheaper, but Diabolic Intent and Beseech the Queen are slightly better but cost more. God-Eternal Bontu is nice to have especially if you have tokens to sacrifice for card draw.
Sorry I only suggested black cards!