|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Destroy target creature or planeswalker.
|Want (12)||Verathragna213 , FateDecider , mocaba , zilikken , lookoutscience , warhungerunbound , Mordamen , SpetznazM16 , LEROY_BOJANGLES , danpage3692 , Otakufan64 , geronzin|
Hero's Downfall Discussion
1 day ago
Either max your island count or remove Mystic Sanctuary
Drown in the Loch is pretty bad in pioneer unless you're milling your opponent, IMO
Cut big tef, go up to 3x t3f
Also wants Opt
Regardless of how you run the mana, you'll want Fabled Passage and/or checklands
There's potential, here. Cheers!
2 weeks ago
- Ok so for starters your SB (sideboard) is for games after the 1st game, you want cards that help you solve problems in the match up you are against. For example Crypt Incursion is good against decks that want creatures in their graveyard.
- Shelldock Isle is an amazing card
- Fatal Push push is great when you have cards like Arid Mesa . Its one mana kill a dude. In more causel games it doesn't solve with big dudes. Murder is a card I use a lot in casual play just due to the fact it kills anything. Doom Blade is also good, as well as Hero's Downfall . - Visions of Beyond is a 4 of in every competitive mill deck. However, those decks are a lot faster. 1 mana draw a card is like a worse version of blue. If you have issues getting that card's up side cut it for opt.
- Ashiok, Dream Render helps you mill faster so i might consider putting 2 in the main deck.
- Unmoored Ego its a nice card, My only probelm with it is you want them to just deck themselves. Thats 3 mana 4 cards at best. Its not very effective. Mind Funeral mills more, plus its 4 less lands so they wont be able to get land drops as easily which makes casting spells harder.
- Wall of Lost Thoughts helps keep you alive which is always nice.
- Manic Scribe is a great card as well.
- Being its casuel this card is soooooo tilting Consuming Aberration Its so much fun I might even consider running 3. You are a 22-24 land deck which means you should be able to cast it often enough, and when you do it can be game winning.
- Sphinx's Tutelage can also help your deck.
- Traumatize is funny as well. There is a fish that does the same thing i cant rememebr its name.
- Increasing Confusion Reoccurring Nightmare are also fun.
- Another way to approach this deck is cards like Trepanation Blade + Tormented Soul and Paranoid Delusions and Whispering Madness . It can be a fun deck to play with.
3 weeks ago
No worries fam! So to start I think Tormod's Crypt is just a straight upgrade to Scarab Feast, Cycling is irrelevant, if you sided it in you want to be casting that bad boy. 0 mana to hit the whole graveyard is sooo much better than 1 mana to hit 3 cards. Also Inspiring Call is neat, but not what you want. The lack of Hexproof matters alot, I've been looking up some decklists of the current projected "tier" decks and UW Control especially runs a lot of cards like Cast Down and Detention Sphere that call does not protect against, but Heroic Intervention does. That said, 2 intervention is fine, go up to 3 if you're really worried about removal. Speaking of removal, I would cut Price of Betrayel for either Hero's Downfall or Assassin's Trophy , I personally recommend Trophy. PoB is just way too niche for what you want to be in your sideboard, Trophy can destroy any permanent you want, including the above mentioned enchantments that exile your board. Life Goes On is okay. I Think the difference between it and Feed the Clan are worth considering, 1 mana less doesn't matter nearly as much in a deck that isn't looking to stop you from casting it, so gaining more life more consistantly may be your better play, but it's a judgement call tbh. Lastly I'd prob cut the Mistcutter Hydra and maybe use one other slot for at least 2 Return to Nature . If you want an example of a proper flex slot that card is it, and as much as I L-O-V-E me some Hydras, unfortunately the pro-blue doesn't matter much in the games you'll prob side him into. He still gets hit by Cast Down and Seal Away . Keep the 4 Duress, having those against control or combo is fantastic, and I wasn't sure about QB but since alot of Nexus of Fate decks are running Fog effects, making your damage unstoppable is real good.
3 weeks ago
Alright! Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely be considering these. However, I do have some counterpoints:
This deck doesn't have too much card draw, so having a high land count aids in making sure I hit each land for the turn. If I have any excess, I can just discard them to my effects. I'd love to have Urborg in here, but I haven't been able to get ahold of one. I do intend to add Ransack the Lab over a land, as well.
This deck always just loses to Rest in Peace , or effects of the sort, so Nevinyrral's Disk is fantastic. Same with Ratchet Bomb ; that has efficacy to it. Ugin and Karn are a bit out of budget, however.
Ill-Gotten Gains exists for the political aspect. If I return a Mindslicer , I can kind of control what my opponents do with the cards or they just risk losing them entirely. But I do see your point. Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed would be great, but that's over one-hundred dollars right now. Necromancy is probably my best bet.
Thank you very much!
3 weeks ago
Cut Swamp to go to 38 lands, 39 is too much
Cut swamp for Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth - Upgrade and goes with coffers and non-swamps
Cut swamp for Thespian's Stage - Copy coffers or any utility land like cradle, strip mine, etc...
How are you dealing with artifacts and enchantments? One Rest in Peace and you lose unless you make them proactively discard it which isn't always possible. Some suggestions of budget and nonbudget include....
Ill-Gotten Gains seems like it can backfire a large portion of the time. What is the purpose of it, to put creatures in yards or general recursion? If you're looking for recursion of black cards, Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed can do the trick. General recursion can be down with Yawgmoth's Will . Artifact/Creature recursion can be done with Beacon of Unrest (not suggesting beacon, but just an idea to note).
4 weeks ago
Winding Constrictor continues to be one of my favorite cards. Great to see it prosper in Pioneer!
A few suggestions:
I never liked Dreadhorde Invasion . Even with Constrictor and Hardened Scales it still looks awkward. Nissa, Voice of Zendikar on the other hand is just phenomenal in this deck. I'd play more of those instead.
Both Pelt Collector and Experiment One are awesome early plays for this deck. I'd put in some number (if not all) and take out all Llanowar Elves , Jadelight Ranger , Knight of Autumn and Scavenging Ooze . Knight and Ooze are good sideboard cards though.
Rishkar, Peema Renegade is a super strong 3-drop for the archetype, I wouldn't sleeve up without a few copies.
Since you added white, Anafenza, the Foremost could also go in. She adds counters and does a good job at triggering the 1-drops, plus the exile clause comes up occasionally.
Dromoka's Command is a strong removal spell that also has synergy with your counter theme. Might go down on Fatal Push and Vraska's Contempt . Contempt is just worse than Murderous Rider and Hero's Downfall anyway.
Good luck brewing!
4 weeks ago
Fun idea you have here. Loved playing Thief of Sanity , when it was viable in GRN Standard.
A few suggestions:
Bontu's Last Reckoning is quite horrible here, as you will technically take a turn off when you play it early, giving those aggro decks lots of time to rebuild. I'd play something like Languish instead. If you think you'll get run over by some hyper-aggro, how about Cry of the Carnarium ? Incidentally it also deals with most Aristocrats decks, as they don't get any on-death triggers.
Murderous Rider is mostly better than Hero's Downfall . Both because of the added value after you remove something, but also because it can be a creature in a pinch or when you have no targets (which does come up occasionally). I know it doesn't tigger God-Eternal Kefnet , but that's a small price to pay.
4 weeks ago
Having Anger in your graveyard could be key in getting value out of Magus, Neheb, etc so that you don't need to worry about them surviving a full turn of the table before trying to use them.
Shenanigans is repeatable artifact removal and a 'safe' card to discard.
Hero's Downfall occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.04%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.06%
UB (Dimir): 1.14%