|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Endless Ranks of the Dead
At the beginning of your upkeep, put X 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens onto the battlefield, where X is half the number of Zombies you control, rounded down.
Endless Ranks of the Dead Discussion
18 hours ago
i would chuck in a few cards such as Gauntlet of Power , Eldrazi Monument , Black Market , Reanimate , Caged Sun , Diabolic Tutor , Diabolic Revelation , Mikaeus, the Unhallowed , and my fav if youre running gisa Endless Ranks of the Dead
3 days ago
The Scarab God is my favorite commander! I have a tribal deck and another more control that you can investigate in my profile to get ideas!
In my opinion you should define a strategy for your deck ... You have zombies to ramp in other zombies but very few. You can not just focus on the zombies you're going to create from the cemeteries ...
Hope this helps!
1 week ago
One of the first things I'd do is take out all of the tapped lands that fit your deck budget and replace with ones that can be used right away. This will free up more mana to be used and not put you back a turn. I'm in the process of revamping my mana base to move away from EBT lands.
I also run a zombie deck, its one of my favourite decks to be played in our group. The deck has been reworked with a few commanders, with Grimgrin now running the show and hes fun. Grimgrin, zombie extraordinaire.
If you are wanting to swarm your opponents with The Scarab God imho, you're going to want Endless Ranks of the Dead building up your army every upkeep. Dark Salvation can be a good card too, can help with zombie numbers. Grave Betrayal can be a nice addition for you to build things up at the cost of your opponents armies dieing by your hands or others.
Feel free to get some ideas from my deck, I have a different set up but I'm also going for token swarming and have different cards that might be of interest to help you achieve victories.
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
Looking through your deck I think for the most part it looks doable. There's a few things I would recommend cutting to kind of lower the CMC of the deck, as i noticed you've got a somewhat low land count, along with some cards I feel like are zombie traps.
Army of the Damned is something I see in a hell of a lot of zombie decks, but I never feel like it's ACTUALLY any good. Sure, 13 2/2's is nothing to scoff at, but it's so mana intensive and they enter tapped anyway that it just feels like a trap. Unless you've got a way to cheat the cost, I'd suggest trying something else - Reanimate , Unearth , Living Death , etc. Besides, I think Josu Vess is better for that kind of thing, since his horde has menace and is untapped.
Endless Ranks of the Dead is only situationally good from my experience. It's just a little too slow for me to ever really do much with it.
Empty the Pits is another I'm not too crazy about. Admittedly, self milling can make it do some work, but overall I feel like it's too expensive UNLESS you've got a good GY built up.
As far as suggestions, here's a few thoughts:
Unearth - this beauty is so synergistic with a zombie deck. The biggest problem for zombies in a 60 card format is that all of their lords are at the 3 CMC cost. In EDH we can run them all, and hey, surprise surprise, they're all targetable with this spell!
Reanimate - Basically a second Unearth, but without the 3 CMC restriction.
Flash and Rot Hulk is a pretty disgusting combination. You flash in the hulk and don't pay it's cost and since that's technically part of the resolution of the Flash spell, Hulk's ETB won't trigger until after he's in the graveyard in this instance, meaning you can target him with his own ETB, getting back it and two other zombies, then on his second ETB getting back another three zombos. All at instant speed!
Living Death - Highly, HIGHLY suggest this one. It's both a boardwipe and a finisher, all in one.
Tombstone Stairwell - THis one is a finisher in my deck. A better version of Endless Ranks of the Dead , but with the added benefit of sooooo many death triggers that if you've got a Diregraf Captain or Plague Belcher out, you'll probably win the game shortly after.
Shepherd of Rot - With all the zombies you're running, why not turn them into pure burn? Sure it hurts you too, but you can always run things like...
Whip of Erebos - Lifelink is underrated in black, and being able to reanimate anything in your GY for a burst swing is super nice.
Phyrexian Altar AND Ashnod's Altar - Both of these are great. Not only do they ramp, but with certain boardstates they go infinite for a combo win - Classics like Gravecrawler , Phyrexian Altar , and Diregraf Captain will drain the whole table pretty easily.
Nim Deathmantle - If you're running Ashnod's Altar , you should run this. This can EASILY lead to some infinite combos (with Ashnod's, this, and, say, Grave Titan you've got infinite zombies and also infinite colorless mana).
Bontu's Monument - There's probably a combo hidden with it, but cost reduction and incidental lifegain is always nice!
Talisman of Dominance - I like it better than the Dimir Signet, but running both will give you a little bit of ramp at least.
Graf Harvest - If you're going the combo route you probably don't need this but if you're wanting to just swing, this 1 CMC enchantment does some work in an aggro shell.
3 weeks ago
greyninja, but that was my point... going tall is great. Look at the Eldrazi, look at Ghalta, Primal Hunger , look at literally every Voltron deck in existence. Going tall is absolutely a beautiful archetype (If you can call it that?) and works well. If it didn't, Xenagos, God of Revels and Dragon Throne of Tarkir wouldn't exist.
My issue is that it's a mechanic that requires other cards to use.
Suppose you have out four creatures with Amass, all requiring they die to generate the tokens. You now trade out four fodder creatures for one big token. But what happens when that token dies? Now, you are left boardstate-less.
And WOTC even states in their own video that you can always copy the token to create more Armies. But, as you pointed out, that token is removed from the game due to state based actions as a 0/0 unless you have something else on the board with an anthem affect to bolster it up a bit.
Even still, suppose you manage to have out two or three Army creatures. You are only giving X +1/+1 counters to one at a time, and not divided among Armies that you control as you choose.
I personally LOVE the idea of bringing a neigh endless horde upon my opponents. It's in my name - I'm a Timmy. I love giant spells, giant boards, giant sweepers... but this?
This feels weak. This feels unrefined. This feels... bad.
Look at cards like Endless Ranks of the Dead , Army of the Damned , Josu Vess, Lich Knight , Liliana, the Last Hope , Grave Titan , etc. These are all cards that build literal armies of Zombies. They go wide, not tall. The purpose of an army is to overrun by sheer masses.
If you want this "Army" subtype to succeed, it needs something else. Trample, Menace, Indestructible... something to make it an actual threat on the board.
As of now? A 10+/10+ Army dies to a 2/2 Daggerback Basilisk . Regardless if you think the mechanic is the coolest thing in the world, or the dumbest thing you've ever seen printed on a card, or (more likely) somewhere in between, you have to admit...
- Spending numerous turns and countless spells and resources into a single token, only to die to a 2/2 chump blockers is inherently a poor design.
3 weeks ago
I know the error happens in the "Swaps:" section and below because if I take it out, the deck saves. How do I fix it?
Description: Bad brackets near 'e]] - [[card:Entomb]] - [[card:Diabolic Tutor]] ### **Undecided:** - [[card:Whispering Madness]] - [[card:Endless Ranks of the Dead]] ### **Swaps:** - [[card:Entomb]] for [[card:Diabolic Tutor]] - Take out one [[Swamp]] - [[[' Descriptions are required for non-private decks. They are a great way to indicate what type of feedback you are looking for for your deck
My first non-precon build. Please, check the acquireboard before suggesting anything that is already on my list. I am going for graveyard play and mill with that zombie theme. ### **_Updated: 3/31/19_** ### **Cut:** - [[card:Swamp]] - [[card:Call to the Grave]] - [[card:Paradox Haze]] - [[card:Counterspell]] - [[card:Disdainful Stroke]] - [[card:Swan Song]] - [[card:Negate]] ### **Add:** - [[card:Mana Confluence]] - [[card:Fleshbag Marauder]] - [[card:Unbreathing Horde]] - [[card:Entomb]] - [[card:Diabolic Tutor]] ### **Undecided:** - [[card:Whispering Madness]] - [[card:Endless Ranks of the Dead]] ### **Swaps** - [[card:Entomb]] for [[card:Diabolic Tutor]] - Take out one [[card:Swamp]] - [[card:Mana Confluence]] is already in the decklist. - [[card:Fleshbag Maruder]] for [[card:Disdainful Stroke] - [[card:Unbreathing Horde]] for [[card:Paradox Haze]]
1 month ago
Some cards to consider:
- Bojuka Bog : A must include in any black commander deck.
- Boneknitter : Utility, simple as that.
- Corpse Harvester : Out with the old, in with the new... and a swamp!
- Cryptbreaker : So much value in such a small package. Token generating, card draw, good in the early and late game... what is not to love about this card!
- Death Baron : A zombie lord with some extra punch Sure he doesn't get deathtouch himself, but all those 2/2 tokens that are now 3/3 deathtouch.
- Dread Summons : Ever seen those zombie movies with that big hoard that just keeps coming... that's this card. Gives you a bunch of tokens, and recursion bait for your commander.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead : Card title kind of says it all for this one. Obviously not the best in metas with wrath effects coming down every turn, but shines like a copper penny otherwise.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa : So take one creature, throw it under the bus, and get more...
- Grave Titan : Why this thing isn't a zombie I will never know. 6/6 for 6, deathtouch, and brings two friends with it AND when it attacks.
- Graveborn Muse : Card draw based on zombies, who is also a zombie!
- Infernal Caretaker : Mass recursion, either play them out, or discard them back for more effects.
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : Just an all around strong zombie planeswalker.
- Liliana's Mastery : Zombies + an anthem that won't be a big target for removal.
- Lord of the Undead : A low to the ground zombie lord with recursion on a stick.
- Noxious Ghoul : Sweeps out low toughness cards for things you're already doing. Just great value.
- Relentless Dead : A great early drop, and late game it serves as a sac target + recursion.
- Shepherd of Rot : Yes it hits you, but this can be such a major threat.
- Undead Warchief : Cheaper zombies, and bigger zombies. All in one convenient package.
- Awaken the Erstwhile : Disruption, plain and simple. Sure it hurts your hand too, but you are the one with all the zombie based anthems.
- Victim of Night : Doomblade 2.0, but hits black creatures.
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier : You'll have so many tokens kicking around to exploit that she's just a straight tutor, and if she ever hits the graveyard just use her again with Scarab God.
- Fleshbag Marauder : Hurts them a lot more than you, and enter the battlefield abilities are great with Scarab around.
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight : Solid 4/5 Menace for 4, got the extra 6 mana though and he brings friends who also have menace.
- Wonder : Flying zombies... yep, that's scary.
- Pull from Tomorrow : Nice draw on an instant with the added benefit to pitch something for Scarab to target.
- Price of Fame : Legendary killer + Surveil 2... love it.
- Sinister Sabotage : Counterspell + Surveil... love it too.
- Paradox Haze : You've got a couple effects that trigger on upkeep, why not double up?
- The deck currently seems to be going in two directions, you have a large zombie theme which I love, but you also have a minor mill theme which seems out of place.
- Advanced Stitchwing : Slow for what it gives, even on the bounce back it comes back tapped.
- Apprentice Necromancer : This is one I'm on the fence suggesting, it's a one use for one turn only.
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born : This guy is beast, but he works best in a deck build around him.
- Lamplighter of Selhoff : Slow, for his effect.
- Merciless Eternal : He's not bad, just a lot better things to include in the 3 cost bracket.
- Phenax, God of Deception : Love this guy, really do, but he's out of place here because he's a mill guy who loves big butts.
- Relentless Skaabs : This guy does everything you don't want as he hurts your graveyard in order to even hit play.
- Servant of Tymaret : Slow with high cost. In order to make the best use of him you have to be attacking, and if the way isn't clear that means a 3 mana tax just for 1 life on each opponent.
- Spiteful Returned : Don't hate it, but better things out there.
- Stitchwing Skaab : Suffers from the same as Advanced Stitchwing.
- Undead Alchemist : This guy can go either way, but the way I look at him is generally people have more cards in their decks than life, so it's easier to take out their life.
- Vindictive Lich : This guy is fun, though for his cost there is a lot more out there.
- Exotic Orchard : Risky unless you know your playgroup always has one of your colors, otherwise it's just a colorless and a swamp or island would be just as good.
- Leechridden Swamp : Slows you down for a minor effect.
- Path of Ancestry : Phenax is the only other god creature, so even if you keep him in it's very slow for the benefit it probably will never get the chance to give.
- Coat of Arms : I love this card, I really do, but it's a calculated risk and I find zombies are usually too slow of it. Run up against a goblin or elf deck and this will do more for your opponent.
- Mindcrank : This is another I'm on the fence with as it pairs really well with Scarab.
- Vanquisher's Banner : Good card, though you're not casting all those tokens so you're only getting a bit of a benefit from it.
- Liliana Vess : Good card, out of place in this deck unless you are going heavier into the mill.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited : Just completely out of place for zombie tribal.
- Glimpse the Unthinkable : One of those mill cards, it suffers as a one of.
- Rise from the Grave : Expensive for effect.
- Ruthless Disposal : This isn't bad in this deck, but compared to Morbid Slip for example it lacks that added shine.
- Curse of Disturbance : So much politics, this is VERY meta dependent as to if players fall for the bait.
- Quest for the Gravelord : This can work out, but more often then not stuff isn't dying fast enough or it just gets pinged with early removal.
- Search for Azcanta Flip: More at home in a non-creature strategy.
- Torment of Scarabs : Most people can play around this with not too much fuss, and it gives all the choice to them. I'd prefer some targeted removal.
Endless Ranks of the Dead occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%