|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Blade of the Bloodchief
Artifact — Equipment
Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on equipped creature. If equipped creature is a Vampire, put two +1/+1 counters on it instead.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (27)||brokendwarf , Shiromakuro , kpral , Azdranax , Tiddilywinkus , robbnoble , Kvothe1115 , , Unjust_DiabIo , frederiklw , bakunet , angesoir , killstars , sonnet666 , Reliva , brentkc49 , Melmo , rikertchu , MattN7498 , Riku580 , mziter501 , Unlife , Mortiferus_Rosa , golgarigirl , hardhitta71194 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , pskinn01|
|Want (2)||Turtlelover73 , Ariumlegion|
Blade of the Bloodchief Discussion
4 days ago
I worry about your vulnerability to board wipes and Vandalblast.
Maybe settle on a tribe (Cat, Human, Kor), add a Stoneforge Masterwork, and then trim cards so you have some reactivity and defense (say 10-15 cards) including spot removal, exile effects, your own instant-speed pseudo-wipes (like Comeuppance), and some draw (maybe Inheritance and Slate of Ancestry)?
Have fun voltroning!
2 weeks ago
Hi! Sorry I've taken so long to respond!
Not sure if your going to go Vampire tribal or go with Elenda. I'm really interested in Elenda so I'll give some suggestions for her.
- Token generators: Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle, Legion's Landing Flip, Grave Titan, Secure the Wastes, Anointed Procession Stuff like that.
- Sac outlets: Ashnod's Altar, Yahenni, Undying Partisan, Viscera Seer. These are important for sacing on your own terms to buff Elenda before you sac her. Responding to a board wipe this way can be crucial.
- Blade of the Bloodchief will get lots of extra counters on Elenda when sacking creatures.
- Cathars' Crusade will buff all your creatures a ton. If the all enter at the same time, the all see eachother when they enter, getting you huge creatures out of your 1/1 Elenda triggers.
- Gift of Immortality great recursion for Elenda.
- Hatred great way to buff Elenda before a sac/attck. She has lifelink to gain all the life back.
- Mentor of the Meek will get card draw off of all the tokens.
- Planar Void is an interesting route to take wioth Elenda. Self graveyard hate. Not sure about this.
- Supernatural Stamina Buffs Elenda and brings her back
- Well of Lost Dreams draw cards off the life gain.
For vampire tribal you'll want Edgar Markov.
2 weeks ago
Individual Card Comments:
- Wayfarer's Bauble - Too Slow. Each time you recur it, it still costs 2.
- Contagion Engine How many cards can be affected by proliferate? If low, I'm not sure it is worth it.
- Spine of Ish Sah - Technically it goes to the yard, then the return to hand trigger goes on the stack. Find a way to bring it back to the battlefield before the bounce trigger resolves. Sculpting Steel copying Spine will cause Steel to come back to hand when sacrificed. Very useful.
- Impact Resonance - Really specific damage. I think it removes things after you need them to be removed.
- Unstable Obelisk - Even if you bring it back, it still costs 7 mana to remove something.
- Word of Seizing - Mindslaver is a good card because it is recurrable in your deck. This isn't. There are other gain control cards that are more useful. This and mindslaver both require you to play someone else's deck, which is a gamble whether it is worth it.
- Conjurer's Closet - How many ETB creatures do you have? Is this worth it?
- Alhammarret's Archive, Reliquary Tower, and Thought Vessel - I don't think you have enough draw to really abuse any of these. For the Archive, do you have any lifegain sources?
- Darksteel Colossus - This will never hit the graveyard, so you will always be hard casting it. Not sure if that works with your gameplan. The shuffle effect is a replacement effect, not a trigger so it doesn't use the stack.
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon - Meh, only works well with high CMC artifacts, and most of the time you'll be killing your own stuff.
- Kuldotha Forgemaster - What are you going to tutor for this that will win you the game?
- Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient - Good card, but copying what activated ability will win you the game?
- Scrap Mastery - This card is gold, and is a definite win condition in your deck. Make sure you have a way to preemptively sacrifice all of your creatures/discard your hand/mill yourself for most of your deck before resolving this.
- Unwinding Clock - Good card in this deck, but how many artifacts with tap abilities can you exploit using it?
- Karn, Silver Golem - I would only keep this for any combos associated with it. In a vacuum, he's just a good blocker.
- Skyshaper - Is create for the alpha strike single shot, I've got several big ass creatures or a shitload of tiny ones, but other than to give Blightsteel Colossus evasion, is this card super impactful?
- Phyrexia's Core, and Throne of Geth - I wouldn't consider either of these sacrifice outlets, because they are single use per rotation, and the Core costs mana. If you want sacrifice outlets I'd shoot for Ashnod's Altar, Altar of Dementia, and things that say "Sacrifice a creature:."
- Dormant Volcano - From seeing it in use, seems like you only want to see it really early on.
- Carnage Altar - I know you're in red and draw is at a premium, but 3 mana for a card is not the best.
- Too much Ramp
- Not enough Draw and Removal
- Does the deck work without Daretti? If no, find a way to protect him, or other artifact recursion sources.
- You WinCon category doesn't really have many cards that win you the game, just really impactful cards. Look for combos, or Insurrection like cards, or the dreaded MLD type effects. Basically cards that, if it resolves, win you the game.
- You have a lot of categories with one or two cards in it. I'd clean those up into more general things to get a more clear idea for what you're trying to do.
- You should probably be running more utility lands.
- Think about adding some sacrifice outlets. If this is a recursion/reanimation deck, you need to be able to kill shit when you want to.
- Red is really good at making temporary tokens, specifically artifact tokens, of things. Might be worth looking into.
- I try not to include lands in categories because they aren't abusable enough to be consistent. It gives you false category numbers. If you have 10 draw cards, but 3 are lands, you really don't have enough draw. But that's just my opinion.
- I'd try to find more "to the battlefield" recursion cards, instead of to your hand. Recasting those cards every turn causes mana problems. The "to hand" effects are still good though, just slower.
- Isochron Scepter would be good with some of the spells you have like Scrap Mastery, and Trash for Treasure.
- Tuktuk the Explorer and Feldon of the Third Path go well together, but the fact that the artifact is legendary sucks.
- Turning nonartifact cards into artifacts using effects like Liquimetal Coating is an interesting direction to look into, and there are a few cards that do similar things. Probably several useful combos to do with that. Especially if you ever get the Daretti emblem.
- Do you ever plan on getting a Daretti Emblem? Obviously you would like it, but to you, is it worth dedicating some card slots into cheating out loyalty counters to get him to 10? The problem is that he will very rarely get to 10 through use of his +2 alone. And even with Contagion Engine, people will attack him before he's at 8. Just something to think about. If you get the emblem, you've very likely won the game, so that can definitely be a win condition to pursue.
- "Control" is too ambiguous. Chaos Warp, and Steel Hellkite are removal, and Liquimetal Coating is protection(?).
- Red's draw is usually the looting (draw a card, then discard a card) and pillaging (discard a card, then draw a card) effects. These also aren't great, but using artifact recursion, cards like Mind Stone become very good draw effects if you can recur them every turn/rotation. Other abusable draws are Tamiyo's Journal, and Seer's Sundial. It might suck to give other people cards, but Howling Mine may also be worth it.
- It seems counter-intuitive, but Vandalblast might be useful, especially with Scrap Mastery.
- Are there more cards that let you cheat out artifacts from your hand like Copper Gnomes, if so that sounds like an interesting direction as well. Sneak Attack comes to mind, but
- Pentavus + Blade of the Bloodchief + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite mana.
- Nim Deathmantle + Myr Battlesphere/Pentavus + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite tokens
- Combos dont have to be infinite. If you can find a way to kill and recur Scuttling Doom Engine every turn/rotation, Id consider that a combo. Anything that puts a decent clock on everyone to answer your shit is a combo to me.
3 weeks ago
no offense, but "quite successful" in casual does not mean successful at a modern fnm. don't use fetchlands in a mono color deck.
if you're willing to cut Vampire Nocturnus, adding white and red will give you better sideboard options as well as more "lords".
1 month ago
My friend has been running essentially the same list of Vampires since OG Zendikar through Innistrad, with a couple additions from Ixalan. Based on how difficult the deck is to beat, there's definitely some recommendations I can make.
A couple Blade of the Bloodchief gets absolutely backbreaking. Slap one on an Aetherborn or Nighthawk and you'll see.
Viscera Seer is a fantastic 1-drop; free sac outlet and top deck fixing through scry. Pseudo-card advantage.
1 month ago
I'd cut all the Ordeals except for the green and blue ones. Dealing 3 damage, gaining 10 life o discard someone two cards is not as good as drawing or ramping two lands. Now you can also remove the creatures with heroism.
You can also swap Forced Adaptation for Ring of Kalonia or any other of those five rings or Blade of the Bloodchief.
Hardened Scales and Winding Constrictor are no brainers.
Also Hadana's Climb and Cathars' Crusade are bananas.
Give / Take an amazing drawing spell.
Gilder Bairn improved Vorel that can also double counters on planeswalkers.
If you can afford a Kalonian Hydra, a powerhouse here.
With Cavern Harpy, Horned Kavu, Fleetfoot Panther or similar creatures and Ramos you can produce a ton of counters and mana, if you have two of different colors your can go infinite. It's a good idea here to use creatures with two or more colors to get more counters from Ramos.
1 month ago
I play Elenda, the Dusk Rose in my Edgar Markov deck. In my opinion she works insanely good with Blade of the Bloodchief.Tripling the amount of counters/tokens, and you can also use it with Ashnods Altar/Skullclamp (not only for Elenda of course).
Also maybe you want to add Teferi's Protection for your board and especially tokens to be protected...
1 month ago
Blade of the Bloodchief is interesting. I'll try it out soon.