Crux of Fate
Choose one —
- Destroy all Dragon creatures
- Destroy all non-Dragon creatures.
|Have (2)||CampbellStev , metalmagic|
|Want (3)||Lithormane , bunystomp , MenacingCorpsejack|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Rare|
|Fate Reforged (FRF)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Crux of Fate occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Crux of Fate Discussion
6 days ago
Have you considered Isochron Scepter? You already have several cards that fit it, and it's a key card for several infinite combos, most notably with Dramatic Reversal. I'd recommend cutting Crux of Fate since you don't have many dragons and you already have several board wipes.
Gilded Lotus is a bit slow, I'd recommend replacing it with Arcane Signet. Same for Commander's Sphere, I'd cut that and use Mind Stone instead. Your commander is 4 CMC, so ramping on turn 2 is extremely important.
I can see you're trying to abuse ETB effects, but Ravenous Chupacabra can be a bit underwhelming on it's own. Clever Impersonator has the same CMC, and it can become any nonland permanent on the board.
1 week ago
Optimator: Hello there! Always gotta love Vilis decks, especially as detailed as this one :D A lot of cards in Maybeboard would fit the deck really well (I just have no idea why you got some cards two or three times there), but I would try to minimalize the maybeboard as much as possible, to not look the deck so chaotic.
I run Vilis in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck.. he doesnt really fit the theme/idea of the deck so well, but Vilis is just too badass to cut out :D (anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be welcomed aswell <3 )
Some cards in deck I would cut, why, and their replacement:
1) Falkenrath Noble - might be a nice card in an aristocrat deck, there isnt really any way to generate->sac big amount of your creatures to abuse Falkenrath Noble as much as possible, also costs . If you want an aristocrat, Bastion of Remembrance could be a possible option aswell. Its cheaper, gives you a 1/1 token and has the same effect as F.Noble. Sure, can't attack or block, but Bastion is also harder to remove since its an Enchantment.
2) Leaden Myr - as you already mentioned, a possible cut for some other mana-rock.. I would switch it for Malakir Rebirth Flip as an another kind of "protection" to either Vilis or another important creature at the moment. With Vilis on board, it even draws you two cards (destroy protection, draw two cards, triggering aristocrat-like effects at instant speed for only ? YES PLEASE! ). In worse case scenario, its also additional land drop. Another possible replacement could be Blood Celebrant, which synergies well with both Vilis and K'riik.
3) Liliana's Contract - would probably fit better in some Demon tribal deck or Conspiracy deck. You also have only six Demons in your deck, all of them with fairly high mana cost. As a better card-draw, I would add either Greed, since it draws you 3 cards with Vilis on board, maybe even Skullclamp that would draw you two cards every turn with Ophiomancer, but Greed would be most likey better option, since there isnt really any other way to generate a lot of tokens every turn.
4) Crux of Fate - no Dragons in your deck, not even so many of them in black in general, so outside of politic reason, other 5CMC or less boardwipes would be better. I personally love Life's Finale, its more expensive than Crux of Fate, but enables you to look and search in target opponent's deck and put up to 3 creatures from their deck into theri graveyard, which would synergize with Chainer, Dementia Master, Geth, Lord of the Vault and some other.
5) Ruinous Path - sorcery speed removal is kinda meh, so something like Hero's Downfall is just better. I personally like Eat to Extinction, even if its more expensive, it helps with top-deck managment (+exiles targeted creature/pw).
6) Cut few swamps for:
6a) Cabal Stronghold - Stronghold is cheap, can tap itself for and can give you plenty of later on.
6b) Emergence Zone - I personally love this utility land, just because it gives you spells Flash whenever you sac it. It doesnt ETB tapped and can help you casting some stuff when you sac it.
7) Chaos Wand - might be a fun card, but doesnt really fit the deck at all. I would cut it for Bontu's Monument to make a lot of your big black stuff cheaper and another small source of life-gain.
8) Big mana-rocks: Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo - I used to run those too, but slowly started replacing them with cheaper mana rocks like Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet. Hedron Archive is okay-ish since it can draw you two cards when you no longer need it, but with Vilis and especially mono-black, there can always be enough card draw.
9) Spellbook - would be fine, if you didnt manage to get your Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal on board, but otherwise its just a dead card that does nothing to you anymore. I would rather replace it with Ivory Tower to get some life back.
10) Curtains' Call - I would replace this one for one of the following:
10a) Devour in Shadow/Vendetta - cheap removal that can potentionaly draws you X cards aswell.
10b) Dismember - depending on how big the creature is, but since you could cast it for only one and draw 4 cards aswell, its decent choice aswell.
10c) Snuff Out - free removal in 99.999% time, which can draws you 4 cards aswell, but not for black creatures, which, depending on your opponent's deck, might be important. Still most likely a better option.
10d) Tragic Slip - goes through indestructible, but requires a creature to die to be maximum effective, which might be sometimes a problem. Still, really good one.
10e) Malicious Affliction - another cheap removal, which is also locked to non-black creatures, but is able to destroy two creatures if a creature died already, so similar issue like Tragic Slip.
10f) Profane Command - I just totally love this card. Its not instant, but can be really flexible in various situations, so I would probably go for this as a replacement.
10g) Erebos's Intervention - similar to Profane Command, it flexile aswell, providing you to remove some indestructible creature and get some life; or serves as a fairly decent graveyard hate at instant speed.
I won't go through cards in maybeboard, even though there is plenty of really nice cards that would work so well in Vilis's deck, like Bolas's Citadel, Doom Whisperer, Font of Agonies and Phyrexian Reclamation and many more, it would just be a little too much, I would say... :D
I hope some of my suggestions will help, gonna upvote this for sure, just because it looks really nice, especially with so many possible cards that could easily fit so well :)
1 month ago
Hey, well done with precon upgrade on a budget.
Scion of the Ur-Dragon is one of the best Dragons for Dragon tribal being a repeatable Dragon tutor. Scion could replace Wardscale Dragon. Scion's ability to change into a Dragon can be done at instant speed which means during combat you can change into different Dragons whenever there's a stop at a combat phase.
Scion's ability goes well with Savage Ventmaw, Teneb, the Harvester and Bladewing the Risen which is a three Dragon combo to end up with Scion and cheat Teneb/Bladewing on the battlefield. Then if Teneb lives he can reanimate other Dragons you tutor for with Scion. Savage is part of the combo because you tutor for him first with Scion, before you attack which then gives you 6 mana to activate Scion three times during combat. The combo takes 11 mana therefore Savage making 6 mana means you only need 5 mana for other sources. Would you like me to explain this combo?
Consider cutting a few of the least good Dragons for more Dragon support? Rhythm of the Wild and Temur Ascendancy are in the maybeboard and they could replace two Dragons such as Vorosh, the Hunter and Darigaaz Reincarnated. The repeatable effects of Rhythm and Ascendancy are much better than what these Dragons can provide. Faeburrow Elder is also in the maybeboard and it's a much better ramp source than Mana Geode. Crux of Fate and Eerie Ultimatum are also in the maybeboard they could replace Spit Flame and Palace Siege.
There's 20 lands here of the 36 that will always ETB tapped which is a lot. The Tri lands on a budget are worth always ETB tapped, the rest are not. My advice is cut the Bounce lands and Scry lands for other types of lands. The combination of lots of Tri lands and Bounce lands is not good; play either one, not both in the same manabase.
Exotic Orchard is budget staple Rainbow land. By adding a few more basic lands then the 5 Battle lands are budget options since they have interaction with lots of basic lands. Cinder Glade, Smoldering Marsh, Sunken Hollow, Prairie Stream, Canopy Vista, can get each of these for less than $2 at TCGPlayer with Vista being the most expensive.
Manabase upgrades to consider:
- Add 2x Forest > Temple of Malady and Temple of Triumph
- Exotic Orchard > Temple of Epiphany
- Cinder Glade > Gruul Turf
- Smoldering Marsh > Rakdos Carnarium
- Prairie Stream > Orzhov Basilica
- Sunken Hollow > Izzet Boilerworks
You have Farseek and it can search for one of these Battle lands which is helpful for color fixing.
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Thanks for looking at the mana. I'm not sure about it since I haven't played yet (and next get together is probably in a month or so), but I think you make a valid case with the tapped lands. I want to try out the new MDFCs and I found out i have the U/R and U/B duals lying around. I've swapped them and Interplanar Beacon for Temple of Deceit, Vivid Crag and Creeping Tar Pit. What others would you recommend cutting for more basics?
Perhaps you're right on the 3cmc artifacts too, even though I'd say commander's sphere is decent because it cycles for free when you don't need it anymore. I might add Rakdos Signet and cut Chromatic Lantern.
True that's a combo. I don't think I'll run it beause I don't have the cards currently interesting loop for sure though!
That play pattern appeals, so maybe I'll find room for it later. A bit of randomness like that can make games more fun
Beacon is in now :)
The idea with most artifacts is that they either ramp, proliferate or benefit from proliferation (see the section Card by Card). Which other cards do you feel are part of the subtheme but don't contribute?
If you're talking about Saheeli, Tezzeret and (now x2) Daretti: I think the Business Artifacts in the list (the chain veil, contagion clasp/engine and lithoform engine) are worth fetching / copying even just on their own, but maybe your idea is they don't do enough?
Let me know because I'm curious what you think on the topic, if you have suggestions to spice up the artifact theme I'd gladly hear them!
1 month ago
9 taplands, but your manabase would actually benefit from more basics. Most of those should be basics. Interplanar Beacon is pretty decent, too.
1 month ago
How does this run? My friend has been running an oppressive Rakdos deck and Changelings seem like a fun way around it. Have you considering running more tribe specific good stuff like Crux of Fate , Whelming Wave , and Serpent of Yawning Depths
Super great idea!
1 month ago
Ah okay, I assumed the maybeboard were cards you were only looking at, my bad!
In that case you have a bunch of stuff that definitely could fit in the deck. For those three you mentioned Exploration is very good and can be slotted in over Rampant Growth, Canopy Vista/Smoldering Marsh can just be replaced by a Forest/Mountain, and definitely take a Sol Ring if you have a spare one.
As for others, here's the most notable you have on your maybeboard:
- Asceticism - If it resolves your dragons are almost invulnerable outside of stuff like deathtouch/boardwipes
- Smothering Tithe - Could help with ramp
- Dragonlord Ojutai - Great card advantage with hexproof half of the time
- Glorybringer - Might not be as strong as some other options but that exert can effectively be a removal spell every other turn
- Nicol Bolas, the Ravager Flip - Great value all around and if you manage to transform him you basically win
- Rishkar's Expertise - Pricy but casting it will probably mean refilling your hand and getting a free dragon which covers its cost
- Cyclonic Rift - EDH staple and one of the best boardwipes in the format, wipes all of your opponents' creatures, artifacts, walkers, etc
- Force of Vigor - Pretty good removal that can be manaless
- Teferi's Protection - Protects your entire side from boardwipes
For boardwipes you already have Crux of Fate and Balefire Dragon. Throwing in Cyclonic Rift would definitely be a good choice. The issue with boardwipes in decks like these is that you don't want to reset your own boardstate, but that's why the three I mentioned are so good because they only affect the opponents. Cyclonic Rift also dodges indestructable as it's a bounce effect rather than a destroy.
In my opinion, counters are generally not very effective in decks like these. It's generally more effective to run cards like Rhythm of the Wild and Asceticism as they're not one-shots, while also having the side-benefit of opponents using their counters on your other opponents instead. If you wanted to pick up additional effects like those if counters/removal are rampant in your group, I personally like Steely Resolve and Conqueror's Flail.
If you want more spot removal, I definitely recommend picking up a Path to Exile. With it, Swords to Plowshares, and Anguished Unmaking you should be good for spot removal unless you wanted to splurge on an Assassin's Trophy.
I'm unsure about Ramos, Dragon Engine. Since you're in a more casual environment they might be okay, but unless you have something like Descendants' Path down they're not really worthwhile. If you're wanting to go out and buy a fairly expensive creature, by far the best purchase you could make is Kaalia of the Vast IMO.
5 months ago
BLK-Swordsman ok, as far as I understand, PMs are an upgraded feature, so I'll try to reply here in the most efficient way. I'm going to assume you've bought the 2017 Dragon precon like I did, which is a good start. Scion decks play combo. You put dragons in the graveyard to one-shot your opponent. The Ur-Dragon is spawning dragons, as a result it's a casual deck. First things first would be upgrading the mana base. If your budget allows you to, grab 5 fetches (10 really isn't necessary). I guess the enemy fetches are better but I run the allied for budget reasons. Play the 5 triomes. Even without fetches I'm sure they're good enough but since I run the triomes with fetches I find them spectacular. I used to run 10 shock lands but someone did the math for me and if you play the triomes, 5 allied check lands + 5 enemy shocks are just as good. The only dragon which is also budget that is mandatory is Atarka. Scourge of the Throne is incredible too. You can do pretty much what you want when it comes to the rest. I recommend Lathliss, Utvara Hellkite, Silumgar. Terror of the Peaks is the new M21 dragon and it's huge. Ones I do run for personal affiliation but don't recommend playing are Dromoka, Kolaghan and Ojutai. I think the dragon package is where your personality shines so do what you want with it! I'd recommend having around 25 dragons, not 30+. Ramping is a priority, consider that with The Ur-Dragon ability, dragons start coming at 4CMC, potentially turn 3 with some ramp. Instead of mana rock, prioritize spells between 2 and 4CMC that lets you fetch a specific land type (to grab triomes or shocks). Mirari's Wake is incredible. I'm not a fan of ramp on bodies except for some exceptions like Faeburrow Elder (2 mana at worst),Goreclaw and obviously Morophon which makes our commander 4 mana. For a first version of the deck, Dragonlord's Servant and Dragonspeaker Shaman are good alternatives. Fill the slots with cheap mana rocks, around 2-3CMC, no more (except for Prismatic Geoscope which is incredible with the right mana base). All star artifacts are Herald's Horn, Chromatic Lantern, Dragon's Hoard for obvious reason and The Great Henge, the latter which can enter on turn 4 at the earliest thanks to our beefy dragons. Since they're heavy on CMC, haste-enablers are great. Check out the ones I run, they're all cheap I'm pretty sure, like the two boots (Dragon Tempest is the best card). You mustn't run out of gas so drawing cards is good, especially attached on ramp spells like Kiora. Again, most of my draw spells are cheap and either ramp or grant haste so take those too (like Temur Ascendancy). Rhystic Study is going to be reprinted, better that than Painful Truths for example. Depending on your meta you can choose the number of removals to run. Since we play big spells and rarely have open mana I'd recommend using pseudo-removals with synergy instead of hard removal like Utter End. As in removal on bodies, like Glorybringer, Sarkhan's Unsealing, Silumgar, Atarka. I run very few board wipes but they're one-sided and cheap (Crux of Fate and Earthquake). That should be it. In short, choose your dragon package. Play A LOT of ramp. Fill the rest with haste-enablers and card draws, even better when a card fulfill two roles.