|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Pontiff of Blight
Creature — Zombie Cleric
Extort (Whenever you cast a spell, you may pay (W/B). If you do, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life.)
Other creatures you control have extort. (If a creature has multiple instances of extort, each triggers separately.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Pontiff of Blight Discussion
1 day ago
1 day ago
2 weeks ago
I've played a more creature-based version of this commander, so while my suggestions may be skewed towards creatures, I hope they'll be helpful at the very least.
- Prized Amalgam
- Necromancer's Stockpile
- Vengeful Pharaoh
- Noosegraf Mob
- Dark Salvation
2 weeks ago
I'm in the process of revamping my Ayli deck into a tribal deck and your decklist gives me some great ideas so thank you for that. Welcome back to magic :) Some feedback for you:
I think instead of categories named "ramp" and "mana rocks", they should be "ramp" and "draw". This will give you a better idea of how many draw spells you actually have, which (in my opinion) you don't have enough for such a low mana curve. And on the ramp side of things, I'd stick in 2-3 more.
More commander protection.
Considerations for adds
- Westvale Abbey Flip - Good alternative win-con and an okay token generator if you have nothing else to do
- Wrath of God / Fumigate / etc - OG wrath, and a great on-theme wrath. I'd recommend more than just the one you have but it depends on playgroup. Also casting this after you get the Battalion trigger from Frontline Medic makes me foam at the mouth
- Suture Priest - second cousin of the soul sisters
- Pious Evangel Flip - third cousin,twice removed in-law of the soul sisters
- Sun Titan - Double recursion, and you have so many targets with your curve
- Dawn of the Dead - What's nice about this recursion option is you aren't forced to exile the creature if it'd somehow leave the battlefield through other means cough Ayli cough
- Knight of the White Orchid - ramp
- Wayfarer's Bauble - ramp
- Sword of the Animist - ramp. You'll most likely sac the creature away before combat resolves anyway.
- Pristine Talisman - ramp, lifegain. Best of the bunch of 3 CMCs for this deck. Possibly 1-2 additional 3/4 CMC* rocks.
- Oath of Lieges - ramp
- Swiftfoot Boots - protection
- Gift of Immortality - protection. I love comboing with this and a high toughness creature although it can also be used for Ayli
- Darksteel Plate - protection
- Trading Post - great utility for this deck
- Heliod, God of the Sun - Not the best God out there but very thematic for the deck
- Viridian Longbow - turns Ayli into a sniper with her Deathtouch
- Illusionist's Bracers - double up Ayli's abilities
- Custodi Soulbinders - big boy in multiplayer
- Mikaeus, the Unhallowed - if you have a lot of non-humans this could go a long way
- Archangel of Thune / Cliffhaven Vampire / Vizkopa Guildmage - weaponize that lifegain
- Pontiff of Blight - I see him in your sideboard--I think his ability is great for this deck and he's got a big butt
- Phyrexian Processor - with enough lifegain you could make X pretty large. Combos great with Children of Korlis
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel - this guy can damn near win the game for you if you can recur him enough times
- Tree of Perdition - somewhat gimmicky but you can see its potential with Ayli
- Any of the three Elspeth Planeswalkers are solid in this deck.
- draw - I'm struggling with this myself. Ambition's Cost, Greed, Necropotence, Jar of Eyeballs, Dark Prophecy, Mind's Eye, Disciple of Bolas, Harvester of Souls, Promise of Power
Considerations for removal
- Exorcist - I'm not a fan because it's only black, that's too restrictive
- Orzhov Signet - *my issue with the signet is that it's CMC is 2 which conflicts with Ayli. I'd rather get slightly more value out of a 3 CMC the turn after
- Orzhov Pontiff - Ability seems minimal at best but maybe i have tunnel vision
- Hidden Stockpile - Maybe switch to Bitterblossom if price isn't a concern. Or, if you add some of the other token generators maybe this one won't be needed anyway
- Martyr of Sands - Not nearly enough card draw to get a huge benefit out of this
3 weeks ago
I would highly recommend these zombies to help out your deck flow better and faster and maybe offer new strategies. Gravecrawler, Cryptbreaker this guy with a zombie horde can be crazy for draws. Diregraf Colossus as with him out he starts making lots of tokens very quickly and works well with discard and mill types. Relentless Dead, Highborn Ghoul, Korlash, Heir to Blackblade, Geralf's Messenger, Pontiff of Blight, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed, Unbreathing Horde are some good base like zombies to work with that I can offer up right off the bat. Hope these suggestions help!
1 month ago
1 month ago
If you're commited to the lifegain theme, I've been a big fan of 'extort' since I started playing MtG.
Pontiff of Blight fits the theme, and it has a high toughness. I don't know who you'd be playing with, and how they feel about combos, but if you're going to be heavy on lifegain Sanguine Bond gives your creatures psuedo double strike, and you can throw Exquisite Blood in there too, just for the lols.
I don't imagine Juniper Order Ranger will do much other than eat removal, but if you like those sort of creatures, I would suggest Knight of the Reliquary, it also has fringe upside, in that you can sac a basic plains to grab a Canopy Vista, or Overgrown Tomb if you need the fixing.
Also, lifegain deck, no Serra Ascendant? Lol. For some reason it isn't banned in Commander, and if you ever drop it on turn one, the reaction from your opponents is priceless.
1 month ago
Death Grasp is not modern legal, so I would recommend changing that if you want to play it at an FNM or such.
The cards that you are running are good, except that you areceived very 2, 3, and 4 drop heavy. I would spread it out so you have a couple higher cost cards also. Pontiff of Blight could be good. Additionally, you have no 1 drops, but a card like Authority of the Consuls would be handy to slow your opponent and gain you some more life.
You don't have a clear endgame, aside from slowly draining your opponent, so something like Archangel of Thune, (though a bit pricey) could help you close out a game quickly by buffing all of your creatures.