|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
|Dragon's Maze (DGM)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Pontiff of Blight
Creature — Zombie Cleric
Extort (Whenever you cast a spell, you may pay (W/B). If you do, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life.)
Other creatures you control have extort. (If a creature has multiple instances of extort, each triggers separately.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (31)||Tiddilywinkus , ironax , Lucretian , TheAlmostHero , Va1mar , DrLitebur , Yawkcorb , miracle , mziter501 , NCN946 , duff87 , vashaclarens , sonnet666 , mazrimtaim , rakdos24 , MattN7498 , raymaverick97 , Ashy , redlegs_17 , EliGjerdingen , switchkill65 , geazykagar , Dr_Jay , Nemesis , DarkMagician , Nebman227 , Pelli , Mousemke , jstn.mrrtt , Justinaut , Pylioz|
|Want (2)||brokendwarf , pskinn01|
Pontiff of Blight Discussion
2 days ago
Stuff to consider adding:Pontiff of BlightSuture PriestPristine TalismanBygone BishopHour of RevelationAuthority of the ConsulsMortifyVizkopa GuildmageDrana's EmissaryCliffhaven VampireAyli, Eternal PilgrimBlood Baron of VizkopaVampire NighthawkMavren Fein, Dusk ApostleDark ImpostorAdanto VanguardBishop of the BloodstainedMalakir BloodwitchBloodline NecromancerAnowon, the Ruin SagePatron of the VeinBloodlord of VaasgothVoldaren Pariah FlipButcher of MalakirUrge to FeedDecree of PainUnderworld ConnectionsCostly PlunderChampion of DuskMorbid CuriosityAltar's ReapDusk Legion ZealotDiabolic Tutor
Stuff I'd take out:Basilica ScreecherDauntless AvenHarvester of SoulsSilverblade PaladinTithe DrinkerYosei, the Morning StarConqueror's Galleon FlipHedron ArchiveMagnifying GlassPrismatic LensPuppet StringsSword of the ParunsBlessed AllianceOpen the ArmoryCradle of Vitality
I like the idea of a vampire subtheme, it unintentionally works very well with what I feel like you're trying to do, and there's a ton of great support and synergy from the precon and ixalan stuff.
on Oloro Stuff
2 days ago
- Chalice of Life Flip: Isn't the worst card in Oloro, but isn't all that reliable either.
- Darksteel Plate: I've seen you play this card a bunch of times, and most of the time it just sits there, all menacingly. Problem is - your deck doesn't plan to use creatures often, so the plate also won't be used either.
- Dreamstone Hedron: Ramp is great, but expensive ones that produce colorless mana can be iffy since they're often easy targets right after you play them. Gilded Lotus can at least let you cast counterspells after you tap all your lands to play it.
- Orzhov Keyrune: This one is just personal preference from me. I don't like 3 mana artifact ramp most of the time. (Chromatic Lantern and Darksteel Ingot are much better) It's up to you if you wanna take it out or not.
- Sun Droplet: This card is very slow and you could easily replace it with something better.
- Subversion: It may seem like a decent drain effect, but it's not that great since it's 5 mana and makes you wait til your next upkeep before it does anything.
- Thought Reflection: Decent card, but 7 mana is pretty costly. Up to you if you wanna keep it.
- Celestial Force: It's nice to instantly gain life each upkeep, but 8 mana for basically just a vanilla creature otherwise isn't really good.
- Pontiff of Blight: Extort is nice for your deck, but your deck doesn't have many creatures to take advantage of the pontiff. Up to you if you wanna keep this guy if you wanna add more creatures.
- Skirge Familiar: I think this card would be a lot better if your deck was more combo focused.
- Azorius Chancery: These types of lands will flat out screw you over if they get destroyed or Blood Mooned.
Cards you definitely should add (won't cost you a whole lot):
- Crested Sunmare: Easily synergizes with Oloro and provides very solid creatures for defensive/offensive plays.
- Aetherflux Reservoir: The win condition you've been looking for. It's a pretty funny card honestly, but works very well with Oloro once you get him going.
- Alhammarret's Archive: Simply synergizes well with Oloro.
- Felidar Sovereign: Not sure how the others would feel about alternative win conditions, but if everyone' okay with it, this guy can most likely win you some games.
- Karlov of the Ghost Council: An awesome card. Can help control the board or becomes a big body to swing with.
- Delay, Counterspell, Swan Song, Negate: Good, cheap counterspells you should at least be running.
- Sphinx's Revelation: Put that ramping to good use.
- Anguished Unmaking, Cyclonic Rift: Must-have control instants.
- Supreme Verdict, Merciless Eviction, Fumigate: Excellent board wipes to go with Oloro.
- Clever Impersonator: This guy's incredibly flexible and can be useful in just about any situation.
- Mana Confluence: Almost exactly another copy of City of Brass.
- Temple of Enlightenment, Temple of Silence, Temple of Deceit: These will make your mana base a tad bit more consistent while helping you a bit with your next draw as well.
- Diabolic Tutor/Dark Petition/more tutors: Your deck would be more consistent if it had more tutors.
- Brainstorm: Generally a good blue card to manipulate your deck/hand a bit at an instant.
Suggestions (Some are costly, but very worth it for Oloro):
- Grave Titan: Just a powerhouse in general. Just like Crested Sunmare, Grave Titan will give you excellent battlefield presence.
- Whip of Erebos: If you do add more creatures like Grave Titan, this card can be very good for your life gain strategy.
- Sun Titan: One of my favorites. Can grab back some useful stuff, even land.
- Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant, Suture Priest, Auriok Champion: The soul sisters. You shouldn't include all of them at once though. Just keep them in mind since they're good against creature-heavy decks.
- Consecrated Sphinx: Costly, but worth.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation: Punishes spell-slinging decks, and generally nice if he sticks around.
- Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim: She can be good if you can keep your life total high enough.
- Sanguine Sacrament: Pretty nice for the deck's game plan at instant speed.
- Demonic Tutor: Arguably the best tutor you can find, but the price tag will probably turn you away. But... Greatness, at any cost.. Right?
- Enlightened Tutor, Mystical Tutor, Vampiric Tutor: Excellent tutors, but expensive (although Mystical Tutor is only around $5; not a whole lot compared to Vampiric Tutor).- Austere Command: Another one of my favorites. Very flexible, and doesn't cost a whole lot either.
- Torment of Hailfire: This card will probably make everyone hate you, but it's a fantastic card nonetheless.
- Leyline of Anticipation: One of the best blue enchantments in my opinion. Allows you to intimidate everyone just by playing a land on your turn.
- Crawlspace: Good against creature-heavy decks.
- Talisman of Dominance, Talisman of Progress, Fellwar Stone: Some decent and cheap mana rocks if you want more ramp.
- Decree of Pain: A good tempo swing in your favor if there are a ton of creatures in play. Kinda costly to play though.
- Hallowed Fountain, Godless Shrine, Watery Grave: Shock lands. Excellent at increasing consistency with mana bases. They're even better with the Fetch lands. All of these lands are very costly though.
- Flooded Plains, Marsh Flats, Polluted Delta: Example Fetch lands you could use.
- Ponder, Preordain: Cheap cantrips for a little more consistency.
- Maze of Ith, Kor Haven: Decent control lands.
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Cabal Coffers: Generates a ton of mana if you get them together.
- Expedition Map: Can help getting the above lands or any land you need.
- Crypt Ghast: Synergizes very well with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, but is overall decent for your deck.
That's all I can think of for now. I can post more for you if I think of anything else.
2 weeks ago
I recommend Pontiff of Blight over Agent of Masks as does so much more. Brion Stoutarm only works great with Wurmcoil Engine and Solemn Simulacrum, so I recommend repeatable creature steal in the form of Captivating Crew or similar to optimize Brion. If you want the repeatable free drain from Agent of Masks still, I recommend Palace Siege for the versatility of it. It is a shame that you do not have Felidar Sovereign in your deck when it revolves around life gain. Unless your playgroup doesn't allow instant wins, you should include it. Gisela, the Broken Blade is way better than Aerial Responder, as the first strike on Gisela is amazing. Rhox Faithmender is amazing with all the life gain going on and has lifelink as well. I would say it is better than Vampire Nighthawk unless you want the nighthawk for it's creature type. Feel free to ignore anything outside your price range. +1
2 weeks ago
OUT: Xathrid Demon - fatties are far more scarce for this demon to be reliable and not to backfire.
IN: Pontiff of Blight - this is very much needed life gain because this deck tends to be targeted a lot.
3 weeks ago
Finally updated the list. There have been a truckload of changes since last time I updated it... I haven't gotten to play her in quite awhile though but the overall strategy really hasn't changed. Pillow, make tokens, gain life, kill the table in one of 42 ways.
I'll be trying to put some more normal pillows back in at some point. I've gotten away from those with my tinkering but I do like putting down Ghostly Prison and watching people struggle to make big plays and attack me. I may look into more life drain effects too but I'd like them to work with tokens. Something like Pontiff of Blight is a potential win-con but also just does a good job in the long term.
2 months ago
Like what I am seeing here! Chipping away at opponents, going for the bit more drawn out games, vibes very well with my own playing style :) There's only a couple of things I would change:
I would still add either a few more (mana) artifacts or ways to cheat in some more lands. Mostly, because quite a few of your creatures are expensive to cast. In terms of artifacts, I was thinking Pearl Medallion, Jet Medallion, Worn Powerstone or Thran Dynamo. For some more land cheating, I was thinking about Burnished Hart, Solemn Simulacrum or in case you're feeling saucy, Weathered Wayfarer.
From your description I gather you really like extort. How about adding some more extort stuff then? Helps with chipping away at your opponents, and fuels you with the life you need to use some more of your creatures' /artifacts' special abilities. Some great stuff you could think about: Basilica Screecher, Tithe Drinker, Treasury Thrull or even Pontiff of Blight.
3 months ago
Kambal is a great commander. I like how you are aiming for drawn out games in which players will cast themselves to death :) There are however, some changes I would like to propose:
change three or four of your lands for additional mana rocks or land tutoring; that will increase the speed of your deck somewhat. Good mana rocks would be Fellwar Stone, Worn Powerstone and Thran Dynamo. Pearl Medallion and Jet Medallion could also prove useful. In terms of land tutoring, I find Oreskos Explorer and Weathered Wayfarer to be exceptionally good, although the latter is not a cheap card.
you have several cards that force your opponents' creatures to enter the battlefield tapped. Royal Assassin would combine very well with that.
If you have Illness in the Ranks on the battlefield, Storm Herd becomes useless to you. I always try to prevent these kind of things in my own decks. I would recommend replacing one of these with something else.
I presume the main reason for adding Angel of Jubilation, is her secondary power. Her primary one seems a bit weird in this deck, considering almost 50% of your creatures are black.
I think your deck could become even more of a nuisance for your opponents if you would add some more extort effects. Ideas on this front: Treasury Thrull, Tithe Drinker, Syndic of Tithes and Pontiff of Blight.
3 months ago
First I recommend taking out: Havengul Runebinder, Cemetery Recruitment, Undead Alchemist, Nantuko Husk, Geralf's Masterpiece, Geralf's Mindcrusher, Ashes of the Fallen, Perpetual Timepiece, Secrets of the Dead, Ancient Excavation, Murder, Compelling Deterrence, Liliana's Mastery, Obelisk of Urd, Graf Harvest, and Zombie Infestation, Ghoulcaller's Chant,
Cards that you should put in: Gravecrawler, Gravespawn Sovereign, Gray Merchant of Asphodel, Grave Pact, Unholy Grotto, Sidisi, Undead Vizier, Living Death, Cryptbreaker, Death Baron, Phyrexian Reclamation, High Market, Corpse Harvester, Balthor the Defiled, Reassembling Skeleton, Skullclamp, Grave Defiler, Graveborn Muse, Zombie Apocalypse, Crypt of Agadeem, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Reliquary Tower, Bojuka Bog, Diabolic Intent, Patriarch's Bidding, and Demonic Tutor.
If you are really trying to stay Timmy with the deck, then I won't recommend Phyrexian Altar because it goes infinite with Gravecrawler and any kind of death/ETB trigger, but then again, it does it with Rooftop Storm and a sac outlet too.
Other cards that can be really good in zombies include: Sheoldred, Whispering One, Corpse Connoisseur, Zombie Trailblazer, Twilight's Call, Geth, Lord of the Vault, Demonic Collusion, Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet, Scourge of Nel Toth, River Kelpie, Phyrexian Arena, Attrition, Kokusho, the Evening Star, Burnished Hart, Disciple of Bolas, Harvester of Souls, Damnation, Rune-Scarred Demon, Phenax, God of Deception, Beacon of Unrest, Corpse Augur, Palace Siege, Infernal Caretaker, Contamination, Plague Belcher, Vengeful Dead, Dread Wanderer, Boneknitter, Grimoire of the Dead, Pontiff of Blight, Custodi Lich