|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Rare|
|Urza's Saga (USG)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Until end of turn, you may play cards from your graveyard.
If a card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere this turn, exile that card instead.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (5)||fireborne1986 , TheLazyGrim , CampbellStev , Azdranax , ZombieFood|
|Want (6)||brokendwarf , vishnarg , Mousemke , sonnet666 , ryuzaki32667 , Big-Foot|
Yawgmoth's Will Discussion
5 days ago
Hey! +1 from me. I run a mono black deck that runs similar to getting "big black mana" . Feel free to check it out for some ideas. Moving onto the suggestions...
Mirage Mirror Utility. Copy coffers, useful artifact or big dude.
Candelabra of Tawnos - Budget allowing, it untaps coffers and it's various copies. My favorite card.
From what i can tell, you don't have any way to mitigate black's biggest weakness (aside from scour and steel helkite), against artifacts and enchantments. As such, you should add some/all of the following...
Oblivion Stone - For those turns u tutor for a boarwipe and need to use it on the same turn (nev disk doesnt let u since it ETBs tapped)
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon - Similar to the above to, but exile can be crucial (ex: purphurous when it isnt a creature so u can't use ashes to ashes).
Karn Liberated - Targeted exile removal (upgrade to scour)
There are others but those are my favorite. Should they be unavailable to you due to budget or can't find it, let me know and I'll offer budget replacements that are similar.
Black's strengths are tutors, I feel you should use at least 1 - 2 more to improve consistency
Mastermind's Acquisition > Diabolic Tutor
Since you like to win with big X spell (your commander), it would suck if it gets countered. As such, you should DEFINITELY add Imp's Mischief. Using imp's mischief, you can change the target of counterspell to imp's mischief, leaving the original spell (ur commander or whatever) intact. No one suspects it, plus its amazing to use on cards like "TARGET player gets two extra turns" ... I wonder who you will target, haha!
Yawgmoth's Will - Budget permitting
Im curious on your thoughts on Strionic Resonator to copy your ETB effects (namely your commander). Also want your opinion on Rings of Brighthearth to combo with Deserted temple, coffers and a lot of swamps to make infinite mana and win your with commander. Should you go this route, you might want to consider adding a Basalt Monolith as well for infinite colorless mana.
Get back to me with your thoughtsenter link description here
6 days ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
1 week ago
Nice deck. I do have a few suggestions though. (sorry if any of these are in the deck already... I hate custom categories lol)
I see you have Sun Titan for recurring stuff but it's limited in what it can get back. I'd also consider Eternal Witness, Yawgmoth's Will (available in gold border for cheap), and if you can afford it Replenish. Also consider some finishers like Craterhoof Behemoth, Kamahl, Fist of Krosa, and/or Champion of Lambholt.
Feel free to check out my list for ideas, it's been retired for about a year but it should still give you plenty of ideas. Ghave Token Army
3 weeks ago
Hey DarkSteelDemon, thanks for commenting on the page. You reminded me to actually keep this thing updated. So if a boardwipe even were to occur, I have both counterspells and Sliver Hivelord. Giving me a grand total of 7 individual cards that can help me out in that regard. Now, if a simple boardwipe were to go through, then I have 3 recursion options built in, specifically: Patriarch's Bidding, Yawgmoth's Will, and Volrath's Stronghold. BUT, what if someone were to play Merciless Eviction naming creatures? The only option in the deck is to not let it happen by using the counterspells in the deck. That would limit me to just 6 individual cards.
Now that Dominaria is out, what options do you think would be good for this deck?
1 month ago
I always thought Yawgmoth's Will sounded like an awesome metal band. I also like Annihilator 6 as some sort of electronic punk band. Another one that springs to mind is Furnace of Rath/Death Pits of Rath.
1 month ago
Ok those cards make a lot more sense now... I have actually used so many of the cards in your deck kind of funny seeing somebody seriously playing lantern control... I kind of did it when I played eggs just because Codex Shredder and Pyxis of Pandemonium were wincons in my deck and I played Counterbalance because it is a soft lock on storm decks.
Maybe you want something like Toxic Deluge its just good removal and you're aren't going to be paying more than 2 or 3. Lim-Dul's Vault is also a very strong tutor and it synergies well with Counterbalance and self mill. And if you are willing to shell out $50 then Yawgmoth's Will is a great card in general.
Also Etherium Sculptor seems a bit weak. I am saying this just from seeing my friends kess deck http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kess-anf-storm-paper-list/once he casts Ad Nauseam he wins anyways and most of your artifacts are 0 and 1 drops...if you are casting Paradox Engine then mana reduction doesn't matter anyways. I guess this is a meta call but you don't really have any graveyard hate, Nihil Spellbomb is a good flex pick. Preordain maybe? Night of Souls' Betrayal if there are hatebears around.
1 month ago
Hey! Your deck seems pretty cool. +1 from me! Some Notes...
If you want to win through voltran, then you might want to add Shizo, Death's Storehouse
Nirkana Revenant functions similarly to caged sun/gauntlet of power. I would remove the gauntlet for nirkana. 1 more mana but doesn't help others (even more so with urborg)
Some extra lands don't hurt, maybe get up to 36, although land count is a personal preference.
I see you have whip of erebos and imp's mischief in the maybeboard? You MUST add the imp's mischief, extreme utility for a cheap price, and no1 expects it in black. Whip of erebos is cool recursion synergy with your commander, helps the life loss of the deck/hate you'll be getting. Speaking of hate, you should add Hatred. It would work very well with whip, can be political and honestly just really funny. Give xiahou dun haste with whip, pay 18 life to hatred, attack and gain 21 and kill someone.
Vesuva - Similar to thespian's stage, another coffers
Mirage Mirror - See above but with way more utility
Expedition Map - To help "ramp" and find key utility lands. You also have a low land count so it helps.
I don't see for you to get around black's weakness like artifacts and enchantments. Thus, you might want to consider Nevinyrral's Disk, Oblivion Stone, Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, Karn Liberated, Spine of Ish Sah, Scour from Existence, etc....
Mastermind's Acquisition > Diabolic Tutor.
There's a couple other suggestions but I don't know your budget/playstyle.
If you want any other recommendations to add, cards to cut or whatever, let me know! Feel free to check out my deck The Descent Into Darkness for more ideas
1 month ago
No doubt, lol! I'm trying to get into competitive EDH ever since I picket up an Aetherflux Reservoir and Ad Nauseam to fill out a trade, I'm sweating looking at the price of Yawgmoth's Will, Demonic Tutor, and Vampiric Tutor, not sure they're worth the 147$ price tag between the three of them. Maybe they are though, seeing as they're the best in slot in all cEDH decks.