|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||None|
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Uncommon|
|Conspiracy: Take the Crown (CN2)||Uncommon|
|Magic 2014 (M14)||Uncommon|
|2012 Core Set (M12)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Uncommon|
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Uncommon|
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Uncommon|
|Ninth Edition (9ED)||Uncommon|
|Ninth Edition Foreign Black Border (9EDFBB)||Uncommon|
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
|Have (2)||MTG_Optometry , PTsmitty|
|Want (9)||Morningstar_80 , geronzin , HalfwayLyric , Mac-Daddy , lainel , zilikken , Stara , Fuzzy79 , Verathragna213|
Diabolic Tutor Discussion
3 days ago
Here are some suggestions:
You would probably benefit the most from a better ramp-package. Since you don't want to bother buying expensive lands, I'd recommend signets (which are really good for fixing colors) and talismans: Orzhov Signet , Azorius Signet , Dimir Signet , Talisman of Progress , Talisman of Dominance , Talisman of Hierarchy , & Smothering Tithe has powerful potential as well.
Ponder and Preordain are extremely powerful in helping you fix colors in the early game. They allow you to dig for the right lands. They're also good at any point in a game. Gitaxian Probe is easy to cast (at basically no cost) since you gain life.
Speaking of life-gain, you have some good ways to gain but no payoffs for it. Alhammarret's Archive seems to combo well with your general. Other ones that come to mind are Graveborn Muse , Greed , and Necropotence
I'd cut Crush Dissent and No Escape for cheaper counterspells. Lower CMC instants give you more opportunities to use them. Swan Song is BROKEN. Counterspell is good. Dispel is amazing but only if you feel your meta is threatening you with counter magic of their own. Muddle the Mixture and Narset's Reversal are unreal. Sometimes you'll misplay them though - they require some experience.
3 days ago
This is a really cool deck! I like your thought process!
Here are some suggestions:
Scheming Symmetry would work perfectly in your deck. If you want to take out redundancies such as Simic Guildmage you could use cards like Manamorphose , Mishra's Bauble or Street Wraith . I highly suggest these cards since they basically act as deck shorteners. Maybe also bump Ob Nixilis, Unshackled up to x4 and Diabolic Tutor to help find them.
Sorry, I know that was a lot, but I think you could really make something great out of this deck!
Best of luck,
1 week ago
so the way I see it you're actually quite close (33 basic lands means 25 basic lands brings you up to 82)
- Zephyr Sprite (basic 1 drop flyer, but a 1 drop flyer is good on its own)
- Wydwen, the Biting Gale (3/3 flyer with an ability that gives you bounce to save itself or add faerie casts)
- Wasp Lancer (3 mana faerie flyer, that's it)
- Vendilion Clique (ok, pricey but a good way to say no to an incoming problem)
- Thieving Sprite (another way to say no to an incoming threat)
- Silkbind Faerie (untap effects are very exploitable, although often rare)
- Silkbind Faerie (easy to be a 3/3 flying vigilance for 3)
- Ringskipper (this one is kinda mostly filler but could be obnoxious to get rid of)
- Quickling (ok I think this is a diamond in the rough, 2 mana, get a body AND save a faerie from impending doom)
- Oona's Gatewarden (i know defender BUT WITHER IS SUCH A GOOD MECHANIC)
- Nightveil Sprite (2 mana 1/2 flyer that lets you look at the top card of your library, with the option to toss)
- Mistbind Clique (forcing your opponent into an all out play can create quite the opening, timing it before the end of a phase limits their options on what they can do with all that mana)
- Metropolis Sprite (With anthems that ability could be nasty, especially since early game flyers are often going unblocked)
- Knacksaw Clique (I hate myself for suggesting this monster of a card but even if you aren't stealing their cards, your permanently removing them and that's just nasty)
- Faerie Vandal (drawing 2 cards in a turn isnt hard in blue, so in many cases it will get +1/+1 every turn)
- Faerie Mechanist (counts as an artifact AND sifts for more)
- Fae of Wishes (that adventure lets you pull solutions out of thin air)
- Eye Collector (1/1 with a decent ability)
- Brazen Borrower (again not budget but another great adventure)
- Faerie Guidemother (1 drop white with an ok adventure option)
- Phyrexian Metamorph (clone that can hit artifacts always good, especially in EDH)
- Glorious Anthem (aka the namesake for all anthems)
- Dictate of Heliod (double anthem with flash)
- Marshal's Anthem (but pricey mana wise but potent)
- Kindred Boon (not an anthem but...it's a bit slow but indestructible is nasty)
- Kindred Discovery (also not an anthem but CAAAAAARRRRD DRAW)
- All That Glitters (potent aura in your deck, slap it on Alela for quick win)
- Mirrormade (MORE CLOOOOOONESSS but for artifact or enchantment)
- Bident of Thassa (caaaaaaaarrrrddd draaaaawwww)
- Skullclamp (mooooorrreeeee caaaard draaaaawwww)
- Smothering Tithe (this guy is broken in EDH)
- Coastal Piracy ( heavy breathing CAAAAAAAAAAARRRRDD DRAAAW)
- Blind Obedience (good control enchantment)
- insert every flavor of mana rocks here
- Mortify (reeeemoval)
- Path to Exile (more removal)
- Swords to Plowshares (did I mention removal is important)
- Generous Gift (echo echo echo)
- Vindicate (I remember when this was like a 20$ card)
- Ghostly Prison (the best defense is actually having defense)
- Utter End (hits anything but land and its gone for good)
- Disenchant (technically the OG naturalize)
- Diabolic Tutor (like demonic tutor only not 25$)
- Open the Vaults (wow that was a nasty Nevinyrral's Disk wouldn't it be a shame if it didn't stick)
- Propaganda (Ghostly Prison but blue)
- Sphere of Safety (ghostly prison but gets really out of hand fast)
- Darksteel Mutation (this card is evil)
- Imprisoned in the Moon (that’s a nice land ya got there)
- Frogify (MAKE THAT COMMANDER A FROG)
- Phyrexian Arena (card draw, but black)
- Aura of Silence (because only you can have artifacts and enchantments)
- Dispeller's Capsule (disenchant on a stick)
- Norn's Annex (phyrexian ghostly prison)
- Notorious Throng (TURN THAT PAIN INTO FRIENDS))
- Wrath of God (NUKE UM NUKE UM)
- Fumigate (Moooore NUUUKES)
- Oblivion Ring (say no, now with enchantments)
- Detention Sphere (kill all of one type of token, or remove all the sol rings, you know for shits and giggles)
- Karmic Justice (blow up my stuff i blow you up)
- Land Tax (ok not budget but reeeeaaaallly nice for lands outside of green)
- Grasp of Fate (o ring but for each opponent)
- Attrition (you should have tons of minions so sacking some for removal is value)
- True Conviction (one of my favorite big nasty enchantments)
- Akroma's Memorial (most of the times this hits the field it's over)
- Jace Beleren (og jace is nice)
1 week ago
@vileplume23 - I'm currently trying to reduce the CMC of this deck, so probably changing Diabolic Tutor with Demonic Tutor is an option for me.. Maze of Ith is very situational, and i have a lot of defensive creatures to deal with probable creatures that can kill me.. the only way i see that it can be useful is when my opponent steals Sun Titan for example and attacks me with it for a turn, then i can null the attack.. or if I'm against a voltron deck.. Council's Judgment is also situational.. I can see when i play this spell, that I can't even remove the nonland permanent that I wanted on the spot, if 2 or more opponents voted on another permanent.. politic-wise, it looks fun though..
@backdoorbonus - hmmm.. that's an interesting creature.. It can be another commander in the 99, that can recur itself to the 3rd card in the deck, but still.. It can also replace Zetalpa in the Tainted Strike + Zetalpa, Primal Dawn combo as a possible redundancy since it has double strike too.. thanks for the suggestion!
2 weeks ago
So I playtested and it held up really well in a 4v4 pod. I used my laptop while friends played with their decks.
I was able to storm off Tendrils of Agony for 8, which was really sweet.
I actually did have Dramatic Reversal in hand, which is how I stormed off in the first place. Though, looking back I should have used Diabolic Tutor to search for the Isochron Scepter . That was a fault on my behalf for not digging deeper into the deck.
Unfortunately I did lose, however it was in part because my opponent was able to bring out Fairgrounds Warden and nobody wanted to kill it, so I couldn't get Oona back.
Pretty fun deck. Not sure it's my cup of tea as I am more of a synergy player rather than a combo player, but it was still a lot of fun.
3 weeks ago
Hey Kehrmann15, here are some thoughts about the deck, especially how to improve it with cards we already have in our playgroup.
Arvad the Cursed : In the current deck he probably has too few other Legendaries he can reliably pump. I would tend to replace him with a lord who pushes all the Knights. For example I could give you Benalish Marshal .
Kwende, Pride of Femeref : Similar to Arvad, there are very few targets at the moment. (Three Knights with Firststrike.) As a good replacement I could give you e.g. Aryel, Knight of Windgrace . Besides her respectable 4/4 vigilance (especially useful in multiplayer) she is a "mana sink", so she can use open mana even if you can't play hand cards. Specifically, she creates Knights tokens or destroys other creatures on each turn.
Belle of the Brawl and Skynight Vanguard would be shaky candidates for me, which could ideally be replaced by stronger Knights. Perfect would be for example Puresteel Paladin and Knight Exemplar . But both are not quite cheap and unfortunately I don't have them either.
Otherwise I'd rather go in the direction of 25 creatures, so maybe add two more value creatures. For example, I could give you the two: Kambal, Consul of Allocation fits well to your drain theme. Which you did to Neotopian and me last time. Sram, Senior Edificer lets you draw a card for each piece of equipment.
This brings us directly to the next topic.
Card Draw still seems to me to be the weakest point in the deck. Cards I can give you from my collection would be Read the Bones (e.g. as a replacement for Call the Cavalry , because you don't really play Go-Wide with the deck and hardly profit from it), Skullclamp and Sunforger (both equipment with which you have more synergies and absolute "must haves" in the deck). Especially Sunforger is crazy with your Commander, if you can fetch a CMC4 Instant for 2 mana and cast for free.
For the Sunforger to work properly, we need a few more instants with impact for <=CMC4.
Removal should be as versatile as possible ("target permanent" is better than "target creature") and as reliable as possible ("destroy" or even "exile" better than "x damage"). Therefore I would replace Integrity / Intervention by Utter End and Justice Strike by Swords to Plowshares (if any of us have it). Adamant Will is only good in special situations, so I would replace it with a good removal. I could give you Bedevil for example.
In order to have Sunforger or other cards on hand at the right time, a few tutors would be helpful. For example, I could give you Diabolic Tutor from my collection. Open the Armory would also be a cheap tutor who fits well to your topic.
I'm not finished on the other topics yet, but here are my first notes on equipment, mana rocks and lands:
Find a few stronger pieces of equipment to replace the following:
No Taplands without upside (Gates etc.). If we don't find better duals (e.g. the scry temples would offer a nice upside) replace them with basics.
3 weeks ago
Hey, nice budget Esper deck. Looks like you're not finished?
In Esper colors you can take more advantage of opponent disruption and you kind of need more of it if you want to consistently cast Chromium, who's seven mana. Control the game more by slowing down your opponents which can give you more time to prepare the game for when you drop Chromium. I think you should stick with Tocatli Honor Guard . In fact I'm suggesting to expand on it. Of course this means cutting most creatures who have an ETB ability.
Chromium doesn't have an ETB ability and there's not very many creatures here who do. In Commander many decks, much more than not, rely on ETB abilities from creatures to get value or even to win. Shutting this off can give you a big advantage. Creatures who exile other creatures or permanents when they ETB are risky because of board wipes. When these creatures die from a board wipe then the exiled card goes back to the opponent. Board wipes are more important for Control then these creatures.
In Commander 26 lands is very low for a Control deck. This is the amount of land you would play in a 60 card Control deck in Standard. In Commander there's a lot more than 60 cards therefore you need more lands because you want to make your land drops each turn. Mana rocks and other spells that can get you lands in your hand or on to the battlefield can help, but even with these cards you need more land. You really want both. There's only 91 cards here; my advice is start with adding 10 more lands and the three budget Signets: Azorius Signet , Dimir Signet , Orzhov Signet .
Budget lands to consider adding:
- Command Tower
- Exotic Orchard
- Caves of Koilos
- Ash Barrens
- Esper Panorama
- Sunken Hollow
- Prairie Stream
- Irrigated Farmland
Cards to consider cutting to add lands/Signets:
- Fleet Swallower
- Drowned Secrets
- Psychic Spiral
- Psychic Corrosion
- Thought Collapse
Consider cutting the opponent mill theme? Opponent mill is not very good in multiplayer Commander unless your dedicated to it. Graveyards are a huge resource for so many types of decks in Commander; mill will most likely help your opponents rather than hurt them. I wouldn't play mill unless it's the main strategy of your deck. Playing many wheel effects and having infinite mill combos as win conditions.
Other budget cards to consider adding (some of these are in the maybeboard):
- Aven Mindcensor : disrupt opponents tutors including Fetch lands.
- Notion Thief : deny opponents from drawing a lot of cards.
- Blind Obedience : prevents haste and denies your opponents from using artifacts for mana when they first come onto the battlefield.
- Hushbringer : a supercharged Tocatli Honor Guard.
- Rule of Law : can prevent many combos in Commander and it slows the game down for you to better control.
- Narset, Parter of Veils : allows opponents to only draw one card during their turns.
- Day of Judgment
- Cleansing Nova
- Diabolic Tutor
- Fellwar Stone
- Arcane Denial
- Detention Sphere
- Generous Gift
Cards to consider cutting:
- Final Payment
- Drown in Sorrow
- Deputy of Detention
- Hostage Taker
- Conclave Tribunal
- Shell of the Last Kappa
- Tome of the Guildpact
- Dire Fleet Ravager
- Sphinx's Insight
- Ob Nixilis, the Hate-Twisted
- Nightveil Predators
- Basilica Bell-Haunt
- Dimir Guildmage
- The Haunt of Hightower
- Rise from the Tides
4 weeks ago
Thank you, thank you. I'm saving a list of all these spicy suggestions so I can pick them up soon (I think I only own one or two of them) and start making some heavy edits. It's funny because I dropped Diabolic Tutor for Netherborn Phalanx , but thinking about it now, the tutor makes more sense. The drops I mainly have in here to lower cmc average, but you have some suggestions here that will make cutting them easier. Shrapnel Blast is getting axed. I found a Blood Crypt I think I'll put in here too.
Diabolic Tutor occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.13%
UB (Dimir): 1.08%
WB (Orzhov): 0.59%
RBW (Mardu): 0.5%
WUB (Esper): 0.44%
UBR (Grixis): 0.49%