|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Rare|
|Mirrodin Besieged (MBS)||Rare|
|Mirrodin Besieged: Phyrexia (MBP)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Spine of Ish Sah
When Spine of Ish Sah enters the battlefield, destroy target permanent.When Spine of Ish Sah is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, return Spine of Ish Sah to its owner's hand.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (30)||ironax , Oskani , Lucretian , Va1mar , DrLitebur , SketchyScribbler , angesoir , LTmiller , , duff87 , rikertchu , ShishkyBob , Riku580 , , mziter501 , twistedmage , Unlife , golgarigirl , Swamy , ZombieFood , NOGzFTW , Hootiequack , Nemesis , Friedrice24 , Riders_of_Brohan , ecurps , sonnet666 , jstn.mrrtt , Mortiferus_Rosa , sneferie|
|Want (3)||Dr.Jackel , Turtlelover73 , Jose_Arrogantio|
Spine of Ish Sah Discussion
2 days ago
Hey! Your deck seems pretty cool. +1 from me! Some Notes...
If you want to win through voltran, then you might want to add Shizo, Death's Storehouse
Nirkana Revenant functions similarly to caged sun/gauntlet of power. I would remove the gauntlet for nirkana. 1 more mana but doesn't help others (even more so with urborg)
Some extra lands don't hurt, maybe get up to 36, although land count is a personal preference.
I see you have whip of erebos and imp's mischief in the maybeboard? You MUST add the imp's mischief, extreme utility for a cheap price, and no1 expects it in black. Whip of erebos is cool recursion synergy with your commander, helps the life loss of the deck/hate you'll be getting. Speaking of hate, you should add Hatred. It would work very well with whip, can be political and honestly just really funny. Give xiahou dun haste with whip, pay 18 life to hatred, attack and gain 21 and kill someone.
Vesuva - Similar to thespian's stage, another coffers
Mirage Mirror - See above but with way more utility
Expedition Map - To help "ramp" and find key utility lands. You also have a low land count so it helps.
I don't see for you to get around black's weakness like artifacts and enchantments. Thus, you might want to consider Nevinyrral's Disk, Oblivion Stone, Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, Karn Liberated, Spine of Ish Sah, Scour from Existence, etc....
Mastermind's Acquisition > Diabolic Tutor.
There's a couple other suggestions but I don't know your budget/playstyle.
If you want any other recommendations to add, cards to cut or whatever, let me know! Feel free to check out my deck The Descent Into Darkness for more ideas
2 days ago
Colorless removal like Spine of Ish Sah, Scour from Existence, and Karn Liberated is kind of expensive mana wise but might help. Otherwise I would use edict effects like other people have said. Things like Fleshbag Marauder, Merciless Executioner, Chainer's Edict, Diabolic Edict, etc. Instant speed removal that can hit bruna is also good, stuff like Go for the Throat, Doom Blade, Hero's Downfall, Silence the Believers, etc. Besides that there isn't much you can do about enchantments in mono.
1 week ago
Yea i guess i misread jhoira.. Thats a shame. Something else i was thinking is maybe youd want to include the zero cost counters? Another thing i know is popular with some storm stuff is Defense Grid. Im so used to having acess to black or white with artifacts. Graveyard recursion is just easier with those colors. I agree we have alot still though. Also umm Duplicant and Spine of Ish Sah are decent removal in artifact centric decks. I know they are high cmc. Best to use goblin welder or master transmuter to get them out.
2 weeks ago
At 2cmc you have Ratchet Bomb
2 weeks ago
Individual Card Comments:
- Wayfarer's Bauble - Too Slow. Each time you recur it, it still costs 2.
- Contagion Engine How many cards can be affected by proliferate? If low, I'm not sure it is worth it.
- Spine of Ish Sah - Technically it goes to the yard, then the return to hand trigger goes on the stack. Find a way to bring it back to the battlefield before the bounce trigger resolves. Sculpting Steel copying Spine will cause Steel to come back to hand when sacrificed. Very useful.
- Impact Resonance - Really specific damage. I think it removes things after you need them to be removed.
- Unstable Obelisk - Even if you bring it back, it still costs 7 mana to remove something.
- Word of Seizing - Mindslaver is a good card because it is recurrable in your deck. This isn't. There are other gain control cards that are more useful. This and mindslaver both require you to play someone else's deck, which is a gamble whether it is worth it.
- Conjurer's Closet - How many ETB creatures do you have? Is this worth it?
- Alhammarret's Archive, Reliquary Tower, and Thought Vessel - I don't think you have enough draw to really abuse any of these. For the Archive, do you have any lifegain sources?
- Darksteel Colossus - This will never hit the graveyard, so you will always be hard casting it. Not sure if that works with your gameplan. The shuffle effect is a replacement effect, not a trigger so it doesn't use the stack.
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon - Meh, only works well with high CMC artifacts, and most of the time you'll be killing your own stuff.
- Kuldotha Forgemaster - What are you going to tutor for this that will win you the game?
- Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient - Good card, but copying what activated ability will win you the game?
- Scrap Mastery - This card is gold, and is a definite win condition in your deck. Make sure you have a way to preemptively sacrifice all of your creatures/discard your hand/mill yourself for most of your deck before resolving this.
- Unwinding Clock - Good card in this deck, but how many artifacts with tap abilities can you exploit using it?
- Karn, Silver Golem - I would only keep this for any combos associated with it. In a vacuum, he's just a good blocker.
- Skyshaper - Is create for the alpha strike single shot, I've got several big ass creatures or a shitload of tiny ones, but other than to give Blightsteel Colossus evasion, is this card super impactful?
- Phyrexia's Core, and Throne of Geth - I wouldn't consider either of these sacrifice outlets, because they are single use per rotation, and the Core costs mana. If you want sacrifice outlets I'd shoot for Ashnod's Altar, Altar of Dementia, and things that say "Sacrifice a creature:."
- Dormant Volcano - From seeing it in use, seems like you only want to see it really early on.
- Carnage Altar - I know you're in red and draw is at a premium, but 3 mana for a card is not the best.
- Too much Ramp
- Not enough Draw and Removal
- Does the deck work without Daretti? If no, find a way to protect him, or other artifact recursion sources.
- You WinCon category doesn't really have many cards that win you the game, just really impactful cards. Look for combos, or Insurrection like cards, or the dreaded MLD type effects. Basically cards that, if it resolves, win you the game.
- You have a lot of categories with one or two cards in it. I'd clean those up into more general things to get a more clear idea for what you're trying to do.
- You should probably be running more utility lands.
- Think about adding some sacrifice outlets. If this is a recursion/reanimation deck, you need to be able to kill shit when you want to.
- Red is really good at making temporary tokens, specifically artifact tokens, of things. Might be worth looking into.
- I try not to include lands in categories because they aren't abusable enough to be consistent. It gives you false category numbers. If you have 10 draw cards, but 3 are lands, you really don't have enough draw. But that's just my opinion.
- I'd try to find more "to the battlefield" recursion cards, instead of to your hand. Recasting those cards every turn causes mana problems. The "to hand" effects are still good though, just slower.
- Isochron Scepter would be good with some of the spells you have like Scrap Mastery, and Trash for Treasure.
- Tuktuk the Explorer and Feldon of the Third Path go well together, but the fact that the artifact is legendary sucks.
- Turning nonartifact cards into artifacts using effects like Liquimetal Coating is an interesting direction to look into, and there are a few cards that do similar things. Probably several useful combos to do with that. Especially if you ever get the Daretti emblem.
- Do you ever plan on getting a Daretti Emblem? Obviously you would like it, but to you, is it worth dedicating some card slots into cheating out loyalty counters to get him to 10? The problem is that he will very rarely get to 10 through use of his +2 alone. And even with Contagion Engine, people will attack him before he's at 8. Just something to think about. If you get the emblem, you've very likely won the game, so that can definitely be a win condition to pursue.
- "Control" is too ambiguous. Chaos Warp, and Steel Hellkite are removal, and Liquimetal Coating is protection(?).
- Red's draw is usually the looting (draw a card, then discard a card) and pillaging (discard a card, then draw a card) effects. These also aren't great, but using artifact recursion, cards like Mind Stone become very good draw effects if you can recur them every turn/rotation. Other abusable draws are Tamiyo's Journal, and Seer's Sundial. It might suck to give other people cards, but Howling Mine may also be worth it.
- It seems counter-intuitive, but Vandalblast might be useful, especially with Scrap Mastery.
- Are there more cards that let you cheat out artifacts from your hand like Copper Gnomes, if so that sounds like an interesting direction as well. Sneak Attack comes to mind, but
- Pentavus + Blade of the Bloodchief + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite mana.
- Nim Deathmantle + Myr Battlesphere/Pentavus + Ashnod's Altar = Infinite tokens
- Combos dont have to be infinite. If you can find a way to kill and recur Scuttling Doom Engine every turn/rotation, Id consider that a combo. Anything that puts a decent clock on everyone to answer your shit is a combo to me.
2 weeks ago
1 month ago
The big changes recently...
Wheel of Fortune out for Memory Jar: I've been going back and forth on this for a long time, and I finally decided to do it after a string of bad luck with Wheel. Wheel is amazing normally, and I don't know if it is just the deck or my meta, but 9 out of 10 times I play it it ends up going worse for me. Worse yet, I found myself holding onto it and not casting it. Memory Jar allows me to get the effect, I don't have to pitch my hand if I have one, and any benefit to opponents is short lived. Being able to recur it is a huge plus also.
Kindred Charge out for Chancellor of the Forge**: This change may not stick, or I may just bring Charge back in in addition to the Chancellor, but I tend to have better luck with this effect as a creature than I do with a sorcery. Not losing the new tokens at the end of turn is great too.
Aggravated Assault out: I originally added this because the deck felt one turn away from winning very often at the end of a game someone else won. I figured getting more combats in, or the...14 card infinite with Krenko, Mob Boss and Skirk Prospector was fun if I ever managed to get it off. Ultimately, drawing deeper into my deck more results in a lot more consistent wins.
Basilisk Collar out: I think this was just me trying to be too cute. Fun, but not consistent or impactful enough.
Great Furnace in: Added to up the artifact count for the new manarock.
Mox Opal in: Now that I've raised the artifact count a bit, including this is easier than before. Also helps a bit to offload mana generation away from the lands a bit, in cases where I want to sac them all but not be stranded after.
Imperial Recruiter in: Hell yeah! This finally got reprinted, which dropped the price from $150+ to probably around $50. Can grab so, so many good creatures.
Font of Mythos in: In an effort to drastically increasing my draw, I'm trying symmetrical draw effects for the first time. The hope is to take advantage of it faster than my opponents. We'll see how that goes!
Horn of Greed in: As the deck gets better, getting multiple land drops in a turn becomes more consistent, and I rarely miss a land drop anymore. I would only be worried about this against one green deck in my meta, but even then it is always a race anyway, at least this time it will be more fun.
That's the biggest number of changes I made since the deck's first revision more than a year ago! I'm confident I will be happy with most of the changes, but as always, this deck will constantly change to be the most powerful and most fun I can make it.
1 month ago
Interesting suggestions, I actually did tried them all before. However, my personal opinion is when you put those kind of cards, it actually changed the feels when you are playing the deck. Of course it will be faster and really strong but I will try to stick with the zombie theme. And for Spine of Ish Sah, it is a strong card in a way, but we do not have a way to actually interact with it in the sense that we cannot sac it so it feels like it is less effective. But if you guys are interested, feel free to take out a few utility zombies and slot in the suggestions by Mr BurtReynolds. Thank you very much !!!