As an additional to cast Morbid Curiosity, sacrifice an artifact or creature.
Draw cards equal to the converted mana cost of the sacrificed permanent.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Morbid Curiosity Discussion
1 week ago
I think these are all valid. The Obligator is an experiment. It feels like a card with 2 modes. Just a body? Or a threaten also.
I'm not conviced we will ever have enough mana to cast a threaten, fling and insult in the same turn, otherwise would definitely put that in. We tried to only include cards that could be played for free off of Kari Zev's Expertise which is why we chose Altar's Reap for example. We were just curious if Morbid Curiosity would work...see what I did there?
My suspicion is that this deck is just overall too "cute" an idea to actually work. But we wanted to have some fun because there are so many powerful creature decks in the format right now, and nobody will see this coming.
Thanks as always for your suggestions!! How is it going with your control deck?
1 week ago
Magma Spray is super important in the meta right now for keeping zombies dead
why no Insult? stroongest card for this deck. Double up then attack and double up your fling
1 week ago
Might benefit you to have some Grasps in the main over Haze of Pollen. It's generally better to be proactive. Also it seems like you need card draw. Not sure of the best way to do it with how your deck is built, but maybe Rishkar's Expertise or Morbid Curiosity? I mean you have blue, if you're confident in having 2 sources Pull from Tomorrow would be fantastic and I doubt they'd see it coming lol.
Really like the deck, the only other thing I can think to suggest is when you're sideboarding against aggro, you should keep in the Arborback Stomper. Side out another 7-drop or something because I think the lifegain would be worth it, plus it's easier to get to than 7.
Happy tapping tho +1
2 weeks ago
I will provide as many sac outlets as I can think of; you're in luck the last two EDH decks I've made (Child of Alara and Chainer) run a plethora of outlets.
Indestructible sac outlets like Bontu the Glorified or Yahenni, Undying Partisan may be of use to you here. For me, they stay alive when Child triggers, but for you, Yahenni not only does that, but also can be a legal target for Alesha.
Utility sacs: Morbid Curiosity - Heaven forbid you hardcast Master of Cruelties, sac and draw 5 for seems sweet in my books.
Mind Slash: you seem to like looking at people's hands. :)
Infernal Tribute: Triple Black, the same problem as the card below, but you can pitch a creature you want to reanimate later, and draw.
Dark Prophecy seems great here, if we're sac'ing creatures. Triple black is pretty unruly here, though (which is why I found it in mono-black lol).
Dimir House Guard - SUPER loose. BUT, we can transmute for a boat load of stuff in this deck, and it's a sac outlet. Oh, and Alesha can reanimate it. Transmute, then Alesha trigger?
As for ensuring a full GY, perhaps Perpetual Timepiece to give you a jump start? Or something to that effect.
And for another spicy sac outlet, that also acts as a risky way to fill a grave - Undercity Informer. Mill yourself til you get a land for the cost of sacrificing a creature.
2 weeks ago
- Tragic Slip (good against gods)
- Deathreap Ritual (good pull towards Golgari, good splash for Rakdos and Selesnya)
- Malicious Affliction (good black targeted removal)
- Morbid Curiosity (good in Artifacts and Golgari)
- Mirrorweave (seems like it could get pretty zany, also works as a functional wrath if you target a legendary creature)
- Slate of Ancestry (seems like a better option than Harmonize and the like for colors without CA)
- Thundermaw Hellkite (just busted)
- Hellkite Charger (lets speed up the game a bit)
- Illusionist's Gambit (a hilarious gotcha card in blue)
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar (this card makes the aggro deck in the pod much more threatening)
- Cavern Harpy
- Boros Charm
- Boartusk Liege
- Goblin Chieftain
- Goblin King
- Goblin Lackey
- Goblin Matron
- Goblin Piledriver
- Goblin Recruiter
- Goblin Warchief
- Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
- Krenko, Mob Boss
- Skirk Fire Marshal
- Warren Instigator
Potential cuts (not removed, waiting your feedback):
- Sylvan Primordial (too much value I think)
- Sundering Titan (again, too much value)
- Nahiri, the Harbinger (she is good but doesnt support any archetypes)
- Merchant's Dockhand (very durdly. I actually hate this card, to be honest lol)
- Gruul Charm (doesnt do enough. There are better options to stop blocks)
- Merciless Eviction I think this is too good, actually. I dont want the build/reset dynamic unless you really pay a cost for it.
- Supreme Verdict (see: Merciless Eviction)
- Dovescape I think this will actually lead to too many board stalls. Not worth it.
- Reparations Doesnt do enough
- Darksteel Mutation (not necessary. We have enough good white removal)
- Limited Resources too mean.
- Tempt with Glory the tokens deck wants this, but I think it will only be better than a 6-mana put a +1/+1 on each creature you control when playing against gruul.
- Filigree Sages too little payoff for those stats
- Skill Borrower this card just sucks
- Shape Anew very bad. I love tinker, but nah.
- Black Sun's Zenith too good.
- Dread Return We said no reanimation
- Animate Dead
- Bonfire of the Damned too mean
- Starstorm too good I think. Rolling Thunder could be a good replacement?
- Tempt with Discovery I hope were playing with people smart enough not to fall for this trap
- Fang of the Pack (I think this card is not very good. I like that it has melee, but its not the best for a 6-drop)
Goblin Tribal just didnt seem viable unless you draft AND CAST Krenko. The deck leans too hard on one card and is too all-in for the multiplayer format. Sorry Goblins!
I left in the GU liege in case we want to do tap control in Simic, but I think we should move away from that archetype. I think I am more into ramp (Rashmi etc.) or cheating (Show and Tell effects). Maybe Simic is just good enough that we dont really need to plan too much for it. I dunno.
Still torn about Azorius. Do you think we have enough control in the format as-is? Can we do creature control with blinks? I want to move away from walls and wraths if possible, but I also want control (in whatever form we decide to do it) to be viable. Its important to me that there is room for control players to have plenty of fun drafting and playing, but its also important to keep the pace of the game. I think where we are now is a good mix of aggro/midrange slugfest plus control elements that cut them down and build CA over time.
3 weeks ago
My attention was just drawn to Morbid Curiosity, which seems like a much more pleasant way to make the combo go off. I might draft up a new version accounting for that.
3 weeks ago
Off the top of my head for a sac deck the best black spells you can get for drawing are.
Your best option in my opinion is 1.Smothering Abomination he does however pack a bit of a double edge sword. With free/cheap sac outlets he can be insane.2.Key to the City can be costly but effective in getting your point across. It comes with the added bonus that with inspiring statuary you no longer need to discard to draw 2 next turn instead using it to help discount your other spells which makes up for the 2 mana tax to draw.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited Your already playing big 5 drops might as well play one that is hard to remove in a token shell and can do some work on its own. (hes less than 10 a piece). 1-2 should be fine. The same goes for sorin who i last checked was under $5 dollars.
4.Vampiric Rites is slightly costly but a better sac outlet then bontu is for card advantage.
5.Asylum Visitor cards that can continue to give you cards through out a long game are better than ones that are one ofs. especially on aristocrats plan. The downside is one of you needs to be in top deck mode to use her. So unless you plan to dump your hand fast she may die before even drawing you one card. +Combos with key to the city.
Altar's Reap while not the greatest draw spell in the world in a dedicated sac deck it can be a good way to dodge exile/threaten effects while also giving you some advantage.
Morbid Curiosity exists in the same vein of alters reap but it costs you greatly in board presence. The more you're willing to hurt yourself in a high artifact deck the better the pay off. in your list your best targets are Angel of Sanctions Weaponcraft Enthusiast As they either fill their job by dying or can come back on their own.
Glint-Sleeve Siphoner has already proven herself as an amazing dark confidant. She works better for high cmc decks than the OG. Her downside is you need a way to fuel her energy which is hard to do in your deck. Though she can self sustain a little bit. Aetherworks marvel might be a 1-2 of option or gonti's heart for energy production.
Cryptbreaker while prefering to be with his zombie brothers is very self sufficient especially if you are doubling token production. Admittedly he is held back in a deck that runs no other zombies.
i'm making one major note. Marionette Master is something you really should be running. You are trying to sacrifice both artifacts and creatures to get your point across. She goes well in both. You are already stretching into 2 diffrent types of aristocrat decks it makes no sense not to use at least 2 of the cards that goes into both.
1 month ago
Why is Morbid Curiosity a good card in this deck? what would you sacrifice? The servos have 0 cmc, so no cards will be drawn. The big creatures in the deck serve a nice role attacking and sacrificing Thraben and the like for 3 mana to draw 1-2 cards isnt very good deal.