|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|New Phyrexia (NPH)||Common|
|Promo set for Gatherer (PSG)||Common|
|Promo Set (000)||Common|
Combos Browse all
(symbol:U/P can be paid with either or 2 life.)
Look at target player's hand.
Draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (36)||rebelteddybear , ibraJG84 , ironax , dplerner , Sparky41 , Duct-Tape-Guardian , pskinn01 , TheAlmostHero , TheAnnihilator , Va1mar , Swamy , Wiggins , TheRealPeaches , MoJoMiXuP , CastleSiege , kpral , golgarigirl , CoolBeansBrattah , twospires , BBBr0ny , prete182 , Crimson6 , Matgic , Sergal , Paradise_Collectibles , EnividWodahs , FoamEagle , 2austin5 , TehDelta , frederiklw , Venser_the_Sojoner , Vergil_Redgrail , thetechzombie , CampbellStev , LTmiller ,|
|Want (4)||jtfran02 , Doc508 , SpaghettiToastBook , Spinalripper|
Gitaxian Probe Discussion
4 days ago
Yo buddio, let's have a look shall we:
- Gitaxian Probe - What're you hoping to actually achieve with it? Storm decks run it as a free draw w/ doomsday, free spell that cantrips whilst generating info about what the control players are up to, why this over something like Opt for you - or something higher impact? I just don't see where this fits into your overall strategy. I'd rather run Telepathy over this and I'm not a Telepathy fan. I'd just want something higher impact.
- Spell Pierce - Sure, meta call - totally fine.
- Prismatic Lens - Yeah, filtering for coloured mana when you're going off w/ Paradox is hella good in certain scenarios. Fine inclusion.
- Sphere of Resistance - Personally hate Sphere, we run a pseudo turbo xerox gameplan, a lot of cheap cantrips and mana rocks, Sphere is super bad for these, great if your meta is all fast combo and food chain though. Decent silver bullet.
- Reshape is fine. You're gonna love Transmute when you get it. Paradox all day erry day.
- Whir of Invention - Yeah fine. Pretty 'okay' feeling card when I've played it; very infrequently been impressed by it, but always at least decent.
- Blue Sun's Zenith - I mean, I guess. Rev is really good w/ lifegain and the double GAA4 benefit. Honestly don't see the 'can function as a win condition' as much as a pro considering how the deck currently operates.
- Thirst for Knowledge Yeah, I used to run it myself, Manifold is getting cut actually too actually.
- Glen Elendra Archmage u wot m9? Nah. I'm not down with this. I'd suggest introducing a Counterbalance package if you want repeatable countermagic. 6 mana for double negate is super clunky. Bad! Stop!
- Consecrated Sphinx - Yup. Top banana that card, in the right matchup. Sometimes a man just needs haymakers.
Overall a fine list, but yeah, not liking 1, 7, 9 and iffy on 4. I'd also suggest another piece of spot removal if you're dropping wrath. Reality Shift is tutorable with Muddle, Merchant Scroll and functions as a Paradox/Scepter wincon by exiling people's entire libraries (providing they have at least one valid target).
5 days ago
First post so bear with me. I have an Ensnaring Bridge from stronghold that I don't use for my deck, its in quite good condition, and I am looking for cards to add to my ur-dragon deck or my talrand deck. I also have some cards lying around not in use like Ramos, Dragon Engine Birds of Paradise and a foil prerelease Settle the Wreckage that I did open, but all three are in good condition. The following cards are some of the things I am looking for. Scourge of the Throne Patriarch's Bidding Expropriate Gauntlet of Power High Tide Pact of Negation Rhystic Study Mystic Remora Ancient Tomb some combination of these (as well as others) that adds up to roughly the price of the card is what im interested in. I can trade it to my local store for around 30 dollars so I am looking to get closer to the 40 value if possible. other cards may work, just list your request. I am new to the site so I am unsure of what to check outside of my inbox or the comment thread. Thanks!!
1 week ago
I didn't check on this site for quite some time - now i'd like to respond and comment on your list, deadmanwaltzing, cause I also did some playtesting and changes to mine. I'll create a deck soon to also show you my current list.
Last time I asked a lot of questions regarding some cardchoices. Maybe you didn't feel like answering to all of these, so this time I'm gonna just outline the cardchoices that are different in my list from yours. Also, I'd like to tell you that I agree with most of your decisions regarding your development of a competitive Arbiter-List and that I respect you as the more experienced player in this regard.
I started playing EDH about a year ago in a quite competitive playgroup (General Tazri, Teferi, Derevi, Prosh, meanwhile also a Thrasios/Tymna list, a Keranos, a Rashmi and a Kaho which is very fun to play against). Starting with Brago I shifted to GAA4 because it felt like my Brago was always a bit slow in comparism to the others at the table... With GAA4 everyone is frowning at your Commander, hoping that it doesn't come down in T1-2 :) also I do like the control-playstyle and the interaction it provides.
Well, the different cardchoices in my list are:
- Gitaxian Probe
- Spell Pierce | I don't run Flusterstorm
- Prismatic Lens
- Sphere of Resistance | I don't run Torpor Orb
- Reshape | Don't have Transmute Artifact yet
- Whir of Invention
- Blue Sun's Zenith | I don't run Sphinx's Revelation but not 100% sure
- Thirst for Knowledge | I don't run Manifold Insights
- Glen Elendra Archmage | Instead of Wrath of God because I feel like non-creature spells are a lot stronger and both the Yisan-Deck and the Derevi-Deck aren't present in my playgroup anymore
- Consecrated Sphinx still playtesting - current experiences: good in midrange- and, prism-matchups. Actually awfully slow in most games against combo or combo/control
Cards I don't run from your list are:
- Into the Roil
- Relic of Progenitus
- Mystic Gate
- and Mana Drain & Timetwister which are obvious inclusions but I couldn't afford them yet.
I currently think about how to get rid of Staff of Domination because it feels clunky lots of times when drawn to early and Sensei's Divining Top also does his job together with Scepter. I will playtest an Academy Ruins for the case that Top gets countered. Also Lotus Petal might be good in matchups like General Tazri and Thrasios/Tymna where they are quite slowed with Arbiter in play and you want fast mana as soon as possible...
1 week ago
Regarding that: Surgical Extraction is about as superior to Extirpate as Gitaxian Probe is to Peek. There is really no contest. In a format where games are won on turn 4 (3 sometimes), which gives you 10cmc to work with FOR THE WHOLE GAME, 1cmc makes a huge difference!
2 weeks ago
Why Lonely Sandbar and Remote Isle? You would be better off using something like Opt. Costs one mana less, scrys, and draws a card. Gitaxian Probe would also be useful. I understand the utility of deciding to draw a card when you have too many lands, but think about it from the standpoint of that they both enter tapped ayway, so you might as well just cast a draw spell.
Nice deck though, you don't see Merfolk tribal in commander very often, let alone a good one.
2 weeks ago
Since you already have Grixis Shadow and Jeskai control, you should already have the most expensive pieces of UR Gifts Storm (fetchlands, remands, serum visions). The deck is very consistent, and is overall inexpensive to build compared to other modern decks. It is somewhat difficult to master, but not so difficult to learn enough to start winning.
Another option is Infect. Many people say it's dead since the banning of Gitaxian Probe, but it's honestly just as fast as it used to be, just a little less safe since you don't have as much access to what's in your opponent's hand. It's been popping up more recently since it has a good matchup against non-interactive decks that are becoming more common. It's very straightforward and easy to learn, but if you don't have Noble Hierarchs it could be pretty pricy for you to get.
Honestly it sounds like the deck you want to get might as well be Jund/Abzan. It's cheaper now than its been in the past, and has game against any deck in the format. Between the Eldrazi Tron you and your friend are building and Jund/Abzan and your already-built Death's Shadow, you just need to get the reps in and learn some of the intricacies to any of them to start appreciating them more. Most of the decks you listed really do require an investment in time to learn how to pilot them well. Just stick with one that you think you'll like and you'll do fine.
2 weeks ago
For more cards to double counters on permanents look into Fatal Attraxion - Atraxa, Counters (shameless plug)