|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masterpiece Series: Kaladesh Inventions (MPS)||Mythic Rare|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Mythic Rare|
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
- A question regarding the use of Mox Opal.
- Can I tap multiple Mox Opal's for mana before sacrificing them?
- Can I tap a second mox opal for mana before statebased actions?
- Does the player on the play have an upkeep first turn?
- If I have a Scrap Trawler in play, a Walking Ballista on the graveyard, and I sack a Mox Opal, would Walking Ballista return to my hand?
Metalcraft — : Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if you control three or more artifacts.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (13)||lolpatrol , Shiromakuro , Skydra2 , Jauntu , Harashiohorn , warcry02 , jrschnoebelen , TehDelta , Vergil_Redgrail , Justinaut , Mousemke , dexxter7 , Azdranax|
|Want (12)||rainbowofdeath , mlouden03 , pskinn01 , Oloro_Magic , GeminiSpartanX , Turtlelover73 , Ariumlegion , edster , Bad_Dog , Enivid , Nemesis , Spinalripper|
Mox Opal Discussion
1 day ago
thanks for all that! as i said, i'm pretty new to all the concepts of the game (especially the meta) and though i understood a fair bit of that, i'm a little confused as to why something like Chrome Mox, Fellwar Stone or Mox Opal are seen as so good. i can kinda understand opal because it's 0 mana and a free artifact i guess, but with fellwar stone i find myself asking why i'd want to pay 2 mana on a turn to get 1 mana of a colour that might not be important to me at all (essentially only being used for colourless mana)... when i could just play a land. i get that you can only play one land per turn but.. idk. sorry if that's a stupid question. thanks for the advice on Bident of Thassa and Coastal Piracy though! i'd been looking at bident for a while but the active ability kinda scared me. also holy shit i didnt know Coat of Arms was a thing and i've been missing out
1 day ago
First and Foremost, You've gotta cut Faerie Aerie. It's a contraption.
It looks like you're all-in on Faerie Tribal, which is fine, but you can cut some of the chaff to make the power in your wheel house more hose-worthy--most notably Coat of Arms. Also, Spellstutter Sprite is pretty good in your meta. You may want to develop a sub-theme (most Oona players choose mill, but without infinite mana combos, you may want to develop Artifacts or some variant on control.)
Finally, You're going to feel pretty slow in most metas out there. You need some cheap, reliable ramp. If you can't afford Moxii, like Chrome Mox or Mox Opal, 2-drops are super good and 3-drops aren't too bad, either. In most of my mid-range decks, I'll run Mind Stone and Fellwar Stone at the bare minimum. Thran Dynamo and Gilded Lotus are also great plays for developing your board or recovering from losing your commander. Another often under appreciated card is Dreamscape Artist which can turn your dead-draws into ramp.
Keep on working at it and I'd suggest breaking the mold from comboing off. Sure it's competative, but it's pretty boring to pilot. My friend and I built one together and it rarely gets played (but it does win when it hits the board). Check it out if you do end up going infinite mana route: Oona Combo Whoa
2 days ago
Why the Mox Opal? You might have quite a few artifacts, but you aren't relying on them, and it just raises the price of the deck further.
2 days ago
5 days ago
I would look into some card draw, since you are running low CMC cards such as Signal Pest, Springleaf Drum, Ornithopter, Memnite, and Mox Opal. That's twenty cards at CMC 1 or lower, plus twenty free lands...Maybe Expose Evil (clues are artifacts, so any investigate cards would work), Pirate's Pillage, Frantic Salvage, or Origin Spellbomb.Serum Tank would run well, as would Tamiyo's Journal or Trading Post.You could also run Nahiri, the Harbinger for a control/search element.
1 week ago
Thanks a lot, Regoober! Yeah, I completely agree with you. In addition to Chrome Mox, the optimized version of this deck would also have a playset of Mox Opals instead of Lotus Petals, as land base built around shock lands. However, I try to build decks that are semi-budget, so they didn't make the cut. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the deck!
1 week ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
2 weeks ago
I would definitely add another Mox Opal, it allows you to get out Ensnaring Bridge and Whir of Invention much earlier. I do agree that it can really help out against some match ups, but dredge really isn't as good as it used to be, and an Ensnaring Bridge is just as helpful.