|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Zombie Spirit
At the beginning of your upkeep, you draw X cards and you lose X life, where X is the number of Zombies you control.
Graveborn Muse Discussion
3 days ago
So the first card that comes to mind is Mindslicer . In Rakdos decks, you can typically tune your 99 to make you the king of top-decks; this is part of the reason reanimating Sire Of Insanity is such a brutal play in decks like Xantcha, Sleeper Agent .
You're likely to be sacrificing a whole butt-ton of creatures. I advise ways to exploit your guys dying: Dictate of Erebos or Grave Pact come readily to mind. Skullclamp is pretty busted if you're going to be sacrificing creatures anyways, and its especially good seeing as you're running Gravecrawler already.
Zombies is one of the oldest archetypes, and thus it has access to a LOT of tribal effects. Cemetery Reaper , Death Baron , Zombie Master , Undead Warchief , Lord of the Accursed and Lord of the Undead are all good ways to pump your team and/or give them extra abilities. (Depending on the meta, you may want to run Bad Moon as well.) Call to the Grave is really good if you can tune the deck to have 2 or fewer non-zombie creatures. Dark Salvation and Liliana's Mastery are both viable cards in this deck. Graveborn Muse is another good card draw engine next to Phyrexian Arena , which I see you're already running. Unholy Grotto gives you a measure of recursion over your zombies. Noxious Ghoul also comes to mind, as does Withered Wretch as a form of one-sided graveyard hate.
One common issue I've seen in a lot of EDH decks is the prevalence of 1-for-1 instant and sorceries. In a majority of EDH games, you're going to have 2-3 opponents, rather than just one; this means you are facing roughly 2-3 times as many cards as you yourself have access to. Cards like Dreadbore and Terminate are good in 1-on-1 formats like Modern, but in EDH I have frequently found them to just not be good enough. I advise you run cards like Fire Covenant , Ashes to Ashes , Volcanic Fallout or Toxic Deluge instead. These have the potential to take out several creatures at the cost of one card, leaving you up that many cards over your opponents.
On a related note, since most games of EDH are decided by card advantage, anything you can do to draw cards will always be welcome. Ambition's Cost , Night's Whisper and the like are good ways to refill your hand. Wheel of Fortune is another good card, but it's about $100 now, so... consider carefully. Light Up the Stage is another one to consider. While Rakdos is good at topdecking, managing to draw extra cards means it is more likely to hit.
Looting effects tend to be very good in zombie decks, which have access to graveyard recursion. Faithless Looting is essentially card advantage in your deck, because you can discard things like Gravecrawler at no cost. Similarly, I advise running a bigger reanimation package (supplementing your Animate Dead ) to get back fatties your opponents may have killed or you may have discarded. Reanimate , and Necromancy are good cards -- if you want to get spicy, Dance of the Dead is a card most people have never played against before, mostly because it isn't nearly as good as the other three. But I figured I'd mention it. Also, a bigger reanimation package means things like Entomb or Buried Alive become exponentially better.
With regard to planeswalkers, Liliana, Death's Majesty is a good card for any zombie deck.
With regard to your lands: I don't think Blighted Fen is very good, and Temple of the False God should be replaced with Ancient Tomb if at all possible. If you want good utility lands that can kill pesky creatures, I advise Blast Zone . If you are able, I advise running Bloodstained Mire and/or the off-color fetches in order to grab your Blood Crypt or Smoldering Marsh . These fetches are in effect extra dual lands.
If you have a lot of recursion, which I see you do in things like Phyrexian Reclamation , you may have luck with pox-style cards. Pox is one of the most brutal cards to resolve in EDH, and Smallpox and Innocent Blood also can be played to great effect. Note that these get around hexproof, shroud and indestructible.
Depending on how hateful your meta is, you may want to consider some pretty mean red cards. Changing your land base slightly will give you access to Blood Moon , Magus of the Moon and Ruination , while Price of Glory will make people think twice about casting counter-magic. If your meta is as blue-heavy as mine, Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast are also fine considerations. If you end up running a lot of lord effects, you may want to consider Pyroclasm or Anger of the Gods , as your guys won't die if they're big enough. Possibility Storm is a good way to disrupt combo players -- I should know, as I play Storm in cEDH.
Because black has literally only one card designed to destroy artifacts ( Gate to Phyrexia ), red is a welcome addition to the team. By Force is a favorite of mine, but Shattering Spree , Vandalblast and Shatterstorm are also good ideas.
Rocks are great in EDH, especially if they're only 1 or 2 mana. I advise Talisman of Indulgence to replace Rakdos Locket and Mind Stone to replace Commander's Sphere . Coldsteel Heart is good as well, though it enters tapped, just like Charcoal Diamond and Fire Diamond . Thought Vessel is also worth considering.
Good luck with deck building!
6 days ago
As a general rule, adding things to slow your opponents down is a good way to start taking a deck to the next level. Idk how much search your meta has, but Ashiok, Dream Render works wonders against enemy tutors while also providing a level of graveyard hate.
Liliana, Death's Majesty is well under $10 and should be strongly considered for any zombie deck.
Unholy Grotto is a utility land you might be interested in, as it provides some recursion for your zombies.
You also seem to be relatively light on card draw or selection. Ponder , Preordain and Brainstorm are all good cantrips, especially if conjoined with shuffle effects like Evolving Wilds or Terramorphic Expanse . Personally, I like Night's Whisper and Chart a Course as two-for-ones, but I see you're running Phyrexian Arena ; that is a solid permanent which produces card advantage. Graveborn Muse is also a similar consideration, although the life loss may need to be countered by a Whip of Erebos or the like. In a similar vein, something like Slate of Ancestry may work well with the token-producers you have; Curse of Disturbance seems a good consideration to add to the token-package. It's worth noting that a large majority of EDH games are decided by card advantage.
I'm not sure how well Crypt of Agadeem works; I've had poor results with it. You may want to just run a basic land instead.
The Undermine slot is likely better served with Sinister Sabotage . In a format with 40 life, making an opponent lose 3 life is equivalent to draining them 1.5 life in a 20 life format. In all likelihood, you may just want the ability to filter your draws or (ideally) to bin a zombie, then cast it from the graveyard with Gisa and Geralf without needing to worry about wasting a draw on it.
I've also not had good experience with 3-mana artifact mana-producers. I suggest Dimir Signet and Talisman of Dominance instead of Mana Geode and Chromatic Lantern . Chromatic Lantern really only becomes strictly necessary in 4- or 5-color decks, and since you're 2, it seems superfluous.
I always like seeing a list with Exquisite Blood in it; you should run Sanguine Bond as well, as these two together produce an auto-win. Also, if you put a way to grant lifelink (such as the aforementioned Whip of Erebos ), Sanguine Bond begins to act as a pseudo damage-doubler.
Depending on your meta and whether there are other creature-based black decks, Bad Moon may be a good insert as an anthem effect. Similarly, barring an over-abundance of artifact decks, you may want to include Ashes to Ashes as a two-for-one removal spell.
Since UMA came out, Entomb is only a few dollars; Buried Alive acts similarly. So I advise adding that, as well as reanimation effects like Animate Dead , Necromancy or Reanimate . Being able to produce a Grave Titan turn two is always a massive plus. But don't feel limited to just Grave Titan , though; things like Helldozer are good reanimation targets as well. If you just want big, black fatties, Massacre Wurm and Phyrexian Obliterator are two of my favorites (though they're relatively expensive).
Good luck with the zombies. The living dead are bosses.
1 month ago
Dedicated zombie tribal could be cool, and it seems you're already headed in that direction, so I'd check for any specific zombie lords you're missing ( Lord of the Undead for example) if you want to pursue that direction for your deck.
As for specific adds and subtracts;
Subtracts; Killing Wave (people will just pay the life for what they want to keep, I'd replace this with Torment of Hailfire or Exsanguinate or an actual board wipe). Bontu's Last Reckoning almost makes you skip your entire next turn just so you can cast Damnation for one less mana. I'd recommend Mutilate over it if anything. Cruel Edict is bad, Liliana's Triumph and various other cards are much better for this effect, probably including Innocent Blood . Liliana's Elite is probably mediocre most of the time, Liliana's Reaver is just bad. Graveyard Marshal isn't actually great for zombies, there are lots of better ways to make zombie tokens if you want. I wouldn't recommend him. Desecration Demon will probably never be useful in EDH so I wouldn't recommend him, if your opponents really can't just handle taking the 6 damage to the face in the air then they'll definitely just have a creature to sacrifice to stop it. Its not a good card in EDH at all unfortunately. I think Greed or Erebos, God of the Dead > Arguel's Blood Fast Flip. Also, I wouldn't recommend some of your planeswalkers; i love liliana but some of those cards are downright useless in EDH (if you manage to do a single thing with Liliana, Death Wielder I'd be shocked).
Add; Dictate of Erebos ( Grave Pact with flash). Dark Prophecy , Midnight Reaper and various other similar effects to help you draw more (which I think your deck will want to do, and black has a million options for drawing cards, especially when things die). Definitely Corpse Augur and Graveborn Muse too. Toxic Deluge is also a better board wipe than most of your removal. I'd probably recommend Stitcher's Apprentice as well, to help you get some cards in your graveyard. I'll think of more if you want, there's such a wide variety of cards to use in black zombies.
Also, your deck has multiple tutors, but not really any obvious win conditions to look for. Can you tell me what you think you'll be tutoring for most of the time? I'd say Gray Merchant of Asphodel as its probably your strongest card, but you also don't have much reanimation to back it up a lot of the time.
1 month ago
Hey all! I am back and I am continuing learning how to build my deck. I will keep it short as I am getting ready for bed. I'm the guy who built this as my first non-precon deck ever. I have gotten extremely strong and helpful feedback from here so I wanted to come back and get some more advice on what creatures or other spells to cut. I am going for zombie graveyard play and mill to play with graveyards for now. Please help educate me on how to know what to swap, cut, etc when replacing spells in an existing deck. I don't know what cuts to make for creatures, what counters to run, or what my wincons are even... because right now I do not even have any that I am aware of.
The build: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/where-is-your-scarab-god/
Incoming cards are as follows:
I was going to cut Mystic Remora as when I've played it I have not been to pay the upkeep and play what I needed to out of my hand. This is [u]not[/u] a final cut but I just have not had luck with it. [b]I also was NOT scrying and doing the life loss with Scarab God, I missed all my triggers and felt so dumb after[/b]. But I am not being hard on myself, it is just something I have to get used to and get into the habit of, it is part of Commander anyway! So what I was going to try was Graveborn Muse and Forgotten Creation .
I am going to cut some counterspells too, this list is as of a day or so ago but today I placed the orders for the new cards. I just don't know what to cut and what to run at this point, it seems like I have a TON of firepower now compared to when I first pieced it together just two weeks ago and now the deck has taken on a life of its own. I tried to work on some token generation too.
Also, I have at LEAST $60+ I want to blow at Star City this weekend, any recommendations on heavy hitters I can pick up while I'm saving on cards anyway?? I am thinking maybe Grave Pact and Rise of the Dark Realms . Pickups at Star City possibly include Rot Hulk and Reality Shift .
I am new and am abandoning hope because I don't know what to do and I don't want to waste time or money on stuff when I am not getting the answers I need and no one really wants to take the time to help me. Then I get frustrated because I put so much time into this build and I don't know things due to lack of experience.
2 months ago
Some cards to consider:
- Bojuka Bog : A must include in any black commander deck.
- Boneknitter : Utility, simple as that.
- Corpse Harvester : Out with the old, in with the new... and a swamp!
- Cryptbreaker : So much value in such a small package. Token generating, card draw, good in the early and late game... what is not to love about this card!
- Death Baron : A zombie lord with some extra punch Sure he doesn't get deathtouch himself, but all those 2/2 tokens that are now 3/3 deathtouch.
- Dread Summons : Ever seen those zombie movies with that big hoard that just keeps coming... that's this card. Gives you a bunch of tokens, and recursion bait for your commander.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead : Card title kind of says it all for this one. Obviously not the best in metas with wrath effects coming down every turn, but shines like a copper penny otherwise.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa : So take one creature, throw it under the bus, and get more...
- Grave Titan : Why this thing isn't a zombie I will never know. 6/6 for 6, deathtouch, and brings two friends with it AND when it attacks.
- Graveborn Muse : Card draw based on zombies, who is also a zombie!
- Infernal Caretaker : Mass recursion, either play them out, or discard them back for more effects.
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : Just an all around strong zombie planeswalker.
- Liliana's Mastery : Zombies + an anthem that won't be a big target for removal.
- Lord of the Undead : A low to the ground zombie lord with recursion on a stick.
- Noxious Ghoul : Sweeps out low toughness cards for things you're already doing. Just great value.
- Relentless Dead : A great early drop, and late game it serves as a sac target + recursion.
- Shepherd of Rot : Yes it hits you, but this can be such a major threat.
- Undead Warchief : Cheaper zombies, and bigger zombies. All in one convenient package.
- Awaken the Erstwhile : Disruption, plain and simple. Sure it hurts your hand too, but you are the one with all the zombie based anthems.
- Victim of Night : Doomblade 2.0, but hits black creatures.
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier : You'll have so many tokens kicking around to exploit that she's just a straight tutor, and if she ever hits the graveyard just use her again with Scarab God.
- Fleshbag Marauder : Hurts them a lot more than you, and enter the battlefield abilities are great with Scarab around.
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight : Solid 4/5 Menace for 4, got the extra 6 mana though and he brings friends who also have menace.
- Wonder : Flying zombies... yep, that's scary.
- Pull from Tomorrow : Nice draw on an instant with the added benefit to pitch something for Scarab to target.
- Price of Fame : Legendary killer + Surveil 2... love it.
- Sinister Sabotage : Counterspell + Surveil... love it too.
- Paradox Haze : You've got a couple effects that trigger on upkeep, why not double up?
- The deck currently seems to be going in two directions, you have a large zombie theme which I love, but you also have a minor mill theme which seems out of place.
- Advanced Stitchwing : Slow for what it gives, even on the bounce back it comes back tapped.
- Apprentice Necromancer : This is one I'm on the fence suggesting, it's a one use for one turn only.
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born : This guy is beast, but he works best in a deck build around him.
- Lamplighter of Selhoff : Slow, for his effect.
- Merciless Eternal : He's not bad, just a lot better things to include in the 3 cost bracket.
- Phenax, God of Deception : Love this guy, really do, but he's out of place here because he's a mill guy who loves big butts.
- Relentless Skaabs : This guy does everything you don't want as he hurts your graveyard in order to even hit play.
- Servant of Tymaret : Slow with high cost. In order to make the best use of him you have to be attacking, and if the way isn't clear that means a 3 mana tax just for 1 life on each opponent.
- Spiteful Returned : Don't hate it, but better things out there.
- Stitchwing Skaab : Suffers from the same as Advanced Stitchwing.
- Undead Alchemist : This guy can go either way, but the way I look at him is generally people have more cards in their decks than life, so it's easier to take out their life.
- Vindictive Lich : This guy is fun, though for his cost there is a lot more out there.
- Exotic Orchard : Risky unless you know your playgroup always has one of your colors, otherwise it's just a colorless and a swamp or island would be just as good.
- Leechridden Swamp : Slows you down for a minor effect.
- Path of Ancestry : Phenax is the only other god creature, so even if you keep him in it's very slow for the benefit it probably will never get the chance to give.
- Coat of Arms : I love this card, I really do, but it's a calculated risk and I find zombies are usually too slow of it. Run up against a goblin or elf deck and this will do more for your opponent.
- Mindcrank : This is another I'm on the fence with as it pairs really well with Scarab.
- Vanquisher's Banner : Good card, though you're not casting all those tokens so you're only getting a bit of a benefit from it.
- Liliana Vess : Good card, out of place in this deck unless you are going heavier into the mill.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited : Just completely out of place for zombie tribal.
- Glimpse the Unthinkable : One of those mill cards, it suffers as a one of.
- Rise from the Grave : Expensive for effect.
- Ruthless Disposal : This isn't bad in this deck, but compared to Morbid Slip for example it lacks that added shine.
- Curse of Disturbance : So much politics, this is VERY meta dependent as to if players fall for the bait.
- Quest for the Gravelord : This can work out, but more often then not stuff isn't dying fast enough or it just gets pinged with early removal.
- Search for Azcanta Flip: More at home in a non-creature strategy.
- Torment of Scarabs : Most people can play around this with not too much fuss, and it gives all the choice to them. I'd prefer some targeted removal.
2 months ago
2 months ago
2 months ago
Heya Dazzla, Scarab God is definitely a fun deck. Going for the synergy build is pretty good. Here might be some cards you can consider as well.
- Liliana, the Last Hope , she stalls, she recurs, and as her ult she gives you recurring Zombies at the end step at each of your turn, she is pretty much one of the best cards you can acquire for your deck. Her price albeit is rising exponentially, I would try obtain one.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead , pretty much the ult version of the above Liliana. It stacks and progressively gets worse the longer someone doesn't get rid of it.
- Training Grounds , reduces the cost of your commanders ability as well as a few other creatures that you run.
- Cemetery Reaper , another lord as well as gravehate for other players.
- Havengul Lich , Fun card, but very mana intensive, great for a creature based meta.
- Mystic Remora / Rhystic Study / Phyrexian Arena , Card draw engines, a must for any decent decks.
- Graveborn Muse , a high risk high reward card, as said earlier card draw is essential.
Hope that helps and feel free to ask for any advice!
Graveborn Muse occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%