|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Rivals of Ixalan (RIX)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Pirate
Whenever another creature you control dies, create a colorless Treasure artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
Pitiless Plunderer Discussion
2 days ago
Budget upgrades to consider:
- Pitiless Plunderer > Syndicate Messenger
- Pawn of Ulamog > Knight of Obligation
- Zulaport Cutthroat > Knight of Sorrows
- Reveillark > Orzhov Racketeers
- Archon of Justice > Revenant Patriarch
- Grim Haruspex > Spirit of the Spires
- Mentor of the Meek > Vizkopa Confessor
- Plaguecrafter > Forbidding Spirit
- Carrion Feeder > Orzhov Advokist
- Doomed Traveler > Purge the Profane
- Remorseful Cleric > Beckon Apparition
- Dark Prophecy > Knight of the Last Breath
- Swords to Plowshares > Orzhov Charm
- Crush Contraband > Expose to Daylight
- Fumigate > Culling Sun
- Read the Bones > Bankrupt in Blood
- Twilight Drover > One Thousand Lashes
- Underworld Connections > Pillory of the Sleepless
- Commander's Sphere > Orzhov Cluestone
Can add all these upgrades for about $14. Most of these cards do something when other creatures die which triggers Teysa. Repeatable abilties and effects are very good in Commander.
Nonbudget cards to consider adding:
If you like some these suggestions I offer more help.
Good luck with your deck.
3 days ago
Dimir House Guard and Fleshwrither are creatures that can both tutor for cards you need or be sacrificed for your benefit. Pitiless Plunderer is a nice creature that benefits from your creatures dying. Krav, the Unredeemed is another card that helps you sacrifice faeries from Bitterblossom . Rhystic Study is also a good card draw engine.
1 week ago
Decided I wanted to spice up my boring Invent Superiority upgrade and turn it into a super janky casual combo/control deck based around the Sword of the Meek and Thopter Foundry combo. Basic idea is to play a bunch of cheap artifact creature generators like Genesis Chamber , Golem Foundry , Retrofitter Foundry , Efficient Construction , Hidden Stockpile , Thopter Spy Network , Flamewright , Loyal Apprentice , and Sly Requisitioner to get as many artifact chumps out as I can per turn, and use them for two purposes - to feed Breya, Etherium Shaper ’s removal to control the board state and stave threats while we find our combo, as well as to feed Kuldotha Forgemaster so he can tutor out our win con - Sword of the Meek , Thopter Foundry , and Ashnod's Altar .
Once we have all the pieces out we have a couple of options on how to proceed, depending on which auxiliary creatures we have. Ideally, we have either Orc Sureshot or Zulaport Cutthroat / Vindictive Vampire out when the combo goes off to wipe all of our opponents creatures or just kill everyone outright respectively. If all we have are the above combo pieces, we just go infinite and make a ton of thopters, hoping no one has a board wipe before our next turn rolls around. Having Pitiless Plunderer out at this point can also be huge, as he generates a ton of colored mana for us, and combined with Dark Prophecy we can dig through the deck to find any of the above creatures and cast them with the treasures we’ve made. We’ve also featured a host of other artifact tutors that can either search out our combo pieces directly, search out Kuldotha Forgemaster so he can tutor the pieces, or transmute into specific cards we need.
My main questions are:
- Are there any good passive artifact creature generators I’m missing here? Preferably ones that don’t cost any mana to use, or cost 1 at most.
- Are there any fun (and inexpensive) etb/death triggers you think I could include? I considered Butcher of Malakir , but her casting cost is more expensive than Orc Sureshot for essentially the same end result.
- Most importantly, does anyone have ideas for wrangling this manabase? This is my biggest concern right now, and compiling mana for a four colored deck is not easy on a budget. Blue and black comprise the majority of the important cards in here, but since Breya costs 1 of each of the four colors to cast, red and white are realistically just as important as the other two. I don’t want to be spending 5+ dollars on lands here. I’ve considered the talisman cycle, but most of those are decently pricey as well for what they are. Thoughts?
1 week ago
Hey Captain, how's the deck coming along? There's another infinite combo to consider adding and it's powerful with many different cards in the deck including Teysa:
- Leonin Relic-Warder + Animate Dead + Zulaport Cutthroat or Blood Artist or Falkenrath Noble or equivalent = infinite life loss of opponents and you gain life. Warden and Animate is a two card infinite dies triggers loop and their both two drops.
How it works:
- Warden has to be in your graveyard, but that is not difficult with all the sac outlets or Buried Alive .
- Cast Cutthroat or have him already on the battlefield. Cutthroat or equivalent needs to be on the battlefield before you create the dies loop.
- Cast Animate and animate Warden. When Warden ETB target Animate and exile it. This now creates a loop of sacing Warden and reanimating it with Animate. It's a dies loop because when Animate leaves the battlefield you sac the creature that it was enchanting. Since you enchanted Warden with Animate this lets Warden exile Animate thus it leaves the battlefield. When Animate leaves the battlefield Warden is saced and when Warden leaves the battlefield Animate comes out of exile back onto the battlefield able to reanimate Warden who's in the graveyard.
It's a dies loop since Warden is being saced over and over again by Animate; it's dying therefore this is infinite dies triggers from Cutthroat. Warden has a leave the battlefield ability and if this ability happens as a result of him dying then he will trigger Teysa meaning double triggers from any dies abilities you have on the battlefield from this loop.
Other than Cutthroat doing infinite opponent life loss, add any other powerful card with a dies ability that triggers when other creatures die or a sac outlet. Here's some examples:
- Pawn of Ulamog : infinite Eldrazi tokens, infinite colorless mana.
- Pitiless Plunderer : infinite treasures, infinite color mana of any color.
- Grim Haruspex or Harvester of Souls : draw your deck and find Reliquary Tower . Tower is a land to consider because of Skullclamp which can draw a ton of cards.
- Requiem Angel : infinite 1/1 Spirit tokens.
- Elenda, the Dusk Rose : infinite +1/+1 counters.
- Ashnod's Altar : infinite colorless mana by using Warden as continuous sac fodder.
- Blasting Station : infinite damage to opponents because Warden is constantly ETB which untaps Station.
- Razaketh, the Foulblooded : lots of tutor effects paying 2 life each time Warden is saced.
You can break the loop easily which is important. As long as there's another creature in any graveyard you can target it with Animate. When Warden dies and Animate comes out of exile and back onto the battlefield target a different creature in a graveyard, not Warden. Best not to create the loop unless you can break it :)
Using or adding a sac outlet to the loop is also good. Adding for example Razaketh, the Foulblooded lets you have a lot of tutor effects by paying 2 life each time you sac Warden which can be over and over again. Razaketh's sac trigger can be used at instant speed thus you can target Warden while the loop is happening and use him as sac fodder to tutor for lots of cards. Warden is going to die anyway and when he does back onto the battlefield Animate comes to reanimate him so it doesn't matter how Warden gets into the graveyard when he has Animate in exile. Razaketh is another reason to add Buried Alive because if you get him into your graveyard you can reanimate him faster with Karmic Guide . Letting you begin the process of tutoring for all the combo pieces starting with Warden.
1 week ago
Guys, I think he wants to sac those creatures to other effects, since he said no self-sacrificing creatures, so Thrulls are just spinning wheels. Unfortunately, the effect OP is looking for is pretty unusual, as evidenced by Su-Chi 's $50 price tag (screw the Reserved List). The best you're going to do outside the original examples is treasure and scion makers like Dire Fleet Hoarder , Gleaming Barrier , Pitiless Plunderer , and Carrier Thrall . That's why most people choose to make tokens and sac them for mana through an intermediary like Ashnod's Altar , Phyrexian Altar , etc. get the mana through death-matters triggers on cards like Black Market and Pitiless Plunderer .
1 week ago
1 week ago
Hey, for a first or second deck well done :)
Here's some clarification about Teysa's ability. For a card to trigger her ability the card has to say dies, goes to the graveyard or put into a graveyard. A sacrifice activated ability doesn't trigger Teysa.
In the first comment suggested Burnished Hart will not trigger Teysa, you will only get two lands when Hart is sacrificed. Sacrifice in this case is an activated ability it's not a dies ability. You still need sacrifice (sac outlets) to sac creatures to trigger die abilities, but the act of sacrificing and what ever happens with the sac outlet after doing it doesn't trigger Teysa.
Budget cards (each $5 or less) that give you value (most are repeatable) when they or other cards die to consider adding:
- Pawn of Ulamog
- Pitiless Plunderer : works with tokens.
- Dark Prophecy : works with tokens.
- Grim Haruspex
- Zulaport Cutthroat : works with tokens.
- Blood Artist : works with tokens.
- Doomed Traveler : one drop who combos with Teysa and Skullclamp to draw 12 cards for three mana, three separate equips.
- Hunted Witness : same as Traveler.
- Solemn Simulacrum
- Reveillark : if Lark leaves the battlefield as a result of dying then it will trigger Teysa.
- Abyssal Gatekeeper
Low mana cost creatures (one and two drops) with 1 toughness who give you value when they die are at a premium here because Teysa is busted with Skullclamp and 1 toughness creatures is what you want with Skullclamp. Of course with a sac outlet you can sac any creature that's equipped with Skullclamp, but 1 toughness lets the creature die without needing a sac outlet and that's helpful because you won't always have a sac outlet.
Other cards to consider:
- Caves of Koilos
- Isolated Chapel
- High Market : sac outlet.
- Vault of the Archangel
- Diabolic Intent : powerful budget tutor.
- Open the Armory : tutor for Skullclamp or Deathmantle. Just being able to get Skullclamp is worth it.
- Viscera Seer : sac outlet that helps what you draw.
- Ashnod's Altar : sac outlet that makes mana.
- Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim : sac outlet, repeatable life gain and exile.
- Carrion Feeder : sac outlet.
- Karmic Guide : reanimation and combos with Reveillark.
- Anguished Unmaking
- Mirror Entity : pumps all tokens and creatures until EOT.
- Sun Titan : reanimation.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Archetype of Courage
- Archetype of Finality
- Butcher of Malakir
- Demon of Wailing Agonies
- Geist-Honored Monk
- High Priest of Penance
- Jazal Goldmane
- Ministrant of Obligation
- Orzhov Enforcer
- Skirsdag High Priest
- Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts
- Vizkopa Vampire
- Vampire Nighthawk
- Edge of the Divinity
- Increasing Devotion
- Necromantic Selection
- Promise of Power
- Banishing Light
- Whip of Erebos
Good luck with your deck.
1 week ago
If switching to Karador, there is a bunch of options you can go for. Obvious notion aside, it will be a creature heavy build. Depending on your meta albeit, you can go quite a couple different ways. You can go heavy reanimation route with a multitude of ETB/LTB effects. Or you can go dredge heavy if your meta isn't too grave hate oriented. There is also attrition route as well using hatebears and all the self sac'ing route to clear the board to establish your presence. Lastly there is also Karador Enchantment route as well.
If it were me, I would consider moving towards an enchantment/control route. Using creatures to pull off threats and remove things I don't like. Having a consistent sac outlet on the field and whenever I see something I want gone, I will either Reclamation Sage , Ravenous Chupacabra , or Plaguecrafter it. With Smothering Tithe it makes it get so many treasure tokens, plus support from Pitiless Plunderer as well. Tutors are a must for consistency, but you can also dig for cards using Disciple of Bolas or Corpse Augur . Even Grim Haruspex , their are plenty of options. The only thing is to streamline the deck and the budget you have available.
Pitiless Plunderer occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.04%
W/B (Orzhov): 0.3%
U/B/R (Grixis): 0.06%