Artifact Creature — Construct
When Noxious Gearhulk enters the battlefield, you may destroy another target creature. If a creature is destroyed this way, you gain life equal to its toughness.
Price & Acquistion
Noxious Gearhulk Discussion
2 days ago
Abbot of Keral Keep is at most a 2-of in a deck with so many relatively expensive spells as this one (you'd rarely want to play it turn 3 in the hope of hitting a 1-mana spell, right?). 2 more Thoughtseize would be pretty good, though.
Implement of Malice... I suspect that it is too expensive in mana, but it trades for a card from opponents hand, replenishes itself, and if you could find a little bit more artifact, it could enable delirium, so you could play Whispers of Emrakul instead of Wrench Mind.
Noxious Gearhulk also fits the description: You get a decently sized creature, kills another creature, and gets a bunch of life. Only problem is the cost (at 6 mana it's probably over the top of the curve). Actaully, if your curve went that high, you could add the titans too.
3 weeks ago
Thran Temporal Gateway has the potential to be amazing, I just know it. Currently experimenting with it within esper control and mono black. I, too use it for the big dinos, but it's also good for summoning Razaketh, the Foulblooded, Torgaar, Famine Incarnate, or even a Noxious Gearhulk-- for 4 colorless, at instant speed. If you can get it working it is guaranteed fun times.
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
Week 2 Changes:
- Temple of the False God becomes Cabal Stronghold
- Vampiric Rites becomes Carrion Feeder
- Fell Shepherd becomes Kokusho, the Evening Star
- Harvester of Souls becomes Noxious Gearhulk
- Morkrut Banshee becomes Cryptbreaker
- Reaper from the Abyss becomes Pawn of Ulamog
- Necromantic Selection becomes Undead Gladiator
- Gonti, Lord of Luxury becomes Noosegraf Mob
- The Eldest Reborn becomes Viscera Seer
1 month ago
So 1) I have to give props to a good ol' queen reference. 2) your deck is markedly more tier than mine so I won't drop the list, there are a few cards in it you could use. Viridian Emissary is great ramp, Primal Druid isn't bad. Lifecrafter's Bestiary is freaking amazing. Treasure Keeper is, at very least, worth considering. Merciless Executioner is pretty goo. Body Snatcher would support the reanimation subtheme. Solemn Simulacrum is legendary, and Noxious Gearhulk is great late-game removals. Gotta come back from those Dark Confidant uses somehow. Thragtusk is pretty gold and Wurmcoil Engine is also quite fantastic. Fauna Shaman is a necessity and Strionic Resonator is pretty great.
1 month ago
You do not need 27 lands in this deck, especially as it is monocolored (also, why no Cabal Stronghold?). Additionally, Vraska, Scheming Gorgon isn't a great card. A better finisher could be Torment of Hailfire or even beatdown via Noxious Gearhulk. You're also missing the best kill spell in the format - Vraska's Contempt. I have a strict Esper control deck, if you'd like to take a look at it for ideas.
SCORE: 9 | 15 COMMENTS | 1926 VIEWS | IN 5 FOLDERS
1 month ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
1 month ago
You don't need that many wincons, especially since you have tutors. Cut Drain Life and Consume Spirit for more card draw or removal.
Not sure what the role of all the token generators is. You could cut some of them as well. Army of the Damned should give more Zombies than Empty the Pits. Razaketh, the Foulblooded is a good way to make use of tokens.
You don't seem to be running enough creatures to benefit from Mikaeus or Nim Deathmantle. Sepulchral Primordial, Noxious Gearhulk, and Duplicant are always good to recur. Perhaps Tetzimoc, Primal Death or Massacre Wurm for a bit of mass removal?
Myojin of Night's Reach would be good for mass discard.
Cut Basilica Screecher. Doesn't contribute much. You already have Crypt Ghast for extort.