|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Common|
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Vampire Wizard
Sacrifice a creature: Scry 1. (Look at the top card of your library. You may put that card on the bottom of your library.)
|Have (6)||, scotchtapedsleeve , TheAnnihilator , metalmagic , Noobly , Thunderbeard|
|Want (8)||Xydroth , corbinmayne , IndolentFool , Mako , Orpheus124 , Daddy1ong1egs13 , succubi , Coconut42|
Viscera Seer Discussion
6 days ago
Hiya, thanks for the compliments. You do touch on some issues with the deck that are somewhat hard to fix but let's go through your points:
1) They are mainly in there for sheer fun. I like legendary stuff, Krav is a slamdunk in the deck for its abilities, Regna is a pretty angel. That being said, they are high on mana and especially Regna can be a bit lackluster. However, you should read them as "Krav, do awesome stuff, draw Regna". "Regna: meh, draw Krav". I'm never sad when I draw either of them. Either I draw Krav and the Regna I get out it is just gravy or i draw Regna (which is still a 4/4 white flyer with upside) that tutors for Krav.
2) I run: Teysa, Gearhulk, Elesh Norn, Massacre Wurm, Plaguelord, Anguished Unmaking, Vindicate, StP, Return to Dust, Tragic Arrogance, Attrition, Dictate, Abyss and Parallax Wave for removal. That's 2 board wipes (gearhulk and arrogance), 2 conditional wipes (Elesh norn and massacre wurm), 1 onesided wipe (parralax wave). Stuff generally dies. You don't want many board wipes in a board-centric strategy as this one. I could play Damnation but that only plays fine from behind, you don't really want to play that when even or ahead. Imagine having a decent boardstate and someone else plays Avenger of Zendikar . Suddenly I have to sacrifice everything just to halt that player. Gearhulk and Arrogance fix that very neatly on top of disrupting players that rely on too many permanents of the same sort. Granted, they will cost you some enchantments most of the time.
3) They are very low impact that rely on either going infinite (which I don't like) or a commanding boardstate (why are you not winning at that point). Imagine it being turn 9 or something and you draw... a 0/1 that drains the opponent a few times. They do trigger Regna but i'd rather find a card that is useful while also gaining life.
4) True, I'd love for a few more sac outlets but the ones that are free are very low impact (for example Viscera Seer ) and more combo-centric. I use to have Ayli in the deck and she might find a spot again but she's not impactful either on top of being expensive in use (this deck is mana hungry). I really hope for a card that fits in one of the other categories while also having a sac outlet but most of the times those cards are balanced by making the it cost "2B: sac a creature, do something" like Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet .
Just as a generic comment, don't take my list as the best version of Orzhov midrange. Just because I don't play Path to Exile , doesn't mean I have something against the card and therefore you shouldn't either. Truth is, I'd love to play the card but I've stuffed so much in this deck that I have no idea what to cut to make room for it. Same with more sac outlets or pretty much any card in the extensive update history that you can read through. If I had the space, they would probably be in there. It's a curse (I want to play em all) and a blessing (my deck keeps evolving).
1 week ago
Fate Transfer would be another way to remove counters from Undying creatures.
1 week ago
In any deck that likes to reanimate I highly suggest Viscera Seer and Carrion Feeder as well as Blood Artist and Zulaport Cutthroat . Birthing Pod is also extremely helpful to find what you need and also helps get things in your yard.
How do you feel about infinite combos? There are a few of them with karmic guide and two of them that do with Karmic Guide also work with Sun Titan (they all also require a free sac outlet) Reveillark is one that works with guide and not titan, but is very good at reanimating on its own. Saffi Eriksdotter combos with guide, titan, and reveillark and is good for protecting things you want to stay on board. Fiend Hunter combos with guide and titan and is just an all around amazing card. If you like these I have a few more cards to suggest for more easily enabling these combos, but if not I totally get it. Not everyone wants to be a degenerate lol.
I dunno how much you are willing to spend on cards, but Survival of the Fittest is incredibly strong as well.
1 week ago
Mana Geode is strictly better than Manalith . Maybe consider running Darksteel Ingot instead. Flesh out your signet line and don't play lockets or cluestones. You'd be looking at Dimir Signet and Orzhov Signet .
Also DEFINITELY play Teysa Karlov .
1 week ago
Hey thanks for the comment on my Liliana deck. Here is what I'm thinking when I take a look at yours.
I see in your notes you want Butcher of Malakir over his enchantment counterparts. While I agree that reanimating creatures is a strength of black I think you need to evaluate the card in the situation where it can't be reanimated. As a creature he's more fragile than an enchantment and is quite a bit more expensive to cast if you don't have the ability to reanimate him. The average cmc of the deck is leaning to the high side and your land count is a bit low so even though your deck is all about reanimating, these are the types of slots where you can smooth things out. If you run things like Caged Sun or Grave Pact, it lets you Black Sun's Zenith the board without needing to reanimate anything to keep those effects.
Burnished Hart is another spot to lower your curve. I've really like Wayfarer's Bauble . It's half the effect, but also half the mana. Burnished Hart is another reanimation target, but ask yourself how often Burnished Hart is the creature you want to be reanimating.
I may consider cutting Rakshasa Gravecrawler or Vulturous Aven for God-Eternal Bontu . I get that Rakshasa nets you two tokens, but I think the cards Bontu provides would be more impactful. Liliana, Dreadhorde General may fit in nicely here too.
I'd like to see more free sacrifice outlets in here. Phyrexian Altar , Viscera Seer , Carrion Feeder are all ways to get creatures into your graveyard at will. These will make things like Butcher/Gravepact/Dictate/Blood Artist and anything that triggers on death more powerful. Speaking of death triggers, Zulaport Cutthroat seems like he'd fit in here too.
I like Torment of Hailfire or Exsanguinate. I don't think your deck needs two big X finishers and Torment is much more impactful when X is a lower number.
Overall I really like the look of the deck. You have a good focused game plan to work with. The biggest takeaways would be to try and lower the curve and up your mana count a bit. Even though you are all about reanimation, if you can get the same effect on a cheaper card you should at least consider it. Consider how often a particular creature is actually a reanimation target of yours. Like I mentioned above, just because you can reanimate Butcher or Burnished Hart doesn't mean you should. These are the slots where you can pick up some major efficiency.
1 week ago
Well if you want to play some play you can recur them easily with Scribe of the Mindful . I also forgot to mention that Sidisi, Brood Tyrant is a must and do pretty much everything you want with this deck. Nevinyrral's Disk is sweet because you will be able to do it again and again, so good choice, but i feel like you could pair it with some sac outlet like Viscera Seer . And since your deck reaaaaaally want your commander to be on the table you should consider adding Journey to Eternity Flip.
1 week ago
Hey there, I have some suggestions first would be Plaguecrafter you already have two similar effects but the control over the board is always welcome,because it is hard to outgrind Meren when she does her thing.
As Greg said try, to get your hands on as many 1 drop manadorks as you can,so you can speed up your engine because you will draw hate as Meren fast and if you are heavily disrupted in the early stages of the game it can get tricky to get a foothold on The board later on (sidenote Exploration and Burgeoning may also help).
I also enjoy Birthing Pod in my Meren deck as a reapeatable tutor/saccoutlet it can help to get the creatures you need in some situations.
Also maybe add 1-2 additional artifact/enchantment removal spells in case something like Torpor Orb hits the field which would screw you up otherwise.
Last as mentioned try to get your hands on a Viscera Seer free saccoutlets are very powerful in your deck and the cheaper they are the better they become, Phyrexian Tower would also be a major upgrade to your manabase.
Suggestions to cut: Winding Constrictor yes you have a +1counter subtheme but the creatures are either removed if they get too big or not online at all which makes this card more or less a vanillacreature
Wall of Blossoms :it's often used as a filler to thin your deck a little but you would profit more from a simple manadork
Eater of Hope to expensive for a a evasive beater and you could have better saccoutlets if you want a scary creature for The top of your curve Terastodon would be better in my opinion or Attrition for the removalaspect
Extractor Demon would be fin if you had more cards to reanimate creatures of The opponent but the mill alone isn't Wörth it mostly
Vulturous Zombie ...meh
Hope some of these suggestions help with The deck.
1 week ago
Hey, keeping your overall deck heavy black is good, the right direction, because of the low budget white and red are better as splashes mostly just for Edgar. You have about $50 to spend before you reach $100. All my card suggestions will cost half that. For the manabase consider a few more budget dual lands?
- Unclaimed Territory
- Exotic Orchard
- Caves of Koilos
- Battlefield Forge
- Tainted Field
- Foreboding Ruins
- Smoldering Marsh
- Tainted Peak
Can cut basic Mountains and Plains for these dual lands.
Most of my Vampire suggestions are one and two drop Vamps because I think you need more of them since they give you board presence faster because of eminence. The 10 budget Vampires to consider including:
- Shadow Alley Denizen
- Vampire Cutthroat
- Viscera Seer
- Pulse Tracker
- Yahenni, Undying Partisan
- Kalastria Highborn
- Gifted Aetherborn
- Vampire Hexmage
- Vampire Lacerator
- Bloodthrone Vampire
Adding all these additional cards will cost about $24. This leaves another $20+ for a few higher end cards with Edgar such as Bloodline Keeper Flip, Drana, Liberator of Malakir and Shared Animosity . Good luck with your deck.
Viscera Seer occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.09%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.09%
W/B (Orzhov): 0.93%
BGW (Abzan, Junk): 2.94%
RBW (Mardu): 0.5%