|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CMT)||Rare|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Divine vs. Demonic (DDC)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Demon
When Reiver Demon enters the battlefield, if you played it from your hand, destroy all nonartifact, nonblack creatures. They can't be regenerated.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Reiver Demon Discussion
2 weeks ago
i would take out Quicksilver Amulet and [virtue's ruin] because you have the mana to hard cast things and ruin only hits 1/5 the creatures all your other removal does. replace them with Leyline of the Void & Helm of Obedience which is an infinite mill a player combo.
take out [heartless summoning, again, because you have so much ramp anyways. i think Isochron Scepter would be a good add because it you have instant kill spells like Go for the Throat also Victim of Night hits alot of creatures for a 2 mana instant, another good option for scepter could be Darkness.
take out Rag Dealer since he can die so easily and you will put in leyline anyway so you get your value. add in Exsanguinate it can get you your life back and it most cases due to your mana be able to kill your opponents.
Price of Knowledge can be kind of clunky, instead, i think Mindslicer would be better beacause it puts everyone in a top deck situation especially after youve been killing all their resources on field
another triskellion kill is Necrotic Ooze and Phyrexian Devourer. if devourer and skellion is in the gy ooze can use the devourer affect to be huge af, then use triskelions effect to remove its counters to kill someone while the devourer ability is on the stack. its kind of a last ditch sort of thing but it works
Magus of the Coffers works with your Umbral Mantle for infinite mana. also if magus and pila-pala are in the graveyard then [necrotic ooze] becomes infinite mana by itself so you can you that Exsanguinate mentioned earlier to kill your opposition
1 month ago
Reiver Demon doesn't boardwipe unless you cast it from hand, which seems a bit risky given the nature of the deck.
1 month ago
Was looking at your deck some more, and I have a few more ideas, like upping your demon count and a few reanimation spells liiiiike.....
stuff like that...then you could put in reanimation spells like
Maybe a zombie sub theme and add in Shepherd of Rot
If anything definitely add Anger to your deck
or just throw in 30 Shadowborn Apostle haha
If I repeated any cards already in your deck, I apologize. Either was happy building and kick some ace!!
1 month ago
I remember Baleful Force being a house. Basically a great blocker who refills your hand for the next turns creature spamming. Reiver Demon was great for clearing the board. I found it to be more effective than I initially thought it would be and would work well with an artifact theme. War Cadence also great for preventing blocks to end it all quick cause you're racing board wipes. That's some of what I can remember off the top of my head.
2 months ago
Thanks! I've thought about adding Tragic Slip, but decided i'll try and focus on board wipes instead of single removal.
Reiver Demon seems awesome! Will definetely try him.
2 months ago
Really like this deck, you might want to try Reiver Demon for fun. He can be a solid board clear.
2 months ago
Nice deck, love the name!
I have a few suggestions. I think Macar is a good mana ramp into X or big spells kinda guy.
Tap outlets - Koskun Falls(also serves as protection for you), Sword of the Paruns(not sure how good this is-never used it-but might be useful), and Staff of Domination(you'll always have a lot of mana).
Stuff to do with all your gold:
Torment of Hailfire I've seen someone hit by an X=7 hailfire and jesus, it's painful to watch.
Diabolic Revelation(you'll always have cards you want)
Walking Ballista(ehh idk, it's just a good card)
Reiver Demon(could be a one-sided board wipe)
2 months ago
Hey there. Prepare for a wall of text, as I think you're on to something here but could benefit a lot from some additional information.
As I have been building and playing with a Demon deck for a few years now, and my group is transitioning from casual Legacy to Modern, I have a ton of suggestions, but I will try to keep them moderately priced, assuming you are operating on a budget.
The main reason that Demons aren't played by a wide array of people is that they cannot efficiently operate without mana acceleration. Your idea is to go the sacrificing route, but in its current form that is quite inconsistent, as there aren't many demons that you can push out quickly.
I see two main avenues you could go in order to push out Demons fairly quickly and with more consistency, and without having to play weak-ass creatures (That's not the point of a demon deck after all). Outside of Modern it would be considerably easier, but lets go the Modern route.
Route 1: Mana acceleration
The problem in modern is, that most mana acceleration engines are banned. Currently you don't have too many choices in this department and they rely on creature spells, which are prone to removal.
- Crypt Ghast Pretty good card, can let you push out any and all Demons in Turn 5, including Reiver Demon
- Nirkana Revenant 6 Mana is quite a lot, just to boost your actual mana-generation. Not recommended.
- Korlash, Heir to Blackblade Probably your best bet, as it can be incredibly powerful but likely not in your budget.
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx Again, probably not in your budget.
Route 2: Creature cost decrease
- Heartless Summoning Let this one sink in. It can be incredibly powerful and allow you to drop bombs as early as turn 5 and with consistency. If you rely solely on demons and other big stompers, the -1/-1 won't bother you in the slightest.
Specific card critique
- If you play Demons (which don't need any powerup) and plan to sacrifice your smaller creatures (they would die inevitably, the powerup would be wasted), there is no reason to play Unholy Strength.
- Tendrils of Corruption is probably better here than Consume Spirit
- It depends on the circumstance, but to keep you alive Tribute to Hunger can be better than Dark Banishing
- Larceny is just bad, unless multiples of your Imps survive until round 5, which is not a given.
- Oni Possession You might be trading three cards for one removal spell here. First, you sacrifice a creature, then you enchant your own. If the enemy casts a simple removal spell, you lost three cards, for +3/+3 and 3 mana.
Now, for the good part! More Demons, more powerful cards, a better mana curve and a stronger competitive focus!
- Desecration Demon Arguably the best Demon for a budget. He was even features in the duel deck, albeit a different one. And you really need more cards in the 4-mana Slot. With Heartless Summoning it can be played for 2, is a 5/5 flier and let's your opponents sacrifice creatures!
- Mutilate Boardsweeper, in case you end up being dominated before you can get out your fatties. As a bonus, if played early, your fatties will survive.
- Bloodgift Demon A 5-mana flying, demonized Phyrexian Arena. A total bomb.
- Read the Bones or Night's Whisper or Ambition's Cost Card Draw for a budget.
- Whip of Erebos Can be ridiculously overpowered in this deck.
- Lightning Greaves Haste and protection for 2 mana. Probably worth the investment, as it can be a powerhouse in most decks.