Suspend 3— (Rather than cast this card from your hand, pay and exile it with three time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter. when the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost.)
: Gain one mana of any colour.
|Want (2)||Rinan , gnarly|
Printings View all
|Modern Horizons (MH1)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Mox Tantalite Discussion
1 day ago
Creator of Drauthi, Aether-Guardian, I am sad to say that no one can make cards that allow you to pay alternate costs or have "mana cost less than" printed on them. The reason is because of these 8 cards:
Some of these are better than others, but all are broken when combined with cards like what you listed
1 week ago
Ooh, reanimator. Some thoughts about the deck:
- You may not be playing enough lands/mana sources, even if you're not having so many mana troubles like you say, considering that your curve peaks at around CMC 3-4. I normally aim for 34 minimum. If you have access to Mana Crypt, Mox Diamond, and/or Chrome Mox, I'd definitely run one or more of those. (Mox Tantalite could be a good back-up if needed.) Otherwise, maybe upping your land count to 34 or so would probably help, or throwing in things like Land Tax and Sylvan Library to help you find your land cards. (Smothering Tithe, as you said, is a great ramp spell... but you need the lands to cast it!) Other lands I could see as good additions are Murmuring Bosk and Eiganjo Castle.
- While your white is a splash, Thalia's Lancers is a fairly good tutor for your legendary stuff (and you have quite a bit of it!). In terms of tutors, I could suggest Entomb.
- Apart from the gold standard Reanimate and Animate Dead, a possibly interesting reanimation spell that might work in your deck is Living Death (and especially in a combo with Grave Pact!). You could also look into Journey to Eternity Flip, which gives you a repeatable reanimation effect (in land form!).
- For other kill spells, in your colors, Vindicate or Pernicious Deed are the ones that immediately come to mind.
1 week ago
Mana curve would be faster with Mox Diamond, Mox Tantalite, or Mox Opal, but I am keeping the cost down. Demonic Tutor would also be a welcome addition. Duplication spells would be fun as well, such asFlameshadow Conjuring and/or Copy Enchantment. For additional win con, I am thinking of adding Nicol Bolas, the Ravager Flip.
1 month ago
TolarianScientist, your concern is real. At the moment, I'm running 16 spells which deal with that concern:
- Basic Landcycling: Jhessian Zombies, Ancient Excavation, Migratory Route, Treacherous Terrain, Grave Upheaval and Sylvan Reclamation
- Mana Rocks: Chrome Mox, Lotus Bloom and Mox Tantalite
- Land Fetch: Frenzied Tilling, Deathsprout, Grisly Salvage and Exploding Borders
- The Lone Mana Dork: Leyline Prowler
- Also: Primal Amulet Flip and Coiling Oracle
The problem with mana dorks is that none of the best ones are color pairs. With any other 5-color commander, this decklist would look totally different.
I like your suggestion of borderposts. Right now, the Spells I'd most consider removing are Merfolk Skydiver, Rise of the Hobgoblins, Deathbringer Liege, Terminate and Dovin, Grand Arbiter. Of those spells, how many and which would you replace with borderposts of the same colors?
Sorry for the long response.
2 months ago
4 months ago
Hey! So I have a few suggestions. Feel free to ignore any/all of them:
Cantrips are your friend in combo decks. Preordain and Ponder are the gold-standard here, since they dig pretty deep for one mana. You're including Brainstorm is good, but I'm not sure it's good enough without non-mana intensive shuffle effects (i.e. some form of fetch lands) to make sure you don't accidentally lock yourself with two cards you don't want on top. While cards like Prismatic Vista and Scalding Tarn can be expensive, depending on your meta something like Terramorphic Expanse or Evolving Wilds might be good enough. Flood Plain and Bad River are also worth considering. Other cantrips ( Opt , Sleight of Hand , Serum Visions ...) are ok but should be considered secondary to Preordain and friends.
Grafdigger's Cage is currently one of the best hosers in EDH, and it does not stop Urza's ability (since Urza's ability exiles the card before casting it, you never cast spells directly from your library). I think it's better than Darksteel Relic , since it still taps for mana and can be a turn one play while having a direct effect on the board state. Tormod's Crypt is a similar card you may want to consider. I think Relic of Progenitus is better than Phyrexian Furnace , especially since you're not running Snapcaster Mage .
Everflowing Chalice seems like a good rock. I've never been a fan of Mox Tantalite , since taking several turns to hit the board is a major drawback. Everflowing Chalice is a slightly worse Mind Stone , but you can cast it for zero when Urza is on the field and have a build-your-own Mox Sapphire .
Retract and/or Hurkyl's Recall can act as pseudo- Paradoxical Outcome s for the purposes of rebuilding mana or building storm-count for Temporal Fissure . They're admittedly not as good, but since you're already running Paradoxical Outcome you may want a redundant card for that effect.
You may want to revisit your counter-suite. Consider substituting more efficient cards for Dissolve and/or Exclude , since three mana is a lot to pay for a counterspell. Things like Spell Snare , Dispel , Spell Pierce , Swan Song , Pact of Negation and/or Delay are all good ways to protect your combo without using too much mana.
I think Mystic Remora is probably better than Rhystic Study . First, it comes down faster (T1 or T2), which means it catches your opponents' rocks when they're casting them in the first few turns. Second, four mana is a lot less payable than one, so you're more likely to draw even in experienced metas. Finally, your strategy is typically going to be a combo strategy -- so you don't need a PERMANENT shield, just one that will last long enough to protect you until you go off with Urza.
Cyclonic Rift is the best board wipe in blue. It's $20 nowadays, but if you can afford one you should definitely run it.
Dig Through Time is an excellent card, as is Treasure Cruise (though I don't like cruise as much as dig in combo decks like this, since it sees fewer cards). Running one of them seems like a good idea.
Chain of Vapor is REALLY good. If you can cast it and bounce an opposing stax piece ( Cursed Totem , Collector Ouphe , Damping Sphere ), it rarely gets reflected. And even if it is, you're likely to just be able to recast whatever they bounce on your board. More importantly, you can use it to bounce a bunch of your low-cost artifacts to both net mana and build storm. So... yea.
4 months ago
Thanks! It definitely needs to be updated a bit given recent sets, and adding Mox Tantalite was a mistake, but it was a really fun deck to play and I'll probably put it together again sometime in the future.
4 months ago
I considered adding green for ramp, but it's hard to keep enough scarecrows in here to keep Reaper King fed.