Creature — Human Rogue Ally
Whenever Zulaport Cutthroat or another creature you control dies (is put into the graveyard from the battlefield), each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
|Have (3)||Squillis , Sengii ,|
|Want (6)||VGKanri , Rheem , dodormeur , jwalsh11894 , Holygrape , Chase76845|
Printings View all
|Zendikar Rising: Commander (ZNC)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2020 (C20)||Uncommon|
|Secret Lair (SLD)||Rare|
|Magic Game Night (GNT)||Uncommon|
|Masters 25 (A25)||None|
|Battle for Zendikar (BFZ)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Zulaport Cutthroat occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Zulaport Cutthroat Discussion
7 hours ago
Thanks for your comment. I am very happy about such comments, as it is difficult to keep an eye on every possible combination with over a thousand commanders, especially with such a commander like Ishkanah, which you don't meet in your LGS every day. Thanks to your comment, I can see more of the potential of Ishkanah. I you want to tune up your deck, I have some recommendations for that:
I would exchange:
- Panharmonicon has only 3 targets + your commander... I think that's not efficien enough I would rather play this beast of a card: Ohran Frostfang because this card converts your spiders into carddrawing killer spiders.
- Far Wanderings for Cultivate because it's more reliable and effective
- Vessel of Nascency for Jarad's Orders because this card is just a perfect tutor for decks like this
- Blood for Bones for Victimize
- Is Witchbane Orb one of your meta picks, because a lot of your opponents play curses or burn? If not, I would rather play more carddraw because you have to less of it in your deck. Play Sylvan Library (or Phyrexian Arena) instead
- Drown in Filth with either another good removal like Abrupt Decay; Caustic Caterpillar; Plaguecrafter (Force of Despair, Darkblast, Snuff Out, Force of Vigor, Tragic Slip etc.)
- Cut 2 Forests and a Swamp for Bala Ged Recovery Flip, Khalni Ambush Flip & Hagra Mauling Flip
- Grapple with the Past for Fiend Artisan/Phyrexian Arena/Opposition Agent
- Entomb for any other tutor like Demonic, Vampiric, Grim Worldly Tutor etc. or Buried Alive
I would play as many cool utility lands with a sacrifice effect and as many fetch lands as possible because they're needed for Delirium and have also great potential with the MVP in every graveyard deck Life from the Loam:
- Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse/Ash Barrens/Jund Panorama
- Prismatic Vista/Verdant Catacombs; Windswept Heath/Wooded Foothills/Bloodstained Mire etc. (If they're out of budget, you just can play the cool and cheaper utility lands and you'll be fine) Other cool lands: Grim Backwoods!!; Geier Reach Sanitarium, Drownyard Temple Phyrexian Tower, Emergence Zone, Haunted Fengraf, Buried Ruin I would also add Deserted Temple because it can produce together with Cabal Coffers + Rings of Brighthearth infinite black mana.
Carddraw or Cardadvantage:
- Ohran Frostfang!!
- Driven / Despair!!
- Sylvan Library!!
- Night's Whisper
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary
- Phyrexian Arena!!
- Journey to Eternity Flip
- Phyrexian Reclamation
- Fauna Shaman/Birthing Pod/Fiend Artisan/Survival of the Fittest/Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
Other good finishers/ combo pieces:
- Altar of the Brood / Blood Artist / Zulaport Cutthroat
- Craterhoof Behemoth or the budget version: End-Raze Forerunners / Overrun
- Triumph of the Hordes
Well, I'm sure that you already know what other options there are to tune up the deck. If you want to win consitenly I would add more ways to produce infinte mana like Nim Deathmantle + Priest of Gix + Ashnod's Altar or Magus of the Coffers + Staff of Domination OR another unigue and complicated way to filter infinite colorless mana with Basalt Monolith + Rings of Brighthearth is together with Mirage Mirror and a Swamp...
To make the whole thing more consistent you have play all green and black tutors, play fast mana like the Moxes, Mana Crypt/-Vault, Manadorks (Elvish Mystic/Elves of Deep Shadow/Llanowar Elves etc. and pack some premium removal in the deck to raise the power level. If you're interested we can brew a fringe competetive list together.
1 day ago
I agree, great deck name haha. You might consider these: Necroskitter, Blowfly Infestation, Crumbling Ashes, Black Sun's Zenith, Dusk Urchins, Seshiro the Anointed, Parallel Lives, Second Harvest, Parallel Evolution, Coat of Arms, Throne of the God-Pharaoh, Eldrazi Monument, Zulaport Cutthroat, Pitiless Plunderer, Species Specialist, Flourishing Defenses
2 days ago
Any thoughts on Blood Artist/Zulaport Cutthroat/Cruel Celebrant/etc.? Maybe not enough small creatures and/or recursion to make that whole package totally value in this deck, but I'm still a huge fan of them in general.
6 days ago
Hey, good work for your first Commander deck on a budget. You have several nice cards, but also many stinkers :)
There's 2x Inscription of Ruin which you can't have in Commander. Jungle Shrine has green in it's card color identity thus you can't play it because Edgar isn't green. With Edgar you want to lower the mana curve with more one/two/three drop Vamps. Edgar and Coat of Arms are the high CMC cards you want to cast, but before you cast them you want a more established army of Vamps which means the majority of the Vamps you play should be one, two or three drops. Low CMC Vamps are easier to cast thus you get faster token value from Edgar's eminence.
These one drop Vamps are fine plays in the early game while also being useful in the later parts of a game too.
- Forerunner of the Legion: Vamp tutor.
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir: flying, powerful repeatable effect to put counters on all your attacking Vamps.
- Rakish Heir: another repeatable effect to put counters on your Vamps.
- Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose: Sanguine Bond effect on a Vamp.
- Olivia's Bloodsworn: flying and haste enabler for Vamps.
- Vampire Nighthawk: flying/deathtouch is a good combination.
- Cruel Celebrant: Zulaport Cutthroat effect on a Vamp.
Drana is the most expensive price Vamp I'm suggesting, it's worth $5. Most of these Vamps have repeatable effects or flying which is helpful evasion for attacking in Commander. More low CMC Vamps makes Skullclamp better and it's one of your best sources of repeatable value to get ahead or recover to draw more Vamps; Open the Armory can tutor for it.
Consider more budget dual lands that ETB untapped?
- Unclaimed Territory
- Exotic Orchard
- Caves of Koilos
- Battlefield Forge
- Path of Ancestry: repeatable scry.
- Nomad Outpost
- Tainted Field: Swamps should be the most lands in the manabase.
Ancestry and Outpost always ETB tapped, but that's fine since next turn they can make any color of mana you need to cast cards. On a budget this color fixing is helpful.
I offer more advice including what cards to cut. Would you like more advice? Good luck with your deck.
1 week ago
Thanks rjphilla. I did consider putting Blood Artist in but went with Zulaport Cutthroat instead. They have the same mana cost but cutthroat is cheaper to buy and deals damage to each oppenent where as blood artists only deals damage to target player.
3 weeks ago
It looks like this deck is all about ramp, into even more ramp. While the symmetrical ramp effects seem like they can be a win condition in themselves given your commander's ability, I'd be wary of them, since your opponents can easily use those effects to beat you before the mana burn can take them out. Also, you only have 3 cards that I can see that prevent the mana from burning you too, and two of those only work for one color of mana. I think you may need to figure out what your win conditions are and add more in, probably in exchange for some of the ramp.
In a similar vein, how many creatures (besides your scute swarm tokens) do you really want to be sacrificing? Hecatomb and Primal Growth seem good in decks that have lots of sacrifice fodder, but most of your creatures seem like the kind you'd want to be keeping around.
Trepanation Blade seems more suited to a mill deck. any particular reason you included it here?
Braid of Fire seems like a terrible card in this deck. Since you don't have many permanents with mana sinks built in, and no mono-red instants, the only way to keep yourself from dying to this card is to have Leyline Tyrant or Horizon Stone out, which is hard to guarantee, even with the tutors in this deck. A card that will straight up kill you except in very specific circumstances, in which case it's kind of a win-more card, seems like a good one to toss.
Exploding Borders is way overcosted. It can do at most 3 damage to a player, and get you a basic land. The damage is negligible, so the only important part of the card is the land, which can be done for half the cost. If you really want that much ramp I'd suggest replacing it with Skyshroud Claim, which is the same mana cost, less colors to have to pay, gets you twice the lands, and gets them untapped. The fact that they have to be forests is balanced out by them not having to be basic.
You only have 7 landfall triggers that are affected by Ancient Greenwarden, and three of them are your bounce lands, forcing you to bounce two lands when you play them instead of just one. While getting an extra Scute Swarm trigger is nice, I don't think it's worth it in this deck that otherwise doesn't really care about landfall. The ability to play lands from your graveyard is already covered by two other, cheaper cards, so I'd cut this one.
3 weeks ago
Rakshasa Debaser: not bad on its own, and basically having aftermath: cast three Reanimate + some damage is pretty nice too
3 weeks ago
Zulaport Cutthroat isn't this card kinda bad? if an opponent kills one of your creatures on their turn, they'll get 6 colorless mana. Or are you counting on that?