|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
|New Phyrexia (NPH)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Artifact — Equipment
Living weapon (When this equipment enters the battlefield, create a 0/0 black germ creature token, then attach this to it.)
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each Swamp you control.
Equip ( can be paid for with either or 2 life.)
3 days ago
gradstudent: Oh, he's 100% going in here :D he's perfect for the deck.
sam171z: Thank you, both for your kind words and your incredibly helpful comments! In order:
I tested Black Market and had mixed feelings, I just don't want to spend 5 mana for a mana source that will only pay off the next turn, despite the high ceiling.
Diabolic Intent is in here already, but it's definitely awesome ;)
Puppeteer Clique is a very neat idea here, I'm honestly irritated I didn't think of it XD
Lashwrithe was awesome in this deck's predecessor (a Yahenni list) but I think I'll pass on it here (I have more efficient ways to win than Voltron IMO).
Priest of Forgotten Gods is awesome, but I feel like our Commander generally does the trick better. I'll contemplate :)
I don't think that Karn, Silver Golem fits here necessarily... but what DOES work amazingly (and I can't believe I've never thought of) is Karn, the Great Creator ! That's getting IMMEDIATELY slammed in here :D
3 days ago
Hey love the deck its got my vote. what is your take on Black Market , Diabolic Intent which could work better then Vampiric Tutor , Puppeteer Clique which with Mikaeus, its a repeatable primordail, Night Incarnate , even Lashwrithe can come as an unexpected beatdown, and Priest of Forgotten Gods . Will some of these Help, and when you get a chance, can you check out my deck, there are on your wall.
2 weeks ago
Hey, good start, but with Liliana as Commander consider expanding on the sacrifice theme? Sacrifice strategies with aristocrats can be good and powerful, but you need to commit to them with many sac outlets to make the payoffs for sacing creatures worth it. Cards such as Liliana herself, Pawn of Ulamog , Sifter of Skulls , Grim Haruspex , etc. are payoffs for sacing creatures, but they're lackluster without sac support.
Cards that are within your deck's budget to consider adding for sacrifice strategy:
- Viscera Seer
- Yahenni, Undying Partisan
- Carrion Feeder
- Ashnod's Altar or Altar of Dementia : Dementia is better than Ashnods for the strategies here because it's a repeatable enabler to get creatures into your graveyard, but it's also more expensive price.
- Blood Artist
Reanimation is a fine secondary strategy to use consider also expanding on it:
- Cryptbreaker : repeatable way to discard cards and get value in return.
- Stinkweed Imp : dredge is a fast and repeatable way to get creatures into your graveyard.
- Golgari Thug
- Putrid Imp
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : enabler to get cards into your graveyard and reanimation.
- Living Death : mass reanimation and mass sacrifice.
- Command the Dreadhorde : mass reanimation using life which you have a lot of in Commander.
Other cards to consider adding:
- Crypt Ghast : mono black staple.
- Necropotence : mono black staple, less good when you have to discard unless you have a tons of cards in hand.
- Mutilate : powerful board wipe when playing lots of Swamps.
- Bubbling Muck
- Sign in Blood
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel : great payoff for playing mono black.
- Bloodgift Demon
- Reliquary Tower
- Hero's Downfall
Cards to consider cutting (no order):
- Raise Dead
- Sword-Point Diplomacy
- Dark Dabbling
- Bone Harvest
- Dead Reckoning
- Death Denied
- Liliana's Spoils
- Swarm of Bloodflies
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir
- Barrier of Bones : can be upgraded.
- Cadaver Imp : can be upgraded.
- Spellbook : can be upgraded.
- Indulgent Tormentor : can be upgraded.
- Mindwrack Demon : can be upgraded.
- Puppeteer Clique : can be upgraded.
- Wailing Ghoul : can be upgraded.
- Ever After : can be upgraded.
- Ulamog's Crusher : eight drop.
- Visara the Dreadful : seven drop.
- Butcher of Malakir : seven drop.
- Necromantic Selection : seven drop redundancy that you don't need.
- Harvester of Souls : six drop redundancy that you don't need.
- Sifter of Skulls : redundancy that you don't need.
4 weeks ago
Dark Prophecy could be something to consider for opponents who have a lot of removal/board wipes... I think Profane Command with Liliana of the Dark Realms would be great for putting out swamps to consistently get creatures/devotion enablers in play... and then wi5th the "choose 2" from command you can get Gray Merchant of Asphodel from the yard as well as just drain life from the opponent.... Lashwrithe might be great to slap onto Vampire Nighthawk as well.
1 month ago
Mono black deckbuilder's toolbox is my big list of brew cards for mono black in modern.
Powerful enablers for them are cards like Blade of the Bloodchief Lashwrithe or Vampire Nocturnus / Drana, Liberator of Malakir which let you 'outsize' the majority of modern midrange. Yes, mono black can reliably eat goyfs.
Finally, you want disruption. Jam a ton of Duress variants, its what mono black does best, and stripping their removal options and card draw makes that 10/10 lifelink token you made by discarding a land and equipping lashwrithe very effective. Past that, plan your sideboard- ratchet bomb is basically mandatory as your only enchantment removal, but the rest is more standard modern fare.
1 month ago
KaiyanK Hi, I've played mono-black a whole bunch. Zombies is an interesting tribe with some cool options.
Right now you are setup as a slow aggro deck- the traditional fix to that is to become a fast aggro deck. You can pack a decent disruption package and zombie making enchantments to become more midrange so long as you pack card advantage tools. The important part is looking over your options and picking cards that work well together. I have a big list of mono black stuff I've made work in modern. Mono black deckbuilder's toolbox
Key options are;
Zombie Infestation +discard/graveyard shenanigans
Gurmag Angler best zombie in the format
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed easy combo fuel, if you can reach six mana
Languish Budget damnation dodged by big creatures.
2 months ago
Sidisi, Undead Vizier - self sac to tutor
Soulstinger - Self-sac fodder, puts -1/-1 counters on opponent/target creatures
Skinrender - Self-sac fodder, also puts -1/-1 counters on opponent/target creatures
Puppeteer Clique - Two free reanimation
Phyrexian Ghoul - Self-sac to pump up
Merciless Executioner - Forced board sac, your own creatures return sue to Mikeaus
Leaden Myr - 2-drop black mana dork
Grim Haruspex - Although it's a human, it provides card draw
Fallen Angel - Sac-fodder to pump out, also has flying
Falkenrath Noble - Nice passive ability with flying, also provides 1 life anytime a creature dies, including itself
2 months ago
Lashwrithe occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%