|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masterpiece Series: Kaladesh Inventions (MPS)||Mythic Rare|
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Mythic Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Imprint — When Chrome Mox enters the battlefield, you may exile a nonartifact, nonland card from your hand.
: Add one mana of any of the exiled card's colors to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Chrome Mox Discussion
30 minutes ago
Iquasi, thanks for posting this list. Yours is one of a very few non combo (or minimal combo) Animar lists that is being actively updated.
I am not playing Ancestral Statue but am interested in making the deck efficient outside of combo.
Survival of the Fittest is the only tutor I am playing that you are not.
What changes would you recommend to increase the efficiency of my deck without adding infinite combos?
14 hours ago
Ok, thanks for all the suggestions Demarge! I think I've actually looked at your deck for ideas previously. Yeah obviously Mind Stone should be Sol Ring, I moved a copy to another deck as I thought I'd found one a Judge one and then the deal fell through but I forgot to replace it. Dark Ritual is good but in this deck the ramp is limited because it only provides triple black, which doesn't help me cast Kaalia. If I'm going to go that way it'll be when I can afford to invest in a Chrome Mox or perhaps Mana Crypt/Mana Vault (again, my copies are in another deck atm). Rakdos the Defiler I'm not sold on. While a double trigger on a hit would be good I'm relying on using him with Kaalia to avoid sacking my own stuff, and can't stop that happening any time I want to attack after the first. Also with both him, Mother of Runes and Dragon Mage I'm not sure who to cut. I like all the creatures I run already and at the moment the only one I'd lose is Anya, for Belzenlok. Boros Charm is super strong though, don't know how I overlooked that!
2 days ago
I agree that Prowling Serpopard should go in but there might be an argument for Gaea's Herald over Vexing Shusher. Since Animar doesn't run many counterspells, you could look at Dosan the Falling Leaf as a way to stop both counters and removal spells on the turn you want to combo off. If you are willing to look at non-creature inclusions, Autumn's Veil is another option.
I would also suggest considering Scryb Ranger. It's ability can untap Kiki if the opponents tries to stop you from comboing with removal, which would allow you to keep the combo going. It can help with mana ramping by untapping mana dorks or just returning a Tropical Island or Taiga to be replayed if you don't have another land to drop that turn. Its Protection from Blue also makes it a surprisingly viable blocker against a lot of the more aggressive commanders.
Because your life total is only 20 in Duel Commander, red decks are a lot more viable. Lightning Bolt sees a lot of play, as do other burn spells, which means that there are a lot more removal options floating around that can hit Animar. Lots of decks also run a Vintage format style package of blue and black counters and removal. Animar itself doesn't need to worry about the black spot removal but it does have to look out for the higher percentage of blue bounce spells. All of this makes Animar more fragile than it is in cEDH, so you will have to both play the deck more carefully and possibly shave some of the cards that are in for consistency out for a slightly higher concentration of cards that can function as stand-alone threats.
Animar decks used to see around a 1% meta play-rate at duel commander tournaments but was still powerful enough that for a while it was on their watch-list as a potential commander that needed to be banned. Now it looks like it sees less play than that, which is likely due to the life total being dropped from 30 to 20 and making red more viable in the format.
4 days ago
I'd recommend focusing on Aura and adding a few key Equipment to support, or vice versa. Trying to run both may stretch the deck too thin and lack focus.
Card Draws and Tutors
Mesa Enchantress is a great card, as a redundancy for Sram, to help with card draw since card draw effects are rare for mono white decks.
Idyllic Tutor though restrictive, is the rare few enchantment tutors out there.
There are plenty of equipment tutors available should you chose to go that route though.
Sigil of the Empty Throne is a useful alternate Wincon if you're able to keep spamming auras/enchantments and provide you with some blockers in the air.
Replenish is useful recursion for your enchantments but use with caution. If someone removes all your creatures while this is on the stack, you'd be left with no choice but to put even the "good" auras on your opponents' creature(s) instead.
Open the Vaults a symmetrical spell that benefits your opponents too and cost 2 CMC more than Replenish. Worth considering if you need more redundancy for Replenish or play in a mass destroy heavy meta.
Second Sunrise Imho, it's a "Winmore" and very situational. Just putting it here so you've more options.
Magus of the Balance is an interesting card as it doesn't affect enchantments and artifacts. If you run a Voltron strategy, chances are, you're usually the player with the least creature on the battlefield.
Winds of Rath is a necessary board wipe that excludes your enchanted creature(s).
Being mono white, we've to rely entirely on artifacts to ramp us.
Mana Crypt casting cost that provides per turn, I'd gladly take the damages!
Pearl Medallion help makes your white spells cheaper.
Caged Sun Mirari's Wake without the need for Green.
Chrome Mox Good to have but not absolutely critical.
6 days ago
Well i know my land base is low i was targeting to go near 36-38 lands, but i wasnt sure if the better option would be to add cards like Lotus Petal and Chrome Mox and maybe even Talisman of Indulgence and others or add basic land and maybe other good dual lands or utility lands i'm missing !
And I'll write the main goal tonight so you can better understand, while technically im trying to overun everyone with vampire that will drain each opponent as fast as possible with the possibility of the infinite combo Sanguine Bond and Exquisite Blood. Maybe some burn cards could help too?
Thanks again mate :)
1 week ago
Good to hear from another Kalemne player! I would be happy to share what I know!
I used Sigarda's Aid in here for about half a year, from just after it was printed in summer 2016 until around that winter if I remember correctly. I ended up taking it out because my play style involves casting most of my equipment before Kalemne even hits the field, so it didn't end up being that useful. It allows for some pretty hilarious interactions with things like Sun Titan, but otherwise it just seemed like a "win more" card to me. I needed to use the card slot for more important things. If you like casting your commander first and then casting protective equipment afterwards, then Sigarda's aid should work just fine for you! I just don't feel safe having Kalemne be on the field naked for even one turn
As for my mana sources, you would be surprised at just how consistent this deck is! Land Tax and Sword of the Animist make good use of all 15 basic lands that I'm running, and they allow for constant value throughout the game, always keeping me on curve. This is also one of the few decks in all of Magic that heavily profits from Inspiring Statuary because I run a good balance of artifacts and non-artifact spells! With it on the field, it means that all 17 artifacts that I run that have no tap abilities count as mana rocks too! It is also hilarious when I get Inspiring Statuary and Howling Mine on the field at the same time :P Lastly, Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, and Chrome Mox all need no explanation, they are all fantastic!
After extensive play testing over the years, this decks feels as consistent as any non-green dualcolor deck can reasonably get with its mana base, and if you don't trust me, you can try it out for yourself :)
1 week ago
Just my thoughts on your suggestions.
1) Price of Progress is definitely a great card for this style of deck, but I much rather prefer permanent effects that ping opponents. It seems like a fantastic finisher later in the game however seems like a very dead card early.
2) I had Iroas, God of Victory in my list earlier and I think its great for Markov. It just happened to be one of the cuts I made earlier when building/testing this deck. Dolmen Gate is another lower CMC card that I've also tested and have found to be useful.
3) Honestly due to how low of a curve this deck functions on you really don't need much ramp/fast mana. Of the Moxen you suggested, the only one I would consider running is Mox Diamond, since it can really help with color fixing. Chrome Mox, makes you lose too much tempo by pitching a card that would be far more useful in play than as fodder for ramp (I tested this in earlier iterations of this deck). As for Mox Amber, I really am not a fan of the card; it ends up being way too inconsistent as it relies on you having a legendary permanent out to do anything.
4) Wheel of Fortune is definitely not in my list due to cost reasons. Amazing for this list though.
5) I have tested Yawgmoth's Will in this deck in the past. Good card for the list for sure, I just chose to use it in another deck and since this is one of my more casual decks I didn't feel bad removing it from this deck.
6) You hit the nail on the head about Aether Vial. I'm using 1-drops to get eminence triggers out early to swarm opponents. Aether Vial really goes against what I'm trying to accomplish since it bypasses the eminence triggers.
7) Falkenrath Aristocrat is a great aggro card, you curve very nicely into it on turn 3/4, it is evasive, has haste and can protect itself; this card is exactly what I'm looking for in this deck for later turns. Vona, Butcher of Magan is a vampire that functions as repeatable removal (my meta calls for a lot of removal) and as a larger body for later turns; I really don't want to be playing 1-drops on turn 5+ and would rather be playing larger threats which is why it's important to curve into these larger vampires. Vampire Nighthawk is def a pet card of mine, but that's not really the reason I run it. It has so many useful keywords on it that make it an extremely valuable threat. I have had all three (Mirror Entity, Adaptive Automaton and Taurean Mauler) in my list before and I think they are all fine cards to run, I've just replaced them with cards that are lower on the curve as I found I had too many cards in the 3CMC slot.
8) Had Lightning Greaves in the list earlier, the mass haste is far more valuable in this deck as it lets you get more damage out earlier. While the protection you get from greaves is nice, I've found running mass protection/recursion spells to be far more useful in this deck since you're almost always trying to protect your board rather than individual creatures. I had Olivia, Mobilized for War in my list also at one point and even though it's a great haste enabler, more often than not I found myself not wanting to discard cards to its effect or not even having cards to discard for its effect.
9) I think Elenda, the Dusk Rose is better suited to an aristocrats style deck as it is more reliable if you have more sacrifice outlets (which my deck doesn't really run much of). I think it's a fantastic card to provide resilience against board wipes assuming you have the pieces to get that big payoff of tokens. I feel the same way about Bloodtracker; I think it's a fantastic card but like Elenda I think it requires too much setup in my list for the payoff I'm expecting it to provide. I've been running Bloodtracker in my Marchesa, the Black Rose deck and have been loving it, but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that it has far more synergy with the game plan of that deck than my Edgar Markov deck. As for Bloodcrazed Paladin, I'm not a fan of it after trying it out when Ixalan came out. It's a very reactive card, so you tend to hold onto it and unlike Elenda, its payoff is consolidated into one threat (itself) rather than a board of tokens.
1 week ago
@Trapables running budget dual lands like Clifftop Retreat over Plateau and the expeditions takes a large chunk out of the price on this list. Same with cards like Boros Signet over Chrome Mox or Mana Crypt. It's only a select few pieces that make this list so ass-expensive.
But thanks for the constructive comment.