|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters Edition IV||Rare|
|Classic Sixth Edition||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
- Ashnod's Altar + Breya, Etherium Shaper + Eldrazi Displacer
- Ashnod's Altar + Sword of the Meek + Thopter Foundry
- Ashnod's Altar + Nim Deathmantle
- Can I boost Murderous Redcap's Power before its triggered ability resolves?
- If I have both Sharuum the Hegemon and Sculpting Steel on the battlefield, can I infinitely sac one of them to Ashnod's Altar?
- Am I missing something?...
- Can you sac Tetravus with undying at the beginning of upkeep to create infinite tokens?
- please explain to me further regarding the rule"You cannot sacrifice a creature that is already on its way to the graveyard"
Sacrifice a creature: Add to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Ashnod's Altar Discussion
4 hours ago
Game vs. Niv-Mizzet, Dragonlord Dromoka, Life-gain.
T2 Sol Ring into bounce double.
T5 combo: Use 2 mana to activate Dave's token production twice. With Cathars' Crusade giving counters Dave will stay at 5 counters, the first Token (lets call him Jeff) will have two counters., and the second token (Harry) will have 1 counter.
Now we sacrifice Harry to Ashnod's Altar giving us 2 mana, and use one to activate Dave and get a new Harry. This gives Jeff a new counter and leaves one mana floating. Every time we repeat this cycle Jeff will get another counter and we will gain another floating mana.
Jeff can now be grown infinitely (or arbitrarily) large and for every floating mana we can, using Dave, remove a counter to create a new token which triggers Cathar's again giving everything a counter. This results in an infinitely large Dave, an infinitely large Jeff, and an infinite number of Harrys. The counters on the Harrys will start at one and increase by one for each repetition of the cycle (2, 3, etc.).
Moving to combat on T5 I swung Dave at the player with no blockers.
Nobody had a sufficient answer so T6 I swung half of infinity at each remaining opponent.
It was super cool to see the combo hit on my first night of play. I publicly removed Ashnod's to kill the infinite loop and carried on the next few games.
17 hours ago
22 hours ago
23 hours ago
Mortiferus_Rosa, there was never a solid commitment to going the route of tokens. Never a plan that required them from the start...just a manifestation of certain strategies that came together as such.
Very rarely does this deck win off of total Commander damage kills or attacking until life is at zero. The majority of the time, my wins come out of locking up the entire board through sac and attrition. So initially, tokens ended up being good blocking fodder until strategies manifested...then tokens became a more efficient way to get that Experience Count up faster...then finally, certain components of the deck used tokens crazy-efficiently.
I suppose it started with Awakening Zone, which I will always find to be an auto-include in any Commander deck running Green. The exponential mana / chump blockers are a no-brainer, especially when it comes to increasing Commander cast costs.
Finally, it all came together with additions such as Butcher of Malakir, Grave Pact, Dictate of Erebos, etc...to completely lock out multi-player scenarios. This has been the usual way in which games are ending with this deck.
That's not to say that I only sac tokens and forego getting quality card creatures into the 'yard that I can bring back with their ETB's using Meren, but it gives me options.
Hope that gives you a good window into the mentality of the deck's construction thus far. The deck's gone through roughly 8-mos of metamorphosis...heavy in the beginning and certainly slowed recently as its been pretty well-tuned by the conversations here with the community.
1 day ago
You actually have another set of infinite combos in there that you could mention, Eldrazi Displacer goes infinite with either Krark-Clan Ironworks or Ashnod's Altar and Breya. Blink her to produce infinite thopters and mana, then sac and burn.
I see you have Padeem, Consul of Innovation in your maybeboard and I must say that I think he and Lightning Greaves should be auto includes in any Breya list. They protect each other so well and he draws you cards! I've had people scoop to those two cards hitting the board. What are you gonna do? Wait and hope to draw into a boardwipe while I finish setting up my combo?
Plus with you running Planar Bridge, you're going to want to protect your high mana sink artifacts as best you can.
Just my thoughts, aside from that I love the more creature based approach. +1!
1 day ago
Hi everyone,I'm working on fine tuning my sac outlets for a steal and sac Vorel Build I made. Does anyone have any good outlets besides the ones I know? Currently I'm using:
Natural Order: More restrictive, but strong
Ashnod's Altar: Instant Speed, Sac as many as you want
Scourge of Skola Vale: Can tutor
Evolutionary Leap: Lots of value, good with tokens
Culling Dais: Works well with Commander
Thanks everyone!I'm sure there may be other ones, some which might be better.
Link to Deck: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/vorel-simic-mind-controltokens-sacrifice/
1 day ago
Why didn't you just update your Spring Into Death deck list? There's only like 2 cards different, haha.
Now on to the real meat:
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed Combo
- Turn 1: Play a one drop ramp creature.
- Turn 2: Play Buried Alive and fetch Mike and Triskelion.
- Turn 3: Play Victimize, bring Mike and Trike out and ping infinitely to win.
Or tutor for Defense of the Heart and win the turn after you cast it.
Necrotic Ooze Combo
- Play Buried Alive or Survival of the Fittest.
- Grab and put Triskelion and Phyrexian Devourer into the graveyard, and get Necrotic Ooze into play.
- Make sure Necrotic Ooze gets out last if using Survival to tutor them.
- Remove all cards from your library to burn opponent(s) for the CMC of all cards in your library.
Once it's out, the only thing that can interrupt this is Split Second since you can respond by adding and removing counters.
Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord Combo
This requires some knowledge of how the stack works.
- Exile cards from your library until Phyrexian Devourer's ability is put on the stack.
- In response to the ability, continue exiling cards to beef him up more.
- Still before allowing the sacrifice to resolve, sack him to Jarad to smack your opponents for a ton of damage, similarly to the aforementioned Ooze-combo.
Colorless Mana Combo
- Have/get Ashnod's Altar in play.
- Play Nim Deathmantle.
- Play Grave Titan, pop up two 2/2 tokens.
- Sack the two tokens to Altar, then sack Titan to get a total of six .
- Use 4 of that to make Deathmantle grab Titan back and get you two more tokens
Repeat this as many times as desired, netting 2 colorless mana every loop.
2 days ago
I think if you also run Sphere of Safety it would stack nicely with Propaganda and Ghostly Prison
I'd also consider swapping Karn for Tezzeret the Seeker or even adding him. Tutoring artifacts seems necessary in this. Especially when you can minus-0 and grab Ancient Den, Seat of the Synod, Mana Crypt, etc.