Back:Ormendahl, Profane Prince
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Shadows over Innistrad (SOI)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
: Add to your mana pool.
, , Pay 1 life: Put a 1/1 white and black Human Cleric creature token onto the battlefield.
, , Sacrifice five creatures: Transform Westvale Abbey, then untap it.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (34)||ibraJG84 , Caldazar , Ferritt , mcstang1986 , RPG_FOX , Sparky41 , Clawsun73 , the.beanpole , abby315 , Zhorus_The_Bauqret , TheRealPeaches , saj0219 , Vasbear1 , snackeater , Spinalripper , perrin515 , warcry02 , RedSinR , westdoorblowsnow , LaKU , Lindough , DrPopular , carsickpanda273 , geazykagar , prete182 , Matgic , Nemesis , Rez09 , TehDelta , Snydog17 , joshw335 , frederiklw , mziter501 , thetechzombie|
|Want (8)||brokendwarf , DudeMan1031 , vashaclarens , MoJoMiXuP , , Turtlelover73 , Ariumlegion , moonmonster|
Westvale Abbey Discussion
1 day ago
3 days ago
Hey Tethys, thanks for the comment and upvote! Your well thought out comment is perfect, and I appreciate the advice. I am not a Mardu player by trade. I'm almost always dabbling in Azorius, Esper, and Dimir.
As for 1), I completely agree. In fact, these thoughts have been running through my mind regarding this deck. I hate Blood Moon, so I think your advice is exactly what I was needing.
2), I also dislike relying on Westvale Abbey Flip for the same reasons you listed. I've not run Vault of the Archangel before, but I see why it would be a better utility land for this deck. Could lead to a lot of blowouts.
3)+4), Another good point. I've replaced them with Pithing Needle and Nihil Spellbomb accordingly. This may sound like a dumb question, but why Nihil Spellbomb over Relic of Progenitus? For that matter, would Tormod's Crypt be best for this deck, considering it revolves around Monastery Mentor?
4 days ago
+1, Nice deck! Four things though regarding fine-tuning it:
1) Given this deck's mana requirements, the importance (and prevalence) of Turn 1 and 2 disruption spells, and the relevance of these cards in playing around Blood Moon, I'm not sure your spread of basics is optimal. At very least, I would advocate running 1/2/2 Mountain/Plains/Swamp over the deck's current 2/2/1, and personally, would probably go even further and run 1/1/2 Mountain/Plains/Swamp and up the number of Marsh Flats from 1 to 2. Four basics is totally sufficient IMO, and this would still leave you with 9 fetchable lands for 7 fetches.
For comparison, I have been tuning the land base for B/W Tokens for a long time and have found the optimal distribution to be 9 fetches to 6 fetchable lands (four of which are basics). Granted, that is for a two color deck and you are definitely going to have to run more Shocks than I do, but I can tell you that 2 mountains and 2 plains in a 19 land deck is inevitably going to result in more mulliganed hands due to mana conflicts. On that note, your total land count also seems a little low even given the four Baubles. Getting Monastery Mentor out relatively early is usually pretty important, so I would bump the total land count up to 20.
2) To an extent this is personal preference, but I think you are going to get more value from running Vault of the Archangel for your colorless utility land than you would from Westvale Abbey Flip. Your deck has a solid amount of mainboard lifegain opportunities already, but it's hard to overstate the value of being able to turn your 1/1 tokens into Deathtouch killing machines against decks like Eldrazi Tron, Grixis Shadow, Merfolk, Humans, etc. On the other hand, even if you are able to ultimate Westvale Abbey Flip, which is less often in practice than you might think, Ormendahl simply dies to Path.
3) I assume you have Slaughter Games in the sideboard for Combo hate, but in a 19 or even 20 land deck, that card is going to be too slow in practice most of the time, especially against Storm. Surgical Extraction is far and away the superior card, especially given that you are running 8 discard spells.
4) Your suite of sideboard graveyard hate is very strong, and if your meta is filled with Storm and Snapcaster decks, I can't argue with your choices, but given that RIP significantly devalues your own copies of Lingering Souls, I would at least advocate considering Nihil Spellbomb as an alternative, both for the fact that it is one-sided, as well as for the value of the cantrip.
1 week ago
Hey! Another user has also expressed interest in my Tezzeret the Seeker , so is there any chance you would be OK to swap him for a Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas and you add in your Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip? Trade would look like this:
- Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip, $7.33
- Thoughtseize, $16.99
- Wooded Foothills, $16.52
- Westvale Abbey Flip, $3.87
- Total: $44.71
(I used mtggoldfish.com prices)
2 weeks ago
One Thoughtseize is better than none, I always say :)
That trade sounds good to me, but is there anything in my binder worth $3-$4 that you would like in order for me to "upgrade" Westvale Abbey Flip into Thought-Knot Seer? If not, that trade works for me as-is.
2 weeks ago
I play a Shadowborn Apostle deck and find we have alot of the same cards. Although my guys are cheaper than the rats and I am always trying to kill mine off. But there are a couple cards I find handy and you might too:
Desperate Research - I found this works great in my Apostles.
Dictate of Erebos - A second flashing Grave Pact might be nice.
2 weeks ago
I agree that Westvale Abbey Flip should have been included, but there are plenty of nice cube cards in the set that I'd be happy to get. Jace, Huntmaster, and Garruk are the ones I'm most excited about.
2 weeks ago
I dont like Arguel's Blood Fast being in it, but otherwise Im fine with what it has and may buy it.